Coaching Changes says source they trust: Muss already sending 3rd party inquiries to Minnesota and ASU as well as several less realistic spots

When those players are elite sure. Were we elite?

Are you trying to make us all laugh? Cause your posts are hilarious!

Maybe you didn't bother to check how Arkansas (1-6 in the SEC) was doing this year before defaulting to smug idiot mode.

I buy that he may want out of Arkansas. He wins but I can see that he might wear out his welcome after 5-7 years. I don't care, I'd take that.
I'd also take that. Even 4 years. I'm in.

There are always exceptions but it if were generally a big factor, a lot fewer coaches would be moving around each year.
She’s top notch and in my experience they usually get what they want and the that’s the price of having hotness in your life.

No but that is neither here no there.
It’s absolutely relevant. SplitDecision was blasting Illinois for playing Shannon. It’s only logical to assume that underwood believes Shannon’s story, so the question is directly asking what he would do in Underwood’s shoes.

If I had reason to believe Shannon, I’d play him.

Perhaps you're thinking of Terry Holland's wife. There was also a rumor that Muss basically inquired to find out if MN would be open before he accepted the Arkansas job. I seriously doubt the weather is a deciding factor.
Just send the Musselmans Minneapolis's 10 day forecast and tell them this is the norm.

Just off the top of my head 1st or 2nd year HC's that are having success are Seton Hall, St. John's, Texas Tech, Kansas State, South Carolina, Miss St, Ole Miss, Missouri(last year), Utah State and McNeese State.

Obviously, not all programs see success in year 1 or 2(ours would be a good example) but the premise still remains, in this day and age it's never been easier to turn it around quicker.
But what did those coaches inherit? Did they inherit a dumpster fire like Ben did?

Ben chose to recruit high school kids and play them a lot as freshmen. His first recruits are now sophomores. You're like most fans...you don't have the patience for this. But I don't start looking for many wins until a coach's first recruits juniors.

It’s absolutely relevant. SplitDecision was blasting Illinois for playing Shannon. It’s only logical to assume that underwood believes Shannon’s story, so the question is directly asking what he would do in Underwood’s shoes.

If I had reason to believe Shannon, I’d play him.
I wouldn't. But I get why you would I just disagree.

Not sure how this is relevant to Muss though...

But what did those coaches inherit? Did they inherit a dumpster fire like Ben did?

Ben chose to recruit high school kids and play them a lot as freshmen. His first recruits are now sophomores. You're like most fans...you don't have the patience for this. But I don't start looking for many wins until a coach's first recruits juniors.
And those sophomores are doing what exactly? What if they leave before they are juniors which seems to happen a lot these days?

So Ben chose a path that in modern basketball is rather risky with a program like ours. Since you don't expect wins until apparently next year if they stink will you call for his head or will the goalposts move?

I keep asking...how much rope does he get and no one has the balls to answer. What do you expect out of next season and what is Ben's floor for keeping his job?

I wouldn't. But I get why you would I just disagree.

Not sure how this is relevant to Muss though...
So even if you believed him...and you thought she was lying...you'd kick your best player out and self-sabotage your best team.

A coach like that could lose team morale. Things could really fall apart.

For the most part they all did inherit bad situations. Hell Utah State lost their entire team and their coach has them sitting in the top 20.

I'm perfectly fine being patient. Like I've said my only expectation is to hopefully be better than what got Pitino in his final year by the end of the year.

And those sophomores are doing what exactly? What if they leave before they are juniors which seems to happen a lot these days?

So Ben chose a path that in modern basketball is rather risky with a program like ours. Since you don't expect wins until apparently next year if they stink will you call for his head or will the goalposts move?

I keep asking...how much rope does he get and no one has the balls to answer. What do you expect out of next season and what is Ben's floor for keeping his job?
He gets the chance to develop a class, ya stooge.

I've skipped over most of this so might be repeating some of this.

Muss isn't coming here. I would LOVE the hire but it's not happening. First off, we are seemingly too cheap to pay CBJ buyout, imagine that and then having to pay him $5m+. Second, the U has always been a huge stickler in sports for any minor issue. Muss hasn't been in trouble, but he's very outspoken and loud. The administration won't like that. Lastly, I think Coyle tries to hire lifers. Motzko, Whalen, CBJ, Ritter are just a few examples. He does not appear to be a guy who chases a shorter term mercenary.

