Bielema Press Conference

How will we verify that you actually took the test as opposed to someone taking it for you? It gets kinda gray at times, no?

Fact is, WI's record at home is pretty good, and the Gophers' recent problem regarding beating the Badgers whether at home or on the road is well documented. Maybe you just need to play the Badgers somewhere besides Madison or Mpls????

What does any of this have to do with Bielema's comments at the Big Ten Media Day?

I havnt ripped your school once, Im sorry I forgot that your fans love to live in ignorant bliss that you will one day become a relevant program again.(Okay I just did.)

Hmm...

Bragging about history from when your great grandpa was alive for is hardly a great indicator of team success.

Have another nice year below .500.:drink:

Unluckily for lying liars like you, this board has a feature wherein you can view users' past posts.

Also, being relevant at one point is better than never being relevant at all.

Try again, troll.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BretBielema.jpg

It took me a while...but it was worth it

University of Wisconsin--Madison-#7
University of Minnesota--Twin Cities-#22

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-top-public

Quoting US News & World Report as evidence of academic superiority is like studying for the Bar exam by watching Judge Judy. And the best part of this is that Badger fans (and ND fans) are some of the few people who seem to do it all the time.

Back to the point of the thread:

1. His statement is laghuable.
2. Even if it were true, he would have made only slightly less of an ass out of himself by saying so as he did.

Oh isn't lil Myles cute!

Plus, you used one of my shots for the fark. :clap:

Speaking of tools (and being off topic), let's all thank lil Myles for his picture.

I guess he doesn't have a Buckeye fan to pick on? Behind her back. Brave man.

Back to the subject, why should anything Bielema says surprise us? Furthermore, other than being a little over the top, the Badgers record at home is impressive. Hopefully we make his first visit to TCF a most difficult one....

...... [L]et's all thank lil Myles for his picture.....

No thanks necessary. If anything I should be thanking some of you and/or your friends for being the subjects of one of my most popular shots ever.

LINK

I really don't see what is so objectionable about the coach of a team saying his team has the best homefield advantage in the Big Ten.

Don't you expect, or at at least hope, that Tim Brewster will say the same thing soon about the new stadium in Minnesota?

It's an opinion about something that at least you can understand why the guy has that opinion: he's the coach of the team. It's like a parent saying her baby is cute. What else is she going to say?

Finally, you can say many schools in the Big Ten have the best homefield advantage. Some weeks, it is Ohio State. Some weeks Penn State. Sometimes it is Wisconsin. The following links are non-partisan articles mentioning Wisconsin's formidable home-field advantage:
http://www.rivalryesq.com/section/wisconsin?page=2
http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1014&CID=444097
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2002-09-26-stadiums_x.htm
Michigan Daily: Badgers have best home-field advantage in Big Ten
ESPN: Camp Randall third toughest Big Ten venue

Anyway, so some people agree with Bielema that Wisconsin has the best, or near-best, homefield advantage. Even if Bielema is just like the typical parent saying nice, annoying things about his kid, at least there are other people, with no affilation to Wisconsin saying the same exact thing.

Usually they are right up there with OSU, PSU, sometimes Iowa and MSU get thrown into the conversation. I rarely hear Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, or Minnesota talked about as having great homefield advantages.

Jim Souhan put it pretty well a few years ago:
“Red-clad fans milled around CampRandall like fire ants around a sand hill. Somehow, the smells of propane, hot dogs, damp leaves and beerblended into something more pleasing than perfume.”

"The end zone seats holding the student section are where you want to be. All game, the students stood, dancing to music provided by the marching band or the PA system, and the party really started at the end of the third quarter. Jump Around—the same song played during Anaheim Angels games when the rallymonkey appears—prompted these red-clad primates to do just that, and suddenly this massive stadium was shaking, the press box wavering as if it were made of papier mache.”

“Disregarding the game’s result, it was a quintessential college football experience. Forget about winning and losing: College football is about atmosphere and shared experiences and perfect fall afternoons … in places like Camp Randall Stadium in a town like Madison on a pristine November Saturday.”

