Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

Despite the other thoughts, I think the fact we are playing this slower than some indicates our coach is coaching this weekend.

I expect him to be named after Cleveland St loses.

The fact Boston College (where Gates' wife works in the AD office) hired someone else, may indicate he is interested in a different job.

He also turned away Penn State.

Would Indiana hire him? Doubtful.

He is from Chicago, so DePaul likely interests him. But, that isn't a better job than Minnesota.

Last edited:

The fact Boston College (where Gates' wife works in the AD office) hired someone else, may indicate he is interested in a different job.

He also turned away Penn State.

Would Indiana hire him? Doubtful.

He is from Chicago, so DePaul likely interests him. But, that isn't a better job than Minnesota.
Interesting take. On paper DePaul should be a great job but it has been miserable for more than a generation. I am open to discussion but I think the Big East is an easier place to win than B1G. Not as strong from top to bottom. DePaul could be a place to cut your teeth as a high major coach or bury a career.

Interesting take. On paper DePaul should be a great job but it has been miserable for more than a generation. I am open to discussion but I think the Big East is an easier place to win than B1G. Not as strong from top to bottom. DePaul could be a place to cut your teeth as a high major coach or bury a career.
Porter Moser loves DePaul

DePaul is also playing in a beautiful new arena, which isn't on campus. They also run into not being able to keep elite local talent at home. And, there are limitations there from a budget and exposure standpoint that Minnesota likely can exceed.

You're correct in saying DePaul is miserable. They haven't been to the NCAA Tourney in 17 years and haven't even been to the NIT in 14 years. They have finished last in their respective conference in 11 of the past 13 years.

Better than Dutcher, just no old guys please

he spent 8 years under Leonard Hamilton at FSU - which I think is great in my opinion.

41 years old - this looks like he could be a Fleck in the making

Honest question - - why do you prefer Gates to Moser?

I don't think he's looking to leave. He cold have maximized their FF run from the 17-18 season and stayed; I have to believe he could have left for greener pastures then. He might be the Pat Fitz for buckets. Not everyone is a climber - next year will be his 10th year.

Gates is a comer and if you can grab them while they're on the rise, they are less expensive, have a ton to prove and are looking for the next spot.

With the right coach we can be a top 5 Big 10 team regularly. I think that he is black is a bonus and checks that box as well

Last edited:

I don't think he's looking to leave. He cold have maximized their FF run from the 17-18 season and stayed; I have to believe he could have left for greener pastures then. He might be the Pat Fitz for buckets. Not everyone is a climber - next year will be his 10th year.

Gates is a comer and if you can grab them while they're on the rise, they are less expensive, have a ton to prove and are looking for the next spot.

Will the right coach we can be a top 5 Big 10 team regularly. I think that he is black is a bonus and checks that box as well

I think Moser leaves. I think it's tough to compare Loyola-Chicago basketball with a Big Ten Football coaching job. I think the only job he was seriously considered for in the last few years was St. Johns and no one in their right mind would want to live in New York (Totally JK).

That's a tough job. I think if you're him, you can hold out for the right next job, but I don't think he stays at Loyola-Chicago for another 3 seasons.

I think Moser leaves. I think it's tough to compare Loyola-Chicago basketball with a Big Ten Football coaching job. I think the only job he was seriously considered for in the last few years was St. Johns and no one in their right mind would want to live in New York (Totally JK).

That's a tough job. I think if you're him, you can hold out for the right next job, but I don't think he stays at Loyola-Chicago for another 3 seasons.

That's a good point - he might be above our level at this point - IU level etc...they can pay more, etc...and if you can get them to a high level again, you'll be a demi-god. He's a Midwesterner through and through, so maybe he doesn't want to leave the area and IU is his dream job.

Playing devil's advocate here, mostly for discussion and debate.

But, what makes Moser so great?

There's a reason he hasn't taken another job. He has really never had the chance. He did move from a mediocre four years at Arkansas-Little Rock and took the Illinois State job. He was later fired at Illinois State after going 22-50 in the MVC (.306 winning %) in his four seasons there.

Five years later he took the Loyola job and went another six years without an NCAA bid. So he was a head coach for 14 years and never made the Dance. He finally got in as an 11-seed thanks to the good fortune that Wichita State left the MVC the year before, opening things up for someone else to get the league's usual one bid. He got the Ramblers into the NCAA as an 11-seed in his 14th year as a head coach.

