All Things 2019-2020 Other College Basketball Games Thread

Am sure many of us felt a little ashamed when Roy so eloquently berated us for questioning his middle school level curriculum. Also thankful for Sean Miller's denials despite being recorded offering money - too many of us on our high horse these days. As Coach Self himself non-answered when interviewed about stripperpolegate, "How's that for answering your frickin' question?". Shocking, just shocking, this would happen at KU.

Puzzles how the fan bases tolerate it. Sold their souls.
Just win, baby.

Interesting how Self/Weber have the Illinois link, Sunflower Showdown series and now this brawl. Forever intertwined.

Illini and Penn St. are pretty damn good. Both capable of Final 8 runs. You heard it here first.

Grandma Fran got a ridiculous whistle in the 2nd half to beat Rutgers and the Rutgers fans are rightly pissed (still RU missed a point blank lay up to force overtime). I don't understand why this guy gets such a beneficial whistle for his team, but that's two games in a row that have basically been stolen in Iowa City.

Grandma Fran got a ridiculous whistle in the 2nd half to beat Rutgers and the Rutgers fans are rightly pissed (still RU missed a point blank lay up to force overtime). I don't understand why this guy gets such a beneficial whistle for his team, but that's two games in a row that have basically been stolen in Iowa City.

To force overtime? Iowa won by 5 and the last contested play occurred 8 seconds left. That’s an imaginative narrative.

To force overtime? Iowa won by 5 and the last contested play occurred 8 seconds left. That’s an imaginative narrative.
Calling that a "contested play" is quite an imaginative narrative...he had an easy layup and missed. You're right though, they could have called another foul on Rutgers in those last 8 seconds, so I should have said possibly force overtime.

Does the IU coach have a Napoleon complex? Dude seems too proud to call a freaking timeout.

St Olaf loses when ref blows call on last second buzzer beater.

The article has a video clearly showing the blown call, and some interesting discussion about how refs should handle shots with less than one second on the clock, but I was particularly struck by the last paragraph:

"If there's a silver lining in any of this, it's the fact that St. Olaf is located in Minnesota, a state so well-versed in remarkable sports losses that this kind of thing likely just rolled off everyone's back within a day."

Not sure if I should be more worried about Sparty being pissed on Sunday if they lose a close one here? Or if we should be more concerned they will be galvanized by a huge road comeback and playing with momentum if they win?

Not sure if I should be more worried about Sparty being pissed on Sunday if they lose a close one here? Or if we should be more concerned they will be galvanized by a huge road comeback and playing with momentum if they win?
We need a 6 overtime win by MSU here.

Oh well. At least it shows that MSU is vulnerable on the road this year - just like everyone else in the B10.

I expect a dogfight and a great environment on Sunday!

MSU really struggled in its half-court sets. Partly a function of good IU defense. We shall see on Sunday.

St Olaf loses when ref blows call on last second buzzer beater.

The article has a video clearly showing the blown call, and some interesting discussion about how refs should handle shots with less than one second on the clock, but I was particularly struck by the last paragraph:

"If there's a silver lining in any of this, it's the fact that St. Olaf is located in Minnesota, a state so well-versed in remarkable sports losses that this kind of thing likely just rolled off everyone's back within a day."
I'd be interested to hear what their thinking was here.

Badgers winning at PU tonight would not necessarily be a bad thing once you get past the gag reflex.

Badgers winning at PU tonight would not necessarily be a bad thing once you get past the gag reflex.

I've never been able to get past the gag reflex. Hard for me to see how the Badgers getting a third road victory is good for anyone but the Badgers.

I've never been able to get past the gag reflex. Hard for me to see how the Badgers getting a third road victory is good for anyone but the Badgers.

Holy Man, sometimes we need to bite the bullet for the betterment of the Gophers!

Wisconsin is going to make the tournament, because that's what they do. Purdue is the most iffy of the Big Ten bubble teams, and the one the Gophers are most likely to be in competition with for an at-large bid, if it came down to that. We don't want Purdue to get any mojo going, especially because they beat us.

Go Badgers (cough, cough, barf)!

Bad-gers only score 15 in the first half vs Purdue. Boilers leading 33-15 at the half. I'm hoping for a repeat in the 2nd half.

Too bad, Michigan could have put the game against Illinois away at the end but they could not make a free throw.

Too bad, Michigan could have put the game against Illinois away at the end but they could not make a free throw.

Good result for us, could be us or Michigan that are among the last 4 in for the tournament. That Illinois game next week is going to be tricky. That’ll be a big one for our shooters as I’m sure they’ll be face guarding Carr like Rutgers did. Seems like Illinois’ back to fulfilling their potential...super talented team. Got two more great guards coming in next year.

Had a tremendous time at the Gopher game in Columbus. Super hosts. The game was something I waited a very long time to see. Below average shooting night on the road and still win because of low turnovers and great defense. That is how you pile up wins and contend in the conference. Made my way way to Mackey for the UW game. Crazy Purdue crowd and a wild team as they have 30 point wins and crushing defeats. Saw a high school kid I was asked to scout this morning at a practice. really impressive workout. The Big 10 is something else. A team like Michigan is in real trouble as if they end up 8-12 in conference they will not get in. They will be fine long term as Howard stocks his guys. Barn next !

Didn't watch the Michigan/Illinois game this afternoon, but just looked at the stats. Michigan only committed 2 turnovers, and still lost on its home court. For that matter, Illinois only committed 8 turnovers. After watching Illinois mbb for the last 30 years, that is an amazingly low stat, as well.

Illinois alone in first place in the Big Ten at the moment

Top Bottom