9th in the conference this year. Book it.

OK, consider it booked. Name the wager.

This is the third or fourth time you've made this prediction, yet you won't put your money where your mouth is.

Southfew--I don't have a problem with him saying he feels like they have the best homefield advantage. Personally I think PSU (especially at night) and Ohio State are more intimidating places to play but I recognize Madison isn't easy and it belongs in the discussion (with Iowa being the other).

What I take issue with is his excuse for your scheduling. There was a poll posted on a national football message board about whether BCS teams were afraid to play at Madison or whether it was an excuse for scheduling cupcakes.

Badgers like cupcakes: 110
BCS foes fear Camp Randall: 7

The nation has resoundlingly answered that it is just an excuse. You just can't say BCS teams won't schedule home/homes when the other teams in the discussion for most imposing home field advantage have all scheduled legit BCS opponents recently.

OK, consider it booked. Name the wager.

This is the third or fourth time you've made this prediction, yet you won't put your money where your mouth is.

I'd like in as well sf. I doubt the wager will be acknowledged though. Maybe he hasn't seen it yet because he's up at the cabin????

What I take issue with is his excuse for your scheduling. There was a poll posted on a national football message board about whether BCS teams were afraid to play at Madison or whether it was an excuse for scheduling cupcakes.

Badgers like cupcakes: 110
BCS foes fear Camp Randall: 7

The nation has resoundlingly answered that it is just an excuse. You just can't say BCS teams won't schedule home/homes when the other teams in the discussion for most imposing home field advantage have all scheduled legit BCS opponents recently.

You are smart enough to know that an internet message board poll of 117 people, at best only gauges perception of the issue, not necessarily the reality. (At worst, an internet message board poll could just as well be one 13-year-old boy having fun.) Most analyses of "scheduling cupcakes" is problematic since the writer is talking prospectively, not retrospectively. You simply look at the reputation of the teams on the schedule and decide whether the team is a "tough" team or a "cupcake." I don't think this type of analysis is useful.

A retrospective look would examine the final records of the teams played on a schedule and those teams' schedule strengths. Wisconsin hasn't gotten credit for scheduling home/home with West Virginia and Oregon in recent years when they were very good. Same with Fresno State (although they were unexpectedly bad last year, UW played them when they finished 11-3).

In 2006, the NCAA College Football Records book put out a list of the schools who play the toughest schedule (using the above described retrospective look) between 2001-2005. The results:
Number of years among top ten toughest schedules, 2001-05

4 (1 team)
Arkansas

2 (14 teams)

Kansas State
Florida State
Wisconsin
Southern California
Iowa State
Texas Tech
Florida
Stanford
Alabama
Notre Dame
Texas A&M
Arizona
Ohio State
North Carolina

1 (18 teams)

California
Colorado
Kansas
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Oklahoma State
Miami (F)
Bowling Green
South Carolina
Arizona State
Auburn
Baylor
Georgia
Iowa
Oklahoma
Michigan
Northwestern
Texas

0 (the other 86 I-AA teams)

This type of table is interesting because it shows just how few teams consistently schedule a tough schedule. Part of that is due to how much parity there is (teams can be up and down from year to year, so your schedule that looks so tough at the start of the year, ain't). Part of it is due to the rare non-conference matchups between really good teams. You can throw out examples all you want, but it usually is a very short list.

Finally, no team can control how good a team is going to be years down the line when the games are actually played. Minnesota's series against USC may be the exception. As long as Pete Carroll is there, USC will be good. But you can't say that about almost every other team (every team in the SEC has down years and so do teams like OSU). When you actually look at UW's schedule/results over the last ten years or so UW has had some pretty good out of conference games. The team has beaten and lost to teams that weren't expected to be all that good. Schedule difficulty on message boards is always rated by whether a team is expected to be good. Rarely do fans look back out the final records of the teams played in non-conference games. But when you look at their opponents final record for the season the game was played, you find out that UW played some good teams.

