Already bowling (likely)

Florida took the lead. It’s over.
Florida and BYU both lost
That means what? We still need a miracle to get in.

lol

and no.....we don't need a miracle. I'd say it's fairly likely with the way the games have played out now.

I used to find random bowl games interesting but with players sitting out post season games that aren't CFP, they've become less interesting. They're more like pre-spring game games.

I get that. I'm of the opinion that more football is better. Especially if these games are being played in the slots of sportscenter reruns or yelling at each other panel shows.

So working with the players currently on the team is less important than finding new players?

You should let every team not in the playoffs know that they are wasting their time on bowl games.
I would usually agree with you and advocate for the bowl game. However, this season was different, and not just because of the record. This program is at a crossroads. PJ needs to honestly assess this team and coaching staff and figure out how he can right the ship. My opinion is that will require him to maybe go outside of his “bubble” he prefers to live within and go get a dynamic OC and actually let him run the show offensively (at least more than he’s letting Harbaugh). He also needs to go find a QB if Viotto or Lindsay aren’t going to be ready next year. He also needs to right the ship from a recruiting perspective as it’s been lagging.

More so than any year in PJ’s tenure, it’s obvious some big changes are needed. This team has had how many practices this year? Close to 100 between in-season, fall camp, spring ball? Not sure 15 more are going to make or break this thing. As a seasoned Gopher fan, I’ve seen this movie before and this thing has the distinct possibility of having the wheels come off. I like PJ and want him to succeed, and IMO he needs to spend his time on some more important things than end of year practices.

Agree to disagree.

CBI doesn't invite Power 6 teams.

It has nothing to do with "deserving" a bowl game. Everything to do with whether it's better to be invited or not.
I believe they used to, or it might have been one of the other ones below the NIT. And they always said no and ended their seasons.

Don't know how accurate 'jeff111' is with his analysis.....but assuming that Clemson closes out South Carolina.....we'll be looking at the last two games tonight.

California vs UCLA
Colorado State vs Hawaii

Just can't have CAL and CSU both win. UCLA is a new Big Ten member. Help us out new homies.
Is it confirmed that we're the first 5-7 team on the list?

I would usually agree with you and advocate for the bowl game. However, this season was different, and not just because of the record. This program is at a crossroads. PJ needs to honestly assess this team and coaching staff and figure out how he can right the ship. My opinion is that will require him to maybe go outside of his “bubble” he prefers to live within and go get a dynamic OC and actually let him run the show offensively (at least more than he’s letting Harbaugh). He also needs to go find a QB if Viotto or Lindsay aren’t going to be ready next year. He also needs to right the ship from a recruiting perspective as it’s been lagging.

More so than any year in PJ’s tenure, it’s obvious some big changes are needed. This team has had how many practices this year? Close to 100 between in-season, fall camp, spring ball? Not sure 15 more are going to make or break this thing. As a seasoned Gopher fan, I’ve seen this movie before and this thing has the distinct possibility of having the wheels come off. I like PJ and want him to succeed, and IMO he needs to spend his time on some more important things than end of year practices.

Agree to disagree.

What does this have to do with a bowl game? You're talking about PJ making changes internally. Has nothing to do with the team making a bowl game or not.

And they haven't for multiple years. Got a better point?
The point is that the "extra practices!" is largely a talking point and teams have routinely turned them down when it was going to cost the athletic department $$.

I watch as many bowl games as I can. Seeing unconventional matchups between teams that never typically play one another is fun. What kind of fan wouldn't want to see their team play?
I'm with you. I just don't get how people can be so negative on this board about deserving or not deserving a bowl? It's just entertainment. If people didn't watch, they wouldn't have so many bowl games.

I'll definitely watch if it's the Gophers. It's so much more fun to watch a game when you recognize a lot of the players! A lot of our hurt guys should be back so maybe we're at close to full strength. It will be nice to see what that looks like. If they start off looking like crap, I'll just watch something else before I get upset. I agree it's really fun to see the unconventional matchups.

