All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Through two episodes.....Shogun is looking like a show that's going to win a lot of Emmy's. Really, really good.

Side note....I finished the new season of "True Detective". Bad. Would have been better as a 90 minute Netflix movie.

Through two episodes.....Shogun is looking like a show that's going to win a lot of Emmy's. Really, really good.

Side note....I finished the new season of "True Detective". Bad. Would have been better as a 90 minute Netflix movie.
I’ve watched the 3 episodes of Shogun and just cannot connect with the guy playing John Blackthorne. Not sure what it is.

I’ve watched the 3 episodes of Shogun and just cannot connect with the guy playing John Blackthorne. Not sure what it is.

I've heard this as one of the few "complaints". I haven't read the book, so I guess I don't really have any reference on whether it was an odd casting choice or not.

on Shogun and Cosmo Jarvis (the actor playing Blackthorne) - he's clearly got a much different take on the character than Richard Chamberlain had in the old TV mini-series. As I see it, his version is more gruff and less polished than Chamberlain's - probably a little closer to what an actual sailor of that era would be like. but in the 3rd episode, they did show some different sides of Blackthorne.

different doesn't mean bad. overall I still really like the show.

A few episodes into Season 2 of Full Swing. First two episodes were mostly about PGA vs LIV. Kinda annoying that they don’t mention at all why so many people and golfers are mad at the LIV guys. They make it seem like it’s only because of the money when it’s more about where the money is coming from.

A few episodes into Season 2 of Full Swing. First two episodes were mostly about PGA vs LIV. Kinda annoying that they don’t mention at all why so many people and golfers are mad at the LIV guys. They make it seem like it’s only because of the money when it’s more about where the money is coming from.
Finished the second season and it’s great once again. It’s especially fun being 2023 was a Ryder Cup year.

I finished the new season of "True Detective". Bad. Would have been better as a 90 minute Netflix movie.
Interesting that the even numbered seasons were considered bad.

I thought season 3 started out with a really great concept ..... and then they just absolutely had zero writing to come up with a good way to end it. Like, did the vault, somersault, and landed on their head and broke their neck not good.

Not sure if anything will ever come close to how good season 1 was. Though personally I wasn't super satisfied with the ending to that one either.

Just started on a Netflix series, The Gentlemen. 8 episodes of about an hour each. (Not much of an opinion on it yet. Rated highly on IMDB, but who knows?)

I've been looking at this one. Interested to hear how you like it. It was on the short list of series I'd like to try

Just started on a Netflix series, The Gentlemen. 8 episodes of about an hour each. (Not much of an opinion on it yet. Rated highly on IMDB, but who knows?)
Saw that last night. Same actor who played the cheating husband of the two young couples in White Lotus season 2.

Which by the way I just decided to search for when season 3 is supposed to come out, and now it won't be until 2025 because of the damn writer's strike.

I've been looking at this one. Interested to hear how you like it. It was on the short list of series I'd like to try
It's good. Does a couple of those Guy Ritchie things, like a character with such a heavy English accent that it's difficult to understand what is said. And does this script on the screen here and there. The acting is very good. So is the plot.

Penalty! Roadhouse is a movie, not a TV show.

Damn boy!! I thought you were good!!

The Octopus Murders on Netflix. Interesting suppositions on what our government may be capable of.

100 per cent correct! Apologies. (Can I claim the old age excuse?) I will delete it.
No worries my man! Movie thread:

for Geeks and nostalgia buffs - Disney+ has launched the 1st two episodes of "X-Men '97" - a new animated series. this picks up the story from X-Men, the Animated Series that ran on Fox from '92 to '97.

basically same characters and plot line and same style of animation. for the most part, all of the original voice actors returned.

I watched the 1st two episodes last night. nothing earth-shattering, but fun for X-Men fans or people who watched the original series.

if you want to catch up or revisit the original series, all 5 seasons are on Disney+.

(you may have seen in the news that Disney just fired the head writer/showrunner. apparently he was posting things on an OnlyFans account that did not meet Disney standards......)

You ever get started on a show and it's not quite bad enough to QUIT, so you just have to stay with it?

I started "The Tourist" on Netflix a week ago or so, figuring there were 2 seasons so far, how bad could it be? The first season moved agonizingly slow, but just barely kept our interest enough to finish. Mercifully, I think it's only 6 episodes per season.

Second season, we're halfway done; it's better, not as slow, but still not great.

We'll finish it but I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone with any conviction. Maybe 75% of one thumb up out of a possible two?

What about "The Last of Us"? Is it like The Walking Dead? Gets high ratings on IMDB
Might have to try it.
Just finished House of the Dragon (day late, dollar short) and liked it better than Game of Thrones. Could be the result of doing a binge on it. Think that's part of the reason I'm not all that enthused about Shogun. Wait a week, watch an episode, etc.

It will be interesting to see how Curb ends since he is heading down the same path as the Seinfeld ending.

I think this is exactly what they are doing. He's going to trial, and they will have a slew of former character witnesses against him, bringing back all of the great guests over the years. I think it will be a fitting and great way to end this series similarly to how he ended Seinfeld. It was foreshadowed a few episodes ago when someone mentioned to him during Curb that he came back and Directed the Seinfeld finale.

I loved The Boss cameo, very well done.

Go Curb!!

I think this is exactly what they are doing. He's going to trial, and they will have a slew of former character witnesses against him, bringing back all of the great guests over the years. I think it will be a fitting and great way to end this series similarly to how he ended Seinfeld. It was foreshadowed a few episodes ago when someone mentioned to him during Curb that he came back and Directed the Seinfeld finale.

Go Curb!!

Right on, and since he has been ripped so much over the years for the Seinfeld ending, it will be interesting to see what the difference in this one is.

As excited as I am for the ending, I'll be sad to see it go. What a 35 year run for LD!

Go Curb!!
The novel, The Stranger has the original trial that Larry and Jerry built Seinfeld around. I thought it was amazing, but I get why some hated it.

The novel, The Stranger has the original trial that Larry and Jerry built Seinfeld around. I thought it was amazing, but I get why some hated it.

I think there's a lot of people that originally hated it, but if you've gone back and watched it again (too many times in my case) you learn to appreciate and enjoy it.

I think there's a lot of people that originally hated it, but if you've gone back and watched it again (too many times in my case) you learn to appreciate and enjoy it.

This is 100% my journey with the final. Hated it at first, now I love it. It was brilliant.

Larry David was ahead of his time.

Still is.

Go Larry David!!

Top Bottom