In the last nearly fifteen years, Wisconsin has played/will play the following top 20/bowl teams out of conference:

1995 Colorado in Madison (lost). Colorado finished 10-2. UW got killed. The fancy, dumb new uniform game.
Stanford at Stanford (tied). Stanford finished 7-4-1

1996 Stanford in Madison (won). Stanford finished 7-5. Both Stanford games were thought to be unispiring efforts by the Badgers.

1997 Syracuse in New Jersey (lost). Syracuse finished 9-4.

1998 San Diego State in San Diego (won). Another uninspring early effort, but maybe SDSU was at least above average. SDSU finished 7-5

2000 Oregon in Madison (won). Oregon finished 10-2. One of the more intense games I have attended.
Cincinnati in Madison (won - UW lost to them the year before in Cincy). Cincinnati finished 7-5.
Western Michigan in Madison (won). WMU finished 9-3. This game was thought of, at the time, as a crushing, embarassing narrow victory. UW was limited by the Shoebox suspensions.

2001 Oregon in Eugene (lost). Oregon finished11-1! Yes, that means Wisconsin almost beat one of Oregon's best teams ever at Oregon, widely considered the toughest place to play in the Pac10.
Fresno State in Madison (lost). FSU finished 11-3!. This was thought to be a national
embarassment, but FSU was good. Remember Bernard Berrian? What's he doing now?

2002 Fresno State in Madison (won). FSU finished 9-5.
West Virginia in Madison (won). WVU finished 9-4.
Northern Illinois in Madison (won). Northern finished 8-4.
note: UW also played Arizona this year at home and UA was really bad this year but this game was set when Arizona was a bowl team.

2003 West Virginia in Morgantown (won), another place considered a very, very difficult place to play. WVU finished 8-5.
Akron in Madison. Akron finished 7-5.

2004 at Arizona (not a good team but scheduled when they were a contender)

2005 at North Carolina (same as Arizona)

2006 UW was supposed to play Oregon State. The Beavers backed out and Western Illinois got put on the calendar.

In 2007, Wisconsin had Washington State which was scheduled during WSU's high-water mark Ryan Leaf years..
In 2008, Wisconsin had Marshall and played at Fresno State, where BCS teams rarely, if ever, travel to.
In 2009, Wisconsin has Fresno State at home again.
In 2010, Wisconsin has a game at Arizona State.

The scheduling philosophy is to play one difficult OOC game, one easy one, and one middle of the road and Wisconsin has followed that for a long time. Based on the facts above, it cannot be said that Wisconsin plays a cupcake schedule. They play a schedule that, over the last ten years or so, has been in the upper tier of difficulty for the Big Ten.

Certainly, their schedule over the last ten years has been tougher than Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, MSU, Indiana, and Iowa. Michigan and OSU and sometimes PSU may play a slightly tougher schedule but the difference, over time, is negligible. Lastly, Bielema's comments were certainly motivated by the fact that deals with Notre Dame, Auburn, and Boise State have stalled or fallen-through this last off season, largely because the other schools do not want to play a true home-and-home series, but would rather play two nuetral site games. It seems reasonable that Bielema's conclusion would follow.

@southfew

Idc how hard their OOC schedule has been, the fact of the matter is that BB said he couldn't get tougher OOC games for the next few years because Camp Randall was too scary for the other teams to come into to play... Which is HORSESHIT bottom line. Happey Valley and the Horseshoe are easily harder stadiums, and I didn't even mention Kinnick or the Big House

boom roasted. Bielema a douschebag end of story

@southfew

Idc how hard their OOC schedule has been, the fact of the matter is that BB said he couldn't get tougher OOC games for the next few years because Camp Randall was too scary for the other teams to come into to play... Which is HORSESHIT bottom line. Happey Valley and the Horseshoe are easily harder stadiums, and I didn't even mention Kinnick or the Big House

boom roasted. Bielema a douschebag end of story

Dear GOW,
We will have to agree to disagree.

