All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I think this is the main reason, not sure why the attraction of Madison though,I would think Northwestern if you can get a scholarship and get in would be a much bigger draw. I also think this is part of the Marquette attraction.

It’s a big ten school, easy drive, and for kids not getting an athletic scholarship it’s cheaper than any other big ten or similar school other than the U due to reciprocity.

Kind of except that Michigan is much more difficult to get into then UW or Minnesota. Nearly 50 % of applicants at UW and Minnesota get in.

except many MN people have a skewed sense of how strong WI is as the acceptance rate is much lower for MN residents due to reciprocity.

except many MN people have a skewed sense of how strong WI is as the acceptance rate is much lower for MN residents due to reciprocity.
Understand that . Also know that for years that the perception was that UW was the better school but that simply is not true. Now, the campus atmosphere is another thing and falls into the pile of why athletes pick schools. If staying home is not the top priority then they generally pick the best program-coach offer that comes with playing time and a path to the final 4 and NBA

School degree reputation is all dependent upon what major you study. It is all a joke for the “athletes“ that choose some bogus major or never finish school.

School degree reputation is all dependent upon what major you study. It is all a joke for the “athletes“ that choose some bogus major or never finish school.
What about the coaches that actually recruit academically driven athletes. What about schools that do not have a tract for athletes. What about the Brogdon types that flood to his school. There are tons of athletes looking for a huge academic piece. Of course what major you study matters but society does value a degree from the best schools more and both their undergrads and grads average more income. We have had several very serious student athletes here.

My experience is that school and degree gets you in the door, from that point it is performance.

What about the coaches that actually recruit academically driven athletes. What about schools that do not have a tract for athletes. What about the Brogdon types that flood to his school. There are tons of athletes looking for a huge academic piece. Of course what major you study matters but society does value a degree from the best schools more and both their undergrads and grads average more income. We have had several very serious student athletes here.
Of course their are many athletes that actually value the education and look for a specific degree. I was referring to the players that are only concerned about basketball and look at class as a distraction. You know, the like the players that go to UNC...lol.

Of course their are many athletes that actually value the education and look for a specific degree. I was referring to the players that are only concerned about basketball and look at class as a distraction. You know, the like the players that go to UNC...lol.
Some have gone to UNC that cared, some did not. They cheated, we know what that looks like.

LOL. Not in big time football and basketball.

Come on, you aren't fooling anybody. Let's be real. Most kids that are playing D1 revenue sports are going there mostly for sports. If they are truly interested in studies before athletics, they go D2 or more likely D3.

LOL. Not in big time football and basketball.

Come on, you aren't fooling anybody. Let's be real. Most kids that are playing D1 revenue sports are going there mostly for sports. If they are truly interested in studies before athletics, they go D2 or more likely D3.
Most athletes, your right but that leaves too many great student athletes mentioned in a group they do not belong with. There are programs turning out kids with Masters achievement in schools really hard to get into and they are still winning championships.

UW-Madison is the playground for upper middle class and above from Chicago burbs, MSP burbs, wealthy East Coast kids that missed on their top schools, and beneficiaries of the hot Shanghai real estate market.

Its a great school but UMN has nothing to apologize for.
I imagine there are a lot of wealthy Chinese at the U as well. Chinese university slots are incredible competitive. Lot of kids over there that want college, and not enough schools. So they come here (the US and Canada), both by choice and necessity.

Most athletes, your right but that leaves too many great student athletes mentioned in a group they do not belong with. There are programs turning out kids with Masters achievement in schools really hard to get into and they are still winning championships.
National Championships In Football and Basketball? Which schools please? Because what I see time and again are the cheater schools winning titles. One and dones, kids that major in televsion watching or possibly don't attend classes at all.

Can we just make a different thread on "all things where random kids should attend school"? I'd love to actually see some Walton recruiting news and every time this thread gets bumped, it's what I come expecting. Mods would be appreciated if this could get cleaned up

Every public Big Ten school is, frankly. Michigan I think is a top 10 school in the world, both academic reputation as well as research.
Agreed. Every public Big Ten is second fiddle to Michigan. That said, Wisconsin does attract wealthy Chicago, Minneapolis and East Coast kids who did not make it into their first tier of schools. The same could be said of Michigan - except that most of the kids going there would consider Michigan to be in their "first tier" of schools, albeit toward the bottom. Didn't make it into Columbia, guess I'll go to Michigan. Next down the list is Wisconsin. From there, I don't think any other Big Ten school holds any particular attraction unless there are special dynamics at play (example: if you are really interested in engineering/comp sci/physics - basically all things tech - then UIUC would look quite appealing). Basically no rich kid from Boston or NYC is saying "Didn't make it into Columbia, guess I'll go to Minnesota or Iowa or Nebraska."

National Championships In Football and Basketball? Which schools please? Because what I see time and again are the cheater schools winning titles. One and dones, kids that major in televsion watching or possibly don't attend classes at all.
Let me help.
UVA. Tony Bennett. Brogdon.
And, personal favorite, never said that.

Can we just make a different thread on "all things where random kids should attend school"? I'd love to actually see some Walton recruiting news and every time this thread gets bumped, it's what I come expecting. Mods would be appreciated if this could get cleaned up
double and triple like, I want to read about Walton!

Agreed. Every public Big Ten is second fiddle to Michigan. That said, Wisconsin does attract wealthy Chicago, Minneapolis and East Coast kids who did not make it into their first tier of schools. The same could be said of Michigan - except that most of the kids going there would consider Michigan to be in their "first tier" of schools, albeit toward the bottom. Didn't make it into Columbia, guess I'll go to Michigan. Next down the list is Wisconsin. From there, I don't think any other Big Ten school holds any particular attraction unless there are special dynamics at play (example: if you are really interested in engineering/comp sci/physics - basically all things tech - then UIUC would look quite appealing). Basically no rich kid from Boston or NYC is saying "Didn't make it into Columbia, guess I'll go to Minnesota or Iowa or Nebraska."
Yes I believe that. Good post!

People relax. 12 pages ... and nothing is happening on this kid's recruitment.

Let us have a little detour, is it really pissing in your cheerios that much??

analytics will tell you which schools trend toward top ath and students go to UW. It's not North or Patrick Henry

Reactions: ltf

People relax. 12 pages ... and nothing is happening on this kid's recruitment.

Let us have a little detour, is it really pissing in your cheerios that much??

When people see there is a new post in a thread that is supposed to be specifically about Walton's recruitment, they assume there is news about his recruitment. When they see the posts are about something totally unrelated, it's a bit of a let down. You can have the exact same conversation in another thread while not misleading people into thinking there is news about our biggest target.

Top Bottom