Coyle’s order of operations

I'd still go Musselman, Craig Smith, Shaka, Medved, Mike Rhoades, Miles in that order.

I'd still go Musselman, Craig Smith, Shaka, Medved, Mike Rhoades, Miles in that order.

Shaka was a Luke Yaklich hiring from being canned this year. Wouldn't touch him but would give serious consideration to Yaklich. Niko is getting close in my book. Smith won in one of the toughest D1 jobs in the country and he's my current favorite. Either way my number 1 hope is this team figures it out.

They wouldn't haven't have gotten any of them this year guaranteed except for maybe Madsen and Mashburn is better. You seen Nebraska this year? Musselman would've taken Arkansas over the U as well.
Have heard the exact opposite on Muss. He wanted this job even when it wasn't open. Not trying to get into a pissing match, just disagree. Doesn't matter for the current state of things as he's obviously settling in nicely at Arkansas,

Have heard the exact opposite on Muss. He wanted this job even when it wasn't open. Not trying to get into a pissing match, just disagree. Doesn't matter for the current state of things as he's obviously settling in nicely at Arkansas,

I know Sharma posted something in April about it so I get that it was floating around. I just go off what I heard. Agreed, definitely not worth a pissing match nor would I get into one over it.

I have heard the exact opposite on Musselman. I doubt he'd leave Arkansas after one year, so it doesn't matter now. I don't know how someone can say "there is a lot of young talent on this roster" with a straight face after a 20 point loss to Iowa. If that is true, then Pitino is not just a bad coach, but literally the worst high major coach of all time.

I saw a night where they went 6 for 25 from 3. That isn't necessarily a lack of talent. It's a bad shooting night.

This should have been done last year. That is going to piss me off all year.

So for the record you would have fired him after last year? Right after the Michigan State loss in the tournament? Before the NCAA tournament? Some time in the middle of the year?

So for the record you would have fired him after last year? Right after the Michigan State loss in the tournament? Before the NCAA tournament? Some time in the middle of the year?
He was 9-11 in the B1G. He had two open scholarships because he failed to land even middling prospects in the Fall. He didn't so much as get a visit from Zeke or Matthew. It was not difficult to predict Amir Coffey leaving early. The timing, of course, would have been after the tournament but a decision could have been made before then. Tubby wasn't fired for losing to Florida in the second round of the tournament he was fired for losing too many conference games to mediocre opponents, lack of recruiting momentum/success, declining interest in his program, and a belief that things wouldn't improve for him in year 7. If you want to draw a parallel, you could point to Tubby's terrible loss at Iowa in his final year and Richard's loss at Nebraska last year as the point where you could/should say "enough is enough". It wouldn't have been easy to terminate Pitino at (or near) the high point of his tenure, but it would been the right move. You can give Coyle credit for "extending" Pitino in a manner that makes it very easy to dismiss him after this year.

Craig Smith is the lock candidate, Miles would be an utter disaster if you ask me, that's aiming WAY too low. But yes it's time and going to be a long year.

The mindset, the personality of players is important. We have too many passive guys.
Roster construction is and has been the ongoing issue...in many deficient ways.

We have no shooters. Maybe, maybe once a season a knock down shooter has an off night. We have none. We have nobody with a scorers mentality. Nobody who can get to the line and make free throws to get themselves and the team going.

Our transition defense was laughable. Totally unacceptable.

How our basketball staff could not see this coming is very disheartening. The freshman needed to play starting game one and somebody needed to be emerging by now. Instead we are going to be so pitiful they’ll eventually play now because circumstances dictate they might as well. Not the same situation at all and sets them up to fail.

Oturu and who else can score? Gabe needs 3 better players in the lineup to be comfortable. Michael Hurt looks like one of our more confident people. Is he? Or are most all the other guys just that scared? Omersa looks comfortable. Who else plays with any confidence, inspiration, leadership, moxie, relentlessness, swagger, hustle, grit etc? I see nothing from these guys. So little hope individually.

You can’t have that many followers on one team. You get to recruit personalities in addition to skills.

The mindset, the personality of players is important. We have too many passive guys.
Roster construction is and has been the ongoing issue...in many deficient ways.

We have no shooters. Maybe, maybe once a season a knock down shooter has an off night. We have none. We have nobody with a scorers mentality. Nobody who can get to the line and make free throws to get themselves and the team going.

Our transition defense was laughable. Totally unacceptable.

How our basketball staff could not see this coming is very disheartening. The freshman needed to play starting game one and somebody needed to be emerging by now. Instead we are going to be so pitiful they’ll eventually play now because circumstances dictate they might as well. Not the same situation at all and sets them up to fail.

Oturu and who else can score? Gabe needs 3 better players in the lineup to be comfortable. Michael Hurt looks like one of our more confident people. Is he? Or are most all the other guys just that scared? Omersa looks comfortable. Who else plays with any confidence, inspiration, leadership, moxie, relentlessness, swagger, hustle, grit etc? I see nothing from these guys. So little hope individually.

You can’t have that many followers on one team. You get to recruit personalities in addition to skills.

