Coaching Changes says source they trust: Muss already sending 3rd party inquiries to Minnesota and ASU as well as several less realistic spots

The more I've thought about it the more I think it was a bad time to part with Richard just based on the changes with the transfer portal.

He was pretty good at using a mix of transfers/high school players here, the transfers just had to sit out. If you look at his New Mexico roster, it's a good mix of high school players and transfers.
He's become an above-average coach. Unfortunately we were his starter home. I can relate. Everything I learned about what not to do with a house I'm applying to the new home we built eight years ago, and it fucking rocks.

Spectre of doogie rises again….
Do not besmirch Mr. or Mrs. CoachinChanges good name! I know nothing about their credibility, their instincts, or their sources but they HAVE to be more plugged in the Doogie. They also actually said something, Doogie’s would have been “don’t be surprised if Muss potentially sends out feelers to other programs and it would not be shocking if one of those programs could be the U of MN".

It seems like the narrative on Musselman has shifted from "he'd never come here" to "we don't want him/the U will never approve him"
There are multiple narratives that cross each other routinely in this forum. I think there is one that includes he would not come or we could not/would not pay him. There is one that suggests that the U would not have him based on his blood connection to a coach who left in scandal nearly 50 years ago. And now a third that suggests that his style of reassembling rosters almost from the ground up just about every year isn't a great strategy. Needing to choose one, I take the third option. However, if we have an opening and he wants to come, I am all in for the zip he brings immediately to a program that desperately needs some.

Full disclosure, I have no idea what is going on at Arkansas right now, other than they are on multiple lists of under performing teams.

Would you play him if you believed him?
That is a very good question. I wouldn't allow him to play until the process has played out (and I suspect that Minnesota and a lot of other institutions would have done as well). It wasn't just an accusation out of nowhere, it resulted in a criminal investigation that both law enforcement and prosecutors believed had enough merit to move forward with. That lifts it to another level. Given specific evidence to the contrary, I am trusting the police that they have enough data to prosecute. Contrary to what some people believe, they don't press charges on every complaint that comes their way, and for good reason. In complete disclosure I know virtually no details of what happened (I have heard a few Illinois people suggest facts in the case merit the decision that Illinois made), but the people who are supposed to know what they are doing are bringing charges on a very serious crime. That's enough to warrant a suspension to me.

In retrospect, that might have been the absolute worst--if not the worst possible--time to part ways with Richard. Especially with the whole "eyes of the world are on Minnesota at this moment in history to carry everyone's water on social justice and equity and singlehandedly absolve and redeem the rest of the world by symbolically making a horrendous hire" bullshit.

For the lurkers like me who hop on here for a laugh every once in awhile, we have people wishing we would have hung onto a coach with a .360 winning percentage in the conference that finished his 8th season in charge 6-14. A conference that year that had just one team make it to the second weekend of the tournament. These people longing for the days of inefficient shooting, 20-30 point blowouts and running the team’s guards into the ground to the point they’d be running on E down the stretch and into March (which he’s still doing at New Mexico). With checks notes, Treyton Thompson committed who’s now coming off the bench for the mighty Stetson Hatters and Kenny Pohto who’s an inefficient post for a mediocre Wichita State team.

Johnson will likely pass Pitino’s year 8 conference record in year 3 leaning heavily into a group of underclassmen. Pretty much everyone of real value on this team will be returning and they’ll add a top 10 high school guard to the mix. A team with an assist/turnover rate comparable to Purdue, no, take me back to the days of hero ball. Something is off about a coach that doesn’t have multiple players that have had run ins with the police and post explicit videos on social media.

A first time head coach particularly starting at this level with the cupboard as bare as it was would naturally have growing pains but in year 3 has a team that is showing promise. How many fan bases would be so desperate to run an alum off in that position? How much of the angst is about basketball and how much of it is political conspiracies that have absorbed some posters lives?

In retrospect, that might have been the absolute worst--if not the worst possible--time to part ways with Richard. Especially with the whole "eyes of the world are on Minnesota at this moment in history to carry everyone's water on social justice and equity and singlehandedly absolve and redeem the rest of the world by symbolically making a horrendous hire" bullshit.
The eyes of the world don't give a $%^ about Gopher basketball and never did. But someone may have convinced themselves of that.

