2024 MN High School Basketball State Tournaments

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Thought I would get this started so people can post thoughts and updates as we head into State Tournament time.

Girls State Tournament is next week. Boys will be wrapping up Section finals this week and Boys state tournament the following week.

FWIW - here are the pairings for the Girls State Tournament

CLASS 4A

Wednesday’s quarterfinals (Williams Arena)

No. 1 Hopkins vs. White Bear Lake, 10 a.m.
No. 4 Maple Grove vs. No. 5 Lakeville North, 12 p.m.
No. 2 Minnetonka vs. Andover, 2 p.m.
No. 3 St. Michael-Albertville vs. Rosemount, 4 p.m.

CLASS 3A

Wednesday’s quarterfinals (Maturi Pavilion)

No. 1 Benilde-St. Margaret’s vs. Minneapolis Roosevelt, 10 a.m.
No. 4 St. Peter vs. No. 5 Stewartville, 12 p.m.
No. 2 DeLaSalle vs. Totino-Grace, 2 p.m.
No. 3 Alexandria Area vs. Rock Ridge, 4 p.m.

CLASS 2A

Wednesday’s quarterfinals

No. 1 Providence Academy vs. Perham, 6 p.m. at Williams Arena
No. 4 New London-Spicer vs. No. 5 Crosby-Ironton, 8 p.m. at Williams Arena
No. 2 Albany vs. Rochester Lourdes, 6 p.m. at Maturi Pavilion
No. 3 Minnehaha Academy vs. Waterville-Elysian-Morristown, 8 p.m. at Maturi Pavilion

CLASS A

Thursday’s quarterfinals (Maturi Pavilion)

No. 1 Goodhue vs. Mayer Lutheran, 11 a.m.
No. 4 Underwood vs. No. 5 Southwest Minnesota Christian, 1 p.m.
No. 2 Mountain Iron-Buhl vs. Walker-Hackensack-Akeley, 3 p.m.
No. 3 Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart vs. Fosston, 5 p.m.

If you missed it - in Boys BB there was a fairly significant upset in Class A.

in the Section 3-A tournament, Dawson-Boyd - the #2-ranked team in the state for most of the season, was upset by Minneota 61-57 last Thursday. D-B was the #1 seed in the North Sub-Section while Minneota was the #4 seed. then in the next round, Minneota lost to #3 seed Central MN Christian (located in the metropolis of Prinsburg)

so the Section Championship will be between Central MN Christian and Russell-Tyler-Ruthton. RTR is the defending Class A State Champs. RTR was only 11-7 at one point this season but has now run off 11 wins in a row and takes a 22-7 record into the Section Finals.

with Dawson-Boyd out of the picture, the question remains whether anyone in Class A can knock off Cherry, the consensus #1-ranked team.

If you missed it - in Boys BB there was a fairly significant upset in Class A.

in the Section 3-A tournament, Dawson-Boyd - the #2-ranked team in the state for most of the season, was upset by Minneota 61-57 last Thursday. D-B was the #1 seed in the North Sub-Section while Minneota was the #4 seed. then in the next round, Minneota lost to #3 seed Central MN Christian (located in the metropolis of Prinsburg)

so the Section Championship will be between Central MN Christian and Russell-Tyler-Ruthton. RTR is the defending Class A State Champs. RTR was only 11-7 at one point this season but has now run off 11 wins in a row and takes a 22-7 record into the Section Finals.

with Dawson-Boyd out of the picture, the question remains whether anyone in Class A can knock off Cherry, the consensus #1-ranked team.
RTR! RTR!

Incredible finish between two rivals, with freshman calling game for the second time this season:

Go Crimson!!

Wayzata is going to the State Boys Basketball tournament.

Wayzata wins Class 4A, Sect 6 title over Hopkins 105-76.

(that's the 1st Boys Section Final game - lots more this week)

Wayzata is going to the State Boys Basketball tournament.

Wayzata wins Class 4A, Sect 6 title over Hopkins 105-76.

(that's the 1st Boys Section Final game - lots more this week)
I was at the game. It was a beat down. Wasn't ever really close. Wayzata was dropping threes effortlessly and Hopkins couldn't do anything about it. McAndrew had 40 points and was more or less unstoppable - Hopkins doesn't have anyone who can match his height and wingspan..

I love to watch Hopkins coach Novak lose his shit when things aren't going his way.

I was at the game. It was a beat down. Wasn't ever really close. Wayzata was dropping threes effortlessly and Hopkins couldn't do anything about it. McAndrew had 40 points and was more or less unstoppable - Hopkins doesn't have anyone who can match his height and wingspan..

I love to watch Hopkins coach Novak lose his shit when things aren't going his way.

I know some people are not fans of Kenny, but I went to college with the guy, so I cut him a lot of slack.

You know Jeff Daniels?!? 🤩

I'm missing this joke. I was referring to Ken Novak, Jr. I was a student manager for the Augsburg College basketball team in the mid-70's when Ken was on the basketball team. Ken was a good dude.

I'm missing this joke. I was referring to Ken Novak, Jr. I was a student manager for the Augsburg College basketball team in the mid-70's when Ken was on the basketball team. Ken was a good dude.
Ken is a Good dude. And a ringer for Jeff Daniels imho.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpeg
    IMG_1384.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 0

Wasn’t that ball kick by a foot and should have the whistle have been blown?

Wasn’t that ball kick by a foot and should have the whistle have been blown?
Retired basketball official here. A kick has to be an intentional act for it to be a violation and whistle. It looks like the ball inadvertently glanced off the Osseo player, which is not a violation.

Ken Novak Jr is absolutely a good dude. He’s also a MN HS Basketball legend along with his late father.

