All Things DinkyTown Athletes

Yep.....key is doing enough to keep guys from wanting to go test the free agent market. Contrary to what some believe all players are not going to go to the highest bidder and there are other factors that still matter to guys in terms of where they play above and beyond the amount of pay for play money they are getting.
I've had opportunities to chase more money but chose to stay for a little bit less pay knowing what my role is and the amount of flexibility I have in my position. The job itself is pretty darn critical and the people I'm working with are equally critical. It is the whole package. I just need to know I'm being taken care of - I don't need it to be obscene.

Yep.....key is doing enough to keep guys from wanting to go test the free agent market. Contrary to what some believe all players are not going to go to the highest bidder and there are other factors that still matter to guys in terms of where they play above and beyond the amount of pay for play money they are getting.
I agree with that, but you have to have the ability to give them something meaningfull. I think you are saying that as well.

OK.

If you’re so convinced that “it worked”, then what was the raise for each player from their 2022 contract to their 2023 contract?

Taylor, Jackson, Walker, and Brosmer we will assume takes over AK’s 2022 deal.

What was the merit raise, boss?

100% ? That would certainly seem like “it worked” is valid.

25%? 50% Maybe.

5% 10%? Hmm.

My wild guess is on the lower end. But I don’t know jack S, and my guess is that neither does anyone else except DTA, the athletic dept, and the players.

Would guess they’re required sign a non-reveal/confidentiality clause too. Don’t want the numbers getting out!

OK.

If you’re so convinced that “it worked”, then what was the raise for each player from their 2022 contract to their 2023 contract?

25%? 50% Maybe.

5% 10%? Hmm.

My wild guess is on the lower end. But I don’t know jack S, and my guess is that neither does anyone else except DTA, the athletic dept, and the players.

Would guess they’re required sign a non-reveal/confidentiality clause too. Don’t want the numbers getting out!
No one claimed to know and we're just speculating.

Agree. The marketing and advertising has not been great. It seems they've targeted only hard-core Gopher fans and people who most likely already are giving to NIL.

Maybe the strib could do an article on the collective, how the returning players have rallied around it, and how folks in the state can support the cause.

Wishful thinking.

OK.

25%? 50% Maybe.

5% 10%? Hmm.

Honest question - what would the benefit be of sharing what DTA is providing to each individual player?

Follow up - do we know of any NIL Collective in the country that is sharing that information?

Maybe the strib could do an article on the collective, how the returning players have rallied around it, and how folks in the state can support the cause.

Wishful thinking.
Maybe we can trick fox 9 into thinking we are doing something wrong so that they will do one of their hard hitting investigative pieces and actually end up promoting DTA.....worth a try.

Honest question - what would the benefit be of sharing what DTA is providing to each individual player?

Follow up - do we know of any NIL Collective in the country that is sharing that information?
Goid points. Not sure many people share what they are making if they don't have too (unless # is huge, lol).

@Lou Brown that’s a heck of a question.

I’m sure that if they could, NFL GM’s would prevent people from knowing the terms of their deals.

Thankfully they can’t. The exact same should be true in FBS. Every deal’s dollar figure of every player on every team should e required to be public information.

@Lou Brown that’s a heck of a question.

I’m sure that if they could, NFL GM’s would prevent people from knowing the terms of their deals.

Thankfully they can’t. The exact same should be true in FBS. Every deal’s dollar figure of every player on every team should e required to be public information.

Why stop there? Make every person’s income public.

They likely stay for less and knowing they are the starter.
Not if it is a significant amount less. Sorry I dont buy it.

The truth is the vast majority of the players are getting paid very little. Schools throwing around 6 or 7 figures for players are the exception not the rule. I am sure what DTA is offering is more than competitive.

I think it was a 1.0 Ltr for $19.99
Not from a liquor distributor...but it will likely be the same price as some of the decent stuff. (well above rail)

I still bartend part time and most local vodkas suck but I have heard good things about it. I believe I bought their seltzer and it was pretty solid.

