Bielema Press Conference

While, even as a Badger fan I would have voted for PSU as the toughest place to play. He is correct when it comes to scheduling. There has been several instances where they tried to get a BCS team in only to have them balk at coming back. Texas was the latest example of this. UW agreed to play there first but Texas tried to get the return game pushed back which basically ensured they would buy that game out and not return the trip and they would come up to UW first either.

Nothing was scheduled so there was nothing to push back. Texas said they could cancel a game with UCF in 2009 and make a return trip in 2013. Wisconsin wouldn't agree to that arrangement.

You're fine to say that Wisconsin didn't like the terms that Texas was dictating to them but implying Texas had a fear of playing in Camp Randall isn't factually accurate without more information to affirm that. And believe me, I do agree that the terms don't seem fair because the news stories gave the impression that Texas was trying to hold the upperhand in negotiations by taking the front and holding off on the back end of the trip.

UW might finish in 9th, but Minny will still be looking up at them in the standings.

BB will be 4-0 with Minny.

Be clear...I think Beiliema is a dbag...but having home field advantage is about the team, not the fans.

If USC and tOSU played thier home games in the parking lot of the local walmart...their talent would still win out...so Sconnie was tough at home when they had good players and coaches...now they don't so they are not nearly as tough.

Hopefully, Brewster and Co and rise up and make the bank a place where people fear...time will tell.

Everyone here knows the Longhorns are scared to play in Madison. Columbus, OTOH, was just a walk in the park - not a particularly good team, not a particularly intimidating home environment.

Someone is sensitive if you view my realistic observation about lack of gopher fan support/attendance as criticism. You can say what you want yet whether you like it or not the University is always going to cater to the alumni first and foremost and not some guy whose only ties to the school are a few drunken saturdays a year.

Not if that fan donates to the Williams Fund, Alumni association, etc.....

The Badgers are 30-3 at home and 17-3 at home in the Big Ten over the last 5 years. I am no genius, but that looks pretty good.

They also have the second best record in the Big Ten over the last 5 years. OSU 51-12, UW 47-17.

Last year, for many reasons, was an average year. It is a bit premature to conclude the program is going in the tank. You can all dream though.

Doyel's review at CBSSportsline of BB at media day:

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema: Poor guy. He was the only coach who was shooed off the stage with time still in his allotted 15 minutes. Worse, he came on a few minutes late because Zook ran long. Not a lot of interest from the Big Ten media in Wisconsin.

The Badgers are 30-3 at home and 17-3 at home in the Big Ten over the last 5 years. I am no genius, but that looks pretty good.

They also have the second best record in the Big Ten over the last 5 years. OSU 51-12, UW 47-17.

Last year, for many reasons, was an average year. It is a bit premature to conclude the program is going in the tank. You can all dream though.

All the more reason that they should be scheduling a BCS team for non-conference games. To be quite frank Wiscy fans are getting screwed by not having a better schedule. We got that a lot under Mason but at least he was honest and said he wanted an easy ooc schedule to ensure a bowl berth instead of using lame excuses that teams are afraid to play us here. Iowa hasn't had any problem bringing Pitt & Arizona to Kinnick. I don't see why the situation at Kinnick would be different than Camp Randall.

All the more reason that they should be scheduling a BCS team for non-conference games. To be quite frank Wiscy fans are getting screwed by not having a better schedule. We got that a lot under Mason but at least he was honest and said he wanted an easy ooc schedule to ensure a bowl berth instead of using lame excuses that teams are afraid to play us here. Iowa hasn't had any problem bringing Pitt & Arizona to Kinnick. I don't see why the situation at Kinnick would be different than Camp Randall.

Bingo! Other Big 10 schools, when they try, get quality non-con opponents. Wisconsin is a tough place to play, but it isn't THAT scary compared to tOSU, Iowa, Penn State, etc. Iowa is the best example but it isn't the only one. I don't know how BB managed to keep a straight face as he said other BCS teams were afraid to play at Wisconsin.

