2024 MN High School Basketball State Tournaments

State Girls Basketball - winner's bracket (I'm too lazy to do all the consolation - look it up if you really want to know)

Class 4A Semi-finals
Hopkins 84, Maple Grove 78
Minnetonka 67, St. Michael-Albertville 49

Class 3A Semi-Finals
Benilde-St. Margaret's 73, Stewartville 42
DeLaSalle 82, Alexandria 69

Class A Quarter-Finals
Goodhue 65, Mayer Lutheran 38
Underwood 64, SW MN Christian 52
Mountain Iron-Buhl 71, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley 36
Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart 72, Fosston 35

----On Friday:
Class A and Class 2A Semi-Finals
An all Lake Conference final in 4A (and three of the four semi-finalists were Lake schools)

Crap. Forest Lake (my alma mater) fell to Coon Rapids by 3 in the section final. I was bummed to find out it wasn't available to stream, but I wasn't going to drive all the way up to Princeton for the game.
As a Coon Rapids alum, how in the world did we make the State Tournament? We've been a dumpster fire for 30 years in virtually everything but baseball and soccer.

Crap. Forest Lake (my alma mater) fell to Coon Rapids by 3 in the section final. I was bummed to find out it wasn't available to stream, but I wasn't going to drive all the way up to Princeton for the game.
I know it's not the same as watching it live but the full game is available on Youtube now.

Watching the Girls Class A semi-finals on TV and the announcing is driving me nuts. Dave Lee just spouts inane cliches, and the color person adds nothing to the broadcast. No discussion of offensive or defensive strategies.

I understand that the TV broadcast is not really intended for hard-core basketball fans, but it would be nice if they at least tried not to insult our intelligence.

As a Coon Rapids alum, how in the world did we make the State Tournament? We've been a dumpster fire for 30 years in virtually everything but baseball and soccer.
41 years since last appearance at State. They were 2 seed in a wide open section.

Watching the Girls Class A semi-finals on TV and the announcing is driving me nuts. Dave Lee just spouts inane cliches, and the color person adds nothing to the broadcast. No discussion of offensive or defensive strategies.

I understand that the TV broadcast is not really intended for hard-core basketball fans, but it would be nice if they at least tried not to insult our intelligence.
It’s treated more like a celebration of the teams that make it than something that grows the sport.

41 years since last appearance at State. They were 2 seed in a wide open section.
I was in 9th grade when Tom Copa, Kevin Treanor and the boys lost to Woodbury in the Final. I despise Scheffler to this day.

Went to the Alexandria game last night. Grove looks good after coming back from his injury. He had at least 3 dunks including a beautiful setup from Chase Thompson (kind of a double alley-oop) on the fast break. Tech had absolutely no inside presence.

What does the height look like with other 3A teams? Is Totino Grace tall?

Class A Section 7: Cherry Tigers over Mountain Iron Buhl Rangers, 99-55. Isaac Asuma scoring 18, is going back to State.

Click "watch on Youtube'

Boys Section Finals on Friday, March 15

Class A:
Sect 4 - Heritage Christian 85, West Lutheran 74
Sect 5 - Nevis 70, East Central 45
Sect 6 - West Central Area 60, Ada-Borup West 56
Sect 7 - Cherry 99, Mountain Iron-Buhl 55
Sect 8 - Fertile-Beltrami 92, Red Lake 67

Class 2A:
Sect 4 - Minnehaha Academy 73, St. Paul Academy 57
Sect 5 - Breck 91, Mpls North 74
Sect 6 - Albany 63, Annandale 53
Sect 7 - Pequot Lakes 55, Esko 42
Sect 8 - Pelican Rapids 82, Park Rapids 49

Class 3A:
Sect 1 - Stewartville 66, Byron 56

Class 4A:
Sect 1 - Farmington 70, Lakeville North 59
Sect 8 - Rogers 54, St. Michael-Albertville 50

