Coyle’s order of operations

There have been some positives and fun over the last few years. More fun would be better. Pitino may not have the best percentages, the best recruiting, the best X's and O's and overall the trajectory of the program is not where anyone would want it to be. So why support him for the rest of the 2019/2020 season?

Because he is my coach and he coaches my team - Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Ya'll are bad fans - find a new team.
Relax. No one is rooting against the team. This is a message board for discussion about the team. Currently, there's not much to be positive about. Being a fan doesn't mean blindly supporting everything a coach does.

Good to see that you survived the tournament win last year cjbfbp. Must have been a tough. Seems like we have the same discussion every year. Just remember - your job is to sow seeds of doubt and to disparage the program. My job is to call you on it. No need to upset the natural order...

I'm interviewing Frank today at 4:00 central. I'll let you know what he says.

Relax. No one is rooting against the team. This is a message board for discussion about the team. Currently, there's not much to be positive about. Being a fan doesn't mean blindly supporting everything a coach does.
Yep, spot on.

Obviously, you have no idea what I’m talking about.

I don't find it obvious, but am willing to listen on this part of your post.

We have no shooters. Maybe, maybe once a season a knock down shooter has an off night. We have none. We have nobody with a scorers mentality. Nobody who can get to the line and make free throws to get themselves and the team going.

This was your quote. I replied to it. I fully understand confidence and it's effects on shooters. I've watched Gabe be a "shooter" since he was an 8th grader. Is he off currently? Sure, but doesn't change the fact that he is not a "shooter".

Appearantly your attention. ... but not any comprehension. I'm not defending Pitino. Im just calling you guys bad fans. Try to keep up.
You called me a hit and run guy. I'm not. I've been very consistant. You have been defending Pitino by the way (which is your right to do so). Season ticket holder in multiple sports for many, many years here. Hardly a bad fan.

Clem probably could have left. He didn't because this is a good job (and also perhaps because certain things would come out if he did). Tubby also had multiple offers to leave. He chose not to. This is a good job for the right person.
This is a fantastic job. Strong school, facilities, community and conference. We have had AD's that have been terrible at hiring truly gifted coaches until now.

Im not here supporting Pitino. I just saying you guys are bad fans. You guys were here last year saying the same things, will be here this year and if there is a new coach you will be here next year. Its what you do.

You called me a hit and run guy. I'm not. I've been very consistant. You have been defending Pitino by the way (which is your right to do so). Season ticket holder in multiple sports for many, many years here. Hardly a bad fan.
Im not defending his record or anything else he does. Only saying that you negative reusse type fans have a negative impact on the entire program. Time to give it up. The fanbase is important for recruiting, financial, and at gametime.

This is a fantastic job. Strong school, facilities, community and conference. We have had AD's that have been terrible at hiring truly gifted coaches until now.

Lets see Coyle's magic for basketball. I miss a rocking Williams Arena.

Im not defending his record or anything else he does. Only saying that you negative reusse type fans have a negative impact on the entire program. Time to give it up. The fanbase is important for recruiting, financial, and at gametime.
Who are these negative type fans you speak of that have such great powers to sow seeds of doubt. Hell, i am still optimistic about this year ! I do not think people that express great disappointment with mediocre results are bad fans. If they have a standard of expectations that is based on how they review analysis of winning programs and those are never even in the ball park, perhaps they are the best fans. Fleck is the best example close to here that demanded and instilled a culture change from day one. Even in losing the program became known for minimizing mistakes, giving all out effort and understanding the passing game. Wide recievers believed in him, Qb'S GET CONFIDENT with great wideouts, lineman become responsible. The accountability becomes the program. Built day one with character because it is the only right way. Perhaps his personality rubs some the wrong way. Big deal, the winning comes and you win them over. There is no reason in year 7 to be still average on defense and inefficient on offense. The frustration comes from 7 years and still not being known for one thing that we as a program hang our hat on, something we were built on no matter the roster, the turnover. Who is on the court represents that defense and discipline no matter what, win or lose. Good shooting comes and goes but the best programs stay competitive in the win loss column by living the principles every day. It becomes the foundation for how you play and who you recruit. Fans and observers of the team and the sport are not bad fans if they express disappointment. Now if they never praise any aspect of the program perhaps they are not the fans you like. Not a fan of personally calling out players but to each their own.

