BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

No surprise. Waiting for Dakota2’s take on it
Dakota's take is it is devastating. For next year's team and beyond. For building through recruits, for immediate recruiting, and for discouraging some current players from staying.

Our only chance for recovery is through the portal, something Johnson was not planning to do. This blow only makes Minnesota an even less attractive destination for quality transfers than before.

So, for Ben, the job is now to dramatically upgrade the team through three good portal players -- two guards and a center to spell Payne. We have scholarships from Samuels, Evans, Ramberg, and Thompson to use.

The odds of this coming together are close to zero. And, the odds of finding a coach strong enough to bring in real talent necessary to turn it around, and more importantly, willing to take this job are closer to zero.

He committed.
Now, he wants to renege on his contract. Do that in life and there is either no out or a large fine. His parents are not teaching him any lessen here, except that your word means nothing.
Or they are teaching him to evaluate the best deal. If you accepted a job offer, then realized the company was shit, the pay was bad, and the long term prospects were poor…and another company offered you: better pay, better 401k match, better culture, wfh options, career advancement avenues…who wouldn’t tell company A to take a hike. Evaluating what is best for him is literally the most important thing he can learn.

Last edited:

On #1. What is the floor for season tickets? We're about to find out. A decent hire keeps the current 9K and maybe adds a couple. Doing nothing and we're at 7k? 5K? Lower? Being conservative, they will make at least $2 million more next year on season ticket sales if they make a move. Possibly double or triple that.

On #2. Ben is certainly a good guy and respected. But is anyone going to feel 5-35 after two years was unfair to move on from?
If only the two possible scenarios were doing nothing and a decent hire. There is a third, most likely, possibility.

There is no decent hire who will take the Minnesota job.

That makes the choices doing nothing or rolling the dice again on an unproven coach.

If only the two possible scenarios were doing nothing and a decent hire. There is a third, most likely, possibility.

That makes the choices doing nothing or rolling the dice again on an unproven coach.
Craig Smith was a decent hire. He would have taken the job.

I’d take roll the dice compared to CBJ. He’s proven to be a dud. Roll of the dice is 50/50 still.

247 has a crystal ball for ..........get ready to puke!

Lousiville!

Gawd!!!!!

247 has a crystal ball for ..........get ready to puke!

Lousiville!

Gawd!!!!!
If they happens give them credit. They are AWFUL this year, their coach, admin, boosters etc said enough of that and ponied up.

Quit buying into the story from MennoSota, he went all in on CBJ and got roasted. Instead of admitting he's clueless, he blames a kid for making a decision every logical person would make.

If they happens give them credit. They are AWFUL this year, their coach, admin, boosters etc said enough of that and ponied up.

Quit buying into the story from MennoSota, he went all in on CBJ and got roasted. Instead of admitting he's clueless, he blames a kid for making a decision every logical person would make.
Who is Mennosota, and what story am I buying into?

In fact, who the hell are you?

it's really becoming a catch-22. in today's world, you need NIL to land top recruits. but if a program is struggling, how does it attract the $$ for a competitive NIL option?

shoot - the Gophers just don't have the kind of boosters or fat-cats needed in this climate. If they did, then the buyout would not be an issue. at a lot of programs, if they needed $8-million to buy out a coach, you could get it with a couple of phone calls. But at MN, we don't go in for that sort of stuff. we would rather be honorable......and poor......
Evans didn't back out because of NIL money. He could have gone that route earlier and signed somewhere else.

The fact he will get good NIL money from his next school isn't important. What matters is a 17-year-old top national prospect figured out he has limited future in this basketball program.

Or they are teaching him to evaluate the best deal. If you accepted a job offer, then realized the company was shit, the pay was bad, and the long term prospects were poor…and another company offered you: better pay, better 401k match, better culture, wfh options, career advancement avenues…who wouldn’t tell company A to take a hike. Evaluating what is best for him is literally the most important thing he can learn.
This is as good a statement as I've seen here. Spot on WBG.

