Coyle’s order of operations

Better sooner than later. How does Lil' Ricky survive the entire year with 4 or 5 B10 wins?

Better sooner than later. How does Lil' Ricky survive the entire year with 4 or 5 B10 wins?

Why should he get off so easily? He should have to suffer through the season like the rest of us.

But, but, but we’ve been in the tournament 2 of the last 3 years. We just had a top 25 recruiting class, even though none of them are good enough to play on a bad team.

The Pitino supporters should be stuck in purgatory watching this team for 1000 years until they finally admit the error of their way.

There were two clear candidates for this job last year in Musselman and Hoiberg. Both had track records and name recognition that would be valuable in the Twin Cities marketplace. Now? I don't see a clear candidate out there and whoever it is will take over an absolute dumpster fire of a roster.

Coyle has made big hires that have excited the fanbases of football, hockey, and women's basketball, so I do have some faith in his ability to land someone.

I told Tim Miles that I was looking forward to seeing him next year and he immediately put his hands down in a "Woah" motion.

I talked with his sister at the game in Sioux Falls and Tim definitely wants to get back to coaching sooner rather than later though.

The U might be able to time the Pitino dismissal the same time as when Ryan Saunders will be at the end of his tenure with the T Wolves. Saunders would be a candidate in my book. Hopefully Saunders will help turn the T Wolves around and they make the playoffs this year, but if they tank, there's a possibility.

I told Tim Miles that I was looking forward to seeing him next year and he immediately put his hands down in a "Woah" motion.

I talked with his sister at the game in Sioux Falls and Tim definitely wants to get back to coaching sooner rather than later though.
We have our coach who will try and win his job this year. What makes anyone think Miles will win here.

There were two clear candidates for this job last year in Musselman and Hoiberg. Both had track records and name recognition that would be valuable in the Twin Cities marketplace. Now? I don't see a clear candidate out there and whoever it is will take over an absolute dumpster fire of a roster.

Coyle has made big hires that have excited the fanbases of football, hockey, and women's basketball, so I do have some faith in his ability to land someone.
I agree about last year. I was really 50-50 on replacing Pitino last year, mostly because I like him as a person. That said, 7 years is enough to prove if you have it or not.
I have a hard time believing Musselman or Hoiberg would have had such a weak class coming in nor missed on all the top Minnesota kids. It's disappointing.

I really like Pitino personally and have been (maybe overly) optimistic with time he'd figure it out. I still think he can and I'm cheering for that to happen. I want the Gophers to be good! But this is disheartening. And I don't see how they'll get to be top-half competitively in the next two years without a better plan in place.

I agree about last year. I was really 50-50 on replacing Pitino last year, mostly because I like him as a person. That said, 7 years is enough to prove if you have it or not.
I have a hard time believing Musselman or Hoiberg would have had such a weak class coming in nor missed on all the top Minnesota kids. It's disappointing.

They wouldn't haven't have gotten any of them this year guaranteed except for maybe Madsen and Mashburn is better. You seen Nebraska this year? Musselman would've taken Arkansas over the U as well.

Plenty of others I'd rather have than those two. This roster isn't a huge dumpster fire either. Plenty of young talent.

If Musselman was as interested as rumored, I'd still make a run at him. I know coaches don't usually leave a job one year in, but it's worth a shot.

I really like Pitino personally and have been (maybe overly) optimistic with time he'd figure it out. I still think he can and I'm cheering for that to happen. I want the Gophers to be good! But this is disheartening. And I don't see how they'll get to be top-half competitively in the next two years without a better plan in place.
As fans we all at some point mix what we want to be with what is. Curious, what is it you like about him so much ?

Not quite sure what to think of Miles. Love him as a guy, but that's also true of Pitino. He did exactly what you'd want at Colorado State, but Nebraska really fell off after year 2. Did he learn from that?

The U might be able to time the Pitino dismissal the same time as when Ryan Saunders will be at the end of his tenure with the T Wolves. Saunders would be a candidate in my book. Hopefully Saunders will help turn the T Wolves around and they make the playoffs this year, but if they tank, there's a possibility.
I don't see any way Saunders gets fired this year, and is there any indication he even wants to coach in college?

Not quite sure what to think of Miles. Love him as a guy, but that's also true of Pitino. He did exactly what you'd want at Colorado State, but Nebraska really fell off after year 2. Did he learn from that?

Said on a podcast that his biggest mistake was going against his morals.. he let a kid back on the team that had quit. Lost his culture. That being said I'd rather have his protege Craig Smith

Minneapolis is so awful as opposed to Reno, NV or Backwater, AR? OK then.

I'm a Minnesotan and love it and won't ever leave. Others think the same about southern states. He'd leave Reno for a payday, but they wanted PAC 12 or SEC jobs over the U. MN isn't for everyone.

Don’t think the roster is a dumpster fire at all, There’s good young coachable talent. The issue is there’s no upperclassmen to really lean on and unless you got a roster of NBA guys...you aren’t winning a ton with underclassmen leading your team. That’s one of the biggest reasons (among others) I’d like to move on from Pitino because I’m not convinced he can maximize the potential of this young core group.

There’s always coaches out there. Craig Smith should be at the top of Coyle’s list, Wes Miller’s a young well thought of coach, Maybe Ryan Saunders becomes available as others have suggested, Bickerstaff may get tired of life as an assistant/interim in the NBA.

I don’t see this as a tear down rebuild because while I think Pitino’s taking this thing as far as he can, there’s a good foundation to work with there. This group just needs better coaching.

I don't see any way Saunders gets fired this year, and is there any indication he even wants to coach in college?
I don't know the answer to that question any more than I think a young 1st time head coach knows if he wants to coach in college. Money talks and if he has the "want to" in the idea of running a major college basketball program, then I'm betting that he would be successful. That's purely speculating that the T Wolves don't make the playoffs and their GM wants to make a change.

I have heard the exact opposite on Musselman. I doubt he'd leave Arkansas after one year, so it doesn't matter now. I don't know how someone can say "there is a lot of young talent on this roster" with a straight face after a 20 point loss to Iowa. If that is true, then Pitino is not just a bad coach, but literally the worst high major coach of all time.

I'm a Minnesotan and love it and won't ever leave. Others think the same about southern states. He'd leave Reno for a payday, but they wanted PAC 12 or SEC jobs over the U. MN isn't for everyone.
I get that. But you hear this "his wife won't live in place X" rumors so often. I take them with a massive grain of salt.

I don't know the answer to that question any more than I think a young 1st time head coach knows if he wants to coach in college. Money talks and if he has the "want to" in the idea of running a major college basketball program, then I'm betting that he would be successful. That's purely speculating that the T Wolves don't make the playoffs and their GM wants to make a change.
The Wolves is Ryan's dream job. He ain't leaving unless they fire him. Very doubtful in year one

If the GM thought the Wolves were making the play-offs this year, he has bigger issues.

I get that. But you hear this "his wife won't live in place X" rumors so often. I take them with a massive grain of salt.

Only reason we had a shot at Hoiberg is cause his wife loves the twin cities. It works both ways. Also coaches are gone a ton already, wives/family carry more weight in these decisions than most give credit for

Top Bottom