Appearantly your attention. ... but not any comprehension. I'm not defending Pitino. Im just calling you guys bad fans. Try to keep up.

I am on the Pitino hope side, but there may not be a more tired bit, then "I am a good fan, and others who don't agree with me are bad fans."

And usually this is more implied in a post, but CPT actually says it. What a martyr.

Built, question for you, as I know you're tuned into the coaching scene, more specifically in the Midwest.

A friend of mine who was in the coaching profession (coached at Northland and then professionally in Norway) insists Minnesota is a better basketball job than Michigan. Would you agree with that?

Practice facilities were also lacking, until recently. Now they're top notch.

Built, question for you, as I know you're tuned into the coaching scene, more specifically in the Midwest.

A friend of mine who was in the coaching profession (coached at Northland and then professionally in Norway) insists Minnesota is a better basketball job than Michigan. Would you agree with that?
Interesting question. We have better facilities, they have to compete with MSU, we do not. Seems as though they attract far better coaches. They sure attract a lot of great players but have also developed well. They have a campus environment. Your friend may have better insight into that answer based on who he talks with. I remember talking with the Bennett's about great jobs and of course it may not mean much because when presented with great choices they picked places like Stevens Point, Green Bay, Wisconsin and god forbid Washington State. WSU was picked over Arizona State, Clemson etc.. They liked jobs that there was very little success in a generation. Hell, UVA was picked over Indiana, Marquette, LSU, Texas. Perhaps your friend thinks of this job as that wonderful opportunity to build up and beat the big boys. That is how Bennett looked at UVA. He got to take on Duke, UNC,Cuse, Louisville. All storied programs who over the last 6 years he has a dozen more conference wins than anyone else and 4 ACC titles. They used to talk about this being that kind of job but it never works unless you get the right coach. Would really enjoy talking with you and your friend.

Interesting question. We have better facilities, they have to compete with MSU, we do not. Seems as though they attract far better coaches. They sure attract a lot of great players but have also developed well. They have a campus environment. Your friend may have better insight into that answer based on who he talks with. I remember talking with the Bennett's about great jobs and of course it may not mean much because when presented with great choices they picked places like Stevens Point, Green Bay, Wisconsin and god forbid Washington State. WSU was picked over Arizona State, Clemson etc.. They liked jobs that there was very little success in a generation. Hell, UVA was picked over Indiana, Marquette, LSU, Texas. Perhaps your friend thinks of this job as that wonderful opportunity to build up and beat the big boys. That is how Bennett looked at UVA. He got to take on Duke, UNC,Cuse, Louisville. All storied programs who over the last 6 years he has a dozen more conference wins than anyone else and 4 ACC titles. They used to talk about this being that kind of job but it never works unless you get the right coach. Would really enjoy talking with you and your friend.

Some coaches certainly value not competing with football too. When watch stadium polled coaches about which was the best and worse job in the conference, you saw a lot of quotes from coaches mentioning "being the only show in town". Others like a Billy Donovan and to an extent John Beilien didn't mind having large football programs. It is fun to see how different coaches value different aspects of a job. It's why I think fit is so important in these hires.

Thanks for the insight, Built. I know one of his good friends is a former Badgers assistant, and he also believes Minnesota is a better job than Michigan. There's now a lot of talent almost every year, no other major in-state school you have to compete against, if the Gophers head coach can tap into about half of that talent, that's a solid base to start with. And we've been hearing for years the new practice facilities will make a difference. Have no evidence of that yet, certainly not on the basketball side of things in terms of wins and losses.

Pitino isn’t leaving til Damian Johnson is ready to take over.:)

Patently false.

I am on the Pitino hope side, but there may not be a more tired bit, then "I am a good fan, and others who don't agree with me are bad fans."

And usually this is more implied in a post, but CPT actually says it. What a martyr.

Coming on here and complaining year after year, tearing down the coach, constantly predicting doom, silent during any good news, jumping on any sort of negative news - telling everyone we are cursed... The whole reusse approach of sitting back and taking potshots at everyone is being a bad fan. Might seem like that is how good Minnesota fans act but it just undermines the program.

