2023-24 Gopher Hockey Season

Gophers men's hockey beats Ohio State 5-4 behind Jimmy Snuggerud's three points

Brody Lamb had a goal and an assist and Rhett Pitlick scored for the seventh game in a row.

Jimmy Snuggerud had two goals and an assist all in the first period, Rhett Pitlick scored for the seventh game in a row and the Gophers men's hockey team beat Ohio State 5-4 on Friday night at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

Justen Close made 34 saves, Brody Lamb had a goal and an assist and Connor Kurth put the Gophers ahead for good with a second-period goal. The Gophers scored twice on the power play, giving them goals on the man advantage in eight of their past 10 games, including five in a row. During those 10 games, the Gophers are 11-for-32 (34.4%) on the power play.

Snuggerud, who scored unassisted 4:06 into the game to put the Gophers up 1-0, also recorded Friday's first power-play goal, tying the score at 2-2 less than halfway through the first period. Snuggerud reclaimed the team lead in goals from Bryce Brodzinski, with 11 on the season. Four of those have come on the power play, matching Brodzinski for the team high.

Pitlick then put the Gophers up seven minutes later, scoring off a pass from Snuggerud. Pitlick has the longest active goal-scoring streak in the nation..

Another D+ performance against a bad team and they almost blew it again. People think this team will magically become good over the break. They have looked the same the whole year. No improvement.
Just for fun I looked back at some of your comments from this time in 2021. They sounded very similar. That team went to the frozen four.

Will that happen again? I have no idea, but one way or another you will be unbearable to listen to.

As annoying as Bonin's constant negativity is, he is not wrong at all on his assessment of the team this year. So far I've seen nothing that suggests the second half will be any better than the first half. Just have to hope to sneak into the NCAA's and then see what happens.

As annoying as Bonin's constant negativity is, he is not wrong at all on his assessment of the team this year. So far I've seen nothing that suggests the second half will be any better than the first half. Just have to hope to sneak into the NCAA's and then see what happens.
Rarely do people actually dispute his assessments, it’s just that he only chimes in when there’s something negative to say, and people don’t like him using the internet to air out his obvious psychological issues. His takes are just as biased as others around here, just on the opposite side. And my biggest gripe is that he thinks the reason people don’t like him is that he’s so smart that nobody else is capable of seeing things and thinking on his level, when really it’s all the things mentioned above. His arrogance is baffling.

Cooley saw that even he couldn't save this roster.

Ok so I guess we aren’t that great.

And laughably bad at shootouts.

It was almost a given that a new goalie would shut down the gophers.

Also for a team that loves to puck handle as much as the gophers do they sure suck I the shootout.

Also the kids banging on the glass all weekend should be sent to North Korea for hard labor.

Gophers enter the break in 13th in the Pairwise. Wouldn't be surprising to have to sneak into the tournament and go through UND and their fans in Sioux Falls.

PW win% = .5741 (8.33 - 5.66 - 4)

I'm not a great hockey mind but WTH were they doing in OT and shootout?
It appeared there was no strategy in OT. A guy would get the puck and try to make a play on his own- that doesn't work in 3 on 3 hockey. In SO, it seemed we didn't even put our best skill players out there. It's 50/50 now if they make the Tournament

It appeared there was no strategy in OT. A guy would get the puck and try to make a play on his own- that doesn't work in 3 on 3 hockey. In SO, it seemed we didn't even put our best skill players out there. It's 50/50 now if they make the Tournament
lol no it’s not. Provided they sweep rmu and don’t get swept by cc or OSU they can basically split out the year. Every year teams make it in about 2-3 games over.500 in the highest conferences,

I am thinking that we don't have much of a shot to win the Big Ten this year. So in that sense the SO is meaningless anyway. It's way better than 50/50 odds to make the tourney. We need to come out strong and get some Ws in our next 6 games. The need to have a winning record after that. We'll be in if that's the case, as we'll be no lower than 12th in PW. Can't remember the last time a 12th ranked PW team was left out of the tourney. Too lazy to look it up but has it ever happened? Once we are in tourney, anything can happen.