Gabe Kalchaeur is the actual definition of a shooter and was legitimately one of the main reasons he was recruited to play here. Also how do you know what our basketball staff saw or knew? Maybe they did know. Maybe they are surprised. I like the personalities we’ve been recruiting now. No knuckleheads, good students, and confidence will come with more growth. Can be passive and a killer on the court.

We have our coach who will try and win his job this year. What makes anyone think Miles will win here.

Only a couple of Miles family members want him here. Hard pass
I'm a Minnesotan and love it and won't ever leave. Others think the same about southern states. He'd leave Reno for a payday, but they wanted PAC 12 or SEC jobs over the U. MN isn't for everyone.

It appears MN is for no one. Where coaching careers go to die.

Miles versus Pitino: in Richard's first year, they rolled into Lincoln with a head of steam, and Nebraska threw a game plan at the Gophers that stymied us and we didn't adjust to at any point in the game. Ever since, it seemed every time we played them there under Miles, they came up with some game planning or scheming that put the Gophs in a headlock. I don't ever remember the Gophers staff outwitting Miles staff like that in any of their meetings. In fairness, much of that is Miles simply hiring markedly better assistants than Pitino has.

pitino will be back next year...unless they can come up with another Tubby Smith,Dan Monson or a High quality cheater

Well Built, who is on Coyle's list this morning? Always a list, right? Time to pull it out of his pocket.

I really wanted RP to succeed here. Barring a miracle, success for him at MN is not going to happen.

Other than Craig Smith, I would put Ben Johnson and Mark Madsen (Utah Valley) on the list.

The primary problem with Pitino is ... he's not a very good coach.

It's not necessarily recruiting, although it could be better for sure. It's not discipline, it's not a lot of other things.

He doesn't coach well. His teams don't improve as the season progresses. His teams, for the most part, don't achieve what the talent level suggest they should. Look no further than last year.

It was said of Bear Bryant...he could take his'n and beat your'n. And he could take your'n and beat his'n.

Pitino is sort of the opposite.

It wasn't a bad hire, but it's well past time to move on.

He doesn't sub.

No matter how they are playing. Sometimes starters who start poorly need to rest to hit their stride. We have players who couldn't do any worse sitting on the bench, Play Them!

pitino will be back next year...unless they can come up with another Tubby Smith,Dan Monson or a High quality cheater

I don't see if things dont improve.

I don't know how someone can say "there is a lot of young talent on this roster" with a straight face after a 20 point loss to Iowa. If that is true, then Pitino is not just a bad coach, but literally the worst high major coach of all time.
I agree. There is Oturo and mid major-ish talent on this team. Gabe and Carr are fringe starters/bench guys at a winning power 5 team. The rest have a hard time.

Plenty of others I'd rather have than those two. This roster isn't a huge dumpster fire either. Plenty of young talent.

This a hope. There has been no actually proof there is plenty of young talent on this roster.

If you actually believe there is all this young talent on the roster then whats the reason for the horrible performance? Must be coaching?

This a hope. There has been no actually proof there is plenty of young talent on this roster.

If you actually believe there is all this young talent on the roster then whats the reason for the horrible performance? Must be coaching?

Or that young talent needs to be developed. It's never all on one thing. Sure the coaching could be better. I do see improve as a team defensively over the last couple of years. I do see our team have a little more coherent of a offensive scheme against a zone although execution is still lacking. Not all freshman come in an impact right away, all situations are different. Omersa looks significantly different now than he did a year ago at this time. I just look at see a lot of talent guards and posts on this roster that could be successful if they limit turnovers and shoot the ball better. Maybe they are all of a sudden all really poor shooters now and in that case I'll admit my fault.

Yeah, how could a school ever fire a coach after winning an NCAA Tournament game?

Yeah, how could a school ever fire a coach after winning an NCAA Tournament game?

You are right dpo! As you reminded us last year and the year Tubby was fired.....tied for the best years in recent Gophers basketball history. How do you fire a coach at that point? :)

He was 9-11 in the B1G. He had two open scholarships because he failed to land even middling prospects in the Fall. He didn't so much as get a visit from Zeke or Matthew. It was not difficult to predict Amir Coffey leaving early. The timing, of course, would have been after the tournament but a decision could have been made before then. Tubby wasn't fired for losing to Florida in the second round of the tournament he was fired for losing too many conference games to mediocre opponents, lack of recruiting momentum/success, declining interest in his program, and a belief that things wouldn't improve for him in year 7. If you want to draw a parallel, you could point to Tubby's terrible loss at Iowa in his final year and Richard's loss at Nebraska last year as the point where you could/should say "enough is enough". It wouldn't have been easy to terminate Pitino at (or near) the high point of his tenure, but it would been the right move. You can give Coyle credit for "extending" Pitino in a manner that makes it very easy to dismiss him after this year.

A very fair response EG#9. I can get behind everything you say in this post except for the comment about Zeke and Matthew. The college choice of any one 19 year old should not play into the coaching decisions of a big ten program. The parochial nature of our fan base is too over the top.

The best argument for making a change to any program, in my opinion, is when apathy sets in. I think the football program's success stole some of the early season interest/speculation about the team. But as the losses pile up this year, we could see a bad turn in the conference season attendance, etc. that would mandate a change.

Top Bottom