All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This thread has begun a few weeks earlier than we’d like. Alas…

Huge off-season - what’s the future of QB1, Cousins, JJ, Hunter and more.

Skol Vikes!!

Can't sign JJ unless you agree to bring back Cousins.

That's easy.

Draft a QB with #1 pick.

Do the best you can with the rest of it. Draft better.

They are going to sign JJ to a long term deal and that signing will have nothing to do with Kirk. Jefferson has alway said that the QB decison is out of his hand. They need to trade up and get LSU Daniel. Will they bring back Kirk. Who know. If Kirk is asking for a lot of money the Vikings need to say no. the Wilfs need to back off and let KOC and the GM rebuild.

he Has no say on who the QB will be next year.
He is 100% able to say "I won't come back unless yall get Kirk back in here".

I believe he very much has made that opinion known to management.

And good. That is the correct move.

He is 100% able to say "I won't come back unless yall get Kirk back in here".

I believe he very much has made that opinion known to management.

And good. That is the correct move.
JJ also said last week that the QB thing is out of his hands and will be up to the GM and KOC.

If you believe they tried trade up for Richardson, then they'll be doing everything they can to get Maye, Daniels, or Williams. The Vikings have much better draft capital this year, and the QBs are much better than last year. They just need 1 of 3 teams to say yes because those three QBs will go 1, 2, 3.

JJ also said last week that the QB thing is out of his hands and will be up to the GM and KOC.
So?

He is a proper and respectful guy. You don't air the dirty laundry.

He has made it known he's not coming back without Kirk. And good

Literally no rookie would come in here and play that well.

Bryce Young

That's who we'd get, and pay a king's ransom to do it, if we trade up to top 3. Hopefully they're not that desperate and stupid.

They are going to sign JJ to a long term deal and that signing will have nothing to do with Kirk. Jefferson has alway said that the QB decison is out of his hand. They need to trade up and get LSU Daniel. Will they bring back Kirk. Who know. If Kirk is asking for a lot of money the Vikings need to say no. the Wilfs need to back off and let KOC and the GM rebuild.

If they trade up for a QB, Kirk will be gone.

There will be eight teams ahead of the Vikings in the 1st Round that need a QB. Williams, Maye (yuck), Daniels and Penix Jr all currently mocked by Tankathon to go by Pick #8 which seems likely at this point.

There will be eight teams ahead of the Vikings in the 1st Round that need a QB. Williams, Maye (yuck), Daniels and Penix Jr all currently mocked by Tankathon to go by Pick #8 which seems likely at this point.
Some in here will tell you Penix is a 2nd rounder!

Won’t come back under a new contract.

Didn’t need to be said, was obvious

here is the updated NFL draft order (from ESPN) -- along with whether they are in the QB market (based on ESPN info)

1. Bears (from Carolina) - Keep Fields or draft new QB?
2. Washington - may be hiring new GM, might want new QB to start over with
3. Patriots - likely to move on from Mac Jones
4. Arizona - do they tie the future to Kyler Murray, or ....?
5. LA Chargers - don't need a QB
6. NY Giants - GM says they will add a QB thru draft or free agency- but maybe not 1st round
7. Tennessee - pretty solid with Levis
8. Atlanta - likely to add a QB
9. Bears again - see #1 (but they won't take 2 QB's)
10. NY Jets - ARodg back but do they need a QB of the future?
11. Vikings - resign Cousins - draft new QB - or both?

----worth noting
12. Denver - needs a QB, could try to trade up (but with what?)
13. Vegas Raiders - need a QB, could try to trade up

at least 6 teams that draft above the Vikes either are definitely in the QB market or potentially in the QB market. so if the Vikes want one of the top 5 QB's, there's a good chance they will have to trade up. possible targets - Chargers at #5 or Titans at #7.

Pro Football Focus' mock draft has 4 QB's going in the first 9 picks. They have the Vikes taking Bo Nix of Oregon.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

According the draft value chart, to move from 11 to 3 would require either 2 second rounders or a first rounder (at the Vikes current spot). In theory worth it if you are convinced he’s “the guy”. However, the Pats are most assuredly moving on from Jones, which means you’ll likely either have to move up to 2 or overpay the Pats.

He was until the last two games he’s played. Now somebody will get wowed and overdraft him. That, plus the fact that the NFL is infatuated with a prospect with a “big arm”. There is nothing NFL GMs love more than measurables.
He's hyped now. Someone else will get hyped from the combine. In the end he'll be there when the Vikings pick most likely. If a QB they think is a franchise QB is there they should take them. Or they should trade up as needed.

Vikings safety Harrison Smith hints at retirement after season-ending loss to the Lions​

Safety Harrison Smith prepared for Sunday's 30-20 loss to the Lions to be his 175th and final start in a 12-year career for the Vikings.

Whether or not the 34-year-old Smith chooses to retire this offseason remains to be seen. But the veteran soaked in the last moments of the season with teammates in the visitors' locker room. He signed jerseys for guys he might never see again. He talked about the memories and the possibility of walking away.

He just didn't make a formal announcement. Because there will never be one from the stoic, understated safety whose pads always hit harder than his words.

"Whenever I retire, I'm not going to tell you," Smith said with a smirk. "You'll figure it out. I'll say this: It's hard to have the ability to play and not have a desire to play. Whatever that gives you, I'm not trying to be ominous or anything. Right now, my shoulder hurts."

Skol Vikes!!

Souhan: In season finale, Justin Jefferson leaves the Vikings a potent reminder of his value

I asked him whether he had an opinion on who should quarterback the Vikings in the future, and whether he would share his opinion with team management. "It's not really my question to really answer," he said. "It's up to management, up to the guys up in that front office. I'm always going to continue to be myself and play the way I play. Whoever it is, I'm going to continue to ball out."

The guess here is that the Vikings will pay Jefferson whatever it takes. Negotiations are tricky, but the Vikings sound determined to keep him, and Jefferson did nothing this season to indicate that he wants to leave.

Had someone asked Moss, Diggs or Carter to stand next to a trash can after a season-ending loss, that person might have ended up at the bottom of the barrel.

Jefferson didn't seem to mind.

Skol Vikes!!

Top Bottom