Coaching Search from the Collegiate Coaching Consortium - (Formerly the Villa 7 Consortium)

Dwight Schrute

When I die I want to be frozen
Reaction score
I have personal ties to the Collegiate Coaching Consortium - (Formerly the Villa 7 Consortium). Obviously, the buzz in the CCC about Richard Patino leaving Minnesota has filled up the group's message boards over the last few days. One of the names whispered is Gregg Marshall, formerly with Witchita State. I will add this as well- a few other surprise candidates could emerge if Marshal cannot put his legal and anger issues behind him. The list I have seen from the CCC is interesting, to say the least- it goes way beyond what GopherLady has pointed out. Also, names from JB Bickerstaff, Kevin Mchale, Terry Porter have been thrown about. Another dark horse could be Kimani Young who knows this team, the state, the program.

Last edited:

The big name folks from the CCC message boards also mentioned above is Sam Mitchell . He has ties to MN and should be heavily considered. Is Norwood Teague still part of this group?

I have not seen nor heard from Norwood in quite some time. He has taken more a low profile approach in recent years. Norwood Teague is a Director at Sockwell Partners and the Event Director for Business North Carolina's annual #MFGCON and #CEOSummit. It appears he has broadened his horizons from his days at MN.

No way they take a flyer on Marshall. He'll have to start over in a mid before he would get at chance at a larger program.

Does Sam Mitchell have any interst at all in the college game though?

I bet Kyle Lindsted could give Marshall a rave review :rolleyes:. No chance Marshall gets a shot here. No denying he is a great coach, but he is a crap human being.
You may be right on Marshall. It's just what has been discussed within the whispers of the consortium, that is why I reported it. Perhaps he has worked on his issues and would be a good fit here with a new start. I don't personally know him...Some people do change!

No way they take a flyer on Marshall. He'll have to start over in a mid before he would get at chance at a larger program.
Bobby Knight didn't have to go to a mid-major. Just saying!

Bobby Knight didn't have to go to a mid-major. Just saying!
Marshall got like $8 mil when he left. Why would he come back w/o a giant contract. It ain't happening...at least at UMN. There are programs dumb enough to hire him I assume.

This has to be a troll job.

Zero chance Marshall would be considered. Highly doubt Kevin McHale is looking to come back and hit the recruiting trail at his age.
Probably right, but just one of the names that has been floated about!

What is a troll job? Im not even sure what that means?

I'm questioning the veracity or genuine nature of the Gregg Marshall talk. It seems like someone is saying this to get a rise out of people on the internet

This community can't hire a Gregg Marshall.

Everyone would get fired.
Coyle, the President, the hockey coach, Fleck, everyone.
They are not going to hire (or interview) Gregg Marshall.

I've always like Sam Mitchell. Appears to be a very class guy from what I've seen. From there, I draw a blank as to his abilities as a college coach.
Mitchell is one of the easier guys to root for, as he is a class act all the way around. His nba head coaching record is nothing special, and he lasted one (I think) season at Memphis with Penny before parting ways. Not sure what screams B1G head coach from his resume.

I think mike max mentioned sam and Greg marshal on his program tonight.
Maxiy is a credible source as he knows this program as well as anyone except doggie. Where is Sid when we need him!

Mitchell is one of the easier guys to root for, as he is a class act all the way around. His nba head coaching record is nothing special, and he lasted one (I think) season at Memphis with Penny before parting ways. Not sure what screams B1G head coach from his resume.

I like Sam but this would not be a good hire. I'd like to see him stick around the college game for awhile before I think he is cut out to recruit and coach 18 year olds. He's old school.

As far as Marshall, someone will take a chance on him. He is supposed to be a jerk but a lot of his former players went to bat for him and his resume is by far the best. It reminds me a little of Kiffin. I think there are a number of teams that wish they would have rolled the dice on him prior to going to FAU.

I can't imagine the interactions between PJ and Marshall.

Outside of precipitating some interesting conversation, I call BS on the OP.

This has to be a troll job.

Zero chance Marshall would be considered. Highly doubt Kevin McHale is looking to come back and hit the recruiting trail at his age.
Would he have to? Or could he zoom into kids living rooms?

The sleeper is Dave Richman at NDSU....he is the type of guy Coyle likes
I wonder if the CCC folks have heard his name in their circles?
A lot to like about Richman. He knows the game, he knows the area, he knows what it takes to keep kids at home, and his teams always compete at a D1 level! He is no Greg Marshall but he also has a clean record. On top of that, he has a .625 winning percentage in the upstart summit league!

Outside of precipitating some interesting conversation, I call BS on the OP.
I'm questioning the veracity or genuine nature of the Gregg Marshall talk. It seems like someone is saying this to get a rise out of people on the internet
Tell me he is is not the best candidate out there? Again, if he is beyond his anger issues, like Bobby Knight was at Texas Tech, Marshall might be the answer here.

Hurley on Kimani Young! A name heating up in the coaching "rumor" circles...

“Since we’ve been here, Coach Young’s contributions in coaching, recruiting and player development, as well as in the building of our culture, have been immeasurable,” Hurley said. “He is a leader of young men, who connects with young people and builds strong relationships both inside and outside our program.”

Young, 46, has been involved in all aspects of the UConn program. Working on the court mostly with the perimeter players, he already has helped three UConn players to all-conference status...He has helped bring back-to-back Top 20 recruiting classes to Storrs, with a likely third one on the way. "

“Kimani is highly respected at all levels of basketball,” Hurley said. “He has all the tools to become a head coach in the near future.”

Young is a native of N.Y. and started as a college coach at Florida International under coach Richard Pitino and left with Pitino to the University of Minnesota. Young did five years in Minnesota and was a top-notch national recruiter and assistant coach before joining UConn in 2018.

Hurley on Kimani Young! A name heating up in the coaching "rumor" circles...

“Since we’ve been here, Coach Young’s contributions in coaching, recruiting and player development, as well as in the building of our culture, have been immeasurable,” Hurley said. “He is a leader of young men, who connects with young people and builds strong relationships both inside and outside our program.”

Young, 46, has been involved in all aspects of the UConn program. Working on the court mostly with the perimeter players, he already has helped three UConn players to all-conference status...He has helped bring back-to-back Top 20 recruiting classes to Storrs, with a likely third one on the way. "

“Kimani is highly respected at all levels of basketball,” Hurley said. “He has all the tools to become a head coach in the near future.”

Young is a native of N.Y. and started as a college coach at Florida International under coach Richard Pitino and left with Pitino to the University of Minnesota. Young did five years in Minnesota and was a top-notch national recruiter and assistant coach before joining UConn in 2018.
So a guy that is partly responsible for a failed tenure here under Pitino, who has zero HC experience? Wasn't he the lead east coast recruiter, that got Jelly, McNeil, McBrayer? At least McBrayer turned out, but I can't say the name excites me in the least. If he had no MN connection, he wouldn't even be on the radar.

Young is a native of N.Y. and started as a college coach at Florida International under coach Richard Pitino and left with Pitino to the University of Minnesota. Young did five years in. . .
Kudos to Kimani for turning his life around, but am I the only one who read this and was surprised the next word in this sentence was Minnesota?

Top Bottom