Already bowling (likely)

Some guy

Reaction score
gophers have 5 wins
Are tied for 8th in APR

There likely won’t be enough teams eligible.
James Madison and Jacksonville State will get first two spots:

Followed by
5 win northwestern (projected to be eligible)
5 win wisconsin (projected to be eligible)
5 win Clemson (projected to be eligible)
5 win Cincinnati (would need to win out to get to 5)
Tied with 5 win Wake

Most projections have at least 4 unfilled spots having replacements. And include Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clemson as teams that will get to bowl eligible. Meaning if Mn ends up at 5-7 there is a 5th empty slot.

when I was growing up, only a handful of the best teams in college FB went to Bowl Games. over the years, so many Bowls have been added that now, there is nothing special about making a bowl game.

in fact, many people see making a Bowl Game as a minimum requirement for a D1 team. if you don't make a Bowl Game, you are considered to be a below-average team or worse.

In my book, if a team can't win at least half of its games, it should not go to a Bowl. No exceptions, no making it through the back door. if there are not enough eligible FBS teams to fill all the spots, then either don't play the game, or invite FCS teams with winning records that didn't make the playoffs.

gophers have 5 wins
Are tied for 8th in APR

There likely won’t be enough teams eligible.
James Madison and Jacksonville State will get first two spots:

Followed by
5 win northwestern (projected to be eligible)
5 win wisconsin (projected to be eligible)
5 win Clemson (projected to be eligible)
5 win Cincinnati (would need to win out to get to 5)
Tied with 5 win Wake

Most projections have at least 4 unfilled spots having replacements. And include Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clemson as teams that will get to bowl eligible. Meaning if Mn ends up at 5-7 there is a 5th empty slot.
I thought that it had already been ruled that JMU and JSU would not be allowed to play in the postseason.

when I was growing up, only a handful of the best teams in college FB went to Bowl Games. over the years, so many Bowls have been added that now, there is nothing special about making a bowl game.

in fact, many people see making a Bowl Game as a minimum requirement for a D1 team. if you don't make a Bowl Game, you are considered to be a below-average team or worse.

In my book, if a team can't win at least half of its games, it should not go to a Bowl. No exceptions, no making it through the back door. if there are not enough eligible FBS teams to fill all the spots, then either don't play the game, or invite FCS teams with winning records that didn't make the playoffs.
I don’t disagree

I thought that it had already been ruled that JMU and JSU would not be allowed to play in the postseason.
They can’t unless there aren’t enough teams to fill out the bowls.

They go before non-eligible eligible teams though. Or so I’ve read

Don't disagree that sub .500 teams shouldn't be able to go to a bowl but as long as the games exist they have to fill the spots with someone.

Making a bowl has absolutely become a minimum requirement to view any season as a success at all. If you can't qualify for a bowl game when the bar is just being .500 you had a really bad year.

The Underwhelming Bowl between Minnesota and Clemson would be cool

A lot of teams make the FCS playoffs and the quality drops off really fast, especially this year. Most years there's a pretty big difference in quality between the top 2 or 3 programs in FCS and even the rest of the top 10. This year's top 10 is a mess with the only certainty being that SDSU is the top team. Beyond that teams are ranked in the top 10 only because someone has to be. If you'd put non-qualifiers in bowl games, it would be pretty ugly.

The year Claeys took over we finished 5-7 but got to go to Detroit to face Central Michigan, if I recall correctly.

That’s fitting for a 5-7 finish.

Would rather finish 7-5, with the Axe, and go to the Music City.

A lot of teams make the FCS playoffs and the quality drops off really fast, especially this year. Most years there's a pretty big difference in quality between the top 2 or 3 programs in FCS and even the rest of the top 10. This year's top 10 is a mess with the only certainty being that SDSU is the top team. Beyond that teams are ranked in the top 10 only because someone has to be. If you'd put non-qualifiers in bowl games, it would be pretty ugly.
1South Dakota State (26)9-06501
2Furman8-16122
3Montana8-16033
4Idaho7-25755
5Montana State7-25338
6South Dakota7-249212
7North Carolina Central8-14919
8Delaware7-23866
9Florida A&M8-1378T-13
10UIW7-23684
11Sacramento State6-33557
12North Dakota6-334615
13North Dakota State6-332410
14Austin Peay7-230417
15Southern Illinois6-328511
16UT Martin7-226318
17Chattanooga7-3258T-13
18Villanova7-219322
19Harvard7-119119
20Northern Iowa6-316123
21Western Carolina6-315820
22Holy Cross6-312921
23Lafayette7-29116
24Central Arkansas6-37925
25Albany7-367NR

That's a nice story.

The year is 2023 and evidently people like to watch college football in December. So much so that TV networks make money showing it on TV. Advertisers throw money at the TV networks for getting millions of people to watch.

Guess which teams actually get a million fans to watch? Big Ten Teams, SEC teams, ACC Teams.

Guess who barely anyone watches... FCS teams.

That was my understanding as well.