He made the magical Final Four run with some good play, but some really good luck. He was helped when the No. 1 seed in their region Virginia was upset by UMBC in the first-round. The number-two seed lost to Nevada. The number-four and number-five seeds were also upset. Moser had to beat six-seed Miami and three-seed Tennessee to get to the Sweet 16 (impressive), then beat seven-seed Nevada and nine-seed Kansas State to make the Final Four (easiest path to a Final Four in recent history). So, in all, he beat the 3-, 6-, 7-, and 9-seeds to make the Final Four. Impressive to be sure, but not exactly the usual path to the promised land. Once, they made the Final Four and his name got hot, it was mostly too late by that time to get in on any good, remaining or available jobs.

The very next year he went to the NIT and last year missed everything after losing in the opening round of the MVC Tournament. Not much brewing for job openings after either year.

This year he is back in the NCAA Tournament for the second time ever in his 17 years as a head coach.

He has a career conference winning % of exactly .500. He is .571 career overall win %. Two tourneys in 17 years.

I'm not saying he couldn't win here and I have enjoyed watching his teams play, they look well-coached. But, I don't think his resume is that impressive for a 52-year old with that many years as a head coach.

Last edited:

Playing devil's advocate here, mostly for discussion and debate.

But, what makes Moser so great?

There's a reason he hasn't taken another job. He has really never had the chance. He did move from a mediocre four years at Arkansas-Little Rock and took the Illinois State job. He was later fired at Illinois State after going 22-50 in the MVC (.306 winning %) in his four seasons there.

Five years later he later took the Loyola job and went another six years without an NCAA bid. So he was a head coach for 14 years and never made the Dance. He finally got in as an 11-seed thanks to the good fortune that Wichita State left the MVC the year before, opening things up for someone else to get the league's usual one bid. He got the Ramblers into the NCAA as an 11-seed in his 14th year as a head coach.

He made the magical Final Four run with some good play, but some really good luck. He was helped when the No. 1 seed in their region Virginia was upset by UMBC in the first-round. The number-two seed lost to Tennessee. The number-four and number-five seeds were also upset. Moser had to beat six-seed Miami and three-seed Tennessee to get to the Sweet 16 (impressive), then beat seven-seed Nevada and nine-seed Kansas State to make the Final Four (easiest path to a Final Four in recent history). So, in all, he beat the 3-, 6-, 7-, and 9-seeds to make the Final Four. Impressive to be sure, but not exactly the usual path to the promised land. Once, they made the Final Four and his name got hot, it was mostly too late by that time to get in on any good, remaining or available jobs.

The very next year he went to the NIT and last year missed everything after losing in the opening round of the MVC Tournament. Not much brewing for job openings after either year.

This year he is back in the NCAA Tournament for the second time ever in his 17 years as a head coach.

He has a career conference winning % of exactly .500. He is .571 career overall win %. Two tourneys in 17 years.

I'm not saying he couldn't win here and I have enjoyed watching his teams play, they look well-coached. But, I don't think his resume is that impressive for a 52-year old with that many years as a head coach.
This is why level-headed hiring process should always rule over getting caught up in a team or coach who has a nice and timely run in march madness one season, etc.. Same for latching onto a coach and having group-think take over. Every year a team gets on a run and result is a coach gets that next great job. Good for that coach and sometimes that works out eg Oats. Closer look (though) is always better. Which is why I continue to think Dutcher gets not near the credit he should. A good exercise is who do you envision on a sideline commanding equal or near equal respect to an Izzo. I guarantee Izzo and others see Dutcher that way, as well as Muss, but Muss not much above Dutcher, if at all. If Gophers end up with neither, it will be fine, but many continue to sell Dutcher way short.

Last edited:

Have you ever watched his teams play? I have. Nothing different than Pitino. One dribbles and the others stand around. Finally I cuts off a screen and they pass and shoot. Nothing special on defense. They won the MVC this year because Drake lost two kids, UNI lost the best player in the league and everyone was poor.

gotta disagree here. Is Mark Few old? Would you like to have Mark Few as a coach?
Is Mark Few in the running? No

He's also a full recruiting class younger than Dutcher

I am not being agist, I just don't want a 60+ year old guy, I don't need another Richard either.