Reactions: Rex

Girls State Basketball Tournament - Friday, March 15

Class A Semi-Finals
Goodhue 63, Underwood 53
Mountain Iron-Buhl 69, Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart 50

Class 2A Semi-Finals
Providence Academy 92, Crosby-Ironton 54
Albany 60, Minnehaha Academy 52

Saturday - Championship and 3rd-place games in all 4 Classes

I was in 9th grade when Tom Copa, Kevin Treanor and the boys lost to Woodbury in the Final. I despise Scheffler to this day.
Remember that game, I still say Kevin Treanor was one of the smoothest looking shots I ever saw. Copa was just plain huge sitting courtside.

Not Minnesota so sorry this is kinda off topic. But too crazy not to share. From North Dakota.

I wonder if Our Redeemer's nickname is the Orcs, that would be pretty sweet. I went to college in North Dakota, and there are some unusual nicknames (Dickinson Midgets, Devil's Lake used to be the Satans).

State Girls Basketball - winner's bracket (I'm too lazy to do all the consolation - look it up if you really want to know)

Class 4A Semi-finals
Hopkins 84, Maple Grove 78
Minnetonka 67, St. Michael-Albertville 49

Class 3A Semi-Finals
Benilde-St. Margaret's 73, Stewartville 42
DeLaSalle 82, Alexandria 69

Class A Quarter-Finals
Goodhue 65, Mayer Lutheran 38
Underwood 64, SW MN Christian 52
Mountain Iron-Buhl 71, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley 36
Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart 72, Fosston 35

----On Friday:
Class A and Class 2A Semi-Finals
Funny to think I went to DeLaSalle when it was not coed. I better look in the mirror and check what is going on. D was free to us poor guys in those days, dont know about now.

Minneapolis South punched their ticket to State in AAA beating St Thomas by one. Wonder what the finish was like!

Lake City thrashed Cannon Falls to go to State in AA
Nice, when was last time South was in the state tournament, 69?

I wonder if Our Redeemer's nickname is the Orcs, that would be pretty sweet. I went to college in North Dakota, and there are some unusual nicknames (Dickinson Midgets, Devil's Lake used to be the Satans).
Our Redeemer's Christian School "Knights" https://orcsknights.org/

Fargo Central "Midgets". Wahpeton "Wops", Sheldon "Shadows"...all states have them, fun topic to look-up

Isaac Asuma and the Cherry Tigers have won 28 games (with 2 losses) and in 22 of the wins they have scored 90 or more points. (It would be 23 except they only scored 89 in that game.)

Cherry gets to go against Russell-Tyler-Ruthton next Thursday at 11am at Target Center. RTR has a tradition of winning State Tournaments and that Southwest corner is known for fundamental basketball. It will be interesting to see how Cherry fairs against a team that is fundamentally sound. Cherry has been #1 in Class A all season. They have come up short the past two seasons and have lost to RTR in the past tournament. I think this is the year that Cherry wins it all.

Pairings for State Boys Basketball Tournament:

Quarterfinals schedule

CLASS 4A
Wednesday at Target Center

[1] Wayzata (27-1) vs. Rogers (21-8), 10 a.m.
[5] Cretin-Derham Hall (24-4) vs. [4] Farmington (23-6), noon
Eagan (17-12) vs. [2] Park Center (25-3), 2 p.m.
[3] Minnetonka (22-6) vs. Coon Rapids (16-13), 4 p.m.

CLASS 3A
Wednesday at Williams Arena

Stewartville (26-3) vs. [1] Totino-Grace (24-5), 10 a.m.
[5] DeLaSalle (20-9) vs. [4] Orono (19-10), noon
Chisago Lakes (22-7) vs. [2] Mankato East (26-2), 2 p.m.
Minneapolis South (21-5) vs. [3] Alexandria (24-5), 4 p.m.