There is news today that James Madison is again going to petition the NCAA to reduce their 2-year "no bowl" transition period to 1 year. The previous denial was before the season, so not sure if their record will change the NCAA's mind this time around.

There is news today that James Madison is again going to petition the NCAA to reduce their 2-year "no bowl" transition period to 1 year. The previous denial was before the season, so not sure if their record will change the NCAA's mind this time around.
It's such a dumb, meaningless restriction. Especially since a team like that isn't going to make the playoffs. Why not let them play in a bowl if they're good enough?

Come to think of it, how can the NCAA stop them from accepting a bowl invite? Just go if accepted.

Don’t think it will. But they can go if there aren’t enough eligible teams

There's 3 games left including the last place West team and our arch rival who just lost to the really last place team.

It hurts my soul that there's a thread for this already

There's 3 games left including the last place West team and our arch rival who just lost to the really last place team.

It hurts my soul that there's a thread for this already
Why does it hurt your soul to know the gophers are bowling?

Why does it hurt your soul to know the gophers are bowling?
It's fine. It's just like shoving off from the dock to go fishing and saying 'at least there's cold pizza in the fridge when we get home'

I didn't realize it until there was a crawl on ESPN, but JMU could get a NY6 bowl if the restriction goes away.

It's such a dumb, meaningless restriction. Especially since a team like that isn't going to make the playoffs. Why not let them play in a bowl if they're good enough?

Come to think of it, how can the NCAA stop them from accepting a bowl invite? Just go if accepted.
Agree, after looking at UNCheat and Kansas, the NCAA is irrelevant

@disco because the NCAA tightly controls how many games a team can play a year. You’re only allowed to play more than 12 games a year under very specific criteria.

Otherwise, your argument is exactly the same thing as saying “if a team wants to play 15 games per season, why shouldn’t they just go do it?”

Last edited:

Also, NDSU is swept by all other Dakota schools this year!!!

How many years/decades has it been since that last happened???

Bison fans must be literally S’ing themselves!!

There are 70 teams with 6+ wins
There are 82 spots.

2 of the teams in the 70 are not eligible but would go before 5-7 teams.

So even though they don’t have 70 bowl eligible teams there are 70 teams that would go before 5-7 Minnesota.

Minnesota is now the first team that would go at 5-7. Because all the teams with higher APR’s are eligible via 6+ wins.

So there are 12 spots left.
5-5 Navy - vs 9-2 SMU and vs 5-6 Army
5-6 Army - vs 5-5 navy
Assuming SMU beats navy, one of these two will go bowling and the other won’t. (Not sure how this works with the game a week late)
11 spots left

5-6 south Florida vs 3-8 Charlotte (project eligible)
10 spots left

5-6 Rice vs 4-7 FAU (project eligible)
9 spots left

5-6 Va tech vs 3-8 VA (project eligible)
8 spots left

5-6 Syracuse vs 4-7 Wake (project ineligible)
8 spots left

5-6 TCU vs 9-2 Oklahoma (project ineligible)
8 spots left

5-6 BYU vs 8-3 Ok state (project ineligible)
8 spots left

5-6 UCF Vs 4-7 Houston (project eligible)
7 spots left

5-6 Illinois vs 6-5 northwestern )project eligible)
6 spots left

5-6 Nebraska vs 9-2 Iowa (project ineligible)
6 spots left

5-6 northern Illinois vs 1-10 Kent state (project eligible)
5 spots left

5-6 eastern Michigan vs 3-8 Buffalo (project eligible) 4 spots left

5-6 central Michigan vs 10-1 Toledo (project ineligible)
4 spots left

5-6 Utah state vs 4-7 New Mexico (project eligible)
3 spots left

5-6 Colorado state vs 4-8 Hawaii (project eligible) 2 spots left

5-6 cal vs 3-8 Stanford (project eligible)
1 spot left

5-6 wazzu vs 11-0 Washington (project ineligible)
1 spot left

5-6 Florida vs 11-0 Florida state (project ineligible)
1 spot left

5-6 South Carolina vs 7-4 Clemson (project ineligible)
1 spot left

5-6 Mississippi state vs 9-2 ole miss (project ineligible)
1 spot left

5-6 Marshall vs 6-5 Arkansas state (project ineligible)
1 spot left

5-6 Louisiana vs 2-9 LA Monroe (project eligible)
0 spots left.

If there are 0 upsets (by record not spread…I didn’t check spread), The gophers will be out. If there is one upset in the gophers favor the gophers would be in.

I don’t have analytics numbers but with a gophers loss I would put it as a 51% they go bowling anyways.

If we manage to lose to one of the worst Wisc teams in a while, at home, after everything bad and wrong that has happened this year …… they don’t deserve a bowl game and I hope it works out that they don’t get one.

If we manage to lose to one of the worst Wisc teams in a while, at home, after everything bad and wrong that has happened this year …… they don’t deserve a bowl game and I hope it works out that they don’t get one.
That has nothing to do with this thread

Why a fan of the team would want us to not go to a bowl makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom