Coyle’s order of operations

Coming on here and complaining year after year, tearing down the coach, constantly predicting doom, silent during any good news, jumping on any sort of negative news - telling everyone we are cursed... The whole reusse approach of sitting back and taking potshots at everyone is being a bad fan. Might seem like that is how good Minnesota fans act but it just undermines the program.

Can a good fanbase help a team win home games, be financially healthy, recruit better players? - the answer is obviously yes.

Can a bad fanbase make it harder to win at home, lower financial health, and damage recruiting? - Absolutely

the great part of following a sport is that it is a "we" thing. Owners, players, coaches, fans all get to play be a part.

Ill say it again. You guys are bad fans. Its time for some of you guys to stop being the nagging housewives of big ten.

I am not sure our fanbase is big enough for you to be running off everyone that isn't on your level though.

Miles is a better X and O guy. The question is can he keep the some of the Minnesota kids home?

I love Tim Miles, but he's not a hire who would excite the average fan or local player. Right or wrong, I think most people view him simply as the coach who failed at Nebraska. A proven winner/up-and-comer would energize the fanbase more and be more likely to land some of the top local players.

Appearantly your attention. ... but not any comprehension. I'm not defending Pitino. Im just calling you guys bad fans. Try to keep up.
I'm calling you a bad fan because you support horsesh*t basketball.

Why would we want to hire a guy that wasn't even good enough at Nebraska?

I don't know a whole lot about Craig Smith. Why is he the hot name on here? I noticed he hasn't made it out of the first round of any tournament -- CBI/NIT/NCAA. What is the appeal here?

You'd be amazed at what some winning can do. The football fanbase, for example.
Last year wasn't too bad... Your thinking - if you want good fans you need to have our best year in 115 years? Is that what it takes?

I'm calling you a bad fan because you support horsesh*t basketball.

I actually like the guys and am hoping they can turn it around. How fun would that be? If they make a change I will be excited for the next adventure on the coaching side. Either way there are a lot of positives here at the U. Last year was fun too. Solid recruits should come here. Lots of bad fans like me that want to support you and the team. Very few good "John Galt" fans here but you will constantly hear them - just ignore them.

You said it - I guess I gotta own it.

Last year wasn't too bad... Your thinking - if you want good fans you need to have our best year in 115 years? Is that what it takes?
It takes the belief that it's not a flash in the pan or that the following year won't just be some fallback year.

They believe it with Fleck.

Remind us when we've been winning here?
During this years football season. Plenty of doomsdayers with any game against a solid team. This comes Fromm fan sof other schols who say this too. We do I think with all sports. Being right doesn't always make it better. Believing the twins have a curse against the Yankees isn't helpful

Why would we want to hire a guy that wasn't even good enough at Nebraska?

I don't know a whole lot about Craig Smith. Why is he the hot name on here? I noticed he hasn't made it out of the first round of any tournament -- CBI/NIT/NCAA. What is the appeal here?

Craig Smith was a big part of Tim Miles success. Agreed no guarantee even though I'm a huge fan

I'm not sure we get enough solid recruits for us to NOT run off everyone on your level.

Wow and I am even a Pitnio backer on here. You have kind of turned into a little megalomaniac who's proclaimed himself the one and only true fan. At least you don't come off sounding silly doing so.

Miles is a better X and O guy. The question is can he keep the some of the Minnesota kids home?

I like Tim a lot, but he's no better X's and O's wise than Richard. Could Tim land Jamal Mashburn Jr? Probably not

Last edited:

I like Tim a lot, but he's no better X's and O's wise than Richard. Could Tim rbe fruit Jamal Mashburn Jr? Probably not
I think Miles is better than Pitino on X's and O's but I'm not sure how big the gap is. Could Miles land Mashburn specifically? No, probably not. Neither could Richard without their fathers' connection. Someone on his level? Probably. Miles to me is a bigger gamble than Smith, so I agree I would rather have him. Also, Miles being an assistant isn't that far-fetched if he doesn't have HC gig for next year.

