Bowl Game Thread, 2020

Yes. On the other hand...who's our next game against? :oops:

I've heard from a very reliable source that Ohio State is losing all of their good players in one way or another.

Will we be able to tell our grandchildren that we watched the Gophers take down the mighty Buckeyes (in person) in 2021?

Just going on the information given. I heard what Day said...not team.
I heard what was reported that he was not x-rayed at halftime.
Not making anything up.
I apologize in that I thought you were referencing Day's pre halftime comments. I must have missed Taylor reporting that he supposedly didn't get one at half time. Busy at work this evening. Apologies again for the confusion on my part

Big Ten showing up in bowl season. I hope Indiana beats the snot out of (4-5!) Ole Miss tomorrow to further prove how underrated they have been all season long. It's criminal that 3 loss North Carolina and 3 loss Iowa State passed them up for NY6 and Indiana has to play a losing team in a bowl game.

As we saw earlier in this thread, Indiana has renounced its Big 10 membership so they no longer count as a member of the conference.

Know it should be about the players , the games but is sad for me to see the Rose Bowl indoors. No San Gabriel mountains, no USC song girls performing Tusk.
It should not have been allowed to be called the "Rose Bowl". I would've voted it down, if I was on the TOR or City of Pasedena boards. They got paid off by dickhead Jerry.

The Rose Bowl wasn't played yesterday. That was the "CFP Semi-Final". The Rose Bowl is only ever played in the actual Rose Bowl.

Huh? How does it give us hope? Maybe to Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan, etc. that can recruit and/or are already great at playing that style. Minnesota hardly uses the TEs other than blocking and outside of Ibrahim, what Gopher RB looks like they could be good when he leaves? Seeing Ohio State dominate only makes me feel like we are a lot farther away from being good when we have them and several other great teams to get past, including many we play every year, and cannot even beat now/when they are down players.

I saw an awful Northwestern team from last season just win the B1G west, and play Ohio St tougher than Clemson did this season.

Not sure someone else would have been able to give Alabama a better fight but not surprised at all to see Notre Dame getting their butt kicked. After the game against Clemson they didn't deserve another shot to get destroyed by a top team. That honor should have gone to someone else.

Should have just given Bama a bye week.
Oklahoma would've given Alabama a good game, with the way they were playing at the end of the year. If not for the K-State loss, I think they would've had a decent shot of getting in. But TV viewer$hip is tough to beat with Notre Dame.

Here is Notre Dame's pathetic record in post-season games that matter since 2000: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...re-dame-fighting-irish-loss-vows-breakthrough

YearOpponentLost By
2020Alabama17
2018Clemson27
2015Ohio State16
2012Alabama28
2006LSU27
2005Ohio State14
2000Oregon State32

I saw an awful Northwestern team from last season just win the B1G west, and play Ohio St tougher than Clemson did this season.
They s__t the bed against Michigan State. Just an awful loss. If not for that, who knows, maybe they would've been in the CFP conversation as well, with their only loss to Ohio State in the champ game.

I feel like a lot of people are on the Alabama bandwagon since they started getting good that either don’t live or have connections to the state/school and only due to they win. I have a friend from NJ that basically has done this with each league and so of course he’s on the Packer bandwagon.

I really wish some of these schools would back to being more normal once the coach leaves, but teams like Ohio State prove that coaching can be pretty easy with history and never ending line of 4 and 5 star pipeline that lasts for generations.
That's why I like the NFL. The worst teams get to have the best prospects in the draft.

There should be a P5 draft for the top ___ ranked recruits. Might make more total people care about the sport, instead of being the same three to five programs that win every year.

And they will not come out of it unless the present admin. decides sports are important and hire Urban who now lives in LA. USC has strong talent but helton is inept. Their boosters are ready at 10 million per year.
Would be nice to see the PAC actually matter in major college football, again.

It really is. Especially now that the ACC has been exposed as a fraud conference this year.

In the New Year's Six----ACC with three teams and SEC with four.

Give me a fu**ing break.
The ACC is weak, other than Clemson. Hence why Clemson gets a "free ride" every year.

Notre Dame beat no one this year, except a fake, cheat code win over covid-Clemson.

There should be a P5 draft for the top ___ ranked recruits. Might make more total people care about the sport, instead of being the same three to five programs that win every year.
Ya don't let kids choose the college they attend. That'll work

I like 49-21 Ohio St but I have a problem with Coach Day. At halftime he said: “Fields is tough, he knows he has to play 30 more minutes.” So, the staff ignored the opportunity for an ex-ray on Fields. His future is the NFL. Day’s future and concern is personally winning. He’s putting this guy’s life in jeopardy not knowing the injury. What if his rib punctures and endangers his life. Don’t agree with how this was handled.
Again happy Ohio St is kicking em but...
I agree. No excuse for not taking X-rays. It sure seems like Coach Day's primary interest is in winning football games and not in the health of his star player - “Fields is tough, he knows he has to play 30 more minutes.” But then, he seemed to show that as at the start of the season with his SEC type response to the pandemic.

