All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

Be nice to get Walton. Always can use people who can hit the three pointers.....

Yes he can. The issue for most incoming guys is trying to hit them with someone with length that is good at getting up and into you.

It seems to me there's a big niche for a mid-range game now. Kids either want to get to the rim or stand on the perimeter and chuck up threes. The Terrell Brandon type game is really lacking. Agree?

I agree with you on offense but we don’t have a 4 that can shoot. Demir won’t be here next year and even this year he’s chucked some up that have gone in but..:.
Freeman and Mitchell are not shooters.
I’d say he is more likely looking at two factors:
Will Pitino be the coach?
Will Oturu be a Gopher next year?
If both were yes, we likely are legit.
My guess, if Oturu is NBA bound Walton would go elsewhere.
Ihnen could be a 4 who can shoot but was recruited as a guard with a promise he’d get some looks at point guard. Right now I think he’d be happy to just get on the court.

Do you have a link? This is the first I'm hearing of him being thought of as a guard. He is very much a 3/4.

Do you have a link? This is the first I'm hearing of him being thought of as a guard. He is very much a 3/4.
Agree! Never heard of him being a guard. With Mashburn coming in, I would think he would want to focus on a position where he can actually get on the floor.

Yes he can. The issue for most incoming guys is trying to hit them with someone with length that is good at getting up and into you.
Kyle Guy made a living from the 3 pt line and wasn't he only like 6'1? Walton has some serious size for a SG so I doubt it will be an issue.

I think both Mitchel and Ihnen fall into the same type of player, Pitino is obviously focusing on stretch players that can play multiple positions, just because they are typed in as a 4 does not mean they are going to be post up players with there backs to the basket, defensively they are going to have to be physical and have the ability to guard a 4 or they are not going to get playing time.

I think both Mitchel and Ihnen fall into the same type of player, Pitino is obviously focusing on stretch players that can play multiple positions, just because they are typed in as a 4 does not mean they are going to be post up players with there backs to the basket, defensively they are going to have to be physical and have the ability to guard a 4 or they are not going to get playing time.

Agreed. I prefer long athletes who can hit 3s at the 4, which is exactly what Ihnen and Mitchel are from what I can tell. They certainly aren't guards though.

What are our chances with this kid? 33%? 50%?

It seems to me there's a big niche for a mid-range game now. Kids either want to get to the rim or stand on the perimeter and chuck up threes. The Terrell Brandon type game is really lacking. Agree?

It's an inefficient shot. Good teams will give you that shot all game.

Even if you're strong in the midrange (~50%), that would be equal to shooting 33% from 3. The pull up midrange shot also has a negative impact on defense. They often provide for long rebounds and there is 1 less person back (shooter).

What are our chances with this kid? 33%? 50%?
I'd say under 20% if I had to guess. Walton has no shortage of blue blood offers and is probably just waiting to see where he will get the most PT.

Keyser is right in that no official is a bad look. Looking at it objectively no official visit means he isn't really all that committed or interested at least right now. I think both us fans and Pitino are sick of getting strung out by top tier local talent just because we're the "local school" i.e. Dawson Garcia, Matthew Hurt, and others.

Walton committing here would be an extremely pleasant surprise and none of us should expect it in the slightest.

Last edited:

Even if you're strong in the midrange (~50%), that would be equal to shooting 33% from 3. The pull up midrange shot also has a negative impact on defense. They often provide for long rebounds and there is 1 less person back (shooter).
Layups and 3’s are the most efficient shots by the math. And like Bob said transition defense can break down more easily. The rules/strategy/philosophy is pretty defined how you are defending on layups and 3’s misses and makes.
Midrange: what’s he going to do? Should I cut to the basket, stay outside of 3, crash for a put back, are they about to double team him, is his dribble dead .... million questions.
All dependent how good the guy is at making decisions. Can your team adapt, is it effective?
But a few run outs for easy baskets and it’s demoralizing. Not to mention overcoming the deficit.
Certainly do not want multiple guys doing it unless it’s what you do.

Walton is the guy I've wanted most out of this class (even more than Garcia). His game is tailor made for college and he'll play 3-4 years guaranteed. I think if Dain can figure it out he's going to dominate as much as Dawson too. Glad the gophers are still keeping out hope. Obviously they haven't been told no yet and they should continue to pursue. Who knows what can happen this winter.

Agreed. However I would say it's not a bad thing to be able to do well. Knocking down a few mid-range jumpers could open up other parts of your game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...en-Four-star-Minnesota-commits-131446744/Amp/

Okay, I can’t find the short video where he expands on what he says in this piece. I am not arguing what position he should play. He absolutely considers himself a guard.

I found Pitino quotes saying he doesn’t know what position to play him. He referred to him as a guard. Quotes that Ihnen is extremely versatile. He can play all the positions etc.

Quotes from Ihnen that he does not like playing in the paint etc

Lots of comments alluding to Ihnen discussing with Pitino he’s a guard. Pitino saying he’s open to his versatility.

Etc. https://gophersports.com/news/2019/4/24/mens-basketball-isaiah-ihnen-inks-nli-with-gophers.aspx

STrib: No Murphy. No Curry. Where do the Gophers go at power forward this year?

