Coyle’s order of operations

Gabe Kalchaeur is the actual definition of a shooter and was legitimately one of the main reasons he was recruited to play here. Also how do you know what our basketball staff saw or knew? Maybe they did know. Maybe they are surprised. I like the personalities we’ve been recruiting now. No knuckleheads, good students, and confidence will come with more growth. Can be passive and a killer on the court.
Obviously, you have no idea what I’m talking about.

I don't think anyone really turned on Pitino until year 5. The reality is that a move probably should have been made last year, but he did enough to survive.

I would grade his seasons:

Year 1 13-14: A. One basket away from the NCAA's. Won the NIT.

Year 2: 14-15 C. A step back, but understandable.

Year 3: 15-16 F. This was always going to be tough, but they should have won more than 9 games with Mason, McBreyer, Murphy and King on the team. If we had an AD in place, he might not have survived this and the off-court issues. I started to question if we should move on, only because I didn't see any way he would do enough in Year 4 to survive with a new AD. Alas...

Year 4: 16-17 A. By far his best team. Huge turn around. B1G coach of the year.

Year 5: 17-18 D. Yes the suspension and injuries hurt, but to some degree it was a calculated risk that Pitino took and it blew up on him. Also, again, even with the guys out they shouldn't have won as few games as they did in conference. But they had no depth.

Year 6: 18-19 B. Making the NCAA's and winning a game is great. But the reality is that if they lose at home to Purdue or to Penn State in the 1st round of the BTT, they likely miss the tournament and there's a coaching change.
The reality of it? The reality was we didnt lose to penn state or purdue and we made the tournament!

I'd still go Musselman, Craig Smith, Shaka, Medved, Mike Rhoades, Miles in that order.

This is not an attack at you personally. I would also would like any of these coaches. However, I think it is far from a “guarantee” we could get any of these guys. I know the U is a good school, Minneapolis is great, etc.. However, the football team had more recent “success” than the basketball team upon hiring Fleck, and I would say people were at the least, a little surprised upon the hire. Further, Fleck has done a great job, but even as recent as last year, he was still considered “unproven” at this level. I think we are being a little optimistic thinking we will land an established, sought after coach. Lastly, I’m one of the remaining few that is willing to hang on until next season. I’m so sick of the coaching carousel. I wish someone had a count on the number of times Coyle has said “stability” in his pressers since taking the job. At the end of the day, I want to see a winner just like the rest of y’all. Pitino experiences a lot of growing pains early, and still has some questionable roster management. I get all of that. On the other hand, I honestly think the talent is the best it’s been in a while, and the assistants seem better than the last few years, and we have the potential to play an excited brand of basketball (which Pitino promised, but has been lacking). We appear to have the ability to shoot well and defend well. I realize we don’t always, but it appears we have the players to do that. Go Gophs!

This is not an attack at you personally. I would also would like any of these coaches. However, I think it is far from a “guarantee” we could get any of these guys. I know the U is a good school, Minneapolis is great, etc.. However, the football team had more recent “success” than the basketball team upon hiring Fleck, and I would say people were at the least, a little surprised upon the hire. Further, Fleck has done a great job, but even as recent as last year, he was still considered “unproven” at this level. I think we are being a little optimistic thinking we will land an established, sought after coach. Lastly, I’m one of the remaining few that is willing to hang on until next season. I’m so sick of the coaching carousel. I wish someone had a count on the number of times Coyle has said “stability” in his pressers since taking the job. At the end of the day, I want to see a winner just like the rest of y’all. Pitino experiences a lot of growing pains early, and still has some questionable roster management. I get all of that. On the other hand, I honestly think the talent is the best it’s been in a while, and the assistants seem better than the last few years, and we have the potential to play an excited brand of basketball (which Pitino promised, but has been lacking). We appear to have the ability to shoot well and defend well. I realize we don’t always, but it appears we have the players to do that. Go Gophs!
I agree with a lot of this, but not the talent being the best it's been. I don't see that at all. Nor do I see it getting significantly better next year.

I know not every coach on that list is realistic (Shaka and Musselman probably aren't) but the other 4 very much are.

