All Things DinkyTown Athletes

20% of profit or revenue ... either way is the process relying on retailers to accurately report their
sales? and then responsibly submit the proper amount?
I suppose if someone actually keeps track of product shipped and verifies amounts submitted it's possible but I'm guessing there will be significant spillage into the retailers register of the 20%.
And then that accounting person needs to be a volunteer or we are running the risk of being in the red.
Like any other retailer, liquor stores and bars and restaurants buy their products and then sell them. They're not consignment shops.

20% of profit or revenue ... either way is the process relying on retailers to accurately report their
sales? and then responsibly submit the proper amount?
No, it is not reliant on the retailers because the donation is calculated based on Grey Duck’s revenue, not the retailers.
I suppose if someone actually keeps track of product shipped and verifies amounts submitted it's possible but I'm guessing there will be significant spillage into the retailers register of the 20%.
It is a business, I am confident they have systems in place to track their sales to retailers. All businesses do this, especially in the liquor industry and especially, especially where they will be making a large donation based on those sales.
And then that accounting person needs to be a volunteer or we are running the risk of being in the red.
Worst case scenario for DTA is that Grey Duck doesn’t make a single sale and there is no revenue and no donation. There isn’t any financial risk that DTA runs “in the red.” Grey Duck could lose money, I suppose, but they are doing this to support Gopher athletics and/or as a marketing opportunity for their brand.

You don’t think they will know how much product they shipped places and then how much remains to know how much was sold?

The maker of this beer is a company. It isn’t a DTA volunteer brewing in his basement.
So, you think the delivery driver is doing inventory for the retailer?
Is he then collecting a check too?
Come on man! It's not how it works in the real world.
Sounds simple, it ain't.

No, it is not reliant on the retailers because the donation is calculated based on Grey Duck’s revenue, not the retailers.

It is a business, I am confident they have systems in place to track their sales to retailers. All businesses do this, especially in the liquor industry and especially, especially where they will be making a large donation based on those sales.

Worst case scenario for DTA is that Grey Duck doesn’t make a single sale and there is no revenue and no donation. There isn’t any financial risk that DTA runs “in the red.” Grey Duck could lose money, I suppose, but they are doing this to support Gopher athletics and/or as a marketing opportunity for their brand.
You are not living in reality. Any experience at all fundraising or in retail? The liquor stores are not paying in advance.
You have a small percentage in any area of business who voluntarily follow guidelines and pay on time. The majority need some encouragement and another group you fight with. It's just how it is.

Here is the simple answer: We disagree. If the program is in place next football season...I was wrong.

Last edited:

Like any other retailer, liquor stores and bars and restaurants buy their products and then sell them. They're not consignment shops.
What business are you in? I owned a couple restaurants/bars. I paid after the fact. I returned what didn't sell because it was beyond the freshness date and they didn't want customers buying skunky beer. You sign for it on delivery. You pay for it in the future.
Most any business is on 30/60 days. Most any business has the option to return product or at the very least exchange.
Consignment by definition....no. On credit...yes.

So, you think the delivery driver is doing inventory for the retailer?
Is he then collecting a check too?
Come on man! It's not how it works in the real world.
Sounds simple, it ain't.

Hahaha. They aren’t consigning it. You’re a clown.

They sell it to the store. They know how much they sold. 20% goes to DTA. The store is then responsible for the merchandise.

The biggest question is do they get 20% if I pay $14 for a can at HBS? 🤔

I put this in another post, but it just makes too much sense to not try something like it for our NIL funds, unless Minnesota tax laws prohibit it.

At Cubs games they have a 50/50 raffle with people canvassing in the stands and concourses during every game at Wrigley (and if you live in Illinois you can now contribute/play online too, so there doesn't even need to be a game), with half the pot going to the holder of a winning ticket, and the other half going to Cubs charities. Why couldn't they do that at every home game for every sport to support the Dinkytown Athletes collective, which, like Cubs Charities, is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization? Seems people would love the lottery-like aspect where they can potentially take home some cash, while also feeling good about contributing to Gopher athletics.

