2023-24 Gopher Hockey Season

Agree. They got by by being much more talented. It should not have been that close.

Agree. They got by by being much more talented. It should not have been that close.
I don't share the angst on this one. The shots were about 1000 to 12. I didn't see a lack of effort out there. I do see some players who have not played up to their 2022-2023 level. That's not necessarily "uninspired" hockey. Snuggy was plenty inspired. Didn't score. Moore played his ass off. Name one D-man who packed it in last night. 4th line looked strong to me. Kurth was notable defensively. RMU got two extremely lucky goals against our 2nd string goal tender. Not sure what you guys are watching. No... RMU is not a good team but we won, and we will win again tonight. Maybe they will even show enough inspiration for some of you.

Or, to put it another way, it was the first time I recall fans (a few of the few) doing the wave in Mariucci just to get some life in the building or to warm-up.
You don't think the lack of energy has more to do with no students, no band and the rest of the seats maybe half full?

I don't share the angst on this one. The shots were about 1000 to 12. I didn't see a lack of effort out there. I do see some players who have not played up to their 2022-2023 level.
I hope they win tonight. I also hope they are a bit more efficient in their shooting percentage. Nearly 60 shots last night and 4 goals. I don't think the RMU goalie is that outstanding. I'd just like to see them play a bit more of an efficient game.

To me it felt more like they came into the game last night thinking they were going to win and they were going to win easily. It was closer than it should have been later into the game than it should have been. Maybe tonight will be different. It usually is on game two's.

Better game tonight. It was nice to see a few players get off the schneid.

I was getting worried the band forgot how to play it,.

Gophers sweep Robert Morris behind first goals of season from Mason Nevers, Mike Koster

Both veterans had missed time at the start of the season because of injury and hadn't scored before Saturday.

A couple of Gophers veterans who battled injury problems at the start of the season lit the lamp for the first time in 2023-24 on Saturday.

Mason Nevers and Mike Koster each scored their first goals of the season and the Gophers men's hockey team completed a sweep of Robert Morris, winning 4-1 at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

"One of the better games we've played start to finish," Gophers coach Bob Motzko said. "I liked our energy throughout the whole lineup."

Aaron Huglen and Jimmy Snuggerud also scored goals for the No. 12 Gophers (12-6-4), while Justen Close returned to net a day after his streak of 46 consecutive starts ended, making 15 saves in his team's fourth game of the week. The Gophers played a Sunday-Monday series against Colorado College after the world junior tournament ended in Sweden.

Nevers and Koster both played in all 40 games for the Gophers last season on their run to the NCAA championship game, with Koster finishing sixth on the team with 29 points and Nevers 10th with 23.

But both missed the start of 2023-24 because of injuries, with Nevers sitting out four games and Koster six. Coming into Saturday, Nevers had five assists this season and Koster had seven..

OSU is not good, but I think that was the best period of the year by the Gophers.

2nd period has been their shaky one. Keep the pressure on.

Typical Gopher second period but only gave up 1. Should be able to hold this one.

Gophers beat tOSU 5-2 at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

The rematch is tomorrow night at 7:00pm. The game will be on BTN.

The Gophers men's hockey team on Friday night began the second half of the Big Ten season with the first of six series over seven weeks that will determine where it finishes in the conference standings and play a big role in deciding if it returns to the NCAA tournament for a fourth consecutive season.

So far, so good for the Gophers after they dispatched Ohio State 5-2 in the series opener at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

Rhett Pitlick had a hat trick and an assist, and Connor Kurth and Jimmy Snuggerud also scored goals as the Gophers won their fourth consecutive game. Goalie Justen Close made 27 saves, and freshmen Oliver Moore and Sam Rinzel each had three assists.

The Gophers (13-6-4, 6-4-3 Big Ten) remained in fourth place in the Big Ten with 20 points, one behind Notre Dame, a 4-1 winner over Penn State. Minnesota gained ground on first-place Michigan State, which lost to Michigan, and second-place Wisconsin, which was idle..

Last edited:

Last night was one of the more complete games they have played this year. Let's see if they can finally put together a full weekend.

Typical Gopher second period but only gave up 1. Should be able to hold this one.
Yeah, they had that 8 minute or so stretch again in the 2nd where OSU punched back a bit and we seemed to forget how to skate and pass. Fish and Koster really struggled moving the puck out of the zone. Close had to make some big saves to save their bacon on some really boneheaded giveaways. This was after a 1st period where the team put on a clinic.

Yes, they need to put together multiple weekends where they play 120 minutes. And this should be the first one. You have to win again tonight.

The Pinoniemi experiment needs to stop and it's time to lock the 4th line in without him.

1-0 Minnesota over tOSU at the 14:36 mark of the 2nd.

Pinoniemi has the only goal of the game so far.

1-0 Minnesota over tOSU at the 14:36 mark of the 2nd.

Pinoniemi has the only goal of the game so far.

3-1 Gophers after 2 periods. Minnesota has 21 shots on goal and the Buckeyes have 14.

Gophers did NOT beat tOSU 24-0, disappointing some on here, but they did win.:)

Gophers men's hockey gets Big Ten sweep with rout over Ohio State

The Gophers won their fifth game in a row and gained three points over the weekend on first-place Michigan State in the conference standings.

To Gophers men's hockey coach Bob Motzko, Minnesota's three-goal victory over Ohio State on Friday night wouldn't mean much if his team didn't follow it up by sweeping the Buckeyes on Saturday.

"It's all about how we respond tomorrow,'' Motzko said Friday.

His players got the message and adhered to their coach's directive.

Second-period goals by Garrett Pinoniemi, Bryce Brodzinski and Rhett Pitlick broke open a scoreless game, and 23 saves from Justen Close enabled the Gophers to beat Ohio State 6-3 on Saturday night at 3M Arena at Mariucci. Aaron Huglen, Jaxon Nelson and Brody Lamb added third-period goals as the Gophers won their fifth game in a row and gained three points over the weekend on first-place Michigan State in the Big Ten standings.

The Gophers (14-6-4, 7-4-3 Big Ten) remained in fourth place in the Big Ten with 23 points, one behind third-place Notre Dame. Michigan State leads with 34 points, and Wisconsin is second with 30. Minnesota will play the Spartans and Badgers, both series on the road, over the next two weekends..

The entire D is a mess. Rinzel and Thomas have firmly established themselves as the first pairing, though.
What are you talking about? I thought they were good this weekend.

At least two of the goals were the result of absolutely brutal play by the D. As a unit they are average.

Got it. It's either perfect, or in your words, "the entire D is a mess." Ridiculous.
I just thought Koster seemed a bit off his game. Not sure if that knee injury earlier in the season is still hampering him or not. Normally he is really fluid and clean passing. Had some giveaways on outlet passes that felt uncharacteristic and looked a step slower than usual.

Not cause for tar and feathering the whole D. :) Koster is a really good player and the team will need him down the stretch.

Top Bottom