You have to take any Wayzata fan’s opinion with a massive grain of salt!

Dang, Hopkins can't even beat the richie rich cake eater schools at the sport that the poor schools excel at most.

Might be time to join SLP in that conference.

Girls State BB Tournament - Day 1

Class 4A:
Hopkins 66, White Bear Lake 39
Maple Grove 56, Lakeville North 55
Minnetonka 74, Andover 48
St. Michael-Albertville 68, Rosemount 57

Class 3A:
Benilde-St. Margaret's 75, Mpls Roosevelt 40
Stewartville 47, St. Peter 46
De La Salle 81, Totino-Grace 49
Alexandria 67, Rock Ridge 50

Class 2A:
Albany 58, Rochester Lourdes 41
Providence Academy 94, Perham 84
Crosby-Ironton 63, New London-Spicer 50
Minnehaha Academy 75, Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 39

- Thursday - Class A quarter-finals; Class 4A and 3A Semi-finals

according to Chip Scoggins of the Strib -

the Hopkins Girls Basketball team includes guard Ava Cupito.

that's right - it's Bryan Cupito's daughter. (former Gopher QB)

and a WR on that Gopher team - Jared Ellerson - is the Hopkins AD.

we're getting old, folks.
And of course Providence Academy with the daughters of Chad Greenway and Adrian Peterson.

Dang, Hopkins can't even beat the richie rich cake eater schools at the sport that the poor schools excel at most.

Might be time to join SLP in that conference.
I see your terrible takes extend to basketball as well.

Hopkins did beat Wayzata in the regular season this year. And changing conferences would of course have nothing to do with sectional play.

Minneapolis South punched their ticket to State in AAA beating St Thomas by one. Wonder what the finish was like!

Lake City thrashed Cannon Falls to go to State in AA

Crap. Forest Lake (my alma mater) fell to Coon Rapids by 3 in the section final. I was bummed to find out it wasn't available to stream, but I wasn't going to drive all the way up to Princeton for the game.

Looks like it was one hell of a game. Too bad someone had to lose.

Did BSM think the game was over after the first buzzer-beater? The refs sure could have issued a T for the players and the BSM crowd storming the court. Shaking my head at the BSM kid waving Bye-Bye to the opposing fans. Bad karma. :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

State Girls Basketball - winner's bracket (I'm too lazy to do all the consolation - look it up if you really want to know)

Class 4A Semi-finals
Hopkins 84, Maple Grove 78
Minnetonka 67, St. Michael-Albertville 49

Class 3A Semi-Finals
Benilde-St. Margaret's 73, Stewartville 42
DeLaSalle 82, Alexandria 69

Class A Quarter-Finals
Goodhue 65, Mayer Lutheran 38
Underwood 64, SW MN Christian 52
Mountain Iron-Buhl 71, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley 36
Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart 72, Fosston 35

----On Friday:
Class A and Class 2A Semi-Finals

Reactions: Rex

Boys Section Finals on Thursday

Class A
Sect 1- Goodhue 47, Blooming Prairie 44
Sect 2 - Mt Lake Area-Comfrey 57, Lester Prairie 55 (ot)
Sect 3 - Russell-Tyler-Ruthton 67, Central MN Christian 47
--- (two teams from the Red Rock Conference make Class A State Tournament)

Class 2A:
Sect 1 - Lake City 80, Cannon Falls 56
Sect 2 - Waseca 70, Belle Plaine 66
Sect 3 - Jackson County Central 67, Morris/Chokio-Alberta 52
---(two teams from the Big South Conference make Class 2A State Tourney)

Class 3A:
Sect 2 - Mankato East 67, New Ulm 47
Sect 3 - Mpls South 62, St. Thomas Academy 61
Sect 4 - DeLaSalle 81, Columbia Heights 56
Sect 5 - Totino-Grace 98, Fridley 79
Sect 6 - Orono 86, Benilde-St. Margaret's 84 (2-ot)
Sect 7 - Chisago Lakes 93, Hermantown 82
Sect 8 - Alexandria 91, St. Cloud Tech 45

Class 4A:
Sect 2 - Minnetonka 78, Shakopee 75
Sect 3 - Eagan 60, Eastview 42
Sect 4 - Cretin-Derham Hall 59, Tartan 45
Sect 5 - Park Center 63, Maple Grove 58
Sect 7 - Coon Rapids 65, Forest Lake 62

Boys Section Finals on Friday, March 15

Class A:
Sect 4 - Heritage Christian vs West Lutheran
Sect 5 - East Central vs Nevis
Sect 6 - Ada-Borup West vs West Central Area
Sect 7 - Cherry vs Mountain Iron-Buhl
Sect 8 - Red Lake vs Fertile-Beltrami

Class 2A:
Sect 4 - St. Paul Academy vs Minnehaha Academy
Sect 5 - Breck vs Mpls North
Sect 6 - Albany vs Annandale
Sect 7 - Esko vs Pequot Lakes
Sect 8 - Pelican Rapids vs Park Rapids

Class 3A:
Sect 1 - Stewartville vs Byron

Class 4A:
Sect 1 - Lakeville North vs Farmington
Sect 8 - Rogers vs St. Michael-Albertville

Reactions: Rex

Did BSM think the game was over after the first buzzer-beater? The refs sure could have issued a T for the players and the BSM crowd storming the court. Shaking my head at the BSM kid waving Bye-Bye to the opposing fans. Bad karma. :eek::eek::eek:
I'm fairly certain that due to the timing of the foul, even if a technical foul had been issued, the rules state that OT happens no matter what the outcome of the foul shots.

Top Bottom