Bowl Game Thread, 2020

Kentucky seems like they have fun. Good for them

I remember when Jeff Horton took over and we beat Iowa.

He said he just wanted the team to have fun again, and what do you know they played well and beat Iowa.

I think for teams that are struggling or historically often ... dormats ... you gotta make sure folks are having fun.

Stoops knows football. To win 10 games at UK , IN THAT CONFERENCE IS A INCREDIBLE JOB.
The SEC East, is not the West. Florida and Georgia both overrated. Tennessee is the Nebraska of the SEC.

Yes to it all. Alabama has 20 NFL players on the roster ! Several high impact types.
I saw a stat that AL has had 17 five star recruits to ND's 2 from 17'-20'. I'm sure one of the gurus of data can check out those #'s here on GH but the talent/ recruit differences between the two are huge.

I saw a stat that AL has had 17 five star recruits to ND's 2 from 17'-20'. I'm sure one of the gurus of data can check out those #'s here on GH but the talent/ recruit differences between the two are huge.
And Saban just finished off what the recruitniks are calling his best class ever. Now he can go out abd hire the best offensive coordinator for 2.5. That is what Sark was paid.

Would love to see a game between NW and ISU for best of the "western Midwest"

NC has played pretty well considering how many weapons on offense aren’t playing tonight.

I think a lot of the problems you cite, while legitimate, could easily be side-stepped by making it very clear, very loudly, that entering the draft is voluntary.

But it would be required, if you wished to directly enter a P5 program on scholarship. Perhaps there could be other side avenues, like transferring in from a JUCO or a G5 or whatever.

If you're smart enough to go to Stanford or NW, you will easily be accepted there for a graduate degree after you've finished with your undergrad and football.
This is quite possibly the dumbest idea ever.
Here’s a few reasons why

A 5 Star Kid has dreamed of playing for (insert team here) but gets drafted by a different team would simply go the juco/ G5 route for a year then transfer to his team of choice.
You’d also have many more kids ending up in spots that aren’t the right fit for them. Then what? Can they transfer and if so does team losing get an extra pick the next year? Players pick places for the coaches, the school, the academics, the girls, and other reasons. That can not change.
if you want the talent to disperse more then there needs to be a bigger playoff field. Get at least all conference champions in the mix and kids will see they have more opportunities for success. Sure there will be blow outs in some early round games, but o bet there would be upsets too. It might even take a few years before you’d start to see a shift, but to limit the playoff to only 4 teams is going to keep the concentration of star athletes to the same small number of schools.

This is quite possibly the dumbest idea ever.
Here’s a few reasons why

A 5 Star Kid has dreamed of playing for (insert team here) but gets drafted by a different team would simply go the juco/ G5 route for a year then transfer to his team of choice.
You’d also have many more kids ending up in spots that aren’t the right fit for them. Then what? Can they transfer and if so does team losing get an extra pick the next year? Players pick places for the coaches, the school, the academics, the girls, and other reasons. That can not change.
if you want the talent to disperse more then there needs to be a bigger playoff field. Get at least all conference champions in the mix and kids will see they have more opportunities for success. Sure there will be blow outs in some early round games, but o bet there would be upsets too. It might even take a few years before you’d start to see a shift, but to limit the playoff to only 4 teams is going to keep the concentration of star athletes to the same small number of schools.
Great post but i think star players will like star brands . Texas made their plat today to get back in the fray. USC should but probably will not. Those Brands have so many advantages, awesome recruiting base, money, facilities. The sport would be helped by having 8-16 teams involved. The other way is to close the gap in coaching. So hard in football, you need so many great players. The margins in basketball are smaller. Ohio State and Alabama will be playing with rosters that contain10-15 1st rounders through their combined rosters. Your talking 40-50 NFL guys. On a big field that speed becomes a problem and it is not like they are lacking for power up front. Do think a larger tourney in football has a larger probabiltiy for someone to move up and besides that it would provide more hope and excitement for fans.

Bummed UNC couldn't pull that one out. They're a fun team and a fun story. Love Mack and his OC Phil Longo. Their QB can really spin it too. I was just casually watching, but I saw a bunch of drops from the UNC receivers

Bummed UNC couldn't pull that one out. They're a fun team and a fun story. Love Mack and his OC Phil Longo. Their QB can really spin it too. I was just casually watching, but I saw a bunch of drops from the UNC receivers
Same here. No idea why, but I've turned into not liking A&M after liking/tolerating them a little over the years. Maybe its Jimbo I don't like, or the fact they decided to go to the SEC. I don't know. Maybe I'll just have another beer.

DIdn't watch the IU game. Did the announcers mention 25+ times that IU was disappointed to be in the Outback Bowl and therefore unmotivated...and vice versa for Ole Miss? Or was it simply the overwhelming SEC athleticism that led to the demise of the Hoosiers?

I agree. No excuse for not taking X-rays. It sure seems like Coach Day's primary interest is in winning football games and not in the health of his star player - “Fields is tough, he knows he has to play 30 more minutes.” But then, he seemed to show that as at the start of the season with his SEC type response to the pandemic.

It would be amazing if he didn't break a few ribs in that hit and they will not be able to hide that all week. I sure hope Fields is OK, because I want them to crush Ala.
<iframe src='' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='412'></iframe><p> <a href="">via Gfycat</a></p>

DIdn't watch the IU game. Did the announcers mention 25+ times that IU was disappointed to be in the Outback Bowl and therefore unmotivated...and vice versa for Ole Miss? Or was it simply the overwhelming SEC athleticism that led to the demise of the Hoosiers?
More like Pinnex didn’t play because of injury.

A&M #3 in the final poll?
They just beat a 4 loss team that was playing without some of its key guys.
I would probably leave them behind Notre Dame and Clemson if I had them behind those two last poll.
I would probably put them above those two if I had them above those two last time.

if Notre Dame played North Carolina, Notre Dame would win (and did in the regular season
If A&M played Bama they would get blown out (and did in the regular season)

definitely, and could even jump to #2 if OSU gets demolished.
For beating a 4 loss team in a fairly close game and some others getting blown out by a team A&M got blown out by?

Top Bottom