We have played BCS teams almost every year.

2001 Virginia, at Oregon
2002 West Virginia
2003 at West Virginia, North Carolina
2004 at Arizona
2005 at North Carolina
2006 none
2007 Washington State
2008 and 2009, we played and will play Fresno State, who was ranked when we went there last year. While not BCS, they have been one of the better non BCS programs over the last decade. It is no different then playing Air Force and not getting "credit" because they are not a BCS team.

2010 ASU
2011 Oregon State

The schedules for the most part, have been fine. Personally, I would like to see a tougher schedule, but for the most part, as the above games indicate, they are as good or better as almost everyone else.

The Gophers deserve credit for improving their schedule. However, based on how bad it has been in the past, they really had no choice.

2008 and 2009, we played and will play Fresno State, who was ranked when we went there last year. While not BCS, they have been one of the better non BCS programs over the last decade. It is no different then playing Air Force and not getting "credit" because they are not a BCS team.
No and no. Not BCS is not BCS. I don't think the Gophers should get credit for "almost a BCS" with AF. You should also consider the fact that Fresno State of '08 and '09 is NOT the same thing as the Fresno State of earlier this decade (the one that should have beaten USC in '05 and had many other big upsets). At this point Fresno State's rep is bigger then their actual quality of play.
The Gophers deserve credit for improving their schedule. However, based on how bad it has been in the past, they really had no choice.
As for the Gophers, we had no choice? That's laughable. We could easily have kept playing cupcakes if Brewster wanted. I also love how deciding to schedule USC is a natural progression to you...we "had no choice" but to schedule USC and keep pursuing Texas. Jeebus... :rolleyes:

Shocking.

Bielema's an asshat and he's delusional? I'm stunned. Nothing in his past would have implied that at all.

Brewster's tweeting has been great entertainment, but Bielema on twitter would be can't-miss entertainment.

Bielema's an asshat and he's delusional? I'm stunned. Nothing in his past would have implied that at all.

Brewster's tweeting has been great entertainment, but Bielema on twitter would be can't-miss entertainment.

Well have at it:

http://twitter.com/BretBielema

Not sure you're going to find any bulletin board material (or anything embarrassing for Bielema or UW for that matter).

Well have at it:

http://twitter.com/BretBielema

Not sure you're going to find any bulletin board material (or anything embarrassing for Bielema or UW for that matter).

We're just holding out for his 2 a.m. twitters from the local bars....hopefully he'll include pics.

bielema_bong.jpg

No and no. Not BCS is not BCS. I don't think the Gophers should get credit for "almost a BCS" with AF. You should also consider the fact that Fresno State of '08 and '09 is NOT the same thing as the Fresno State of earlier this decade (the one that should have beaten USC in '05 and had many other big upsets). At this point Fresno State's rep is bigger then their actual quality of play.

As for the Gophers, we had no choice? That's laughable. We could easily have kept playing cupcakes if Brewster wanted. I also love how deciding to schedule USC is a natural progression to you...we "had no choice" but to schedule USC and keep pursuing Texas. Jeebus... :rolleyes:

I would argue they Gophers had to improve the schedule based on the money they were asking to be donated and the huge commitment the fans made to the new stadium. Then again, looking at the home basketball schedule, I could be totally off base on that.

BCS is a stupid, made up designation that is supposed to mean something when it comes to scheduling, but doesn't. It all depends on who you play, not the conference they are in.

Who has a tougher schedule.

Utah
Boise State
TCU
Fresno State

or

Syracuse
Washington State
Duke
Iowa State

Not a tough one to figure out.

Since the background is a shot of the crowd at a UW football game that's being used by the school for promotional purposes you can always play a fun game of "Find the Photoshopped in Black Guy."

What does that have anything to do with anything? Are you the moron on the rivals board whose whole life is ripping on Wisconsin on the Main boards?