FWIW - this story is being kicked around on some Arkansas media outlets and fan sites. some chatter that Muss may not be happy with aspects of his contract.

having said that - even if the OP is accurate and Musselman is looking at options - the question is whether Coyle would be willing to fire Johnson to bring in Musselman, especially when Muss would probably want a much bigger salary than Johnson is receiving. Muss is currently making roughly $4.2-mill at Arkansas.

people act like Musselman is "one of us" because he was 7-to-10 years old when his Dad coached the Gophers - and later on he was an assistant coach under his dad with the T-Wolves for one season. he's 59 years old and spent 5 years of his life in MN.

There are multiple narratives that cross each other routinely in this forum. I think there is one that includes he would not come or we could not/would not pay him. There is one that suggests that the U would not have him based on his blood connection to a coach who left in scandal nearly 50 years ago. And now a third that suggests that his style of reassembling rosters almost from the ground up just about every year isn't a great strategy. Needing to choose one, I take the third option. However, if we have an opening and he wants to come, I am all in for the zip he brings immediately to a program that desperately needs some.

Full disclosure, I have no idea what is going on at Arkansas right now, other than they are on multiple lists of under performing teams.
As expensive has he would be, he's the only person we could hire who I think would instantly double attendance from 4K to 8K per game next year. That alone would pay the increase in salary. I don't give a $%%^ about the scandal from 50 years ago. It all seems quaint now.

Bringing him in might fail spectacularly or it might work great. But the patient is almost dead, so there's not much harm in trying.

I would like to reply to this, but I don’t know that I can stoop that low? But iI will say that the ulterior motive boogeyman does not lurk behind every decision!

Last edited:

As expensive has he would be, he's the only person we could hire who I think would instantly double attendance from 4K to 8K per game next year. That alone would pay the increase in salary. I don't give a $%%^ about the scandal from 50 years ago. It all seems quaint now.

Bringing him in might fail spectacularly or it might work great. But the patient is almost dead, so there's not much harm in trying.

I don't think a new coach - no matter what his name is - makes much of an impact on attendance.

MN fans think the product being offered is not worth the cost of tickets and seat donations. Yes, winning more will help some - but it doesn't change the cost of attending a game (including parking, etc). to really make a difference in attendance without changing ticket prices, a new coach would have to come in and win big. and by big, I mean contending for a conference title, contending in the conference tournament, and making an NCAA tournament run.

maybe Musselman is a good enough coach to pull that off at MN. but it's not going to happen overnight unless Muss brings along enough NIL to buy himself a new roster.

It seems like the narrative on Musselman has shifted from "he'd never come here" to "we don't want him/the U will never approve him"
Only losers would support this narrative. If he truly wants to come here after us not even giving him a sniff last time, you are stupid not to do it. If Ben makes the tourney, keep him, if not, let's get Musslemen in here and start to win big again.

Experimental techniques are justified. You and most people could care less about face value tickets and skipping class fifty years ago, but I guarantee you there are plenty of people at the U and with influence there who do. That matters.

I don't think a new coach - no matter what his name is - makes much of an impact on attendance.

MN fans think the product being offered is not worth the cost of tickets and seat donations. Yes, winning more will help some - but it doesn't change the cost of attending a game (including parking, etc). to really make a difference in attendance without changing ticket prices, a new coach would have to come in and win big. and by big, I mean contending for a conference title, contending in the conference tournament, and making an NCAA tournament run.

maybe Musselman is a good enough coach to pull that off at MN. but it's not going to happen overnight unless Muss brings along enough NIL to buy himself a new roster.
Being in a spot where they are in the top 1/3 of the conference in back to back years fills the Barn all the way up to capacity. A sweet sixteen run mixed in there and they can ask whatever they like for tickets.
We have flat out NOT WON here since Clem. 1-2 years of it and that place is bursting at the seams. Book it.

I'm not predicting instant sellouts. Even 8K is sad compared to where it was 10 years ago. But it has basically bottomed out. Giving season ticket holders a reason to renew/come back and then actually show up is what brings to the table. Of course he eventually has to win, but I think it would have a pretty big impact right away. Keep in mind the average age of the season ticket base. They remember the Musselman years fondly.

Being in a spot where they are in the top 1/3 of the conference in back to back years fills the Barn all the way up to capacity.
We have flat out NOT WON here since Clem. 1-2 years of it and that place is bursting at the seams. Book it.
Maybe but I’m not so sure. Lots of sports options. Kids are not as interested. Schedule challenges for in person attendees. And mostly easy TV options make the anticipated jump not quite as automatic for me.

I buy that he may want out of Arkansas. He wins but I can see that he might wear out his welcome after 5-7 years. I don't care, I'd take that.

