All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Hamm is such a likable personality but you have a valid point. When you craft such an iconic character like Draper, it can be hard to be accepted in other roles. Dennis Franz retired from acting after NYPD Blue because he never thought people could see past his incredible portrayal of Andy Sipowizc.

Try watching "The Town" (cop drama) and "Tag" (comedy) with Hamm as two very different characters in underrated movies.
He was so great as Don that when he tries to be funny, it falls flat for me. Fargo isn't really a comedy, so I'm sure he will be fine.

Jennifer Jason Leigh on the other hand... I haven't liked her in anything for years and years. Maybe it's the terrible plastic surgeon she chose. Maybe she is trapped in the Fast Times/Ridgemount High amber.

Hamm is such a likable personality but you have a valid point. When you craft such an iconic character like Draper, it can be hard to be accepted in other roles. Dennis Franz retired from acting after NYPD Blue because he never thought people could see past his incredible portrayal of Andy Sipowizc.

Try watching "The Town" (cop drama) and "Tag" (comedy) with Hamm as two very different characters in underrated movies.
Good Omens isn't for everyone, but I thought Hamm was very good in it.

He was so great as Don that when he tries to be funny, it falls flat for me. Fargo isn't really a comedy, so I'm sure he will be fine.

Jennifer Jason Leigh on the other hand... I haven't liked her in anything for years and years. Maybe it's the terrible plastic surgeon she chose. Maybe she is trapped in the Fast Times/Ridgemount High amber.
Ever watched Last Exit to Brooklyn?

Also was in Miami Blues with Alec Baldwin - very underrated flick.

on the Fantasy/Sci Fi front:
Season 1 of "Ahsoka" wrapped up this week on Disney+. somewhat controversially, the season ended with major cliff-hangers and unresolved plotlines. Disney is considering a 2nd season or possibly having this carry over to a movie that would include elements from other TV series including "The Mandalorian."

I thought it was OK. Not great but not terrible. but with anything 'Star Wars' related, the hard-core fans either loved it or hated it, because there is no middle ground with Star Wars.

1st episode of "Loki - Season 2" debuted on Thursday on Disney+. Lot of fun. fast-paced with a lot of time-travel shenanigans. Tom Hiddleston as Loki is (IMHO) one of the best characters in the MCU. and Ke Huy Quan is a fun addition to the show. Hiddleston, Owen Wilson and Quan make a great team with a mix of banter and techno-babble. show has a definite "Doctor Who" vibe.

Finished up The Continental from the World of John Wick. Maybe a 6 or so on the Rayometer. Three episodes over an hour each.

Ever watched Last Exit to Brooklyn?

Also was in Miami Blues with Alec Baldwin - very underrated flick.
I thought Jennifer Jason Leigh was great in The Hateful Eight, well deserved Oscar nom.

Finished rewatching 'Halt and Catch Fire' (AMC 2014-2017). Easily a top ten (non-sitcom/comedy) show of mine. First season is a bit of a grind.....but it gets better and better. Highs that match 'Mad Men', imo.

Anyone watching the Frazier reboot? Hearing it’s not very good.

as the resident comic-book guy - the 2nd season of "Loki" wrapped up this week on Disney+.

I would say I enjoyed the series as a whole. the final episode was not what I was expecting, and it ended on a rather odd note. but overall, it was watchable. Very sci-fi in the approach, with a lot of time-travel stuff, time paradoxes, etc.

Tom Hiddleston is great as Loki. one of my favorite characters and performers in the MCU. and Ke Huy Quan was a lot of fun in a supporting role.

-------

BTW - if you haven't heard, new episodes of "Doctor Who" will be shown on Disney+ in the US starting this fall. There will be three special episodes starting Nov 25. there will be a Christmas Day special episode, and then the next full season with a new Doctor begins in January.

If you know nothing about Doctor Who, going in cold will be confusing. but there is plenty of information available online if you are interested and want to do a little research.

How are folks feeling about Fargo S5? I've seen the first 2 episodes and will likely watch the 3rd tonight. I think it's enjoyable. The characters/acting are over the top of course, but when you consider that the series is set in its own universe then it's all fun.

After 2 episodes, the number of groups/factions being established is crazy. I'm counting 6.
ND Sheriff (and his cronies)
Dot & Husband
Mother-In-Law (and her cronies)
Scandia + ND Police Departments
Rogue Hitman
FBI agents

....here's hoping the last 8 episodes will be a fun ride.

caught the first Doctor Who special on Disney+.

overall impression was that the actors and writers were just trying to have a lot of fun with this episode, and it works on that level. very fast-paced. a lot of action. there is a fun twist about half-way through where you realize that the 'bad guys' and 'good guys' are not who you thought they were. they don't try to get too heavy or dark.

some people online are upset because there are a couple of jokes about pronouns and gender identity - involving a small, furry alien.

