All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

He is kinda annoying. Alan Ritchson and the producers play him that way. From what I've read Reacher is even more annoying in the books. Tom Cruise was not only way too small for the character but he refused to play Reacher as "off putting".

Seeing he had the book rights and was a producer we got Tom's version.

I like the TV version much better.
The best characters all have serious moral flaws and the best of intentions (Don Draper, Vic Mackey, Jax Teller, Raylan Givens, etc).

I’ve actually liked Fear a bit more than the original over the past few seasons.
I just suffered through the last Fear episodes. I can say with 100% certainty that this has become the worst tv show I have ever seen.

I haven't seen it discussed in this thread (and if it was I missed it, sorry), but we just finished the first two seasons of The Bear, very good show on Hulu. Great story and character development, a little slow at times, but know that it's a deep character/plot build. They are in production of Season 3 now, I can't wait.

Go The Bear!!

I haven't seen it discussed in this thread (and if it was I missed it, sorry), but we just finished the first two seasons of The Bear, very good show on Hulu. Great story and character development, a little slow at times, but know that it's a deep character/plot build. They are in production of Season 3 now, I can't wait.

Go The Bear!!
I really struggled with the first season but I kept watching because my siblings said it was just amazing. I enjoyed the second season quite a bit. The episode with the cousin learning at the fancy restaurant was absolutely wonderful.

I really struggled with the first season but I kept watching because my siblings said it was just amazing. I enjoyed the second season quite a bit. The episode with the cousin learning at the fancy restaurant was absolutely wonderful.

I agree. That was the best episode so far.

Go Gophers!!

on the sci-fi/fantasy scene:

watched the 3 special episodes of "Doctor Who." each had a different tone. but all three were entertaining. on Christmas Day, Disney+ will air the Christmas special featuring new Doctor Ncuti Gatwa. then the first full season with Gatwa will air in 2024.

also - caught the 1st two episodes of the new "Percy Jackson" series on Disney+. these are based on the popular book series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I have never read the books but they explain everything well enough so that I could follow what was going on. actually quite good. the cast is largely younger actors, but they do a nice job. some interesting slants on the mythological characters. the lead is played by Walker Scobell, who recently co-starred with Ryan Reynolds in "The Adam Project." if you like fantasy or mythology, worth checking out.

Finished up The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Thought the last couple of episodes were the best. Got a little weary of the bungling main character always coming out of perilous situations unharmed. 5.5 or so for me. Rated 7.7 on IMDb

I have seen all 6 episodes up to this point (I think there 2 left) of A Small Light. The 100% Fresh Rotten Tomatoes score from critics is justified, in my opinion.

It's a telling of the Anne Frank story, but from the perspective of those that helped the Jews & resistance in Amsterdam.

I expect Bel Powley to be in the conversation around awards season.

SAG Nominee.

SAG Nominee

Another can’t miss in the genre is “The Hiding Place,” a book about Corrie Ten Boom, a Dutch Christian, who was part of the underground and helped hid hundreds of Jews and ended up in a concentration camp herself.

She was awarded the highest medal a civilian can receive from Israel. Even more amazing, is that after the was she set up rehabilitation centers for both the prisoners and the Dutch who collaborated with the Nazis.

She forgave everyone, eleven though her dad and sister died in camps. She spent the rest of her life preaching forgiveness and that love is stronger than hate.

Not a movie, but an amazing audiobook/book, which starts slow and then you can’t stop listening once Holland is invaded.

Last edited:

Also All the Slow Horses, with Gary Oldman s and Kristen Scott Thomas, is a spy show set within British intelligence. Oldman plays a drunk washed old spy who is the supervisor of a group of assorted troublemakers and Scott Thomas is his protagonist as the converse of his character. However, Gary still has game.

In the promo for the show he indicated this is it and then he retires.

Had a good friend recommend "Slow Horses" last week. Thinking of giving it a try. Oldman is supposed to be great I guess.

He is kinda annoying. Alan Ritchson and the producers play him that way. From what I've read Reacher is even more annoying in the books. Tom Cruise was not only way too small for the character but he refused to play Reacher as "off putting".

See, now I love the Reacher character in the books, quite a bit more than the Ritchson character, but so far it's working so I'm going with it. Not just the Reacher character in the books but the Lee Child writing style, I find the books incredibly entertaining

See, now I love the Reacher character in the books, quite a bit more than the Ritchson character, but so far it's working so I'm going with it. Not just the Reacher character in the books but the Lee Child writing style, I find the books incredibly entertaining
My mom is 75 and is enamored with this series and Ritchson. Over the holidays, my dad tried to change it to something else and I thought 54 years of marriage was about to crumble right before my eyes.

My mom is 75 and is enamored with this series and Ritchson. Over the holidays, my dad tried to change it to something else and I thought 54 years of marriage was about to crumble right before my eyes.
She knows beefcake when she sees it😍

Last edited:

Interesting ending to season 5 of Fargo. Almost feels like they could have a season 6 could be a continuation of season 5. I doubt that happens as every season has been completely different. Anyhoo I will definitely be rewatching season 5 again

Fargo was great. Odd but wonderful finish. Loved Jennifer Jason Leigh in the jail scene with Jon Hamm.

Started watching "Murder at the End of the World" last night. 1st 3 (of 7) episodes were very good. Hulu.

Fargo was great. Odd but wonderful finish. Loved Jennifer Jason Leigh in the jail scene with Jon Hamm.

Started watching "Murder at the End of the World" last night. 1st 3 (of 7) episodes were very good. Hulu.
We are on episode 5 or 6 of Murder at the End of the World. I feel it started strong and is getting worse as it goes on.

Top Bottom