I'd take it too, I just don't believe Minnesota will be the best job he'll be able to take if he wants out of Arkansas, nor do I believe the U will hire him unless whoever the new president is actually wants to win at major sports, unlike the last several decades of U presidents.

For the lurkers like me who hop on here for a laugh every once in awhile, we have people wishing we would have hung onto a coach with a .360 winning percentage in the conference that finished his 8th season in charge 6-14. A conference that year that had just one team make it to the second weekend of the tournament. These people longing for the days of inefficient shooting, 20-30 point blowouts and running the team’s guards into the ground to the point they’d be running on E down the stretch and into March (which he’s still doing at New Mexico). With checks notes, Treyton Thompson committed who’s now coming off the bench for the mighty Stetson Hatters and Kenny Pohto who’s an inefficient post for a mediocre Wichita State team.

Johnson will likely pass Pitino’s year 8 conference record in year 3 leaning heavily into a group of underclassmen. Pretty much everyone of real value on this team will be returning and they’ll add a top 10 high school guard to the mix. A team with an assist/turnover rate comparable to Purdue, no, take me back to the days of hero ball. Something is off about a coach that doesn’t have multiple players that have had run ins with the police and post explicit videos on social media.

A first time head coach particularly starting at this level with the cupboard as bare as it was would naturally have growing pains but in year 3 has a team that is showing promise. How many fan bases would be so desperate to run an alum off in that position? How much of the angst is about basketball and how much of it is political conspiracies that have absorbed some posters lives?
Almost every single one of them. If any Big 10 team hired someone with zero HC experience and then that person went on to go 6-33 in their first two seasons, there would be huge portions of every single fan base that would want to drive that alum off.

As far as your second point that is essentially saying people don't like Ben Johnson because of some sort of political conspiracy, grow up. If you've ever lurked at the politics board, some of Ben's biggest critics are very liberal. Some of Ben's biggest supporters are conservative. Most of the people who want/wanted Ben canned, also wanted Pitino fired.

The thing I've seen, way more often from the CBJ "haters", is that they are pissed we didn't fire Pitino a year earlier so that we could have gotten Muss or Dutcher.

The thing I've seen, way more often from the CBJ "haters", is that they are pissed we didn't fire Pitino a year earlier so that we could have gotten Muss or Dutcher.
Pitino was never getting fired in March of 2020. Almost no one was. 2019 is what killed us. Could have gotten Musselman but won just enough games to squeak into the tournament. Fun at the time. Very costly in the long run.

First off: Why would there be compliance issues for Eric Musselman?

I don’t see any NCAA infractions or violations on his record anywhere. Are we punishing him for what his Dad did when he was ten years old. I mean come on, WE HIRED RICK PITINO’s SON! Who worked for his dad when they were hiring strippers to impress recruits.

2nd: He’s done nothing but win everywhere he has been.

I’ll take that over what we have had the last couple years anytime!

But don’t listen to me, I wanted them to fire the coach and hire Bobby Knight the day after Indiana fired him.

FWIW - this story is being kicked around on some Arkansas media outlets and fan sites. some chatter that Muss may not be happy with aspects of his contract.

having said that - even if the OP is accurate and Musselman is looking at options - the question is whether Coyle would be willing to fire Johnson to bring in Musselman, especially when Muss would probably want a much bigger salary than Johnson is receiving. Muss is currently making roughly $4.2-mill at Arkansas.

people act like Musselman is "one of us" because he was 7-to-10 years old when his Dad coached the Gophers - and later on he was an assistant coach under his dad with the T-Wolves for one season. he's 59 years old and spent 5 years of his life in MN.
I don't get the sense that many people think of Muss as "one of us." However, many of us are hoping there's enough of a loose connection that he's the rare established coach who might actually consider coming here at a price we could (or would) pay. I doubt it, but we can hope.

The more I've thought about it the more I think it was a bad time to part with Richard just based on the changes with the transfer portal.

He was pretty good at using a mix of transfers/high school players here, the transfers just had to sit out. If you look at his New Mexico roster, it's a good mix of high school players and transfers.
Really like JT Toppin the freshman he picked up out of Dallas.

If you've ever lurked at the politics board, some of Ben's biggest critics are very liberal. Some of Ben's biggest supporters are conservative. Most of the people who want/wanted Ben canned, also wanted Pitino fired.

Very liberal or very partisan? Those two terms frequently don't mean the same thing. I do agree that there is a mix of political persuasions among the supporters and opponents.

Top Bottom