How do you be aggressive in the portal when you can just be out bid for the players by a college with a larger NIL? Whether you are recruiting in the portal or high school kids you need the NIL funds to land the players unless you are a blue blood.
You get outbid for average players in the portal. Reall good players are in the portal to find a great team to be part of and the tournament experience. What they get paid is a bonus but not the driving force in transferring.

You get outbid for average players in the portal. Reall good players are in the portal to find a great team to be part of and the tournament experience. What they get paid is a bonus but not the driving force in transferring.
Yes it’s gonna be really tough to win in the wild Wild West that is the NCAA.

Yes it’s gonna be really tough to win in the wild Wild West that is the NCAA.

In all fairness, how would we really know?

The UofM hired a coach that was in way, WAY over his head in terms of both recruiting and coaching. How do we know how tough it could/would be to win if they actually made a competent qualified hire?

It's happening other places, to varying degrees. Certainly not impossible in MSP

Who is Mennosota, and what story am I buying into?

In fact, who the hell are you?
Mennosota is a poster who seems to complain a lot about the modern state of college sports.

Mennosota lives in a bygone era. Those of us who live in reality understand that big money means big time programs. And as of right now, we don't have big time money here to pay guys.

Football seems to be doing a little better, although we lost Bucky to Oregon last year because he was allegedly offered $500k in NIL. Hockey is less an issue because there are so few college hockey programs, and the NHL drafts kids out of high school or juniors.

But hoops - I don't know what to say. The average age of the hardcore fan base is about 75 years old, and unlike football, they haven't been able to replace that.

This is oversimplified. There is a heck of alot more to coaching than what you say.

If there wasn't, then Ben would be doing better than he is. As it were, he has been decent at best and terrible at worst.
There is a reason the same teams are good year in and year out in college sports. It is more coaching than anything. Mix that with high end talent when you prove that you are a good coach and you have your successful programs.
Most are not successful by mixing good coaching with high end talent.

They are successful by mixing high end talent with good coaching.

I'm mainly just saying that coaching is a LOT more than just running practices during the year.

Which you clearly are saying the same thing.

Roster compilation, scheme/identity, in-game decisions, clearly these things are more important that how you run a practice.
And all of those are less important than the talent on hand.

Did you sign a contract to work at that company?

Mennosota is a poster who seems to complain a lot about the modern state of college sports.

Mennosota lives in a bygone era. Those of us who live in reality understand that big money means big time programs. And as of right now, we don't have big time money here to pay guys.

Football seems to be doing a little better, although we lost Bucky to Oregon last year because he was allegedly offered $500k in NIL. Hockey is less an issue because there are so few college hockey programs, and the NHL drafts kids out of high school or juniors.

But hoops - I don't know what to say. The average age of the hardcore fan base is about 75 years old, and unlike football, they haven't been able to replace that.
You will need to stop being a Gopher fan if you want to buy your basketball players. Maybe cheer for Miami or go strictly NBA.

That simply isn't true, unless winning B1G titles is your standard for decent.

This is still a Big Ten job. One of 75 in the Power 6. In a state that produces decent talent. There are a dozen decent hires that can do better than this. And better than Pitino. And even the ones that aren't sure things can't possibly do any worse.

Unfortunately it’s been 25 years since the Barn’s been rocking. I had season tickets since 1988, the years Clem was there, it was the best place to be during the Big 10 season. Monson’s years were tough except when Vincent Greer was there. I was excited when Tubby was hired but within 4 years, his lack of interest was evident and he had sucked what little life was left out of the Barn. Gave up our tickets after 2013, but still live and die Gopher Basketball. I spend 8 months of the year in Tucson now and enjoy Arizona Wildcat basketball but not as much as a good Gopher season. This season has been the worst I can remember. I’m not sure I can invest my time anymore.
@Duker I’ll be at the UA/ASU game tomorrow, let me know if you’ll be there and I’ll stop by and meet you and we can talk Gopher hoops!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom