All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I don't dislike Addison, but assuming you're keeping Jefferson long-term, you're not keeping Addison long-term. And there's a pretty good chance next year's 1st round pick will be another top 15 pick. Perhaps even top 10.
We have Addison for cheap for years.

Last edited:

The only thing worse than drafting a bust with your own pick is trading valuable draft capital to move up and draft a bust. The only QB with enough potential worthy of committing so many assets for is Daniels IMO.

San Francisco did that for Trey Lance and despite him being a bust, the worst they've finished since is losing in the NFC Championship game.

You can't hit a HR without swinging the bat. I love that they might finally try and take that HR swing. The Vikings and every other franchise in this state have been settling for singles for way too long.

That's why we have the longest championship drought of any city with 4 major sports teams. The Wolves took a big swing with the Gobert trade, and now they're having their best season in 20 years.

Now the Vikings need to do the same on one of these QBs.

I don't dislike Addison, but assuming you're keeping Jefferson long-term, you're not keeping Addison long-term. And there's a pretty good chance next year's 1st round pick will be another top 15 pick. Perhaps even top 10.
Maybe. I just think having a sure thing is better than an unknown. It seems they are lining things up for 2025. I'd rather have a 3rd year guy over a rookie. And having as many weapons around a young QB as possible could help with his confidence and development.

I think a lot of NFL teams over accrue for that top 5 QBs (draft pck, not rated). if it happens organically, you get the rookie deal benefits that teams chase. However you give that back if you trade a bunch of firsts.

Seems like teams are chasing BS. I think I agree with @Ogee Ogilthorpe. You can grab a ton of value hanging onto your picks.

Get solid cores cheaply. That can include a high pick, QB, but it isn’t necessary.

I think a lot of NFL teams over accrue for that top 5 QBs (draft pck, not rated). if it happens organically, you get the rookie deal benefits that teams chase. However you give that back if you trade a bunch of firsts.

Seems like teams are chasing BS. I think I agree with @Ogee Ogilthorpe. You can grab a ton of value hanging onto your picks.

Get solid cores cheaply. That can include a high pick, QB, but it isn’t necessary.
This x1000

So friggin stupid to trade future firsts for a chance to draft the next Mac Jones or Justin Fields.

If you get it organically, fine.

The Athletic had an article on his close relationship to McCown, he coached Maye in college, and how the Vikes are really high on him.

Whatever they do, I sincerely hope it's for the guy that is #1 on their board if they move up. I struggle a little bit with moving into the top 5, wherever that is, and taking the 2nd or even 3rd QB on your board. Everyone's draft board is going to be completely different, I hope they are gunning for the guy that is #1 on their board. After that, let the chips fall where they may.

And to pile on to Slim's thoughts, this would mean I REALLY struggle with taking a considerably lesser option or choice at #23 or even in the 2nd round. Unless they LOVE that guy too.

4. Maye/McCarthy

Or

11. Turner/Murphy
23. Penix Jr/Nix
2025 First Round Pick

Way too easy for me.
I agree with the second option, at least with regard to the QB. I don't think it's worth moving up to #4, unless its simply for the #11 and #23 picks this year. But I think I'd prefer to gamble that JJM slides to #11 and if not, I think they have their pick of Penix/Nix at #23.

So much of the pre-draft hype has to be agent driven plus a combination of teams attempting to create mayhem and doubt for other teams. How does a guy like JJM, post season, rocket from marginal late first round to potentially a top 5? I'd love to see someone with much more time on their hand quantify the results of high first round picks whose draft stock rose quickly after the CFB season ended. How did those guys pan out?

Whatever they do, I sincerely hope it's for the guy that is #1 on their board if they move up. I struggle a little bit with moving into the top 5, wherever that is, and taking the 2nd or even 3rd QB on your board. Everyone's draft board is going to be completely different, I hope they are gunning for the guy that is #1 on their board. After that, let the chips fall where they may.

And to pile on to Slim's thoughts, this would mean I REALLY struggle with taking a considerably lesser option or choice at #23 or even in the 2nd round. Unless they LOVE that guy too.
Agree 100%. If we take DL (Turner or Murphy) at 11 and have a guy like Newton rated way above the available QB's, you have to stay true to your board at 23 as well.

1000%
If you’re going to go all in, you need to get your #1 guy or it doesn’t make any sense to me either.

I think they’ve shown some moxie moves, thus far, and just need to see it through and reap the benefits in 2-3 years with a club that has both a good offense and defense.
Ditto! The stars are aligned, SB L #5, here we come.

