Coaching Search from the Collegiate Coaching Consortium - (Formerly the Villa 7 Consortium)

This is a terrible thread with ridiculous candidates. If we hired anyone mentioned in this entire thread, then I have no hope for the program...

Solid troll job, this thread should be deleted. The candidates the gopher holers have listed are leagues better than these candidates.
Do you think Minnesota can get a top coach without some baggage? The NDSU guy would be a fantastic fit. No one is going to be banging on the doors of the barn for this job. Marshal would be fantastic but as the thread said, Coyle or the U would not have the guts to bring him in. There are some solid picks here, sam M, Marshal, Davison, ....regrettably Minnesota is not a job many folks really want.

Lets me rainn this in a little bit.

\

Cute troll with the Rain Wilson reference. You got yo be a little slicker than that bro to sneak on by me - if you're looking for gullible posters I suggest you head over to the OTB and start hanging out with the fellas. T

My guess is that you're a troll who likes to muck things up for your bemusement. So do you live in WI or IA?

Player development has clearly been an issue under Pitino so I have a bit of an off the wall choice, how about Devean George? He is the poster child for developing as a player in college and essentially went to CSOM from a geographic standpoint.

Tell me he is is not the best candidate out there? Again, if he is beyond his anger issues, like Bobby Knight was at Texas Tech, Marshall might be the answer here.
Bobby Knight was not beyond his anger issues at TT, he found a place that had a former basketball coach as AD(Gerald Myers) that allowed him to call the shots. He wanted a place that he could set his son, Pat, up for the job. That didn’t work out well. Obviously Knight could coach and got them to a couple of sweet sixteens. It took a long time though to get to where Beard has them now after Pat Knight & Billy Gillespie sunk that program to the bottom.

Do you think Minnesota can get a top coach without some baggage? The NDSU guy would be a fantastic fit. No one is going to be banging on the doors of the barn for this job. Marshal would be fantastic but as the thread said, Coyle or the U would not have the guts to bring him in. There are some solid picks here, sam M, Marshal, Davison, ....regrettably Minnesota is not a job many folks really want.
I tend to disagree with you on all fronts. I think there are plenty of candidates that are very attainable that are a level up from the NDSU guy.

Craig Smith, Dutcher, Medved, Gates are all very attainable and would be better options than NDSU guy or Sam M. What is the interest in Sam M?

I can’t tell if you are trolling or not. After reading all your posts in this thread, I’m having a hard time seeing any logic.

If NDSU guy is the choice I may not renew my 20 year season tickets.

Minnesota isn't a job many folks want? It's a Big Ten job that will likely pay a lot of the names mentioned 4 to 5 times what they currently make. Half the names on this list aren't even coaching right now and probably aren't making ANY money. The facilities we have here compared to places like Colorado St, Boise St, Utah St, Cleveland St, etc. are juuuuuuuust a touch better.

I'm not sure what you do for work but would you seriously turn down a job doing the exact same thing you currently do but at a different company with a way nicer building, 5 times the salary, way more prestige in the industry, and all you have to do is turn around the mess in that department?

Since we’re throwing all kinds of names out there, we shock the basketball community and bring Brenda Frese back to Minnesota! She becomes the only woman coaching men’s basketball in D1 or D2.
This kind of implies that Richard Pitino is to the MBB program what Cheryl Littlejohn was to the WBB programs. Yes or no?

Minnesota isn't a job many folks want? It's a Big Ten job that will likely pay a lot of the names mentioned 4 to 5 times what they currently make. Half the names on this list aren't even coaching right now and probably aren't making ANY money. The facilities we have here compared to places like Colorado St, Boise St, Utah St, Cleveland St, etc. are juuuuuuuust a touch better.

I'm not sure what you do for work but would you seriously turn down a job doing the exact same thing you currently do but at a different company with a way nicer building, 5 times the salary, way more prestige in the industry, and all you have to do is turn around the mess in that department?
I give this guys opinions no value from here on out. Seems like a troll to me. No idea what he’s talking about.

Well said! Another advantage for a new coach is that he will be following Pitino instead of a good coach. Fran McCaffrey had this advantage when he was hired at Iowa. He immediately followed the execrable Todd Lickliter and, before him, Steve Alford (a reasonably successful coach but disliked intensely by many of the fans).

