Donation page to buyout Pitino - Fire Him!

Just by being a top 5 conference defensive team we would have won many more games. There are many coaches who would do that.
I don’t even want to argue his point. Even if he is right, it’s a stupid point

Nice win last night. Obviously does not remove Pitino from hot seat whatsoever. Consistency has been his biggest problem. Need to win more games, more consistently.

You miss the point. Pitino should be dinged for recruiting. Kudos though for coaching a team up that had two players and getting them to the verge of the dance. He has done an excellent job of maximizing the talent he has. Also maximized talent in 16-17 and 18-19. (17-18 wiped out with injuries.) Not sure if any other coach could have done better with these teams.
This is absolutely a crazy assessment!!! I TRULY think this last sentence is entertaining as all get out Mrs. Pitino!!

This is absolutely a crazy assessment!!! I TRULY think this last sentence is entertaining as all get out Mrs. Pitino!!

Well, for Richard's sake hope the real Mrs. Pitino is better looking than the one to whom you are addressing your post.
But not at all crazy. 2016-17 team came out of nowhere, gelled the 2nd half of the season, and earned a 5 seed. Most likely would have won at least one tourney game if not for losing Springs and then Mason playing on one leg. Basically that team had no bench but great job by Coach Pitino recognized then as COY.
2018-19 played with no point guard, but got it figured out and quite easily defeated a top ACC team in round one even though were given little chance. Even last season 8 wins in the toughest conference and five nail biter losses while basically having two players. I think he maximized his teams' talent to an impressive degree in these seasons.
I am evaluating coaching here, not recruiting. Last season we were of course short on talent and this season have been saved by transfers - we will see how it goes but seems a significant uptick in this area is needed.

Last edited:

Well, for Richard's sake hope the real Mrs. Pitino is better looking than the one to whom you are addressing your post.
But not at all crazy. 2016-17 team came out of nowhere, gelled the 2nd half of the season, and earned a 5 seed. Most likely would have won at least one tourney game if not for losing Springs and then Mason playing on one leg. Basically that team had no bench but great job by Coach Pitino recognized then as COY.
2018-19 played with no point guard, but got it figured out and quite easily defeated a top ACC team in round one even though were given little chance. Even last season 8 wins in the toughest conference and five nail biter losses while basically having two players. I think he maximized his teams' talent to an impressive degree in these seasons.
I am evaluating coaching here, not recruiting. Last season we were of course short on talent and this season have been saved by transfers - we will see how it goes but seems a significant uptick in this area is needed.
You still have to use facts. 48-83 does not lie. Every coach could be defended by injuries. We recruit about even with UW and fall way short of them in results. Just conference coach of the year. Did not be a top ACC team, they were 10-8 and 6th in their own conference, miles behind UVA,UNC, Duke. He is not known nationally as a great teacher. He has many good points.

Pitino has to be signing off on your paychecks. This is such a bizarre and delusional assessment. I was laughing out loud reading this. The results are the results no matter how you spin it. We are here to win games and that’s it. I would love to hear you justify the 48-83 big ten record and how that’s an amazing record.

Pitino has to be signing off on your paychecks. This is such a bizarre and delusional assessment. I was laughing out loud reading this. The results are the results no matter how you spin it. We are here to win games and that’s it. I would love to hear you justify the 48-83 big ten record and how that’s an amazing record.

Am not Mrs. P nor do I receive a stipend but am happy to provide you a little mirth this time of year. Certainly Coach's bigten record was affected by two seasons of injury/suspension that wiped out those seasons, but my point is by season's end he gets the most out of the talent he has. See post 215.

Am not Mrs. P nor do I receive a stipend but am happy to provide you a little mirth this time of year. Certainly Coach's bigten record was affected by two seasons of injury/suspension that wiped out those seasons, but my point is by season's end he gets the most out of the talent he has. See post 215.
Why do you think that. His end of season stretch of games has been atrocious , EXCEPT for one ok year. Perhaps you just have a lower standard for what you think is good.

If he does not make the dance this year he is gone.

OK, This is my first post in 6-8 years. Coaching replacement threads draw me in like a moth to a flame.

1) Since the 1997 Final Four team, the Gophers have had THREE winning conference records.
2) The Badgers have now had a better conference record for 22 years in a row.

Just two of the reasons I haven't been around for years.

I an not a betting man but, if I was, I would bet that he won't. This team has too many fundamental weaknesses.
Understand. I like some of the things i see for a team to get closer and get better. I also do not see more than two consistent teams across the country so far and not a huge gap between number 1-4 in the conference and 5-10

OK, This is my first post in 6-8 years. Coaching replacement threads draw me in like a moth to a flame.

1) Since the 1997 Final Four team, the Gophers have had THREE winning conference records.

thank you for your honesty.

Nice to hear from you!

Last night in bed before turning in, my wife asked, how long were Monson and Smith here compared to Pitino? Richard has now outlasted both Dan and Tubby in terms of tenure. Monson was fired during the non-conference portion of his 8th season. He's a survivor!

Nice to hear from you!

Last night in bed before turning in, my wife asked, how long were Monson and Smith here compared to Pitino? Richard has now outlasted both Dan and Tubby in terms of tenure. Monson was fired during the non-conference portion of his 8th season. He's a survivor!
And Dan had the most difficult job of the three by a lot.