The reality of it? The reality was we didnt lose to penn state or purdue and we made the tournament!
We did. And it bought him another season. But should a 9-11 conference record and an NCAA tournament win buy 2, 3 or 4 more seasons no matter how ugly? No.

Oh yeah, this is definitely true. I mean, look at the football board this year. It's like a morgue over there. No activity at all.
Its funny, Fleck totally gets it. Fleck ended the season by saying: "Lets not go back, lets not start thinking, 'thats typical', that has to be out of our system, there's going to be cynics there's going to be doubters, there's going to be critics but the true fans will get that completely out of there mind because we are NOT going back to that... ...let it go!" I think he was talking to all you patrick reusse fans on this thread and in the rest of the state.

My message to you is the same - "let it go" and lets have a fun basketball year. Coyle will figure out the coach situation at the end of the year and we will either have some things to build on or be on a new adventure with a new coach. Lots of good discussions at the end of the season on coaching. Until then, we have a good program, good AD, good coach, things are headed in a good direction and players should come here. That or GTFO. Seriously - if you are not a fan then who needs you?

If you look at Gopher basketball over the past 50 years, you can legitimately say this:
"Gopher basketball is where coaches go to see their careers die."
Every coach has either resigned due to scandal or been fired and moved on to a lower level basketball team. Not one has left because they were sought by a higher level program.
That's just a fact.
The Gophers need a coach who can establish a solid culture and not cheat to get it. So far, in 50 years, we haven't had that coach.

This is a Big 10 job, in a large city, with upgraded fantastic facilities. They can get someone much better than what is currently there. This basketball team is brutal in year 7. BRUTAL

I'm a fan of the program, not the coach. Those of you that conflate the two are the problem. I was a fan long before Pitino was the coach and I'll be a fan long after he's fired in the near future.

And you're calling me a Reusse fan? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, in a long, long line of stupid things said on this site that has to be among the fucking stupidest.
Meh, you’re underestimating how much stupid is out there. Like one guy on the football forum arguing Morgan’s TD pass to CAB in the Fresno State game was a horrible throw. THAT comment was among the stupidest.

This is a Big 10 job, in a large city, with upgraded fantastic facilities. They can get someone much better than what is currently there.
I dare say they can get someone much worse too. End of the season might be time to try, might not.

I'm a fan of the program, not the coach. Those of you that conflate the two are the problem. I was a fan long before Pitino was the coach and I'll be a fan long after he's fired in the near future.

And you're calling me a Reusse fan? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, in a long, long line of stupid things said on this site that has to be among the fucking stupidest.
Feel free to include yourself in the Fleck definition of a cynic/doubter/doubter Reusse type fan or a true fan as you see fit.

Really, Jesus Tapdancing Christ? You have to use that to get your point across. C'mon man, don't be an A-hole.

I dare say they can get someone much worse too. End of the season might be time to try, might not.

someone much worse than 40-71 in the big 10......and only going to get worse this year?

You'd almost have to try hard to get someone worse. It would be hard to throw a dart and get someone worse.

Dan "flipping" Monson had a better big 10 winning percent.

Come on people!

Last edited:

someone much worse than 40-71 in the big 10......and only going to get worse this year?

You'd almost have to try hard to get someone worse. It would be hard to throw a dart and get someone worse.
Really, thats what your going with? Anyone? All the former assistant high school coaches throwing out comments on how we should try the box and one defense? Bringing Monson back? My uncle frank? Your saying... we bring anyone in that has a pulse and watched the espn knight school series they will be able to kick butt over Pitino?

and Im not even really trying to defend his record

Really, thats what your going with? Anyone? All the former assistant high school coaches throwing out comments on how we should try the box and one defense? Bringing Monson back? My uncle frank? Your saying... we bring anyone in that has a pulse and watched the espn knight school series they will be able to kick butt over Pitino?

and Im not even really trying to defend his record

Oh ya, I forgot, they might hire your uncle Frank.

Seriously dude?

How about this........Coyle takes his top 15 candidates, throws a dart, and that person is worse than 40-71. I say slim odds. I tried to dumb it down for you as best I could. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm going to out on a limb and predict Uncle Frank is not in the top 15.