I know you are a duckies and binnies guy and I respect that...but if the numbers were anywhere close to as bad as people around here pretend they are all our top guys would be leaving if offered better money. You only have a short time to make that kind of cash...

Thankfully that isn't the case though. DTA is making waves.

Why would you share that information as in the scheme of things it provides no benefit to the process or your ability to negotiate with individual players.

It's no different in a sense than everyone's daily job. If you have a great year at work and delivered some exceptional value to the organization. You are then rewarded with a sizable raise or bonus. Are you then going out and advertising the details and amount to your coworkers?

Last edited:

I know you are a duckies and binnies guy and I respect that...but if the numbers were anywhere close to as bad as people around here pretend they are all our top guys would be leaving if offered better money. You only have a short time to make that kind of cash...

Thankfully that isn't the case though. DTA is making waves.
They are definitely doing something right because nearly all of the key guys seem to be coming back which is awesome.

Not if it is a significant amount less. Sorry I dont buy it.

The truth is the vast majority of the players are getting paid very little. Schools throwing around 6 or 7 figures for players are the exception not the rule. I am sure what DTA is offering is more than competitive.
I am skeptical about the numbers being tossed around considering nobody throwing them around has a incentive to be honest.

Having said that whatever is "significant amount" vs starting and chasing your dream ... might be way different for different people. Everyone measures risk and pros and cons differently and differently at different times too.

I am skeptical about the numbers being tossed around considering nobody throwing them around has a incentive to be honest.

Having said that whatever is "significant amount" vs starting and chasing your dream ... might be way different for different people. Everyone measures risk and pros and cons differently and differently at different times too.
Yep....too often fans just assume players are going to the highest bidder. And while that is definitely the case sometimes, a smart player is looking at more than just the dollar signs and making sure they put themselves in the best position for success not just a quick payday.

Not from a liquor distributor...but it will likely be the same price as some of the decent stuff. (well above rail)

I still bartend part time and most local vodkas suck but I have heard good things about it. I believe I bought their seltzer and it was pretty solid.
I'm trying so so hard not to be THAT guy, but you do not bartend. You tend bar. Wow, I got triggered there for a moment. Now back to your regular scheduled program.

I'm trying so so hard not to be THAT guy, but you do not bartend. You tend bar. Wow, I got triggered there for a moment. Now back to your regular scheduled program.
Are you related to Big Grammar?

@MNVCGUY I know you’re way too smart to fall for that circular logic. Unless you want to fall for it, which you can do you.

Every single one of Walley, D Jackson, and Ersery was on the team in 2022 and …. *holy S!* came back to the team in 2023!! Whoaaaaa!!

They would’ve come back from 23 to 24 if DTA didn’t even exist.

Coming back to the team, when you have eligibility left and aren’t looking at leaving early for the NFL ……. is just expected. It’s just normal.

It doesn’t need any announcement.

This stuff is off the rails and down the side of the mountain, right now.

Can you imagine NFL players putting out Tweets saying “Hey everyone, I’m coming back to the team!! To fulfill the 2nd year of my 5 year contract!!”

Coming back to the team, when you have eligibility left and aren’t looking at leaving early for the NFL ……. is just expected. It’s just normal.

It doesn’t need any announcement. This stuff is off the rails and down the side of the mountain, right now.

The first sentence would make sense if there weren't over a thousand players FBS players who entered the transfer portal just this week. Then it makes perfect sense for players to announce that they are staying put. That should make fans of their team happier. Wonder if the players expected fans to scrutinize their statement like it was on international importance.

And yeah, the "stuff is off the rails".

If you’re leaving the team, you make an announcement. Thank the coaches, fans, God, etc.

If you’re not leaving, then no announcement needed. You’ll just be — of course — assumed coming back.

That’s how it has worked just fine with transferring for many years. Transferring is not new

Top Bottom