It would be amazing if he didn't break a few ribs in that hit and they will not be able to hide that all week. I sure hope Fields is OK, because I want them to crush Ala.

Ya don't let kids choose the college they attend. That'll work
They can choose to attend any college they want. It's called "go be a regular student".

Playing major college football is not a right. If you volunteer to participate in that system, then you abide by the rules of that system. Seems perfectly fair to me.

Projections this morning that Alabama will be favored by 7 (!). If I were a sports gambler I'd be all over that. I think OSU will win outright.

Projections this morning that Alabama will be favored by 7 (!). If I were a sports gambler I'd be all over that. I think OSU will win outright.
Lines are not designed to pick a winner, they're designed to make the most profit off what people think will happen.

The ACC is weak, other than Clemson. Hence why Clemson gets a "free ride" every year.

Notre Dame beat no one this year, except a fake, cheat code win over covid-Clemson.
Pretty damn weak for sure although look like UNC is on the rise. Someone will fix FSU. The Pac will get a huge boost if Urban takes the USC job. Would love it if there were 20 power programs but through 7 decades plus of watching there never has been. Those that have posted on the board about a 8 or 16 team playoff are right that it gives a team that is clearly not as great as a top 2 team to fight their way to that game and see who else gets there. Look at those true powers, they jam pack 80-100,000 fans, they seem like for the most part to be college towns. The Big 10 is very well equipped except in recruiting where only Ohio State competes with the southern schools. So different than hoops where you can become elite with a great coach and a few players. In football you need more of everything.

That's the end all, be all for why major college football can never be as compelling as the NFL: the top 5-10 schools always get at least 90% of the highest-end recruits, that you need to be nationally competitive, whereas in the NFL the draft gives the best prospects to the worst teams.

Until and if that is fixed in CFB, that gap will always be there.

I think Indiana gets thumped today.
Don’t think they’re that good

That's the end all, be all for why major college football can never be as compelling as the NFL: the top 5-10 schools always get at least 90% of the highest-end recruits, that you need to be nationally competitive, whereas in the NFL the draft gives the best prospects to the worst teams.

Until and if that is fixed in CFB, that gap will always be there.
I understand where you are coming from, but there is no legal way to set up a draft of top prospects in college, even if athletes are allowed to get paid eventually. The fact is a couple of prospects in the top 50 and obviously a number in the top 300 do not go pro. Now imagine you were forced to earn your college degree from let’s say Arizona State when you could have earned it from Stanford or Northwestern. Additionally, there are also a number of schools that offer a specific program they may be interested in like the Carlson School of Management for example. Again, I understand the frustration with the lack of parity in the NCAA, but a draft of top prospects would not be a realistic fix in my opinion.

I agree. No excuse for not taking X-rays. It sure seems like Coach Day's primary interest is in winning football games and not in the health of his star player - “Fields is tough, he knows he has to play 30 more minutes.” But then, he seemed to show that as at the start of the season with his SEC type response to the “scamdemic”!

It would be amazing if he didn't break a few ribs in that hit and they will not be able to hide that all week. I sure hope Fields is OK, because I want them to crush Ala.

Fixed for you in bold

I understand where you are coming from, but there is no legal way to set up a draft of top prospects in college, even if athletes are allowed to get paid eventually. The fact is a couple of prospects in the top 50 and obviously a number in the top 300 do not go pro. Now imagine you were forced to earn your college degree from let’s say Arizona State when you could have earned it from Stanford or Northwestern. Additionally, there are also a number of schools that offer a specific program they may be interested in like the Carlson School of Management for example. Again, I understand the frustration with the lack of parity in the NCAA, but a draft of top prospects would not be a realistic fix in my opinion.
The way to get more parity amongst the top draft picks is to guarantee exposure for more schools.

the way to do that is open up the playoff to more teams.

12-16 team playoff with auto bids for any conference champion that is in the top 25 of a standardized system (like the BCS rankings or something).

I think a lot of the problems you cite, while legitimate, could easily be side-stepped by making it very clear, very loudly, that entering the draft is voluntary.

But it would be required, if you wished to directly enter a P5 program on scholarship. Perhaps there could be other side avenues, like transferring in from a JUCO or a G5 or whatever.

If you're smart enough to go to Stanford or NW, you will easily be accepted there for a graduate degree after you've finished with your undergrad and football.

I think a lot of the problems you cite, while legitimate, could easily be side-stepped by making it very clear, very loudly, that entering the draft is voluntary.

But it would be required, if you wished to directly enter a P5 program on scholarship. Perhaps there could be other side avenues, like transferring in from a JUCO or a G5 or whatever.
Dude this idea is ridiculous let it go

Top Bottom