Craig Smith was a big part of Tim Miles success. Agreed no guarantee even though I'm a huge fan
When he has been the head coach, for example the previous three years:

2016-17 South Dakota 22-12 NIT
2017-18 South Dakota. 26-9 CBI
2018-19 Utah State 28-7 NCAA

10-1 so far this year. Must be doing something right.

The football season wasn't even close to our best in 115 years, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

During this years football season. Plenty of doomsdayers with any game against a solid team. This comes Fromm fan sof other schols who say this too. We do I think with all sports. Being right doesn't always make it better. Believing the twins have a curse against the Yankees isn't helpful
They do have a curse against the Yankees until they win against them. That's a fact.

They do have a curse against the Yankees until they win against them. That's a fact.
Only if you believe that “curses” exist. There is no scientific proof that they do. Same with this idea that our luck in MN sports is worse than everyone else’s. Believe it to be fact then sure it can be, but it is one of our worst qualities as a fan base. I try to believe and remember our positives. It truly does allow for things to be more fun and entertaining which is what sports are intended for.

When he has been the head coach, for example the previous three years:

2016-17 South Dakota 22-12 NIT
2017-18 South Dakota. 26-9 CBI
2018-19 Utah State 28-7 NCAA

10-1 so far this year. Must be doing something right.

Agreed which is why I’m a fan. Also look at what happened to Miles once Smith left. I’m a huge Smith guy and was when he was at USD. Just saying it’s not a guarantee and his way would always appease the base. He still doesn’t get a Garcia or maybe even a Coffey. He will develop the hell out of lesser known and they will defend.

Agreed which is why I’m a fan. Also look at what happened to Miles once Smith left. I’m a huge Smith guy and was when he was at USD. Just saying it’s not a guarantee and his way would always appease the base. He still doesn’t get a Garcia or maybe even a Coffey. He will develop the hell out of lesser known and they will defend.
I still say some kids want out of the state no matter what, and that’s just fine. Top players who’ve grown up in NC their entire lives don’t all automatically become Tarheels or Blue Devils. If he wins, I don’t care where the players came from.

Why not? Keeping top MN talent at home is critical to success here, imo. Not that players from other locales cant win. Need a coach that can, consistently, keep MN talent at home - and be successful as a team. That breeds more MN kids wanting to stay home.

Only if you believe that “curses” exist. There is no scientific proof that they do. Same with this idea that our luck in MN sports is worse than everyone else’s. Believe it to be fact then sure it can be, but it is one of our worst qualities as a fan base. I try to believe and remember our positives. It truly does allow for things to be more fun and entertaining which is what sports are intended for.
The talk of curses is indeed stupid. The reality is that local teams have had a mostly horrible run of selecting coaches, whether through incompetence or being unwilling to spend. The Vikings and Gopher football made hires that most non-morons agreed going in were quality coaches, and it's not rocket science that they're the two best programs right now. The jury's still out on the Twins and Wolves, but they might've made good hires as well.

Why not? Keeping top MN talent at home is critical to success here, imo. Not that players from other locales cant win. Need a coach that can, consistently, keep MN talent at home - and be successful as a team. That breeds more MN kids wanting to stay home.
Disagree here. Winning brings the best players regardless of location. Locale now a days doesn’t mean much and kids will go anywhere. Suburban MN kids most likely will want to leave. Many don’t value or want the larger city and that’s fine. There are tons of kids that does matter too. My main point with Smith was saying he won’t win the “recruiting” rankings because he won’t care. He will find kids who fit the culture and he will coach them hard. It’s a compliment

The talk of curses is indeed stupid. The reality is that local teams have had a mostly horrible run of selecting coaches, whether through incompetence or being unwilling to spend. The Vikings and Gopher football made hires that most non-morons agreed going in were quality coaches, and it's not rocket science that they're the two best programs right now. The jury's still out on the Twins and Wolves, but they might've made good hires as well.
I’d go a step further and say we’ve had the poorest ownership and GM/ADs. They hired the poor coaches that we’ve had. Agree whole heartedly we’ve had horrible leadership in our pro and college teams. I find it to not be a coincidence that Mark Coyles hires have been solid. Same with Rick Spielman

Top Bottom