All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

So in summation, those Atlanta reporters were correct.
What thing are you talking about? The director of sports for Atlanta’s ABC station?

You’re comparing that to a little nothing Twitter account with less than 4k followers? Fake take

I don’t care if some nobody makes a wild guess and just happens to be right. Proves literally nothing.

As long as it doesn’t say JJ McCarthy aka Christian Ponder II, I’m good

Other than skin tone, I don't see any similarities between JJM and Ponder. Just continue to hear about the intangibles with JJM; the leadership, the command of the offense, the understanding of what the defense is trying to do.

Past Williams (who I'm not sold on the maturity level), I would go Maye, and then a coin flip between JJM and Daniels.

The Vikings could be thinking they can AFFORD to blow a lot of draft capital to move up for a QB, because they'll such an unGodly amount of cap space next year and beyond to fill roster holes around him. I think the price to move up for them is going to be staggering though.

Nope, more dishonesty from you.

Rand is the exact same thing as Reusse. Paid to cook up an opinion they think will sell. That’s not “the Strib”.

No doubt Kirk, Zim, and Speil weren’t on the same page, and no doubt Kirk, KOC, and KAM were on the same page. 2022 proves it

It’s unfortunate that ATL reset the market beyond what the Vikings were able to match, but is what it is. They wanted Kirk and the last ditch offer to keep him here proves it.
If the Vikings truly believed/wanted Cousins, he would have been in Minnesota until he retired.

Didn't get an extension last year. He was not interested in a year-to-year gig.

Those are essentially Cousins own words.

He gone.

I hate that movie
It’s a great hate watch movie, I would argue. Just utterly ridiculous sports tropes and cliches at play, along with the most asinine collection of GM’s who Matt Mullen would be embarrassed for. The sports movie version of “why are you going upstairs, the killer is in the house!” and I can’t deny its pull on me.

Other than skin tone, I don't see any similarities between JJM and Ponder. Just continue to hear about the intangibles with JJM; the leadership, the command of the offense, the understanding of what the defense is trying to do.

Past Williams (who I'm not sold on the maturity level), I would go Maye, and then a coin flip between JJM and Daniels.

The Vikings could be thinking they can AFFORD to blow a lot of draft capital to move up for a QB, because they'll such an unGodly amount of cap space next year and beyond to fill roster holes around him. I think the price to move up for them is going to be staggering though.
it’s just my personal opinion about McCarthy, but I don’t see him being someone who deserves to be drafted that high, aka a franchise QB.

He had one of the best (if not the best OLs) in college football and an excellent RB in Corum. I don’t think he won them many games and see him more in the game manager mode than someone who should go in the top 10; if you’re drafted that high I want you to be able to do that.

Following that logic, I think Jayden Daniels, could be the pick of the litter.

I’ve been wrong before and could be again.

It’s a great hate watch movie, I would argue. Just utterly ridiculous sports tropes and cliches at play, along with the most asinine collection of GM’s who Matt Mullen would be embarrassed for. The sports movie version of “why are you going upstairs, the killer is in the house!” and I can’t deny its pull on me.
It had a very unlikeable Wisconsin QB in the movie so it’s alright with me.

it’s just my personal opinion about McCarthy, but I don’t see him being someone who deserves to be drafted that high, aka a franchise QB.

He had one of the best (if not the best OLs) in college football and an excellent RB in Corum. I don’t think he won them many games and see him more in the game manager mode than someone who should go in the top 10; if you’re drafted that high I want you to be able to do that.

Following that logic, I think Jayden Daniels, could be the pick of the litter.

I’ve been wrong before and could be again.

You're wrong more than almost everyone on this board.

It's fair to question whether you think JJ McCarthy is a franchise QB, I think he is. But if anyone thinks JJ is similar to Ponder, you know absolutely nothing about football.

It’s a great hate watch movie, I would argue. Just utterly ridiculous sports tropes and cliches at play,

I think Rudy is vastly overrated as well.