GVBadger--When you consider Washington St. is the only home game against a BCS opponent since UNC in 2003 I would be really pissed if I was a Wisconsin fan. I'll give you credit that when you scheduled Fresno St. they were better than they are now and they have been the equivalent of a 3rd-5th place team in most BCS conferences so it is legit competition.

However, that really isn't the point. Bielema made the statement that he believes Wisconsin has the best homefield advantage in the Big Ten and his evidence was that BCS teams don't want to schedule OOC games there. Yet other teams that can put up an argument for biggest homefield advantage (OSU: USC/Texas; PSU: Oregon St., Alabama next yr; Iowa: Pitt, Arizona) have scheduled much better opponents.

I just don't buy that BCS teams won't play at Wisconsin.

I would argue they Gophers had to improve the schedule based on the money they were asking to be donated and the huge commitment the fans made to the new stadium. Then again, looking at the home basketball schedule, I could be totally off base on that.

BCS is a stupid, made up designation that is supposed to mean something when it comes to scheduling, but doesn't. It all depends on who you play, not the conference they are in.

Who has a tougher schedule.

Utah
Boise State
TCU
Fresno State

or

Syracuse
Washington State
Duke
Iowa State

Not a tough one to figure out.

I grant that schools scheduling quality opponents should get credit for that regardless of whether the opponent is from a BCS conference or not. But the distinction of BCS/non-BCS is not meaningless because it has a direct impact on how many road games a school plays. BCS schools demand home and home deals not "2 for 1's" or "1 and dones". Wisconsin (or Minnesota, or any other BCS school scheduling non BCS schools) isn't typically selecting these non-BCS schools b/c they might be tough. They're picking them because they will play games at the Big School's home stadium for money and offer easy to moderately easy W's. I noticed that you didn't list all the non-BCS oppoenents the Badgers face in the past decade, just Fresno State. Probably because it also includes many Woffords, Cal Poly's, N. Illinois, etc. Yes, there are non-BCS schools that are better than many BCS schools in a given year. But they are the exceptions to the rule. Fresno State was probably that exception when Wisky added them to the schedule a few years ago. But they are not that exception anymore. Now they are just another run of the mill non-BCS school. The only difference is that UW set up a rare non-BCS home and home with them.

What does that have anything to do with anything? Are you the moron on the rivals board whose whole life is ripping on Wisconsin on the Main boards?

Says the Wisconsin fan who frequents a Gopher fan board to sate his Napoleon complex.

*irony*

I should probably define touche since most sconnies probably can't pronounce the word much less understand it........ it means he just bitch slapped you back to wisconsin you little pin dicked troll, there has to be better things you can manage to do with your life that troll boards (I hope).

Says the Wisconsin fan who frequents a Gopher fan board to sate his Napoleon complex.

*irony*

I havnt ripped your school once, Im sorry I forgot that your fans love to live in ignorant bliss that you will one day become a relevant program again.(Okay I just did.)

University of Wisconsin--Madison-#7
University of Minnesota--Twin Cities-#22

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-top-public

So let me try to understand what your getting at here???? Are you assuming that only people that go to each university are fans? I would guess most of the Badger fan base didn't go to school there, so not sure if your cute little stat holds any water.

And again, take a long look in the mirror, and ask yourself what your life has come to that you spend time trolling rival message boards :eek: There HAS to be something better to do with your time. Have you ever thought of getting a gym membership? That is a good way to feel better about yourself and maybe lift your self esteem :pig:

Oh sweet, college rankings. How 'bouts we compare what we got on the PSATs next.

How will we verify that you actually took the test as opposed to someone taking it for you? It gets kinda gray at times, no?

Fact is, WI's record at home is pretty good, and the Gophers' recent problem regarding beating the Badgers whether at home or on the road is well documented. Maybe you just need to play the Badgers somewhere besides Madison or Mpls????

Top Bottom