Coaching Search from the Collegiate Coaching Consortium - (Formerly the Villa 7 Consortium)

Another name that has been quietly being whispered is Chauncey Billups

he is with the clippers and could follow some of his peers into the college game

This is the funniest thread I've read this week.

Keep it going, boys!

There’s a whisper campaign underway for Ryan Wolf. A lot of positives to consider:
* former Golden Gopher cager, would likely be loyal to the program
* had great success at Barton County CC, would have connections to the junco scene for quick turnover of the roster
* Midwest guy, from Indiana, we like that
* It’s been 15 years since his transgressions at Barton, surely he’s learned his lesson and is ready for redemption
* in these tight economic times, with Pitino’s buyout to factor in, Wolf will be the ultimate “buy low” candidate

Make it happen Coyle!

Randy Breuer might be available—talk about an imposing figure on the sidelines while tapping into Golden Gopher history!

Screw Wolf, go get Breu, Coyle!!!

Sorry, am I missing some sarcasm for entertainment purposes? Is this thread a parody?

Greg Marshall?
Kamani Young?
Terry Porter? (who was just fired at Portland after going 7-70 in conference play the last 5 years)
JB Bickerstaff? (with a career NBA record of 104-158)
David Richman?

There is no chance for any of those coaches to be candidates in the Gopher coaching search.
Maybe not... BUT, what about Sam Mitchell ;)

Last edited:

Upon further consideration, I have the guy-an imposing, take no prisoners candidate who would recall the salad days of the Bill Musselman era (while avoiding the buyout that Eric would require). Plus, this grizzled veteran would certainly finish off his career with the Gophers. Ron Behagen, come on down!

I have personal ties to the Collegiate Coaching Consortium - (Formerly the Villa 7 Consortium). Obviously, the buzz in the CCC about Richard Patino leaving Minnesota has filled up the group's message boards over the last few days. One of the names whispered is Gregg Marshall, formerly with Witchita State. I will add this as well- a few other surprise candidates could emerge if Marshal cannot put his legal and anger issues behind him. The list I have seen from the CCC is interesting, to say the least- it goes way beyond what GopherLady has pointed out. Also, names from JB Bickerstaff, Kevin Mchale, Terry Porter have been thrown about. Another dark horse could be Kimani Young who knows this team, the state, the program.

Hard pass on Young - why in the world would Coyle hire a coach with nothing on his resume for being a HC and how would that excite fans and recruits??????? Makes zero sense and quite frankly, his overall recruiting here was mediocre at best - after being touted as having a legit East Coast pipeline - Jelly and Harris from NJ, didn't cut it. Also, it's not a biggie to get a rec from your employer if you've done a good job, fairly prima facia.

Harder pass on Marshall (LOL) - he wouldn't fly in MN, nor should he here or any other P5 program period, exclamation point. He is a disgrace and should go to a low level D! program at the highest - rarely do older dogs learn new tricks.

Norwood, thanks for posting and hopefully you're keeping your tongue in you mouth ;)
This post/information is on the same level as you tenure here (including the Pitino hire) as an AD - MEH to a negative MEH

I wonder if we could get Cheryl Reeve away from the Lynx? 🤔🤣🤣

A lot to like about Richman. He knows the game, he knows the area, he knows what it takes to keep kids at home, and his teams always compete at a D1 level! He is no Greg Marshall but he also has a clean record. On top of that, he has a .625 winning percentage in the upstart summit league!
Richman would not lose the tier two Minnesota kids like Richie...he may not get the four or five stars but he will not lose the next tier. Also, he can develop kids.

Lets me rainn this in a little bit. This post got away from me. Gopher Holers just remember: I just report the rumors around the CCC circles. I know a lot of people don't agree, and this is ok.

Another name that surfaced today is Wes Miller from NC Greensborough. I think this could be a serious candidate if the Gregg Marshall rebirth doesn't pan out. Lots of moving pieces here- its tough to keep up! I heard Miller may have been in contact with agents of the Gopher program within the past 24 hours! Look at that winning percentage his last 5 years! My understanding is Miller is known as an old-school kitchen-table style recruiter who could keep the MN kids home. He's young (not Kamani Young), a players coach, he knows how to win the battle of the locker room, he works the refs as effectively as any coach in basketball. Unlike our current coach, his teams defend. They still play half-court man-to-man, but they mix in half-court zone defenses, too. And after made baskets, Miller likes to play that relentless 1-2-2 zone press. Again, Don't shoot the messenger here!

I am not a big fan, I watch most NCG games and they also have issues shooting the three ball....I would go for Richman of NDSU. He knows the area, can recruit North Dakota, Minnesota, and South Dakota. Lots of good talent here .

Last edited:

Since we’re throwing all kinds of names out there, we shock the basketball community and bring Brenda Frese back to Minnesota! She becomes the only woman coaching men’s basketball in D1 or D2.

Since we’re throwing all kinds of names out there, we shock the basketball community and bring Brenda Frese back to Minnesota! She becomes the only woman coaching men’s basketball in D1 or D2.
Any relation to Brenda Oldfield?

This is a terrible thread with ridiculous candidates. If we hired anyone mentioned in this entire thread, then I have no hope for the program...

Solid troll job, this thread should be deleted. The candidates the gopher holers have listed are leagues better than these candidates.

This is a terrible thread with ridiculous candidates. If we hired anyone mentioned in this entire thread, then I have no hope for the program...

Solid troll job, this thread should be deleted. The candidates the gopher holers have listed are leagues better than these candidates.

Don't get too down. But on the down-low, my friend is tight with Coyles garbage person and he told me that he saw a piece of paper with the name Gene Hackman circled and lots of !!!!!

I guess after Hoosiers the became so enthralled in the basketball world he got an online degree in sports management from grand canyon and does an awesome job on NBA2K

Don't get too down. But on the down-low, my friend is tight with Coyles garbage person and he told me that he saw a piece of paper with the name Gene Hackman circled and lots of !!!!!

I guess after Hoosiers the became so enthralled in the basketball world he got an online degree in sports management from grand canyon and does an awesome job on NBA2K
Hahah even the garbage man is plugged in.

Maybe it’s good to mix in a comedic thread now and then.

Top Bottom