All Things Weakling Wednesday

Frankly, no reason not to be 11-9 concluding the conference season.
Agree.

Penn State is solid, but no excuse if Gophers lose that one at home. ... Indiana sucks. ... and Northwestern is really gritty, knows how to win, but they're shorthanded. And a 3-7 true road record would sound a heck of a lot better than 2-8.

I will also be headed that way for the game. My kids first roadtrip
My wife and I will be at that game too! Northwestern is in our area these days so I don't get to see the Gophers play much in person, really looking forward to it. Hope they have a chance to make it a winning conference record at that game.

Northwestern is really gritty, knows how to win, but they're shorthanded.

Yes, but they've won 4 out of 5, including 2 road games, since losing Ty Berry. None of those were upper division teams in the conference but it's still reason enough not to be too confident.

Yes, but they've won 4 out of 5, including 2 road games, since losing Ty Berry. None of those were upper division teams in the conference but it's still reason enough not to be too confident.
I’m never overconfident about a Gopher road game.

Previous main point being, I don’t think Northwestern will run away & hide. Game should be there for the taking.

If Weakling Wednesday (March 13) at Big Ten Tournament was held today (through March 1):

#12 The Ohio State (7-11) vs. #13 Maryland (7-11), 5:30 p.m. (Peacock)

#11 Indiana (7-10) vs. #14 Michigan (3-15), 8 p.m. (Peacock)

Next update: after Sunday, March 3 games

Last edited:

If Weakling Wednesday (March 13) at Big Ten Tournament was held today (through March 1):

Next update: after Thursday, Feb. 29 games

Hoping these are the 4 teams because it would be hilarious. However, I think Rutgers might slip to WW.

Next update: after Thursday, Feb. 29 games
Weakling Wednesday is on peacock?!?!?!?

Yep. You don’t think NBC had Something to do with all the high profile teams on WW? If not, you’re not paying attention! 😂🦚
Peacock it seems has a horseshoe up its butt. The NFL gives them KC for their game, and right now 4 name schools for Weakling Wednesday

Hard to believe that OSU is a bubble team and may play on WW.... Crazy year

The NFL gives them KC for their game, and right now 4 name schools for Weakling Wednesday

I like this projected Weakling Wednesday! No Minnesota, no Nebraska, no Northwestern, No Penn State, and no Rutgers. There have been 9 previous Weakling Wednesdays and the four projected teams above have combined for only 3 appearances, two of them by Ohio State (including last year).

Lots of teams still in the running for WW.

Kind of a fun end to see how it shakes out.

With 3 to play we are +1.5 from 13th place. The only spot we are guaranteed to not be in is 14th. The best we could possibly be is 4th. My guess at this point we will end up 10-10 and 8th place.

I have not seen Ohio St mentioned as a bubble team in any projection.
If they win win out to get to 9-11, they'll still be in the mix with a couple of wins in the BTT...unfortunately

I have not seen Ohio St mentioned as a bubble team in any projection.

I think they've been mentioned (at least during their game last night) as sort of on the bubble of the bubble. Despite them falling well below expectations over the last half the season, their NET ranking is #63, possibly in striking distance. They're 17-12 now. That's the same position that Penn State was in last season after 29 games. They then proceeded to win 5 straight games before losing to Purdue in the finals of the Big Ten tournament and that got them into the tournament as a 10th seed.

Hoping for 6, 7, or 10.

Opposite side of Purdue bracket

I think I'm indifferent about whether we end up having to play Purdue or Illinois (assuming we go that far in the tournament). I think they are about equally difficult for us to beat and we lost to each of them on the road by an identical margin. The Illinois game was a little more fun though because at least we had an outstanding shooting night.

I'm more concerned about who we would have to play before we got to those teams. Yeah, #6 probably is the best because that would give us two games before we would have to face one of the top 2 teams.

FS1 was talking about it last night.
Some of those pbp guys have almost no sense of the process for selection. I’ve heard some absurd conversations about who might have a chance over the last couple weeks. My guess is it’s deliberate pumping up of the team playing and nothing else. Ohio State is a major long shot, almost as long a shot as us.

Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure the Gophers have been mathematically eliminated from playing on Weakling Wednesday after beating Penn State today. The worst Minnesota can finish is 9-11, and Penn State, Ohio State, and Maryland already have 11 conference losses, and Minnesota is 4-1 against those 3 teams. And Michigan has already clinched the 14 seed.

We're tied with Iowa right now, with Iowa holding the 7 seed and Minnesota the 8 due to their head to head tiebreaker. Iowa is winning a tight road game against Northwestern right now. Minnesota has to win one more game than Iowa in the last two to move ahead.

Iowa's remaining games are @Northwestern, which is on right now, Iowa up 50-46 early in the second half, and then a home game against Illinois. Minnesota's remaining games are Indiana and @Northwestern.

Michigan State is probably our next most likely team we could pass for seeding. Michigan State is 9-8 right now, and their remaining schedule is @Purdue, Northwestern, and @Indiana. Assuming Michigan State loses to Purdue, I think they would still hold a tiebreaker over us. We split with Michigan State in the regular season, so I think the tiebreaker then goes to record against the conference champion, record against the #2 team, and so on, and MSU has a win against Illinois, and we don't.

TL;DR The Gophers cannot play on Weakling Wednesday after their win today, and remember to cheer against Iowa, which you were already doing anyway. Carry on.

It looks like the gophers will be playing on Thursday. My guess is they will be guaranteed be playing in the prime time spot because the game is in Minneapolis? Just thinking ahead for purchasing a ticket.

It looks like the gophers will be playing on Thursday. My guess is they will be guaranteed be playing in the prime time spot because the game is in Minneapolis? Just thinking ahead for purchasing a ticket.
Looking most likely we'll be in the 8/9 game which tips off at 11 AM on Thursday. Brutal time. Hoping we can find our way to that 7th spot.

And most likely playing PSU again in that 8/9 game unless they lose to Maryland at home to close the year.

I think game times are based purely on what see you get. Minnesota is probably mostly likely to get the 8 seed, and the 8/9 game is at 11:00 am Central on Thursday. We could still potentially get the 7 seed if we win our last two and Iowa loses a home game to Illinois. 7/10 game is 5:30 pm Central on Thursday.

Top Bottom