People are correct, whoever is the next coach (I prefer Musselman) will quickly look very good in comparison to the Pitino years. Just seeing players defend, or immediatley sit on the bench if they choose not to..........

This is a terrible thread with ridiculous candidates. If we hired anyone mentioned in this entire thread, then I have no hope for the program...

Solid troll job, this thread should be deleted. The candidates the gopher holers have listed are leagues better than these candidates.
Easy. Just because you don't have any real connections in the former Villa 7 cosortium doesn't mean you need to attack those who do. What do you mean Troll?Again, I'm not even sure what that means in your context? Why delete this threat? Outside of a few brigands like you who just like to piss in everyone's cheerios, we are trying to stay on the up and up here. Don't try to cancel me because you don't like some of the names thrown about. Its just a discussion.

Easy. Just because you don't have any real connections in the former Villa 7 cosortium doesn't mean you need to attack those who do. What do you mean Troll?Again, I'm not even sure what that means in your context? Why delete this threat? Outside of a few brigands like you who just like to piss in everyone's cheerios, we are trying to stay on the up and up here. Don't try to cancel me because you don't like some of the names thrown about. Its just a discussion.

Give it up, bro.

No consortium of coaches would actually have ideas this ludicrous.

To prove that fact, not one of the names you have floated here will actually even sniff an interview

Cute troll with the Rain Wilson reference. You got yo be a little slicker than that bro to sneak on by me - if you're looking for gullible posters I suggest you head over to the OTB and start hanging out with the fellas. T

My guess is that you're a troll who likes to muck things up for your bemusement. So do you live in WI or IA?
I am a proud longstanding fan of Minnesota sports since I started watching Cal Stoll coach at Mound High School!

A great case study by the College Coaching Consortium on picking the next head coach. Belzer and Bates make a strong case!
Case Study: Finding The Next Great Head Coach
BY JASON BELZER, BRAD BATES

tpps://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/case-study-next-head-coach

Last edited:

Give it up, bro.

No consortium of coaches would actually have ideas this ludicrous.

To prove that fact, not one of the names you have floated here will actually even sniff an interview
You could be right. Coyle may have his guy already hand-picked. Thus all these details could just be a formality. But in my circles, these are the rumors going around. Again, you may not like it but it is what it is!

People are correct, whoever is the next coach (I prefer Musselman) will quickly look very good in comparison to the Pitino years. Just seeing players defend, or immediately sit on the bench if they choose not to..........
Is anyone looking for plane tail numbers leaving out of Bill and Hillary Clinton National flying into Holman field?

Brad Underwood at Illinois has anger issues. He seems to be doing quite well. Greg Marshall would be a great hire. But I doubt he would be interested.

Brad Underwood at Illinois has anger issues. He seems to be doing quite well. Greg Marshall would be a great hire. But I doubt he would be interested.

Last I checked, Underwood hasn't choked any of his assistants and half his program hasn't transferred

Tell me this guy wouldn't look good in Gopher Maroon and Gold?

Maybe Hazeldon can work with him on his anger issues?

Marshall spent two years (1985–1987) as an assistant at his alma mater, Randolph-Macon College, in Ashland, Virginia, and another year as an assistant at Belmont Abbey College during the 1987–88 season.[4] He then spent eight years under John Kresse at the College of Charleston from 1988 to 1996, where the program received an at-large 1994 NCAA bid, and NIT invitations in 1995 and 1996.[4] He became an assistant coach at Marshall University, serving from 1996 to 1998.[4]

Winthrop
Marshall became the head coach at Winthrop University in 1998, and led the Winthrop Eagles men's basketball team to seven NCAA tournament appearances and transformed a previously undistinguished program into a mid-major powerhouse. In his first season at Winthrop in 1998–99, he compiled a record of 19–8 (9–1 in Big South Conference play), coaching the Eagles to their first regular season Big South title. They went on to win the Big South Conference Tournament, earning the Eagles their first-ever bid to the NCAA Tournament. As a No. 16 seed, the team lost to the No. 1 seed Auburn Tigers in the first round, 80–41.[5]

During his nine seasons at Winthrop, Marshall coached the team to six regular season titles (1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007), seven Big South Tournament titles (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007), six 20-win seasons (1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007), and was named Big South Coach of the Year four times (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007). In 2006, he became the all-time most successful coach in Winthrop men's basketball history.[2] During the 2006–07 season, Marshall became the first coach in the history of the Big South Conference to have his team go undefeated in conference play.

