All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

two episodes in on the newest Disney+/Marvel show - "Secret Invasion."

definitely a darker, more serious tone - similar to the "Winter Soldier" movie. This is basically a political spy thriller with some comic book/sci-fi elements mixed in. fairly high body count and some scenes of torture, so not for the kiddies.

I like what I'm seeing so far, but with 2 episodes down and 4 to go, I'm wondering how they are going to be able to wrap up all the story lines.

FWIW - there was a Marvel Comic-book story line called "Secret Invasion," but this show actually has very little to do with that story. of course, it's a lot easier to draw a huge story with dozens of characters than it is to present it with live actors.

If you don't mind subtitles....or can understand German....'Dark' on Netflix is a pretty excellent sci-fi mystery show.
I'm through the first season and really like it. Having to take a break with us being so busy but plan on finishing when I can.

Anyone watch the series Alone? I’ve been hooked since the first season. True survival. Nothing staged

Last edited:

I'm through the first season and really like it. Having to take a break with us being so busy but plan on finishing when I can.

I'm in a similar boat. Finished the first season and had to take a break. 'Warrior' on MAX started its third season after two and a half years since the second. Needed to rewatch. Super entertaining show created by the same guy who created 'Banshee'.

"Crab Shack."

No, that came a few seasons later.
Gotcha. That was really good too. Mines the brothers though. How they survived in that crappy shelter of theirs is beyond me

Gotcha. That was really good too. Mines the brothers though. How they survived in that crappy shelter of theirs is beyond me
They didn't care about comfort... They just ate crab and anything else they could kill. My wife found them hilarious.

This Fool on FX/Hulu is very funny. I'd put it up with Always Sunny, The Righteous Gemstones, What We Do In The Shadows, and Curb Your Enthusiasm as one of the funniest shows still currently running.

Anyone watch The Walking Dead: Dead City spinoff? I'm irritated they even made this as I'm going to always be tempted to watch it. The Walking Dead was pretty average the last several seasons.

Anyone watch The Walking Dead: Dead City spinoff? I'm irritated they even made this as I'm going to always be tempted to watch it. The Walking Dead was pretty average the last several seasons.
nope. I bailed on TWD after the flagship series finished its run. No interest in Dead City and no interest in the Daryl show. I'm debating whether to watch the final half-season of Fear TWD, which returns in October.

nope. I bailed on TWD after the flagship series finished its run. No interest in Dead City and no interest in the Daryl show. I'm debating whether to watch the final half-season of Fear TWD, which returns in October.
I’ve actually liked Fear a bit more than the original over the past few seasons.

I watched it all the way through but it never had me anxiously waiting for the next episode. As great as JDM is, he just isn't enough to carry this series like Andy Lincoln.

I watched the first episode of "Daryl" and it seems to have more punch but we'll see. Norman's other show, "Ride", is terrific and he just had Keanu Reeves as his ride along for S4 E1.

I have watched every Walking Dead (and spinoffs) episode. I thought both the original and then Fear the Walking Dead were awesome. Great writing, great ideas, etc.. Then...both started to suck big time. Not sure how or why but both shows lost it completely. But since I like to finish things I start...I kept going.

I have now watched the first episodes of Daryl and Dead City. I thought both started strong and seemed to have some new life. I guess I'm a lifer when it comes to this zombie franchise.

I have watched every Walking Dead (and spinoffs) episode. I thought both the original and then Fear the Walking Dead were awesome. Great writing, great ideas, etc.. Then...both started to suck big time. Not sure how or why but both shows lost it completely. But since I like to finish things I start...I kept going.

I have now watched the first episodes of Daryl and Dead City. I thought both started strong and seemed to have some new life. I guess I'm a lifer when it comes to this zombie franchise.
Couldn't agree more with your assessments of the original and Fear. It was like watching the same thing over and over but just with different villains.

I feel like I'd be more interested in the Daryl one but will probably end up watching both.

the whole point of Fear TWD - as I remember - was that it was supposed to tell the origin of the zombie crisis - the stuff we didn't see in TWD while Rick was in a coma. watching society come apart and all that. which could have been interesting if done properly.

but they basically blew through that premise in the 1st season, and after that, it was really no different than TWD - a group of people trying to survive the Zombies, only in different locations.

So I liked the first season of 'Winning Time' on HBOMax....but I didn't love it. I thought it was a little too over the top and a little too kitschy for its own good. I'm really liking the second season a lot. Think it has improved in almost every aspect. Too bad that this is going to be the final season. Regardless....I think they should have focused a little more on the basketball than the melodrama.

Last edited:

So I liked the first season of 'Winning Time' on HBOMax....but I didn't love it. I thought it was a little too over the top and a little too kitschy for its own good. I'm really liking the second season a lot. Think it has improved in almost every aspect. Too bad that this is going to be the final season. Regardless....I think they should have focused a little more on the basketball than the melodrama.

I enjoyed both seasons. I'm disappointed it was cancelled and ended abruptly. The actors were all very good.

Watched episode 1 of The Continental on Peacock. Liked it. Spin-off about Winston who runs the hotel during the John Wick movies. They have a good soundtrack to go along with it. Think there are 3 episodes in total. Next episode is released Friday, Sept, 29th

Have to say, thought episode 2 of The Continental was better than 1. Mel Gibson has emerged as a merciless villain.

Any news when and if there will be another Fargo series?

I hope I can get over the fact that I think Jon Hamm is a one trick pony type actor.
Hamm is such a likable personality but you have a valid point. When you craft such an iconic character like Draper, it can be hard to be accepted in other roles. Dennis Franz retired from acting after NYPD Blue because he never thought people could see past his incredible portrayal of Andy Sipowizc.

Try watching "The Town" (cop drama) and "Tag" (comedy) with Hamm as two very different characters in underrated movies.

Top Bottom