WILD CARD

Isaiah Ihnen 6-9 210 freshman – Ihnen was listed as a four-star power forward by recruiting sites in the Gophers’ 2019 class, but he admits to shying away from action in the paint. His true position is on the wing. He loves shooting three-pointers and getting out to finish in transition. Pitino likely won’t ask the German native to play much out of his comfort zone yet. But Ihnen’s length (7-4 wingspan) might come in handy defensively against long and athletic opposing frontcourts. Not too much should be judged off Minnesota’s foreign tour to Italy, but Ihnen did have 19 points, four rebounds, three steals and a block in 23 minutes as a starting forward vs. Tuscan Select.

Last edited:

I'd say under 20% if I had to guess. Walton has no shortage of blue blood offers and is probably just waiting to see where he will get the most PT.

Keyser is right in that no official is a bad look. Looking at it objectively no official visit means he isn't really all that committed or interested at least right now. I think both us fans and Pitino are sick of getting strung out by top tier local talent just because we're the "local school" i.e. Dawson Garcia, Michael Hurt, and others.

Walton committing here would be an extremely pleasant surprise and none of us should expect it in the slightest.

Doesn’t Michael get at least some minutes for us? ;)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...en-Four-star-Minnesota-commits-131446744/Amp/

Okay, I can’t find the short video where he expands on what he says in this piece. I am not arguing what position he should play. He absolutely considers himself a guard.

I found Pitino quotes saying he doesn’t know what position to play him. He referred to him as a guard. Quotes that Ihnen is extremely versatile. He can play all the positions etc.

Quotes from Ihnen that he does not like playing in the paint etc

Lots of comments alluding to Ihnen discussing with Pitino he’s a guard. Pitino saying he’s open to his versatility.

Etc. https://gophersports.com/news/2019/4/24/mens-basketball-isaiah-ihnen-inks-nli-with-gophers.aspx

STrib: No Murphy. No Curry. Where do the Gophers go at power forward this year?

WILD CARD

Isaiah Ihnen 6-9 210 freshman – Ihnen was listed as a four-star power forward by recruiting sites in the Gophers’ 2019 class, but he admits to shying away from action in the paint. His true position is on the wing. He loves shooting three-pointers and getting out to finish in transition. Pitino likely won’t ask the German native to play much out of his comfort zone yet. But Ihnen’s length (7-4 wingspan) might come in handy defensively against long and athletic opposing frontcourts. Not too much should be judged off Minnesota’s foreign tour to Italy, but Ihnen did have 19 points, four rebounds, three steals and a block in 23 minutes as a starting forward vs. Tuscan Select.

I know I’m splitting hairs here, but shying away from contact and playing from the wing doesn’t make you a guard in my opinion and none of those quotes come close to suggesting he would play point guard. Everyone has their own opinions of what positions are and whether or not they even exist, so no point in splitting hairs further, but I’d bet my bank account he will never be even one of the top 2 ball handlers on the floor for us. He has always mentioned that he models his game after Durant so I doubt he considers himself a guard, let alone a point guard. I think he has a really high ceiling as a 3/4.

Keyser is right in that no official is a bad look. Looking at it objectively no official visit means he isn't really all that committed or interested at least right now. I think both us fans and Pitino are sick of getting strung out by top tier local talent just because we're the "local school" i.e. Dawson Garcia, Matthew Hurt, and others.

I'd say 20% seems low.... i'd say 50/50.... But I am speculating as well

is he coming to the U? or is this another kid going to the barquette wadgers?

Super quiet on this front, just like Garcia. Not like Carlson when it was known that he was not coming here long before his announcement.

If it's 50/50 why hasn't he taken an official visit here then?
He can go on multiple unofficial visits anytime he desires to the Gophers. If he likes exploring why use up one of your 5 official visits to get $10 bucks gas money from the Gophers? Trip to North Carolina etc is closer to $1000 value.
I’m not sure why when someone is looking at 10 schools that not going on official to a school he has visited more than any other gets perceived as a negative?

I know I’m splitting hairs here, but shying away from contact and playing from the wing doesn’t make you a guard in my opinion and none of those quotes come close to suggesting he would play point guard. Everyone has their own opinions of what positions are and whether or not they even exist, so no point in splitting hairs further, but I’d bet my bank account he will never be even one of the top 2 ball handlers on the floor for us. He has always mentioned that he models his game after Durant so I doubt he considers himself a guard, let alone a point guard. I think he has a really high ceiling as a 3/4.
I also didn’t say he considers himself a point guard. But he does consider himself a guard.
Like Coffey liked the invitation to try point guard from Pitino so did Ihnen appreciate the same opportunity from Pitino. Not that it was
the only position he likes or was promised to play. Just that Ihnen liked the openness of Pitino to give him the chance because like he did Coffey.
Never is a long time. I’d agree he will not get the opportunity this year. But if he ever gets playing time and confidence I can see it happening on occasion.
It depends on his teammates, the game, the opponent but Kevin Durant is a guard quite often in my eyes. He’s on top with the ball orchestrating the offense and often the action is him shooting, but he drives and kicks, he drives and scores. That would be a guard by my definition.
Is Lebron a guard? He is to me the last couple years.

Top Bottom