It’s not like he was Brian Piccolo, for Pete’s Saje.
along with the most asinine collection of GM’s who Matt Mullen would be embarrassed for. The sports movie version of “why are you going upstairs, the killer is in the house!” and I can’t deny its pull on me.

OK - fun with math.

according to the NFL Trade Value Chart.....

#11 pick is worth 1,250 points
#23 pick is worth 760 points

add them up and you get 2,010 points

what could those two picks get you in a trade?

#3 pick is worth 2200 points
#4 pick is worth 1800 points.

In other words -
The Vikings could (theoretically) package the #11 and #23 picks in the 1st round and trade them to move up to at least the #4 pick, or throw in something else to move up to #3.

#3 guarantees you one of the top 3 QB's.
if the Vikes can't or won't trade up to #3, they have the draft capital to trade up as high as they need to get the QB of their choice.

Can see why a site all about Fantasy Football wouldn't like it. Here is the PFF review of the Vikings Free Agency moves:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Minnesota could be set to lose both Danielle Hunter and D.J. Wonnum on the edge, so getting younger with the talented Jonathan Greenard makes a lot of sense. Defensive coordinator Brian Flores will surely love Greenard’s ability against the run, in addition to a still-developing arsenal of pass-rush moves, with his super long arms keeping him clean against tackles as he turns the corner.

Cashman had a breakout 2023 season with the Houston Texans, flashing ability as a pass rusher and also looking smooth dropping and moving laterally in coverage. Minnesota brings the former Golden Gopher back to Minnesota, where he creates a fun tandem with 2023 undrafted rookie linebacker Ivan Pace Jr.

Van Ginkel reunites with Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores, who was his head coach for several years in Miami. We were not confident in how to approach Van Ginkel’s projection, given his injury history that trickled into this past season, but he was remarkably efficient as a pass rusher in 2023 and the advanced metrics alone certainly would’ve pointed to a stronger deal like the one he signed here.

PFF FREE AGENCY GRADE: A-

OK - fun with math.

according to the NFL Trade Value Chart.....

#11 pick is worth 1,250 points
#23 pick is worth 760 points

add them up and you get 2,010 points

what could those two picks get you in a trade?

#3 pick is worth 2200 points
#4 pick is worth 1800 points.

In other words -
The Vikings could (theoretically) package the #11 and #23 picks in the 1st round and trade them to move up to at least the #4 pick, or throw in something else to move up to #3.

#3 guarantees you one of the top 3 QB's.
if the Vikes can't or won't trade up to #3, they have the draft capital to trade up as high as they need to get the QB of their choice.
I wouldn't hesitate to even give up the 1st next year in addition for the two this to get to #3. With the cap space they should have next offseason, they can afford to not have top draft picks. Ideally they don't have to give up three 1st rounders but it wouldn't stop me from doing the trade either IMO.

I wouldn't hesitate to even give up the 1st next year in addition for the two this to get to #3. With the cap space they should have next offseason, they can afford to not have top draft picks. Ideally they don't have to give up three 1st rounders but it wouldn't stop me from doing the trade either IMO.
I'd rather trade #11, #23 and Addison for #3 if that's their target.

with the caveat that you have to have a willing trade partner.
looking at the draft order

#1 Bears - need a QB
#2 Washington - need a QB
#3 New England - need a QB
#4 Arizona - not in QB market
#5 Chargers - not in QB market
#6 Giants - need a QB
#7 Titans - not in QB market
#8 Atlanta - definitely not in QB market
#9 Bears - see #1
#10 Jets - not in QB market unless A-Rodge runs for VP
#11 Vikes

So IF the Vikes want McCarthy, and IF the Giants need a QB, the Vikes may have to move up to #4 or #5 to guarantee they can get McCarthy.

in other words, it comes down to this: can the Vikes offer enough to convince Arizona or the Chargers to make a deal? Or do they go rogue and try to move into the top 3?