I am assuming that you are privy, as Coach Bielema is, to the ongoing negotiations between UW and Auburn, Notre Dame, and Boise State, to be able to so definitively contradict Coach Bielema.

I'm wondering why our coach is allowing Gopher fans in on his meetings with other schools.

Finally, it's strange that you would consider Happy Valley or Columbus harder places to play when your team's record at Camp Randall the last ten years is no better than those places. Isn't that the definitive measure?

I am assuming that you are privy, as Coach Bielema is, to the ongoing negotiations between UW and Auburn, Notre Dame, and Boise State, to be able to so definitively contradict Coach Bielema.

The whole point here is Bielema standing in front of a mic and defending his lame ooc schedule by crazily suggesting non conference BCS foes are hard to come by because they are scared to play at Camp Randall. The comments are the point of the critical comments here. If Auburn, Notre Dame, and Boise State come to play at CR, won't BB be proving HIMSELF and his crazy frady-cat comments wrong? Hey, we had lame ooc schedules for years under Mason too, at least he didn't make something up to explain it.

I'm wondering why our coach is allowing Gopher fans in on his meetings with other schools.

I'm wondering why you keep changing the subject from the funny comments BB made about other non-conference teams being afraid to play at Wisconsin. Other programs with equally (or more) difficult places to play are managing to attract good BCS non-con opponents.

Finally, it's strange that you would consider Happy Valley or Columbus harder places to play when your team's record at Camp Randall the last ten years is no better than those places. Isn't that the definitive measure?

Since the whole point of this is non-con scheduling and Wisonsin is in the same conference as Minnesota... you have just created a new definition for Webster's to use for "apples and oranges". But what-the-heck, I'll indulge... Can you with a straight face declare Camp Randall to be a MORE difficult place to play compared to Happy Valley or Columbus?

I believe this dude. Mason struggled to get big name opponents because they were scared to play us also. We offered them a home and home, and we kept getting denied. They were so scared!

home and home = dome and dome :).

Bielema is just such a schmuck and that's the only thing here to me. I don't care what he says. Of course he's going to pimp his team and his stadium and Camp Randall is a tough place to play, especially in the first half when most of the student body hasn't passed out yet.

But Bielema comes off as such a crude know-nothing. No class to the guy at all. Unreflective in his comments. Doesn't appear to have any real thought coming out of his grunts. Alvarez had an arrogance about him (most of the great ones do), but he didn't spout mindless banalities like this clown does.

He looks like a student manager who somehow became head coach after a plane crash killed the rest of the staff. What bugs me most about Brewster is that he seems to have chosen Bielema as the guy on whom to base his style.

As much as I dislike the Badgers, Gopher fans are really in no position to be criticizing another teams game day attendance and fan support, IMO. There are plenty of things we can criticize in regards to Wisconsin but fan support is not one of them.

The truth stings...the last time that Minnesota went to the Rose Bowl, I was 10 years-old and delivering newspapers on my Schwinn with a Va-room. The Gophers and their delusional fans cannot possibly fault a coach for saying that his stadium is a tough place to win, hell, if Brewster didn't say the same (or Tweet it, if Marquees stays out of hot water for him to do so), then you all would be saddened.

The fact of the matter is, that for the past decade or so, your team has woefully underachieved and is poised to repeat such demise yet again this year. Until such time that your team actually beats WISCONSIN, you fans really are just tinkling into the wind, like Husker Du in a tornado...

The Badger Football Team owns the Axe and owns the Gophers, period. Now, carry on with this strokefest of sorts, something has to give you please, it certainly isn't the GPA of your athletes...:cry:

sorry!

Deleted... as sanity returned

The truth stings...the last time that Minnesota went to the Rose Bowl, I was 10 years-old and delivering newspapers on my Schwinn with a Va-room. The Gophers and their delusional fans cannot possibly fault a coach for saying that his stadium is a tough place to win, hell, if Brewster didn't say the same (or Tweet it, if Marquees stays out of hot water for him to do so), then you all would be saddened.

