Coaching Changes says source they trust: Muss already sending 3rd party inquiries to Minnesota and ASU as well as several less realistic spots

Even in a bad year, Muss was about to beat Mizzou handily....

Meh. I’d rather start over with Smith and build it up the right way. But I am not an ardent follower of college bball.

I know the thought of another start over feels unbearable to some bball fans/boosters, at this point.

You're a stooge for saying people, "don't have the balls" to answer a question that there is no answer for. The AD will fire Ben when he sees fit, but they knew what they were getting into and you have to let him develop players for at least until junior year, imo. I think it's more an eye test for the people in charge than a number to hit.

And they're playing better, albeit inconsistent, and he's recruiting good players. Why are we so worried about something out of our control when we should be sending positive energy towards the team?

If you dont have an opinion why are you even posting about it?

Fine if you were the AD what would your answer be?

Meh. I’d rather start over with Smith and build it up the right way. But I am not an ardent follower of college bball.

I know the thought of another start over feels unbearable to some bball fans/boosters, at this point.

I think "starting over" with certain coaches would have the program ahead of where it is now

I still don't understand the obsessing over the first 2 years. The expectation of instant winning from a first-time young coach who inherited a dumpster-fire. It makes no sense whatsoever to me.

We need a complete team. We need Ben's first recruits to become juniors. That's when good transfers might complete a team.

But this notion that the transfer portal should mean instant winning in years 1 & 2...even when inheriting an empty roster...is absurd to me.
Because part of evaluating is seeing how the team/coach progresses. The first two years are graded on a curve but you can't just ignore them because it is convenient for your argument. Plenty of coaches suck early on but you can't know if a coach improved without seeing where he came from.

The judgement isn't just because of 1 and 2, it is how things go beyond that. If he has a Clem like run then everyone will forget the first couple seasons and praise Ben as they should. If he bottoms out they will be part of the reason he is fired. That isn't obsession that is just how data works.

The entire body of work matters.

Put it this way, lets say we crash and burn the rest of the way. (for the record I have no belief they will) Well now we have 3 years of results to make a complete judgement on. If he is fired it won't be because year 1 and 2 were so bad it will be because he got no better than that in year 3. Just like people's minds changed about Clem in your scenario because of how improved the team was in year 3. Year 3 and 4 for Clem showed year 1 and 2 were the rebuild. He built equity.

Ben can still do that by finishing strong this year. The key (for me and I think a lot of others) is when the season is over will we feel the team took a tangible step forward. How will we know that if we don't look at where he started though?

It seems like the narrative on Musselman has shifted from "he'd never come here" to "we don't want him/the U will never approve him"
We want him.
Even if the team goes 9-11 or 10-10 this year, if you have a chance to get musselman you would be stupid to not jump into the window.
Window may not be there next year.

He's become an above-average coach. Unfortunately we were his starter home. I can relate. Everything I learned about what not to do with a house I'm applying to the new home we built eight years ago, and it fucking rocks.
Pitino had to go from Mn

That didn’t mean he was horrible. It means it was time to move on for both parties.
Hopefully both parties involved are better off in 2027 than they were in 2021

Ben guaranteed MN wouldnt finish last. It kinda sounds like Ben didn’t know what he was in for. Just sayin…
Do you happen to have that exact quote? I vaguely remember him saying something along those line but I'm trying to remember the circumstances and context and just can't find the quote to confirm. Was this before or after the Fox and Ihnen injuries?

Do you happen to have that exact quote? I vaguely remember him saying something along those line but I'm trying to remember the circumstances and context and just can't find the quote to confirm. Was this before or after the Fox and Ihnen injuries?
Opening presser when he was introduced as head coach.

I don’t think COYLE will fire Johnson after this season, unless the bottom falls out, because it would reflect badly on him. Hopefully the rest of the season is solid and he won’t have a reason to fire him. He already made a mistake on hiring Whalen, so firing BJ would be a second BIG mistake, likely ending his AD career here. So I think Johnson will get one more season, where he will have all his own players.

I don’t think COYLE will fire Johnson after this season, unless the bottom falls out, because it would reflect badly on him. Hopefully the rest of the season is solid and he won’t have a reason to fire him. He already made a mistake on hiring Whalen, so firing BJ would be a second BIG mistake, likely ending his AD career here. So I think Johnson will get one more season, where he will have all his own players.
I hope they win em all the rest of the way but Ben has always had his own players. It is the single constant.

The people who matter know it wasn't Mark's call to hire Ben. He won't get fired for fixing a mistake.

The people who matter know it wasn't Mark's call to hire Ben. He won't get fired for fixing a mistake.
Once a new president is selected he/she may elect to move on from Mark and Ben and start over with their own picks

The President should not be hiring coaches. That's what got us in this mess.
The President can hire the AD however and may want their own person in that role. It isn’t as if Coyle’s record as a AD is so stellar than a new president would feel compelled to retain him.

Once a new president is selected he/she may elect to move on from Mark and Ben and start over with their own picks

When you're thinking about the higher-level university administrators (presidents, provosts, vice-presidents, chancellors, etc.), here's a handy rule of thumb to keep in mind: they are not likely to share your background, they are not likely to think like you, and they are not likely to share your top priorities.

I listened to Ben from the moment he was introduced at the 18 minute mark until he left around 41 minute. This was not when he mentioned anything about not coming in last. Any other ideas?

Intro News Conference
Hmmm I was pretty confident that's when the guarantee was made, but I have not rewatched since it was live. @Spaulding!No! can you confirm?

The President can hire the AD however and may want their own person in that role. It isn’t as if Coyle’s record as a AD is so stellar than a new president would feel compelled to retain him.
I doubt firing Coyle is on the top of their to do list.

So much for that. You're free to fire Ben, Mark!

Top Bottom