CLASS 2A
Wednesday at Williams Arena

Waseca (20-10) vs. [1] Breck (28-1), 6 p.m.
[5] Minnehaha Academy (14-14) vs. [4] Pequot Lakes (26-4), 8 p.m.
Wednesday at Target Center
Jackson County Central (21-7) vs. [2] Albany (28-2), 6 p.m.
[3] Lake City (24-5) vs. Pelican Rapids (24-5), 8 p.m.

CLASS 1A
Thursday at Target Center

Russell-Tyler-Ruthton (23-7) vs. [1] Cherry (28-2), 11 a.m.
[5] Nevis (23-7) vs. [4] Mountain Lake Area-Comfrey (27-3), 1 p.m.
Heritage Christian (21-7) vs. [2] West Central Area (27-3), 3 p.m.
Goodhue (18-13) vs. [3] Fertile-Beltrami (25-6), 5 p.m.

Girls State Basketball Tournament Finals

Class A:
Champ - Goodhue 70, Mountain Iron-Buhl 65
3rd place - Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart 66, Underwood 49

Class 2A:
Champ - Providence Academy 81, Albany 78
3rd place - Minnehaha Academy 104, Crosby-Ironton 86

Class 3A:
Champ - Benilde-St. Margaret's 81, DeLaSalle 58
3rd place - Alexandria 69, Stewartville 55

Class 4A:
Champ - Minnetonka 64, Hopkins 56
3rd place - St. Michael-Albertville 72, Maple Grove 54

(some spooky officiating today. the end of the AA title game and the 4A title game were both drawn out with video reviews. but of course, Dave Lee explained what was going on.............)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex

I just found a their game against park center. They are very athletic and talented! But they didn’t look tall. Maybe their tall guys were missing?
Starters are 6-2, 6-4, 6-6, 6-6, and 6-7.

6-7 Johnson leads them in pts, reb , and assists. He plays a little like Royce White. Totino will be favored to win it all at 3 A.

Isaac Asuma and the Cherry Tigers have won 28 games (with 2 losses) and in 22 of the wins they have scored 90 or more points. (It would be 23 except they only scored 89 in that game.)

Cherry gets to go against Russell-Tyler-Ruthton next Thursday at 11am at Target Center. RTR has a tradition of winning State Tournaments and that Southwest corner is known for fundamental basketball. It will be interesting to see how Cherry fairs against a team that is fundamentally sound. Cherry has been #1 in Class A all season. They have come up short the past two seasons and have lost to RTR in the past tournament. I think this is the year that Cherry wins it all.
The are definitely the favorites! I would love for Isaac to refind his 3 pt shot. . He was cold in the tourney last yr from deep. Shot it best as a so.

I've seen RTR play a few games this year. They are fundamentally sound, but they lost some of their scoring punch off last year's State Title team, and this year they have to work harder for their points. So RTR IMHO needs to keep the game in the 50's or 60's to have the best chance to win. I just don't think they have the scorers to win a shootout.

I've seen RTR play a few games this year. They are fundamentally sound, but they lost some of their scoring punch off last year's State Title team, and this year they have to work harder for their points. So RTR IMHO needs to keep the game in the 50's or 60's to have the best chance to win. I just don't think they have the scorers to win a shootout.
I am going to date myself here, but back in 1982 the Chisholm Bluestreaks came down with a stacked lineup that averaged nearly 100 points per game (pre-three point line). They made it to the State Championship game and ran into a Winona Cotter team that played outstanding man-to-man defense that shutdown their scoring. Cotter won the game by keeping it in the 40s.
If RTR can dig down defensively they will have a shot, but if Cherry gets out and controls tempo, the Tigers will avenge last year's loss.

Just realized all the semi-finals and championships are at Williams Arena this year. That's cool. Probably too much to ask Timberwolves/NBA to be away for 3 straight weekends.

Just realized all the semi-finals and championships are at Williams Arena this year. That's cool. Probably too much to ask Timberwolves/NBA to be away for 3 straight weekends.
Might have to get over to the Barn for some of that.

Top Bottom