I put this in another post, but it just makes too much sense to not try something like it for our NIL funds, unless Minnesota tax laws prohibit it.

At Cubs games they have a 50/50 raffle with people canvassing in the stands and concourses during every game at Wrigley (and if you live in Illinois you can now contribute/play online too, so there doesn't even need to be a game), with half the pot going to the holder of a winning ticket, and the other half going to Cubs charities. Why couldn't they do that at every home game for every sport to support the Dinkytown Athletes collective, which, like Cubs Charities, is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization? Seems people would love the lottery-like aspect where they can potentially take home some cash, while also feeling good about contributing to Gopher athletics.

Have you messaged this idea to DTA?

Have you messaged this idea to DTA?
50/50 split pot raffles have to have some charitable purpose and benefit a 501.3 C charity with a license to sell from the MN Gambling Control board. I like the idea but I don't think NIL would qualify. Might work if some of the prizes where signed memorabilia items like footballs, or such instead of just cash.

50/50 split pot raffles have to have some charitable purpose and benefit a 501.3 C charity with a license to sell from the MN Gambling Control board. I like the idea but I don't think NIL would qualify. Might work if some of the prizes where signed memorabilia items like footballs, or such instead of just cash.
Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely no tax attorney, so I figured there are probably road blocks, but it doesn't mean they're insurmountable. DTA is a registered 501(c)(3), but does that mean there are different structures within that designation that allow some organizations to do certain things, but not others? Asking because I have no clue.

DTA has probably already explored something like this already for all I know, but I do think they need to get creative to engage people in ways beyond just a naked cash donation, which frankly doesn't feel very Minnesotan. If people can give something AND get something (memorabilia is a great example) that feels like a concept that has a higher likelihood of being embraced.

I like the split pot raffle idea, I just don't know how the prizes could or would work between DTA and winners. I know people that have worked in charitable gambling but not comfortable enough WCG to have all insight if your idea is feasible. Don't think you could do a 50/50 cash split without running into some legal issues. I think you could sell some memorabilia things and have silent auction. I mean could they do a stadium Bingo or seek raffeling off a donated truck? Doesn't bring in big donors but gives average fans a chance maybe.

Never mind, I found this, Both the beer and seltzers will be on sale at Top 10 Liquor and ValU Liquors near campus on Friday and quickly expand across the state from there.

I remember a raffle at a Gopher game in the first couple years of the dome. I want to say the prize was some sort of nice boat. They announced the winner at halftime. The reason I remember it is that the winner was Lou Nanne, and people kinda looked at each other wondering if the fix was in.

Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely no tax attorney, so I figured there are probably road blocks, but it doesn't mean they're insurmountable. DTA is a registered 501(c)(3), but does that mean there are different structures within that designation that allow some organizations to do certain things, but not others? Asking because I have no clue.

DTA has probably already explored something like this already for all I know, but I do think they need to get creative to engage people in ways beyond just a naked cash donation, which frankly doesn't feel very Minnesotan. If people can give something AND get something (memorabilia is a great example) that feels like a concept that has a higher likelihood of being embraced.
I believe that they filed paperwork under 501(c) initially as that is what other collectives were doing, but they are not operating as a charity. That is, in part, why any contributions you make to a collective are not tax deductible. So far, the IRS has taken the position that collectives aren’t charitable organizations. Hard to see that changing given the current way the collectives operate.

I did that at a Twins Game in August. It's kinda fun.

Has anyone tried the beer and is it actually good?

Has anyone bought the vodka? They sell/sold it at Hyvee a few years ago in Iowa. Not sure if they still do. I was afraid to buy it as it was a large cheap bottle.

Edit to add Iowa to it.
I have had the vodka. It’s nothing special, but it’s decent for the price and adequate for making mixed drinks.

Top Bottom