The fact of the matter is, that for the past decade or so, your team has woefully underachieved and is poised to repeat such demise yet again this year. Until such time that your team actually beats WISCONSIN, you fans really are just tinkling into the wind, like Husker Du in a tornado...

The Badger Football Team owns the Axe and owns the Gophers, period. Now, carry on with this strokefest of sorts, something has to give you please, it certainly isn't the GPA of your athletes...:cry:

Hooray! A new troll! Everyone come say hello to our cute little friend!

Troll.jpg

The Gophers and their delusional fans cannot possibly fault a coach for saying that his stadium is a tough place to win, hell, if Brewster didn't say the same (or Tweet it, if Marquees stays out of hot water for him to do so), then you all would be saddened.
Why is it so hard for Badger fans to understand the point here? It's not that he said CR is a tough place to play. It is a tough place and we all know that. It's that he said it's the reason they have trouble scheduling good opponents which is a complete joke and just a lame excuse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Washington State is the only ooc BCS home game that Wisconsin has had since UNC in 2003. I won't knock your scheduling in the late 90's or earlier this decade. You had some very legitimate opponents.

Bielema's comments weren't referring to games 10 years ago. His comments were an excuse for the last 5 years (the period of time in which he has been in Madison).

And yes, the poll is all about perception but it is from a national audience that has a thorough understanding of what everyone else in the country is doing. I said earlier in the thread that with Mason's scheduling Minnesota isn't necessarily the one to throw stones but at least he was always honest about why he was doing it ("the Big Ten is tough enough, we want to win all of the ooc games to ensure a bowl berth). If Bielema says something similar I don't have a problem with it. I just take issue with a hollow excuse that nobody is dumb enough to believe.

I am a visitor to this board and will try and act like a visitor. I didn't always so act, but as I approach 50, I find myself mellowing a bit. However, the difference in the maturity level between the Hole and B'Ville, overall, is noteworthy.

Do we have our f*ckjobs at the B'Ville? Of course we do. We also tend to jump all over posters who act like they are 12. If you are 12, then I guess it's age appropriate????

I have met Nate and I believe 'Lady from this board, and they are nice people. I'm hopeful to meet more of you in the future. We all love to rip on each other. The Popular Mechanics Fark is funny, creative and tasteful. I hope we can all stay in this ballpark when poking each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Washington State is the only ooc BCS home game that Wisconsin has had since UNC in 2003. I won't knock your scheduling in the late 90's or earlier this decade. You had some very legitimate opponents.

Bielema's comments weren't referring to games 10 years ago. His comments were an excuse for the last 5 years (the period of time in which he has been in Madison).

And yes, the poll is all about perception but it is from a national audience that has a thorough understanding of what everyone else in the country is doing. I said earlier in the thread that with Mason's scheduling Minnesota isn't necessarily the one to throw stones but at least he was always honest about why he was doing it ("the Big Ten is tough enough, we want to win all of the ooc games to ensure a bowl berth). If Bielema says something similar I don't have a problem with it. I just take issue with a hollow excuse that nobody is dumb enough to believe.

My thoughts, and the general consensus of this entire thread, exactly. All this research, stats, etc. to show CR is a tough place to play. Ironically, that is something we should all be able to agree on. Saying this is the reason why Wisconsin can't get quality non-con games at home is the funny part.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and repeat the all time Minnesota-WI record... 59-51-3 with Minnesota leading, so i think it's rightfully stated that the Gophers own the Badgers, and there's no arguing with that.

It must kill these BADger fans learning that I do live in WI (attend the U, by choice, may I add not cuz I didn't get accepted and it was my back up or any shit like that) and I have to hear about how much these guys are the god-sends of the world and how if I don't get into Madison after HS I need to go jump off a bridge. Then you have the Badger fans that never attended the school and just jump on the bandwagon because everyone else tells them too. Suck it Badgers. Might I also mention that almost every Badger I know seems to forget that they truly never had a football team until Barry Alvarez arrived and had some success... Bielema is sending them back onto the path of mediocrity... and how sweet it is...

Top Bottom