All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I believe I remember Minn, NC, Kansas, Arizona and ?
I should’ve taken a screen shot. So, either the five aren’t valid or Sisk released too early.

I believe I remember Minn, NC, Kansas, Arizona and ?
I should’ve taken a screen shot. So, either the five aren’t valid or Sisk released too early.

It was KU, Ohio St, MN, Arizona and UNC

So in other words, just another Minn player putting the Gophers on his “final __ list” with zero intention of picking them.

anyone know if we even have a shot at Walton? Not getting my hopes up since we can't seem to keep the top talent home.

As long as we get a decent player to stack with Mitchell and Mashburn I will be happy with the 2020 class but adding Walton would be NUTS.

anyone know if we even have a shot at Walton? Not getting my hopes up since we can't seem to keep the top talent home.

As long as we get a decent player to stack with Mitchell and Mashburn I will be happy with the 2020 class but adding Walton would be NUTS.

I'm clueless in terms of information, but this is either he is really taking his time to figure it out and/or he's waiting to see who leaves and if blue blood offers reappear in the spring. I'm going to credit him and his family for keeping this thing pretty quiet. I think that's a good thing. Local recruiting needs to turn around.

I'm clueless in terms of information, but this is either he is really taking his time to figure it out and/or he's waiting to see who leaves and if blue blood offers reappear in the spring. I'm going to credit him and his family for keeping this thing pretty quiet. I think that's a good thing. Local recruiting needs to turn around.

The blue bloods change in a flash, why not wait and see who is going to return, who enters the draft and what the new recruits end up signing for those schools, makes it tough for all non blue bloods though.

Kerwin has acknowledged that the Gophers are making him their number one recruiting priority at this time, now how much that equates to a commitment is unknown. He has stated that our current roster and recruiting class has not discouraged him from the possibility of joining our team. Seems like he wants to review his top teams closely throughout the season and will decide in spring once the obvious choice becomes clear to him. We have some tough competition though from the other schools involved, he would likely have to buy into the staying home to represent the state mantra.

My 2 cents fwiw:

Before this year, free flowing MN aau players did not enjoy watching us due to the grind it out high low offense we had to use due to Murph being our 4 man.

Now, we can try to play a 4 man who can shoot, we can use a more spread offense plan which can utilize more wing and guard talent.

What this means to us getting higher end player? Idk. We have to prove the prospects that we can play an open, 3 guard offense and be successful in it.

Being successful this year w a 3 guard offense can only be good for prospects like walton, Holloway, aligbe, carter, heide

My 2 cents fwiw:

Before this year, free flowing MN aau players did not enjoy watching us due to the grind it out high low offense we had to use due to Murph being our 4 man.

Now, we can try to play a 4 man who can shoot, we can use a more spread offense plan which can utilize more wing and guard talent.

What this means to us getting higher end player? Idk. We have to prove the prospects that we can play an open, 3 guard offense and be successful in it.

Being successful this year w a 3 guard offense can only be good for prospects like walton, Holloway, aligbe, carter, heide
I agree with you on offense but we don’t have a 4 that can shoot. Demir won’t be here next year and even this year he’s chucked some up that have gone in but..:.
Freeman and Mitchell are not shooters.
I’d say he is more likely looking at two factors:
Will Pitino be the coach?
Will Oturu be a Gopher next year?
If both were yes, we likely are legit.
My guess, if Oturu is NBA bound Walton would go elsewhere.
Ihnen could be a 4 who can shoot but was recruited as a guard with a promise he’d get some looks at point guard. Right now I think he’d be happy to just get on the court.

Mitchell does have an outside game he wants to play on the wing but hard to count on freshman for that i suppose

I agree with you on offense but we don’t have a 4 that can shoot. Demir won’t be here next year and even this year he’s chucked some up that have gone in but..:.
Ihnen could be a 4 who can shoot but was recruited as a guard with a promise he’d get some looks at point guard. Right now I think he’d be happy to just get on the court.
Just a few thoughts on your post:

Mitchell can shoot. Here's a report on him:
One of the summer's breakout prospects, Mitchell showed tremendous growth since we first saw him two years ago.
Thin and skilled, Mitchell runs the floor like a guard and is a high level athlete with plus agility, bounce and body control. He can shoot the three-pointer, he puts the ball on the floor and he fits the new age game where you want as many players capable of stretching defenses on the floor at the same time.

Demir- I don't view him as a pure shooter, but so far - he can shoot. He is 7-15 from 3 point range.
Ihnen- I have never heard anything that he was ever promised time a the point. He is a 3/4.

Bottom line- I think that in Ihnen and Mitchell we will have a couple 4s that can shoot. I am not tossing in the towel on Curry either.

Honestly I have been disappointed w demir so far.

However.....he has shown he can shoot. I have this gut feeling (and I think Pitino does too) that if demir can start to feel the flow of the game more, he can be very good in the high pick and roll and pulling the opponents 4 man outside ala Michigan all those years w john beilein

Idk...just a gut feeling

Just a few thoughts on your post:

Mitchell can shoot. Here's a report on him:
One of the summer's breakout prospects, Mitchell showed tremendous growth since we first saw him two years ago.
Thin and skilled, Mitchell runs the floor like a guard and is a high level athlete with plus agility, bounce and body control. He can shoot the three-pointer, he puts the ball on the floor and he fits the new age game where you want as many players capable of stretching defenses on the floor at the same time.

Demir- I don't view him as a pure shooter, but so far - he can shoot. He is 7-15 from 3 point range.
Ihnen- I have never heard anything that he was ever promised time a the point. He is a 3/4.

Bottom line- I think that in Ihnen and Mitchell we will have a couple 4s that can shoot. I am not tossing in the towel on Curry either.
Well, I won’t argue that he can’t shoot in warmups given time to gather.
In the maybe 10 videos I have watched on YouTube of his game hilights including this season, he is a long ways from Big Ten ready at any position. He is tall, long and athletic but certainly not a shooter. He can shoot given time...maybe different but similar to Demir but less confident. 15 attempts to date from 3 is not exactly my idea. (2 of the 7 makes are off the backboard so I don’t believe at 30 attempts we are near 50% but if he is hallelujahs. Neither guy will ever be Joey for instance.
I’m just telling you what I read and heard Ihnen say on video. If you wanna think I make stuff up, fine.

Well, I won’t argue that he can’t shoot in warmups given time to gather.
In the maybe 10 videos I have watched on YouTube of his game hilights including this season, he is a long ways from Big Ten ready at any position. He is tall, long and athletic but certainly not a shooter. He can shoot given time...maybe different but similar to Demir but less confident. 15 attempts to date from 3 is not exactly my idea. (2 of the 7 makes are off the backboard so I don’t believe at 30 attempts we are near 50% but if he is hallelujahs. Neither guy will ever be Joey for instance.
I’m just telling you what I read and heard Ihnen say on video. If you wanna think I make stuff up, fine.
I'm not saying you made it up- I have just never heard it before nor do I think it is likely. He is going to play where he fits. If he plays point guard at some point, well that will be amazing at 6-9.

Holmgren did not play versus Hopkins for those wondering on his absence from the stat leaders.

Top Bottom