Get me a coach who has paid his dues, couldn't vote when Raegan was Prez, knows how to coach (Patino does not) & can recruit

Is Mark Few in the running? No

He's also a full recruiting class younger than Dutcher

I am not being agist, I just don't want a 60+ year old guy, I don't need another Richard either.

Get me a coach who has paid his dues, couldn't vote when Raegan was Prez, knows how to coach (Patino does not) & can recruit
Who are you thinking would be a great hire, maybe your short list?

Have you ever watched his teams play? I have. Nothing different than Pitino. One dribbles and the others stand around. Finally I cuts off a screen and they pass and shoot. Nothing special on defense. They won the MVC this year because Drake lost two kids, UNI lost the best player in the league and everyone was poor.

I'm not a huge Mosher guy, but his teams have defended really well over the last couple years. This year they were ranked 1 on kenpom defensively.

You tell me yours? Is Few on there?
I have posted my thoughts previously so no need to repeat. The point should be obvious re Few which is we can get fixated on age. I see your point on recruiting cycle(s) but given the past 15+ years, a strong 4-6 years would look pretty good if we had the right coach. Getting the next coach becomes a lot easier.

I like many of the names being mentioned on this board and/but to overlook a Dutcher makes not a lot of sense. If we end up with a fast riser 40 year old great.

Cleveland State1965–664-14(N/A)--Jim Rodriguez
Cleveland State1966–678-13(N/A)--John McLendon
Cleveland State1967–687-15(N/A)--John McLendon
Cleveland State1968–6912-14(N/A)--John McLendon
Cleveland State1969–705-21(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1970–715-20(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1971–728-18(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1972–739-14(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1973–746-20(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1974–7513-11(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1975–766-19(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1976–7710-17(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1977–7812-13(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1978–7915-10(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1979–8017-9(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1980–8118-9(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1981–8217-10(N/A)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1982–838-20(1-4)--Ray Dieringer
Cleveland State1983–8414-16(4-10)--Kevin Mackey
Cleveland State1984–8521-8(11-3)--Kevin Mackey
Cleveland State1985–8629-4(13-1)NCAA, Sweet SixteenKevin Mackey
Cleveland State1986–8725-8(10-4)NIT, Second RoundKevin Mackey
Cleveland State1987–8822-8(11-3)NIT, Second RoundKevin Mackey
Cleveland State1988–8916-12(N/A)--Kevin Mackey
Cleveland State1989–9015-13(N/A)--Kevin Mackey
Cleveland State1990–9112-16(8-8)--Mike Boyd
Cleveland State1991–9216-13(7-9)--Mike Boyd
Cleveland State1992–9322-6(15-1)--Mike Boyd
Cleveland State1993–9414-15(9-9)--Mike Boyd
Cleveland State1994–9510-17(3-11)--Mike Boyd
Cleveland State1995–965-21(3-13)--Mike Boyd
Cleveland State1996–979-19(6-10)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State1997–9812-15(6-8)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State1998–9914-14(6-8)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State1999–0016-14(9-5)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State2000–0119-13(9-5)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State2001–0212-16(6-10)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State2002–038-22(3-13)--Rollie Massimino
Cleveland State2003–044-25(0-16)--Mike Garland
Cleveland State2004–059-17(6-10)--Mike Garland
Cleveland State2005–0610-18(5-11)--Mike Garland
Cleveland State2006–0710-21(3-13)--Gary Waters
Cleveland State2007–0821-13(12-6)NIT, First RoundGary Waters
Cleveland State2008–0926-11(12-6)NCAA, Second RoundGary Waters
Cleveland State2009–1016-17(10-8)--Gary Waters
Cleveland State2010–1127-9(13-5)NIT, Second RoundGary Waters
Cleveland State2011–1222-11(12-6)NIT, First RoundGary Waters
Cleveland State2012–1314-18(5-11)--Gary Waters
Cleveland State2013–1421–12(12–4)CIT, First RoundGary Waters
Cleveland State2014–1519–15(11–5)CIT, Second RoundGary Waters
Cleveland State2015–169–23(4–14)--Gary Waters
Cleveland State2016–179–22(5–13)--Gary Waters
Cleveland State2017–1812–23(6-12)--Dennis Felton
Cleveland State2018–1910–21(5–13)--Dennis Felton
Cleveland State2019–2011–21(7–11)--Dennis Gates
Cleveland State2020–2117–7(16-4)--Dennis Gates
It's interesting to see how poorly Rollie Massimino did there.

Top Bottom