Nothing to do with 23-24, but why the hell was Faber not on the ice to start overtime in the frozen four. I mean my god the guys one of the top 15 maybe 10 defensemen in the nhl and he’s riding the pine in the biggest moment or the biggest game of the year knowing full well he’s gone once the game is over. The kid should have played 40 minutes that night. It just makes my blood boil to have to watch him now with the travesty that was the fozen four.

Lot's of questionable moments from the middle of the second period on.

Nothing to do with 23-24, but why the hell was Faber not on the ice to start overtime in the frozen four. I mean my god the guys one of the top 15 maybe 10 defensemen in the nhl and he’s riding the pine in the biggest moment or the biggest game of the year knowing full well he’s gone once the game is over. The kid should have played 40 minutes that night. It just makes my blood boil to have to watch him now with the travesty that was the fozen four.
Yep. Me too. Maybe a case of Motzko overthinking things a bit and trying to get too cute. Only thing I can think of is that he was hoping to get through that shift and get our top guys out there, including Faber, against their second line. Not the best plan IMHO opinion but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Neither Faber nor the best line the Gophers have had in decades which had two of the three Hobey finalists. What a stupid decision and one of the biggest choke jobs in MN sports history. Until he wins a title, if he ever does, that game will be what he's remembered for.

ESPN to continue doing college hockey

That’s gonna be tough on the pairwise ranking. Cant lose many more games down the stretch if you wanna make the tournament.

Motzko blew it in Tampa and blew it putting together this D unit knowing who would leave.

That’s gonna be tough on the pairwise ranking. Cant lose many more games down the stretch if you wanna make the tournament.
That was a tough one to watch. Too many mistakes in our own zone. Yeah... the margin for error is now very, very thin. Need a win tonight.

CC just flat out hustled the Gophers last night for 85% of the game. Not a great effort.

CC is no slouch. They swept UND in their own barn 3 weeks ago

Two 3 on 3 wins in that sweep. Seasons don't end 3 on 3.

Also, I'm not saying CC is a slouch, just that the gophers effort looked subpar last night.

Much better club on the ice for MN tonight. Goaltending and play in our defensive zone was much improved. Snuggy has an unbelievable shot. I think CC had something to do with this though. They didn't look good at all after the first five minutes or so of the third period. We're back to 12 in PW. Let's sweep this weekend (a must), and then see if we can climb up the ladder a bit.

A hat trick from Jimmy Snuggerud and two goals by Rhett Pitlick sparked the No. 10 Gophers past No. 20 Colorado 6-2 at 3M Arena at Mariucci on Monday night to split the two-game series.

Snuggerud — in his second game since returning from helping Team USA win the gold medal in the World Junior Hockey tournament in Sweden — scored twice Sunday in Minnesota's 6-4 loss to the Tigers on Sunday and continued filling the net in the rematch. He collected two goals in the second period to nudge the Gophers (10-6-4) to a 3-1 lead.

After Colorado College (11-7-1) cut the lead to 3-2 on Ryan Beck's goal at 5:28 of the third period, the Gophers pulled away with three unanswered goals — Pitlick scoring twice at 8:35 and 10:05, followed by Snuggerud completing his hat trick at 11:43.

Goaltender Justen Close made 28 saves for the Gophers. Kaidan Mbereko started for Colorado College and made 29 saves; Henry Wilder replaced Mbereko in the third period and stopped all nine shots he faced.

This team is Jekyll and Hyde. Never know what we are getting from game to game

They are incredibly consistently inconsistent. Or in other words... They've just not been that good. The probability of a team playing like they've been playing stringing four together against good opponents is tiny. I'll wait for them to prove me wrong but they have looked the same since the exhibition and at this point it's probably the team they are.

Top Bottom