Coaching Search from the Collegiate Coaching Consortium - (Formerly the Villa 7 Consortium)

Bobby Knight didn't have to go to a mid-major. Just saying!

Yes, Texas Tech did hire him after a one year of sitting out. But, that was 20 years ago, Knight was one of the most successful CB coaches of all time, and he also had a very good record for the academic progress of his players.

Young did five years in Minnesota and was a top-notch national recruiter and assistant coach before joining UConn in 2018.

I'd say "top notch" is a bit of an overstatement. He was decent by Big Ten standards.

So a guy that is partly responsible for a failed tenure here under Pitino, who has zero HC experience? Wasn't he the lead east coast recruiter, that got Jelly, McNeil, McBrayer? At least McBrayer turned out, but I can't say the name excites me in the least. If he had no MN connection, he wouldn't even be on the radar.
Is that a function of Young or Richard Pitino that guys are not fully developing? Seems many guys have not developed under Richard both during and since Young was here. Hard to know, but I put more emphasis on the head coach.

Greg Marshall is someone you hire if you are just awful and have an AD with zero clue. Mark Coyle is competent enough at hiring that he doesn't need to go for Marshall.

Yes, Texas Tech did hire him after a one year of sitting out. But, that was 20 years ago, Knight was one of the most successful CB coaches of all time, and he also had a very good record for the academic progress of his players.

Yep, not 100% the same. No two situations are. With Bobby Knight, we also had video of him choking out a player. But we can play this semantics game all day, the two situations are not exactly the same, they are similar.

Both were clearly the best coaches available and we would have zero chance of landing either one of them if not for a controversy.

The funny thing is, it'd probably more likely that a former drug trafficker in Kimani Young would get his shot at redemption before Gregg Marshall for making indian noises and being mean.

Greg Marshall is someone you hire if you are just awful and have an AD with zero clue. Mark Coyle is competent enough at hiring that he doesn't need to go for Marshall.

I don't think it's about Coyle being smart enough, it's that Coyle would have to deal with the endless crying from the purple-haired academic types.

Yep, not 100% the same. No two situations are. With Bobby Knight, we also had video of him choking out a player. But we can play this semantics game all day, the two situations are not exactly the same, they are similar.

Both were clearly the best coaches available and we would have zero chance of landing either one of them if not for a controversy.

The funny thing is, it'd probably more likely that a former drug trafficker in Kimani Young would get his shot at redemption before Gregg Marshall for making indian noises and being mean.
Exactly. I could also easily see Marshall getting another gig at a place like Texas Tech like Knight did. But not at MN. Coyle knows he would get buried by the press. It's likely that the president/regents who need to approve the hire wouldn't approve for similar reasons. Whether Marshall "deserves" a shot at redemption or not is immaterial. The risk/reward just isn't worth it for Coyle.

I don't think it's about Coyle being smart enough, it's that Coyle would have to deal with the endless crying from the purple-haired academic types.
Outside the academic types there would be a significant risk.

Tell me he is is not the best candidate out there? Again, if he is beyond his anger issues, like Bobby Knight was at Texas Tech, Marshall might be the answer here.
It hasn't even been four months since Marshall agreed to the buy-out from Wichita State. And I don't recall seeing anywhere that he acknowledged he was in the wrong, was going to anger management, etc. Any high major university that would bring Marshall on board at this point would endure a backlash that makes the former Iowa strength coach's hire in Jacksonville look as mild as salsa made by my Mom.

Marshall will get a shot at some point, but I don't see it being this offseason.

As far as your comparison between Young and Marshall, it's a bit laughable. Young made a mistake when he was in his early 20's (more than 20 years ago) and has done his time for that. He also has worked hard to build a strong career since then and has a lot to show for it. Marshall's transgressions were recent and besides "making Indian noises" he was physical with a number of his players. Marshall also hasn't shown any remorse.

Give me the guy who made positive changes and did something with his second chance every day of the week.

You're really soft-selling the allegations against Marshall, confirmed by multiple sources and evident during his time both at Wichita State and Winthrop. Players were leaving the Wichita State program in droves before the story broke.

And what's this talk about Kimani Young getting his shot at redemption before Marshall? Young was arrested and spent a year in federal prison back in 1998. He worked his way through the NY city basketball programs before Pitino hired him in 2012 at Florida International and he's been an assistant at the "U" and UConn since then. To my knowledge, no one's offered a head coaching job his way yet and his past mistakes (from over 20 years ago) will surely inform any consideration of him as a head coach. Marshall hasn't even been on the sidelines for four months. I'm sparing my tears for someone more deserving.

Greg Marshall would take take the gophers to the next level. He deserves another shot and why not here. We need to go Big with Marshall or Go home and hire the Augustana Coach.
Why exactly does he deserve another shot?

He deserves a shot someplace because he is a changed human. He is one hell of a basketball coach and recruiter and we should give him a shot. He is the “Rick Leach” of college hoops. All he does is win.
The gophers need a game changer or we will always be in the bottom quarter of B1G hoops.

Sorry, am I missing some sarcasm for entertainment purposes? Is this thread a parody?

Greg Marshall?
Kamani Young?
Terry Porter? (who was just fired at Portland after going 7-70 in conference play the last 5 years)
JB Bickerstaff? (with a career NBA record of 104-158)
David Richman?

There is no chance for any of those coaches to be candidates in the Gopher coaching search.

Last edited:

He deserves a shot someplace because he is a changed human. He is one hell of a basketball coach and recruiter and we should give him a shot. He is the “Rick Leach” of college hoops. All he does is win.
The gophers need a game changer or we will always be in the bottom quarter of B1G hoops.

Who the hell is Rick Leach? The former Michigan QB who went on to play pro baseball?

This thread gets better by the post.

Greg Marshall is no Tim Brewster but a Legit big namer who wins.
I know it is a long shot for Coyle but his hire of PJ was a bold move.
We need another to get back to the upper half of the B1G. Marshall would be the guy to transform this program.

Why do we give a F$@* what a coaching consortium thinks if Coyle doesn't use one?

Wasn't that a MegaTongue thing?

We need another to get back to the upper half of the B1G. Marshall would be the guy to transform this program.

Gates would be a bold move. Not a retread like Marshall with repeated temper issues. Imagine what that would do to recruiting? "Come join us at the U! We just hired a guy who caused half his old team to transfer!"

..... you’re talking about the guy who choked one of our current assistant coaches?

I can’t speak for the CCC as I am not a member. However, Coyle does not have a search committee per say. I know Lou N and The Najariun boys are on the give “advice” list of major donors and have major influence. The CCC has candidates they run up the line for openings and any potential vacancies such as Minnesota. They have “placed” quite a few names in the past couple years.

Hard pass on Marshall!!! 6+ players left that program last Summer.....

Top Bottom