The 2006 NCAA Tournament matched No. 15 seed Winthrop against the No. 2 seed Tennessee Volunteers, the Southeastern Conference Eastern Division champion, in the first round. Winthrop led for much of the game, only to lose 63–61 on a long jump shot with 2.9 seconds remaining.[6] In 2007, Marshall became the first Big South coach to win an NCAA first round tournament game by defeating No. 6 seed Notre Dame.[7]

Marshall's success at the mid-major level created a lot of speculation that he could be a contender for the coaching position at North Carolina State University, which was vacated with the departure of Herb Sendek. Sidney Lowe, a former NC State player and former head coach of the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves and Memphis Grizzlies, was eventually named the head coach of the Wolfpack. Marshall accepted an offer to coach the College of Charleston in June 2006[8] but changed his mind after the press conference introducing him as coach and returned to Winthrop.[9]

Wichita State
Marshall was named head coach at Wichita State University on April 14, 2007[10] In his fourth season at WSU, Marshall lead the Shockers to the NIT Championship, defeating Alabama in the finals.[11] Under Marshall, Wichita State broke into the AP Top 25 poll on February 13, 2012, the first time since December 25, 2006,[12] and only the second time since 1983.[13] In 2012, Wichita State made its first appearance in the NCAA tournament since the 2005–06 season, receiving an at-large bid.[14] The Shockers were matched as a No. 5 seed versus the No. 12 seed VCU Rams, but the Shockers lost 59–62.[14] In the 2012–13 season, Marshall led the Shockers to their first Final Four since 1965, defeating the AP #1, #7, and #20 teams in the country to win the West Regional.

In 2013–14, Marshall led Wichita State to arguably the greatest season in school history. The Shockers steamrolled through the regular season, becoming the second Division I team to start a regular season with 30 consecutive wins (31–0). They rose as high as second in both major polls in late February, the highest that a Shocker team has been ranked since 1981. On March 9, 2014, Wichita State finished their regular season and the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament with a record of 34–0, heading into the NCAA Tournament undefeated. That record ties an NCAA Division I Men's basketball record, held by the UNLV, set in 1991. Wichita State later went on to win their first game of the 2014 NCAA Tournament versus Cal Poly 64–37. The Shockers were 35–0, becoming the first team in Men's Division I basketball history to start with 35 wins and zero losses. In the third round of the tournament they squared off against Kentucky. Wichita State lost the game 76–78, ending their perfect run. They finished the 2013–14 season at 35–1.

In October 2020, The Athletic reported that Marshall was under investigation by Wichita State for misconduct.[15]

On November 17, 2020, Marshall resigned from Wichita State. He will be paid a settlement of $7.75 million over six years.[16][17] Lead assistant Isaac Brown was named interim head coach.[18]

From Wikipedia

Marshall, but only if he brings that blond floppy-haired guard that seemed to play for 12 years.

Stop with the fckg cancel sh!t.....

Marshall spent two years (1985–1987) as an assistant at his alma mater, Randolph-Macon College, in Ashland, Virginia, and another year as an assistant at Belmont Abbey College during the 1987–88 season.[4] He then spent eight years under John Kresse at the College of Charleston from 1988 to 1996, where the program received an at-large 1994 NCAA bid, and NIT invitations in 1995 and 1996.[4] He became an assistant coach at Marshall University, serving from 1996 to 1998.[4]

Winthrop
Marshall became the head coach at Winthrop University in 1998, and led the Winthrop Eagles men's basketball team to seven NCAA tournament appearances and transformed a previously undistinguished program into a mid-major powerhouse. In his first season at Winthrop in 1998–99, he compiled a record of 19–8 (9–1 in Big South Conference play), coaching the Eagles to their first regular season Big South title. They went on to win the Big South Conference Tournament, earning the Eagles their first-ever bid to the NCAA Tournament. As a No. 16 seed, the team lost to the No. 1 seed Auburn Tigers in the first round, 80–41.[5]

During his nine seasons at Winthrop, Marshall coached the team to six regular season titles (1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007), seven Big South Tournament titles (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007), six 20-win seasons (1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007), and was named Big South Coach of the Year four times (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007). In 2006, he became the all-time most successful coach in Winthrop men's basketball history.[2] During the 2006–07 season, Marshall became the first coach in the history of the Big South Conference to have his team go undefeated in conference play.