4. Maye/McCarthy

Or

11. Turner/Murphy
23. Penix Jr/Nix
2025 First Round Pick

Way too easy for me.
The Vikes didn't attend Nix's pro day. They traded to get another first round pick. They let Cousins walk without much attempt at keeping him. The numerous defensive signings in FA. The writing has been on the wall the entire time that they are all-in on maneuvering to get one of the top 4 rookie QB's. No matter how many times you post about drafting multiple DL's and/or second round QB's, it won't make it true.

This has been very calculated, much to my surprise. I was down on Kwesi, but this year he/the front office has been making very shrewd moves. If all of this was done just so they can draft Penix at 23, then they may as well throw in the towel as the front office will look like a Matt Millen redux.

Last edited:

for us, this is just a fun intellectual exercise. but for KAM and KOC, their jobs and their reputations are on the line.

So whatever they do, I have to assume that it is something they are very definite about. Yes, no one can be 100% sure about any draft pick. that's why teams scout players, research their backgrounds, do interviews, etc.

but bottom line, if KAM and KOC decide that McCarthy is "their guy," or Drake Maye is "their guy," then they should do whatever it takes to land "their guy." because they might not get another shot at it.

I think that #11 and #23 combined should be enough to move up ahead of the Giants and get one of the top 4 QB's. But - if those teams just say No to a trade, then you need to have a back-up plan - whatever that might be.

The Vikes didn't attend Nix's pro day. They traded to get another first round pick. They let Cousins walk without much attempt at keeping him. The numerous defensive signings in FA. The writing has been on the wall the entire time that they are all-in on maneuvering to get one of the top 4 rookie QB's. No matter how many times you post about drafting multiple DL's and/or second round QB's, it won't make it true.

This has been very calculated, much to my surprise. I was down on Kwesi, but this year he/the front office has been making very shrewd moves. If all of this is so they can draft Penix at 23, then they may as well throw in the towel ahead of time.
Doesn't change my opinion in the slightest as to what I think they should do. Next.

for us, this is just a fun intellectual exercise. but for KAM and KOC, their jobs and their reputations are on the line.

So whatever they do, I have to assume that it is something they are very definite about. Yes, no one can be 100% sure about any draft pick. that's why teams scout players, research their backgrounds, do interviews, etc.

but bottom line, if KAM and KOC decide that McCarthy is "their guy," or Drake Maye is "their guy," then they should do whatever it takes to land "their guy." because they might not get another shot at it.

I think that #11 and #23 combined should be enough to move up ahead of the Giants and get one of the top 4 QB's. But - if those teams just say No to a trade, then you need to have a back-up plan - whatever that might be.
I'm in the JJ camp. I saw way too much of Daniels at ASU to scare me off of him. Saw too many Maye games where he looked pedestrian. However, at the end of the day, if they love one of those top 4 guys, I'm all-in. Swing big and try to get one of the 4 elite guys and see where it goes!

To me the Vikings trading for the 23rd pick tell me they doing to package that and the 11 to get to the 3rd or 4th pick. Book it 100% book it. Vikings want Drake Maye and they will find a way to get him and no he won't be a bust as some think he is.

Last edited:

I'd love to see someone with much more time on their hand quantify the results of high first round picks whose draft stock rose quickly after the CFB season ended. How did those guys pan out?

I took a look at 2019 and in January, mocks consistently had Dewayne Haskins and Daniel Jones in the top 5, 10, etc and one I looked at had Kyler Murray taken with the last pick of Round 1 at #32. Murray has been up and down, but a damn site better than Haskins and Jones; the Daniel Jeremiah mock I looked at had Haskins going #6 overall.

To me the Vikings trading for the 23rd pick tell me they doing to package that and the 11 to get to the 3rd or 4th pick. Book it 100% book it.

I would take it even further and speculate that someone in the top 4-6 has told them that they will need a second 1st rounder this year to make the deal work if they want. And if you really want to speculate, that could have been possibly after the Vikings said they did NOT want to part with their 1st in 2025

To me the Vikings trading for the 23rd pick tell me they doing to package that and the 11 to get to the 3rd or 4th pick. Book it 100% book it. Vikings want Drake Maye and they will find a way to get him and no he won't be a bust as some think he is.

Yup. The only wild card would be is if they considered trading JJ for a top 4 pick. I don't think they'll actually do that, so they will do whatever else they need to do to move into the top 4.

All other scenarios don't matter at this point.

Top Bottom