For some moves, yes, I would agree 100%. The only issue I would have is, the wide range that next year's 1st rounder could be for the Vikings. A rough start, or a drafted QB that isn't ready for prime time, a tough division... a lot of factors could mean a 2025 1st round Vikings pick being in the 6-10 range. That's tough to take.

Things go well, the Vikings 1st rounder next year could be 22-25th. Normally you could say with some certainty that it wouldn't be a really high top 10 pick, but with the uncertainty going into this season, you just don't know that. Big gamble.

you got me sold

You're wrong more than almost everyone on this board.
I’m glad that you’re keeping track; I must be of significant importance in your life. I feel honored, humbled and unworthy all at the same time for this level of attention, poopsie.
It's fair to question whether you think JJ McCarthy is a franchise QB, I think he is. But if anyone thinks JJ is similar to Ponder, you know absolutely nothing about football.
He hasn’t played a down on the NFL yet, has he? Or did I miss something🤓?

Right now, neither of us is right or wrong, we simply have opinions as no DATA has been accumulated which proves either is correct/incorrect Time will tell as it always does Kiddo😉. So casting such a verdict (regarding my opinion on McCarthy) would seem to be premature.

This is a free anonymous chat board, so hopefully it doesn’t affect your mental health. My self-worth doesn’t rely on it; I’m good with my life and happy and grateful for all God’s Blessings - I hope you and everyone else, who I juvenilely spar with feel the same way.

Last edited:

The only thing worse than drafting a bust with your own pick is trading valuable draft capital to move up and draft a bust. The only QB with enough potential worthy of committing so many assets for is Daniels IMO.

For some moves, yes, I would agree 100%. The only issue I would have is, the wide range that next year's 1st rounder could be for the Vikings. A rough start, or a drafted QB that isn't ready for prime time, a tough division... a lot of factors could mean a 2025 1st round Vikings pick being in the 6-10 range. That's tough to take.

Things go well, the Vikings 1st rounder next year could be 22-25th. Normally you could say with some certainty that it wouldn't be a really high top 10 pick, but with the uncertainty going into this season, you just don't know that. Big gamble.
While I don't think the Vikes will be the 2023 Panthers, I have a hard time giving up the 2025 first rounder. Going all-in with a rookie QB or Darnold tells me the absolute ceiling for this team is likely 9-8, with a much more likely 6 to 8 wins. That nets a pretty good pick. There aren't a ton of CJ Stroud rookie years out there. Joe Burrow went 2-7 before he got injured his first year. Josh Allen went 5-6, Trevor Lawrence went 3-14 (yes, I know Urban Meyer...), Justin Herbert went 6-9, etc. Mahomes didn't start until his second year in the league.

I wouldn't. Addison's a really good player already. Drafts are always a crapshoot.
I don't dislike Addison, but assuming you're keeping Jefferson long-term, you're not keeping Addison long-term. And there's a pretty good chance next year's 1st round pick will be another top 15 pick. Perhaps even top 10.

Perhaps we're stockpiling picks to make Harbaugh an offer for Herbert that he can't refuse.

I’m glad that you’re keeping track; I must be of significant importance in your life. I feel honored, humbled and unworthy all at the same time for this level of attention, poopsie.

He hasn’t played a down on the NFL yet, has he? Or did I miss something🤓?

Right now, neither of us is right or wrong, we simply have opinions as no DATA has been accumulated which proves either is correct/incorrect Time will tell as it always does Kiddo😉. So casting such a verdict (regarding my opinion on McCarthy) would seem to be premature.

This is a free anonymous chat board, so hopefully it doesn’t affect your mental health. My self-worth doesn’t rely on it; I’m good with my life and happy and grateful for all God’s Blessings - I hope you and everyone else, who I juvenilely spar with feel the same way.

I think the only ones with mental health issues are the posters who post constantly all day every day like yourself.

It doesn't matter that JJ hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Comparing him to Ponder as a prospect is as lazy and stupid as comparing PJ Fleck to Tim Brewster.

Top Bottom