Even if the next guy was worse, would anyone even notice? The barn is a morgue in year 7.

Last edited:

Seriously dude?

How about this........Coyle takes his top 15 candidates, throws a dart, and that person is worse than 40-71. I say slim odds. I tried to dumb it down for you as best I could. Let me know if you have any questions.

Even if the next guy was worse, would anyone even notice. The barn is a morgue in year 7.
There have been some positives and fun over the last few years. More fun would be better. Pitino may not have the best percentages, the best recruiting, the best X's and O's and overall the trajectory of the program is not where anyone would want it to be. So why support him for the rest of the 2019/2020 season?

Because he is my coach and he coaches my team - Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Ya'll are bad fans - find a new team.

We did. And it bought him another season. But should a 9-11 conference record and an NCAA tournament win buy 2, 3 or 4 more seasons no matter how ugly? No.

Not just "NO." HELL NO!

So why support him for the rest of the 2019/2020 season?

Well, aren't you special. Get over yourself.

There have been some positives and fun over the last few years. More fun would be better. Pitino may not have the best percentages, the best recruiting, the best X's and O's and overall the trajectory of the program is not where anyone would want it to be. So why support him for the rest of the 2019/2020 season?

Wait a minute. I think uncle Frank could do poor winning percent, not the best recruiting, and not very good X's and O's

You've got me rethinking what Frank could bring.

Geezez, could this guy have a more ringing endorsement of our coach. LULZ

How about this........Coyle takes his top 15 candidates, throws a dart, and that person is worse than 40-71. I say slim odds. I tried to dumb it down for you as best I could. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm going to out on a limb and predict Uncle Frank is not in the top 15.

Well said (on both topics)!

I think it’s time to part ways because shortcomings like roster mgmt, offensive flow, defensive discipline and fundamentals (for the love of god can we get a coach who runs some semblance of an inbounds play??) have remained persistent throughout his era. I thought Pitino would learn and evolve, but it’s year 8 and it seems like these are just his coaching limitations. He’s a good guy and we could do much worse, but he gets paid a lot of $$ to win.
Also, I would think Fleck and our football season would remind folks that Minnesota isn’t doomed to mediocrity in perpetuity. There really is no reason with the facilities, in-state talent, and admin support that we can’t have a successful b-ball program. As long as Coyle has someone he likes - he’s earned my trust on this - we really aren’t taking a huge gamble. As he said earlier in the year, he didn’t become our AD to be average.

Seriously dude?

Even if the next guy was worse, would anyone even notice? The barn is a morgue in year 7.

Might need more than one dart. I’d be willing to bet a few people in his top 15 aren’t interested.

I’d comment on the Uncle Frank idea, but I’m not a good enough fan to catch that reference

I’m sure plenty of people on here would notice if the next guy was worse, and would promptly ask for him to be fired too.

Well, aren't you special. Get over yourself.
Good to see that you survived the tournament win last year cjbfbp. Must have been a tough. Seems like we have the same discussion every year. Just remember - your job is to sow seeds of doubt and to disparage the program. My job is to call you on it. No need to upset the natural order...

Good to see that you survived the tournament win last year cjbfbp. Must have been a tough. Seems like we have the same discussion every year. Just remember - your job is to sow seeds of doubt and to disparage the program. My job is to call you on it. No need to upset the natural order...
Still behind this years team. Curious though, how can it be that this board could sow seeds of doubt ? Seems like performance of Pitino's team does that.

If you look at Gopher basketball over the past 50 years, you can legitimately say this:
"Gopher basketball is where coaches go to see their careers die."
Every coach has either resigned due to scandal or been fired and moved on to a lower level basketball team. Not one has left because they were sought by a higher level program.
That's just a fact.
The Gophers need a coach who can establish a solid culture and not cheat to get it. So far, in 50 years, we haven't had that coach.
Clem probably could have left. He didn't because this is a good job (and also perhaps because certain things would come out if he did). Tubby also had multiple offers to leave. He chose not to. This is a good job for the right person.

Top Bottom