I'll watch all the B1G bowl games that I can. I now become more of a B1G fan than Gopher fan. I was hoping Ohio State could sneak into the playoff, but none of the close games that would have helped them - Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, Washington - broke the right way today so it's looking bleak. A little chaos would have been fun!

South Florida wins - becoming the 78th team with 6 wins.

Colorado State (5-6) is playing Hawaii tonight. Colo St is favored by 5.5 pts

Cal (5-6) is playing UCLA tonight. UCLA favored by 9 pts

Navy (5-6) plays Army on Dec 9th. Navy is a 2.5 pt favorite.

as I understand it, if Colorado State and Navy win, that makes it 80 teams with 6 wins. James Madison and Jacksonville State would be selected ahead of any 5-7 teams to make 82.

so, for the Gophers to make it, either Colorado State or Navy has to lose. I think.

The point is that the "extra practices!" is largely a talking point and teams have routinely turned them down when it was going to cost the athletic department $$.

You're comparing a football bowl game which typically occurs a month later than a teams final game.....to a basketball post season tournament that typically begins right after the season.

Not equivalent in the least. Try again.

South Florida wins - becoming the 78th team with 6 wins.

Colorado State (5-6) is playing Hawaii tonight. Colo St is favored by 5.5 pts

Cal (5-6) is playing UCLA tonight. UCLA favored by 9 pts

Navy (5-6) plays Army on Dec 9th. Navy is a 2.5 pt favorite.

as I understand it, if Colorado State and Navy win, that makes it 80 teams with 6 wins. James Madison and Jacksonville State would be selected ahead of any 5-7 teams to make 82.

so, for the Gophers to make it, either Colorado State or Navy has to lose. I think.

Bowls are announced next sunday. Navy/Army isn't until the weekend after. So I'm not sure if that plays into this.

What does this have to do with a bowl game? You're talking about PJ making changes internally. Has nothing to do with the team making a bowl game or not.
Because all of those things happen between now and the end of January or so. Thus, a ton of overlap with bowl prep time in December. There are only so many hours in the day and this program needs to triage and figure out where PJs time is best spent.

If you’re convinced AK8 is your guy, the practices may help. I’m not and convinced PJ needs to be out there finding/wooing a transfer QB and getting a legit OC.

If it wasn't for a miracle finish by Old Dominion this afternoon, we'd already be locked in. They forced a safety when their l the opponent was up 7 trying to run out the clock. Then got a TD on the last play of the game.

Because all of those things happen between now and the end of January or so. Thus, a ton of overlap with bowl prep time in December. There are only so many hours in the day and this program needs to triage and figure out where PJs time is best spent.

If you’re convinced AK8 is your guy, the practices may help. I’m not and convinced PJ needs to be out there finding/wooing a transfer QB and getting a legit OC.

Nonsense. Plenty happens between January and the beginning of spring practice. And there's nothing stopping PJ from making coaching changes between now and the bowl game.

You make it seem like every 6-6 bowl team is unable to do anything because of their game.

Bowls are announced next sunday. Navy/Army isn't until the weekend after. So I'm not sure if that plays into this.

I was going off a site called Hero Sports because it had the clearest outline of who was in and which teams were on the bubble, listing each by conference. That site included Navy as a bubble team.
so that's what I went with.

----OK - after further research, the Army/Navy game does not count for bowl eligibility because as noted, it is after the deadline. Navy needed to beat SMU to ensure a bowl berth. So the site I was using was wrong. I was led astray.........so Gophs need either Colorado State or Cal to lose. if both win, the Gophs stay home.

as of 11:15pm - Hawaii leads Colorado State 13-10 in the 2nd qtr.

and California is leading UCLA 20-7.

Last edited:

Cal is looking way to good.
Colorado state appears to be on a loosing track…

in the "this is hard to do" category - UCLA just had a 15-play drive and came away with no points. their previous drive ended in an INT. so Cal is looking better.

Cal is taking it to UCLA. They aren't losing this game.

UCLA can very well still come away with this one if they make adjustments, Cal isn't playing all that well on offense either all things considered. Plenty of time.

Top Bottom