I saw enough to make me want to catch the next episode this weekend.

the show's budget apparently got a boost from the Disney+ deal, and it shows. the new design for the Tardis is an upgrade.

How are folks feeling about Fargo S5? I've seen the first 2 episodes and will likely watch the 3rd tonight. I think it's enjoyable. The characters/acting are over the top of course, but when you consider that the series is set in its own universe then it's all fun.

After 2 episodes, the number of groups/factions being established is crazy. I'm counting 6.
Dot & Husband
Rogue Hitman
FBI agents

Good summation and I’m enjoying it thus far.

Dot & Husband
Rogue Hitman
FBI agents

I’m loving it so far. You will enjoy episode 3

Dot & Husband
Rogue Hitman
FBI agents

Season 5 has been great so far and a return to form. Some similar themes as the early seasons, but that's ok; it works. Juno Temple is fantastic and such a contrast from her Ted Lasso role. Deserving of some award nominations. That Munch guy makes for a fun, mysterious villain. The whole cast, really, is top notch (Foley, Leigh, Hamm, Leery).

I am liking Squid Games the Competition so far. Definitely a different take on competition tv. It's on Netflix.

Yes to both! Dexter has been very good this season. I’m impressed with how they’ve built a compelling storyline.

And I recently binged Succession and am fully caught up. Fantastic show. Only 1 bad episode in 3 seasons and Season 3 ends strong!

Go Gophers!!

I'm just starting the new Dexter: New Blood series; finally getting around to it. Curious to see where this goes, hope it's decent.

Also started watching the Schwarzenegger series, "FUBAR", last week. It's mildly entertaining so far. Some humor, some action, I'll hold off until finishing it to render any kind of verdict.

Reacher season 2, premiere coming to a theater near you. ( I won’t partake, but I applaud 👏 their creativity) -

mail

I'm just starting the new Dexter: New Blood series; finally getting around to it. Curious to see where this goes, hope it's decent.

Also started watching the Schwarzenegger series, "FUBAR", last week. It's mildly entertaining so far. Some humor, some action, I'll hold off until finishing it to render any kind of verdict.
Have that on our list of shows to watch too. Let me know how it goes.

Reacher season 2, premiere coming to a theater near you. ( I won’t partake, but I applaud 👏 their creativity) -

mail

I love the Reacher books by Lee Child; really one of only 3 or 4 authors that I read. Been waiting for Season 2 to get started finally next week. I'm not sure if I'll watch the first two episodes in the theater but now that I think about it, considering there hasn't been shit in the theaters for most of the year and me and the wife love going to the movies, I actually think we will go see it?

I read this book not too long ago, the one they based Season 2 off of.

I love the Reacher books by Lee Child; really one of only 3 or 4 authors that I read. Been waiting for Season 2 to get started finally next week. I'm not sure if I'll watch the first two episodes in the theater but now that I think about it, considering there hasn't been shit in the theaters for most of the year and me and the wife love going to the movies, I actually think we will go see it?
Free tickets 🎫. Don’t worry we won’t tell her😉
I read this book not too long ago, the one they based Season 2 off of.

Season 5 has been great so far and a return to form. Some similar themes as the early seasons, but that's ok; it works. Juno Temple is fantastic and such a contrast from her Ted Lasso role. Deserving of some award nominations. That Munch guy makes for a fun, mysterious villain. The whole cast, really, is top notch (Foley, Leigh, Hamm, Leery).
This new season is awesome. The suspense-building is some of these episodes is incredible. The entire first episode, the home invasion. Top notch.

Fargo S3 was more weird than good, and S4 was awful. Couldn't continue watching it.

Glad to hear S5 is back to good stuff, like S1 and S2.

'Doom Patrol' on HBOMax finished up a couple months ago. While I don't give a rats ass about superhero movies/shows.....this was super weird and unique. Liked it a lot.

Watched 3 episodes of the 2nd season of Jack Reacher on Amazon. I find him kind of annoying, but also was anxious to get home today to view it.

One of my favorite shows (Archer) of all-time ends tonight with a 90 minute series finale.
17028427636545341470003864616964.gif

Watched 3 episodes of the 2nd season of Jack Reacher on Amazon. I find him kind of annoying, but also was anxious to get home today to view it.

He is kinda annoying. Alan Ritchson and the producers play him that way. From what I've read Reacher is even more annoying in the books. Tom Cruise was not only way too small for the character but he refused to play Reacher as "off putting".

Seeing he had the book rights and was a producer we got Tom's version.

I like the TV version much better.

Top Bottom