2024 MN High School Basketball State Tournaments

Coon Rapids isn't a top 30 team in 4A and they got one of the 8 state tournament spots. The MSHSL runs all the basketball the same way and I agree that the sections are good for 3A to 1A, but in 4A, which is predominately metro, they could go to system that allows for the 8 best teams at state.

Seed all 64
Seed two 32 North/South or East/West
Seed 4, 16 team sections and have the top two get reseeded at state.

They changed the system for 6A football and could do it for 4A basketball.
The sections at least have a little history in basketball, there's plenty of schools in Coon Rapids section that can put together competitive teams, I'm not really bothered if they get a quarterfinals spot over someone from a different section. I don't consider Coon Rapids to have had a more successful season than Hopkins simply because they made State.

The sections at least have a little history in basketball, there's plenty of schools in Coon Rapids section that can put together competitive teams, I'm not really bothered if they get a quarterfinals spot over someone from a different section. I don't consider Coon Rapids to have had a more successful season than Hopkins simply because they made State.
I personally tend to like the section system in all sports, but understand some of the metro desire to get top teams in the top class to state, since a lot of them play across sections during the season and seeding would be easier.

Cherry is blowing last year's champions, RTR, out of the water. Currently 69-35 with 9:30 to go
Yikes. It's been rough for my alma mater today. Last year they beat Cherry on the way to the championship. Lost too much and Cherry is better now too.

Is Dave Lee even trying to hide the fact that he’s rooting for Totino

Cherry 78 RTR 46Ch: Isaiah Asuma 26pts/4ast (11-13fg), Issac Asuma 20pts/13rbs/4ast/3stl (9-16fg), Noah Sundquist 16pts (5-10fg, 6-9ft), Carson Brown 7pts/6rb/7ast
RTR: Blake Christianson 15pts/4rb/4ast (4-16fg), Drew Werkman 7pts/11rb (2-12fg), Chase Christianson 11pts

Yikes. It's been rough for my alma mater today. Last year they beat Cherry on the way to the championship. Lost too much and Cherry is better now too.
Game ended with Cherry being held to 78 points while RTR had 48(?). Cherry has 21 games of over 90 this season so there's that. I forgot that there is running time when a team is up by so many points. That helped keep the score down.
Cherry has more than just the Asuma boys to light it up.

Coon Rapids isn't a top 30 team in 4A and they got one of the 8 state tournament spots. The MSHSL runs all the basketball the same way and I agree that the sections are good for 3A to 1A, but in 4A, which is predominately metro, they could go to system that allows for the 8 best teams at state.

Seed all 64
Seed two 32 North/South or East/West
Seed 4, 16 team sections and have the top two get reseeded at state.

They changed the system for 6A football and could do it for 4A basketball.
Something I've always felt would be a good compromise that could work across all levels is to have the top two teams in a section play the top two in another one. Pair each section with another section. Get down to two teams in each section and instead of a section championship game, have them play the top two teams in the other section (1 vs 2, 2 vs 1). Winners go to state.

Not perfect but better than the current system IMO.

Something I've always felt would be a good compromise that could work across all levels is to have the top two teams in a section play the top two in another one. Pair each section with another section. Get down to two teams in each section and instead of a section championship game, have them play the top two teams in the other section (1 vs 2, 2 vs 1). Winners go to state.

Not perfect but better than the current system IMO.
This seems like just making the State tournament a 16 team tournament. I don't see the value in it.
March Madness and Regional competition simply leads to imbalance from region (section) to region. It is what it is. Frankly, I liked the two class system instead of the watered down system we have today.

This seems like just making the State tournament a 16 team tournament. I don't see the value in it.
March Madness and Regional competition simply leads to imbalance from region (section) to region. It is what it is. Frankly, I liked the two class system instead of the watered down system we have today.
To me it's a balance between regional representation and getting more of the top teams in the state tournament.

TG and DelaSalle in an awesome game, I don’t think either team has had a lead higher than 5

TG and DelaSalle in an awesome game, I don’t think either team has had a lead higher than 5
Anyone know the #23 kid for DelaSalle? I think he's a north metro kid. Justin Johnson if the roster is correct.

Anyone know the #23 kid for DelaSalle? I think he's a north metro kid. Justin Johnson if the roster is correct.
All I know is his brother Kyle played for DLS too and now plays for St. John’s

Took Mankato East almost 6 minutes to score and they fell behind 14-0, but clawed back to be down to Alexandria 27-25 at the half.

Grove with 8 pts. 5 rbs. 2 blks, on 50% shooting.

He's a fringe top 150 player, I sincerely doubt he's getting a substantial bag.
He was impressive.....he's the kind of wing that we could really use. Somebody compared him to JOJ....not even close. He can handle the ball and score with either hand, shoots the 3, hustles and plays D. He sounded like a really intelligent kid after the game and looked like he displayed great sportsmanship during the game. If he isn't getting a "bag" and CBJ didn't even OFFER him? Bad talent assessment IMHO.

He was impressive.....he's the kind of wing that we could really use. Somebody compared him to JOJ....not even close. He can handle the ball and score with either hand, shoots the 3, hustles and plays D. He sounded like a really intelligent kid after the game and looked like he displayed great sportsmanship during the game. If he isn't getting a "bag" and CBJ didn't even OFFER him? Bad talent assessment IMHO.
I agree with your assessment knowing very little. He looks much stronger and heavier than JOJ, but DeLaSalle looked small.

He looks like a solid player.

I agree with your assessment knowing very little. He looks much stronger and heavier than JOJ, but DeLaSalle looked small.

He looks like a solid player.

Here’s his 247 recruiting profile, which lists him at 6’7” 200 lbs FWIW

Wow! First time I’ve seen Isaiah Johnson play and he’s super impressive. According to 247 the Gophers didn’t even offer??? Is that for real???! Big miss.
We did offer Gabby Johnson, however. He plans to major in Authentic Frontier Gibberish.

1711054327466.png

Looks like the next time we see Grayson on the "raised floor" will be the opening exhibition against St. Scholastica, in about 7&1/2 months. //s

I personally tend to like the section system in all sports, but understand some of the metro desire to get top teams in the top class to state, since a lot of them play across sections during the season and seeding would be easier.
The Lake Conference alone has schools in section 2, 6 and 8. And there are only 7 schools in the conference.

Top Bottom