2023-24 Gopher Hockey Season

And they blow it.

Reminds me of the 14-15 Lucia team that flopped after an embarrassing title loss.

And they blow it.

Reminds me of the 14-15 Lucia team that flopped after an embarrassing title loss.
I am just not sure this team is that good. Their talent is not that great and they are young, which they always are. Not getting anyone in the transfer portal this offseason was a killer, but of course you thought Cooley was coming back.

I am just not sure this team is that good. Their talent is not that great and they are young, which they always are. Not getting anyone in the transfer portal this offseason was a killer, but of course you thought Cooley was coming back.
We won. Our power play was good. Our compete level was good. We beat a good team. I am happy.

We won. Our power play was good. Our compete level was good. We beat a good team. I am happy.
2/3 of a win where it matters. MSU is not that good. 8-12th best or so, similar to the Gophers. That's why the games were close.

Gophers are currently 12th in the pairwise.

2/3 of a win where it matters. MSU is not that good. 8-12th best or so, similar to the Gophers. That's why the games were close.

Gophers are currently 12th in the pairwise.
Yes I know how it works. We must have different definitions of the word "good." Between 8-12 is a good team in my book. So I enjoyed seeing two food teams on the ice today.

Yes I know how it works. We must have different definitions of the word "good." Between 8-12 is a good team in my book. So I enjoyed seeing two food teams on the ice today.
Good teams, but not that good.

In almost every game so far there is a period or more where the Gophers look like they don't care whatsoever.

Gophers men's hockey makes most of opportunities in beating Penn State 4-1

Rhett Pitlick had a goal and two assists and Justen Close stopped 33 shots for the Gophers, who scored on two of their three shots on goal in the first period.

The Gophers men's hockey team didn't have many opportunities to score early on Friday night at Penn State. But it made the most of them.

Sam Rinzel and Bryce Brodzinski scored 92 seconds apart late in the first period, Rhett Pitlick had a goal and two assists and Justen Close made 33 saves as the seventh-ranked Gophers beat the 18th-ranked Nittany Lions 4-1 at Pegula Ice Arena in State College, Pa.

The Gophers (8-4-3, 4-3-2-1 Big Ten) won despite Penn State's 34-21 advantage in shots on goal. The visitors only had three shots on goal in the first period, but they scored on two of them, with Rinzel tying the score at the 16:35 mark with his first college goal off a pass by Pitlick before Brodzinski put the Gophers ahead at 18:07 with his team-high ninth goal of the season. The goal also gave Brodzinski 100 career points — making him the 87th Gophers player to reach the milestone..

Shocked someone over reacts in the first 10 minutes and then the Gophers score 4 straight and wins and we get radio silence....

Consider the source. He's the biggest Gopher hater around here.

Shocked someone over reacts in the first 10 minutes and then the Gophers score 4 straight and wins and we get radio silence....
Was out to dinner watching on the phone. The statement is still true.

Was out to dinner watching on the phone. The statement is still true.
Yes but so is the statement... "we won by three goals." Any reason you don't pick that truth instead?

Yes but so is the statement... "we won by three goals." Any reason you don't pick that truth instead?
Should be another win tonight. PSU is not good. I called out these next few series as being much easier opponents. This team should not lose more than about one game until late January if they're contender worthy.

With Rud somehow getting ice time, I still think Gruba needs to be thought about at the Christmas break.

Should be another win tonight. PSU is not good. I called out these next few series as being much easier opponents. This team should not lose more than about one game until late January if they're contender worthy.

With Rud somehow getting ice time, I still think Gruba needs to be thought about at the Christmas break.
Wow. You really are impressed with yourself and your self proclaimed hockey expertise. I am hoping for a gopher win tonight

The way they phone it in half the time is eerily similar to Lucia teams after they blew it in Philly.

Gophers men's hockey can't climb out of early hole in loss to Penn State

The Nittany Lions roared to a three-goal lead and came away with the 6-3 victory, answering every time the Gophers rallied.

Gophers coach Bob Motzko called it a "monster'' opportunity. Following an impressive win Friday at Penn State, his team had a chance to pick up its first Big Ten sweep of the season in Saturday's series finale.

Instead, the No. 6 Gophers fell behind early and couldn't recover in a 6-3 loss at Pegula Ice Arena. The No. 18 Nittany Lions took a 3-0 lead with two goals in the first period and one in the second, and they had an answer each time the Gophers tried to rally.

The Gophers didn't score until Rhett Pitlick's shorthanded goal with 30.3 seconds left in the second period, after Aaron Huglen was penalized for checking from behind at 14 minutes, 48 seconds of the second period. Penn State came out strong in the third period and extended the lead to 4-1 on Jacques Bouquot's breakaway goal at 10:06.

The teams swapped goals in the final minutes, with Jimmy Snuggerud and Bryce Brodzinski scoring for the Gophers. Penn State outshot the Gophers 43-26..

Since you can't win games 3 on 3 when they actually matter, if you count those OT wins as basically a tie the Gophers are 6-5-5. 47% of the regular season done. No regulation sweeps.

I give them a C-/D+ so far. Sweep OSU in regulation and I'll give the benefit of the doubt and call the first half a C.

I am disappointed in last night's loss, as I thought our play was poor. With this team, I am simply hoping they do enough to qualify for the NCAA tournament. At that point, anything can happen. Currently 11 in pairwise. If they can maintain that ranking, that should basically make them a lock. But there is a lot of work to do between now and then. A sweep against OSU would go a LONG way toward having a "successful" season. Being on the other end of a sweep will do the opposite. Big series coming up.

For as strong as the Big Ten supposedly is this year, the top 5 teams right now are clear and none of them are Big Ten. The four best Big Ten teams have potential but all need to step up to be contenders.

In a must sweep week (Gophers have 0 regulation sweeps) against a bad OSU team, Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud will supposedly be back together. They need to step up, and should look to score at least two goals each night for the Gophers to succeed.

Gophers making the worst team in the league look like champions in typical first period form for them... And Big Ten refs in their usual form too not calling the cheap shop on Fish in the moment.

2 already for 81 is exactly what he needed

Another D+ performance against a bad team and they almost blew it again. People think this team will magically become good over the break. They have looked the same the whole year. No improvement.

Top Bottom