Can a good fanbase help a team win home games, be financially healthy, recruit better players? - the answer is obviously yes.

Can a bad fanbase make it harder to win at home, lower financial health, and damage recruiting? - Absolutely

the great part of following a sport is that it is a "we" thing. Owners, players, coaches, fans all get to play be a part.

Ill say it again. You guys are bad fans. Its time for some of you guys to stop being the nagging housewives of big ten.

Im not here supporting Pitino. I just saying you guys are bad fans. You guys were here last year saying the same things, will be here this year and if there is a new coach you will be here next year. Its what you do.
You can think what you want. Pitino has not been unfairly criticized by me or the majority of people here. We all supported him for his first several years. Yes, it goes back to last year because the issues we see now were evident then. We are 6-7 years into his tenure and the results simply aren't good enough overall. A couple nice wins over Purdue and winning an NCAA game were fun. But they didn't change the overall trajectory of this program.

I'd love the Gophers to come out and shock OSU on Sunday and then go on the road and upset the other OSU and show us there's hope for this year's team to be far better than we've seen so far.

Either we will turn this season around into a solid one or we will next year or Coyle will be focused on bringing in a new coach. We have some good recruits coming in and an nba player starting at center. We are coming off a decent (but not awesome) season with a tournament win. The university/boosters have invested heavily into the a state of the art facility. U leadership seems to be more supportive of athletics these days. Football program can only help bring attention to the U.

We are a low to mid level P5 basketball program. The sky is not falling, or is it? I guess it is your choice.

Pro Tip: complaining will not help turn the program into a high P5

Either we will turn this season around into a solid one or we will next year or Coyle will be focused on bringing in a new coach. We have some good recruits coming in and an nba player starting at center. We are coming off a decent (but not awesome) season with a tournament win. The university/boosters have invested heavily into the a state of the art facility. U leadership seems to be more supportive of athletics these days. Football program can only help bring attention to the U.

We are a low to mid level P5 basketball program. The sky is not falling, or is it? I guess it is your choice.

So basically, the only thing you're arguing is that Pitino should get next year no matter how bad this season goes. And if we disagree with that one thing, we're "bad fans"?

We have some good recruits coming in and an nba player starting at center. We are coming off a decent (but not awesome) season with a tournament win. The university/boosters have invested heavily into the a state of the art facility. U leadership seems to be more supportive of athletics these days. Football program can only help bring attention to the U.
These are true, and great things.

I can only help but wonder, then, if a guy with midwest roots like Craig Smith (most of his current staff too, actually) would love to come in here and turn things around from where this season is clearly headed.

These are true, and great things.

I can only help but wonder, then, if a guy with midwest roots like Craig Smith (most of his current staff too, actually) would love to come in here and turn things around from where this season is clearly headed.
No guarantees at all.
What you suggest has not been done in decades.

Pro Tip: There is nothing we do on here that will turn into a high P5 or prevent us from being a high P5.

Pro Tip: Fans, on a message board, are going to complain when they lose. They are going to want a new coach when they lose a lot. They are going to love the coach when they win. This is not unique to Gopherhole. It's how it is being a fan for every coach in the world.

Question: Why are people bad fans for wanting a new coach now yet you're a great fan for openly discussing for the 2021 season? Why do your positive vibes only extend for one more season?

Coming on here and complaining year after year, tearing down the coach, constantly predicting doom, silent during any good news, jumping on any sort of negative news - telling everyone we are cursed... The whole reusse approach of sitting back and taking potshots at everyone is being a bad fan. Might seem like that is how good Minnesota fans act but it just undermines the program.

Can a good fanbase help a team win home games, be financially healthy, recruit better players? - the answer is obviously yes.

Can a bad fanbase make it harder to win at home, lower financial health, and damage recruiting? - Absolutely

the great part of following a sport is that it is a "we" thing. Owners, players, coaches, fans all get to play be a part.

Ill say it again. You guys are bad fans. Its time for some of you guys to stop being the nagging housewives of big ten.

You are really thin skinned and wrong.

Top Bottom