The 2006 NCAA Tournament matched No. 15 seed Winthrop against the No. 2 seed Tennessee Volunteers, the Southeastern Conference Eastern Division champion, in the first round. Winthrop led for much of the game, only to lose 63–61 on a long jump shot with 2.9 seconds remaining.[6] In 2007, Marshall became the first Big South coach to win an NCAA first round tournament game by defeating No. 6 seed Notre Dame.[7]

Marshall's success at the mid-major level created a lot of speculation that he could be a contender for the coaching position at North Carolina State University, which was vacated with the departure of Herb Sendek. Sidney Lowe, a former NC State player and former head coach of the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves and Memphis Grizzlies, was eventually named the head coach of the Wolfpack. Marshall accepted an offer to coach the College of Charleston in June 2006[8] but changed his mind after the press conference introducing him as coach and returned to Winthrop.[9]

Wichita State
Marshall was named head coach at Wichita State University on April 14, 2007[10] In his fourth season at WSU, Marshall lead the Shockers to the NIT Championship, defeating Alabama in the finals.[11] Under Marshall, Wichita State broke into the AP Top 25 poll on February 13, 2012, the first time since December 25, 2006,[12] and only the second time since 1983.[13] In 2012, Wichita State made its first appearance in the NCAA tournament since the 2005–06 season, receiving an at-large bid.[14] The Shockers were matched as a No. 5 seed versus the No. 12 seed VCU Rams, but the Shockers lost 59–62.[14] In the 2012–13 season, Marshall led the Shockers to their first Final Four since 1965, defeating the AP #1, #7, and #20 teams in the country to win the West Regional.

In 2013–14, Marshall led Wichita State to arguably the greatest season in school history. The Shockers steamrolled through the regular season, becoming the second Division I team to start a regular season with 30 consecutive wins (31–0). They rose as high as second in both major polls in late February, the highest that a Shocker team has been ranked since 1981. On March 9, 2014, Wichita State finished their regular season and the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament with a record of 34–0, heading into the NCAA Tournament undefeated. That record ties an NCAA Division I Men's basketball record, held by the UNLV, set in 1991. Wichita State later went on to win their first game of the 2014 NCAA Tournament versus Cal Poly 64–37. The Shockers were 35–0, becoming the first team in Men's Division I basketball history to start with 35 wins and zero losses. In the third round of the tournament they squared off against Kentucky. Wichita State lost the game 76–78, ending their perfect run. They finished the 2013–14 season at 35–1.

In October 2020, The Athletic reported that Marshall was under investigation by Wichita State for misconduct.[15]

On November 17, 2020, Marshall resigned from Wichita State. He will be paid a settlement of $7.75 million over six years.[16][17] Lead assistant Isaac Brown was named interim head coach.[18]

From Wikipedia
Are you serious? He had a good portion of his last several classes transfer out, even starters.

Winthrop

Wichita State

From Wikipedia

Pushing Marshall makes me think that you're either related to him, his agent or Marshall himself.

Have some humility for Pete's sake and go to a low level D1 program if you can find a taker or D2 etc...No way the regents sign off on someone like him/you.

Are you serious? He had a good portion of his last several classes transfer out, even starters.
All true. Again, if he has not fixed his anger issues its a moot point in my book. But if he has shown some redemption and he has changed, then bring him in. He's been a winner everywhere he has gone.

And I have no relation or connection of any kind to him.

Pushing Marshall makes me think that you're either related to him, his agent or Marshall himself.

Have some humility for Pete's sake and go to a low level D1 program if you can find a taker or D2 etc...No way the regents sign off on someone like him/you.
I have no relation or connection of any kind to Marshall. And you may be right about the regents etc. But that says more about our regents than Gregg Marshall. I'm glad you said it and not me!

I have no relation or connection of any kind to Marshall. And you may be right about the regents etc. But that says more about our regents than Gregg Marshall. I'm glad you said it and not me!

Marshall has been good, but not as good since joining the American Athletic Conference. How would he handle the Big Ten?

Top Bottom