Not saying I agree with all those "issues" but I think they are real enough to make that hire essentially impossible unfortunately.

Muss isn't coming here. I would LOVE the hire but it's not happening. First off, we are seemingly too cheap to pay CBJ buyout, imagine that and then having to pay him $5m+. Second, the U has always been a huge stickler in sports for any minor issue. Muss hasn't been in trouble, but he's very outspoken and loud. The administration won't like that. Lastly, I think Coyle tries to hire lifers. Motzko, Whalen, CBJ, Ritter are just a few examples. He does not appear to be a guy who chases a shorter term mercenary.

Not saying I agree with all those "issues" but I think they are real enough to make that hire essentially impossible unfortunately.
Without reading the thread, you pretty much nailed the gist of of it. The only material point you missed is that it’s likely Muss’s agent is putting out rumors in a contract year.

So, basically there are no new ideas on this board.

This is Minnesota. Nothing here is a sure thing. We have to take some risks. Yes, player development is risky...because yes, once they become good they could get bribed away.

I like how Ben has managed to keep the young players' minutes down. Develop...but not too fast. We don't want our players on the paying-teams' radars yet. It's a balancing act.

To answer your last question...I expect the team to be much improved next year if everyone returns. But I don't have a minimum win requirement for Ben to keep his job. Too many factors to consider.

Tubby was one of the 15 or so highest paid coaches when we hired him and PJ is plenty "loud". I'm not saying it's likely, but saying there's no chance based on conservative administrators from 15 years ago is also a big assumption. If we truly get into a bidding war, we won't win, but if it's just a matter of matching or slightly exceeding what he makes now it's not unreasonable. The amount of tickets he'd sell here probably exceeds what he would anywhere else.

Led by fifth-year head coach Eric Musselman, the Razorback men's basketball staff will make a combined $5.15 million, which Whole Hog Sports reports is a program record. Musselman leads the pack with an annual salary of $4.2 million, which is up $100,000 from last year thanks to another NCAA Tournament appearance.

Musselman signed a five-year extension in April 2021 that bumped his annual salary up to $4 million. At the time, he was eighth nationally among college head coaches. According to BetMGM, Musselman still ranks eighth nationally at the $4.2 million mark.

-----------------------------------------

10) Eric Musselman, Arkansas

For the most part they all did inherit bad situations. Hell Utah State lost their entire team and their coach has them sitting in the top 20.

I'm perfectly fine being patient. Like I've said my only expectation is to hopefully be better than what got Pitino in his final year by the end of the year.
In this day and age, the good coaches and program builders are able to right ships fast. I'd expect someone like Sprinkle--or Musselman--to do something similar here. The idea that a rebuild needs to take several years and include the worst two years in program history is so absurd and idiotic.

The other idiotic thing is this notion about "compliance." Musselman has done it cleanly by all accounts. Tennessee's your compliance problem in that conference.

Without reading the thread, you pretty much nailed the gist of of it. The only material point you missed is that it’s likely Muss’s agent is putting out rumors in a contract year.

So, basically there are no new ideas on this board.

I agree completely with your review of that post!

Your addition (the bolded part) is also priceless!

So even if you believed him...and you thought she was lying...you'd kick your best player out and self-sabotage your best team.

A coach like that could lose team morale. Things could really fall apart.

Its a tough decision, one I will lose fans over either way most likely. It is not a decision I will make off the cuff though.

And here is the real struggle, it isn't the wins and losses. I agree the fallout could be terrible even if he did it. Look at how people reacted to the Reggie Lynch stuff here and there were rumors of him doing that stuff at his previous school. But it has to be more than what I believe IMHO. What I believe and what reality is are two different animals. I might truly believe he is innocent, doesn't mean he is. I don't know all the facts and I likely wouldn't even if I was really close with the player. How much is my bias playing in to the trusting him over her? What happens if I play him because I trust him and then he is convicted...sure I didn't self sabotage the season but the fallout from that could lead to me being on the hot seat as well.

Understand I am not saying Bob or you are wrong to feel differently...as I said I get it. I just can't...

Top Bottom