He's been here way too long for this to be an excuse every year. If you're constantly recruiting players who get suspended, that's the risk that you take. If injuries destroy your season every year, recruit more depth.

Can you imagine how good Tubby's team would have been if Devoe Joseph and Royce White were never suspended? If Al Nolan and Trever Mbakwe were never injured?

We could have been REALLY good.

Why do you think that. His end of season stretch of games has been atrocious , EXCEPT for one ok year. Perhaps you just have a lower standard for what you think is good.

Job of coach is by end of season to have exceeded expectations. Happened in both 18-19 (those two wins over a highly rated Purdue team were nice) and 16-17. Most eveybody would classify those seasons as successful and enjoyable. 17-18 of course was wiped out. Last season we also exceeded expectations as explained in post 215.

Last season we were undermanned from a talent perspective. This season has yet to play out. The jury is still out on our freshmen - sophomore classes. At the end of the day it is not good enuf to have the talent to only be on ncaa bubble consistently. We will see.

Last edited:

He's been here way too long for this to be an excuse every year. If you're constantly recruiting players who get suspended, that's the risk that you take. If injuries destroy your season every year, recruit more depth.

Can you imagine how good Tubby's team would have been if Devoe Joseph and Royce White were never suspended? If Al Nolan and Trever Mbakwe were never injured?

We could have been REALLY good.

Tubby was dismissed largely because talented underclassmen were leaving his program and recruiting had slipped. Mbakwe never played for us so wouldnt consider him imo. But yes, it certainly is fair to consider injuries when evaluating Tubby.

Tubby was dismissed largely because talented underclassmen were leaving his program and recruiting had slipped. Mbakwe never played for us so wouldnt consider him imo. But yes, it certainly is fair to consider injuries when evaluating Tubby.

You mean Royce right? I agree Tubby's potential for those two years were better than any Richard team. Injuries are part of the deal. I have seen one team overachieve with Richard imo. That was the Amir's freshman year.

He (White) was enrolled at the U and was suspended. How is that any different than Reggie Lynch being suspended for Pitino?

Tubby really has one bad class (they were FR when he was dismissed), I don't think recruiting had a lot to do with him being dismissed. His previous class was Joe Coleman and Andre Hollins - both were ranked higher than anyone in our last class.

He (White) was enrolled at the U and was suspended. How is that any different than Reggie Lynch being suspended for Pitino?

Tubby really has one bad class (they were FR when he was dismissed), I don't think recruiting had a lot to do with him being dismissed. His previous class was Joe Coleman and Andre Hollins - both were ranked higher than anyone in our last class.
I really am struggling to understand Golf's logic. He said we overachieved last year when we finished near the bottom of the Big Ten with 2 all-conference players, 1 was drafted. Also if we have a lack in talent how is that not on Pitino. I just don't understand any of his arguments. Even 2 years ago we lost 6 of 7 before Amir Coffey just went F it mode and took over. Where is he getting this Pitino teams perform well late when that is the opposite of what actually happens

You mean Royce right? I agree Tubby's potential for those two years were better than any Richard team. Injuries are part of the deal. I have seen one team overachieve with Richard imo. That was the Amir's freshman year.

Oops, good catch. Will never forget being at the game when mbakwe and boys beat #1 indiana and watching my young sons rush the floor with all the college age kids.
Fun times.

I really am struggling to understand Golf's logic. He said we overachieved last year when we finished near the bottom of the Big Ten with 2 all-conference players, 1 was drafted. Also if we have a lack in talent how is that not on Pitino. I just don't understand any of his arguments. Even 2 years ago we lost 6 of 7 before Amir Coffey just went F it mode and took over. Where is he getting this Pitino teams perform well late when that is the opposite of what actually happens

Apparently nobody agrees with or understands me so you are in good company. Regarding last season, after carr and oturu will you agree that our other players would basically have not started on any other big ten team? So our starters were a 2nd and 3rd? team all conference players and 3 bench caliber players. Yet we finished 8-12 in the toughest conference and 5 of our losses were nail biters. To me that speaks of good coaching and poor recruiting.

Apparently nobody agrees with or understands me so you are in good company. Regarding last season, after carr and oturu will you agree that our other players would basically have not started on any other big ten team? So our starters were a 2nd and 3rd? team all conference players and 3 bench caliber players. Yet we finished 8-12 in the toughest conference and 5 of our losses were nail biters. To me that speaks of good coaching and poor recruiting.

If you can't recruit good players, you can't win consistently. You don't need all 5 stars to win but you need enough talent and enough guys that fit your system otherwise you'll get fired.

The reason Coach K, Wooden, Summit, Auriemma, Knight, etc etc etc are all good is because they have good players. How did they get those good players? They paid them! (or recruited them) and that is why they win.

Tony Bennett doesn't have a team of 5 stars but he has talented guys that fit his system really well. It is on him if he has untalented guys that don't fit his system.

Pitino having a shit bench, no depth and guys that don't fit whatever his system is falls on him, as the head coach.

2012 was the debacle clasd of charles buggs and wally ellenson. 2013 commits to tubby were 3 guys who were going to be nearly as bad (cant remember their names.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom