2023-24 Gopher Hockey Season

And I am not sure what simulation you are using. If ND gets swept by Miami, and we win BIG Tourney, you say that ND will still be ahead of us at the end? I don't see how that is possible. No matter.... let's just see how it plays out. Beat the Wolverines.
Nah just this weekend. If that happens and we win yes we will pass them. We’d pass Denver just with beating Michigan if they’re swept

Denver not gonna get swept. 1 seed hopes probably gone. They won't lose two in a row to UMD.

Denver not gonna get swept. 1 seed hopes probably gone. They won't lose two in a row to UMD.
agree it's exceedingly unlikely. interestingly...

Denver loses tomorrow drops their RPI from .5922 to .5856 (a win only bumps them up about .0012) so a loss followed by a win probably puts their PWR at about .587 or so.

Certainly catchable given the Gophers RPI goes to .5809 with a win (from .5785) but would take Denver promptly losing their next game.

In any regard, Gophers really need to win tomorrow or they will fall to the 8 seed pending Quinnipiac and Maine

agree it's exceedingly unlikely. interestingly...

Denver loses tomorrow drops their RPI from .5922 to .5856 (a win only bumps them up about .0012) so a loss followed by a win probably puts their PWR at about .587 or so.

Certainly catchable given the Gophers RPI goes to .5809 with a win (from .5785) but would take Denver promptly losing their next game.

In any regard, Gophers really need to win tomorrow or they will fall to the 8 seed pending Quinnipiac and Maine
Agree 100%. I watched both the Denver and ND games last night. Based on that, it's hard to see them losing tonight. But it is hockey as we all know. No matter what, a Gopher win tonight is more important than the results of any other game.

It's looking like UMN will be an 8, or maybe a 7. That likely won't matter. It's also looking like they'll play Omaha in the 10 or 11 spot. That means Sioux Falls, and that likely also means UND. So a bit of an odd regional in that it could be:

Instead of a traditional: 3, 6, 11, 14

That benefits the Gophers in the 8 spot as they would need to go through 11 and 3 instead of the ideal 9 and 1.

It's looking like UMN will be an 8, or maybe a 7. That likely won't matter. It's also looking like they'll play Omaha in the 10 or 11 spot. That means Sioux Falls, and that likely also means UND. So a bit of an odd regional in that it could be:

Instead of a traditional: 3, 6, 11, 14

That benefits the Gophers in the 8 spot as they would need to go through 11 and 3 instead of the ideal 9 and 1.
Was actually thinking the same thing today. I actually hope this happens, just to give it a true regional flavor. Not sure who 14 would be in that scenario. They could actually decide to put the 15 in there instead, in order to avoid same-conference opponents in 1st round games. Maybe RIT comes out to SF, assuming they win the Atlantic Hockey playoff.

Was actually thinking the same thing today. I actually hope this happens, just to give it a true regional flavor. Not sure who 14 would be in that scenario. They could actually decide to put the 15 in there instead, in order to avoid same-conference opponents in 1st round games. Maybe RIT comes out to SF, assuming they win the Atlantic Hockey playoff.
There has been discussion that if a conference gets 5 teams in like the NCHC likely will, they may have an interconference matchup in the first round. But yes, gut feeling is number 3 UND would luck out and get a #15 seed that's much worse than the #14 team. And BU would get the short end and face #14.

All about whether they go bracket integrity (ie protect the 1 seed) or travel. They went travel last year with the Gophs getting 6 seed St. Cloud and people weren’t happy. We’ll see what happens this year. If they switch, prepare for the complaints that BC is getting favorable situations over Minnesota (the usual East coast bias stuff). UMass on the 4 line also makes it odd with them being a host school as well as an HE member to avoid the 1st round matchup which could really eff with where teams get sent (does BU end up out west?) and then they’ll have the attendance argument to try use.

Last edited:

All about whether they go bracket integrity (ie protect the 1 seed) or travel. They went travel last year with the Gophs getting 6 seed St. Cloud and people weren’t happy. We’ll see what happens this year. If they switch, prepare for the complaints that BC is getting favorable situations over Minnesota (the usual East coast bias stuff). UMass on the 4 line also makes it odd with them being a host school as well as an HE member to avoid the 1st round matchup which could really eff with where teams get sent (does BU end up out west?) and then they’ll have the attendance argument to try use.
As a one seed you can not get a favorable situation. Only unfavorable. As a one seed you expect to play number 8 in the second game. In this case BC would line up with a 5, 6, or 7 with Minnesota in SF as the 8.

As a one seed you can not get a favorable situation. Only unfavorable. As a one seed you expect to play number 8 in the second game. In this case BC would line up with a 5, 6, or 7 with Minnesota in SF as the 8.
yep i agree with you. just a matter of how "unfavorable". Last year on the 2-3 matchups they stayed really close to the "bracket integrity" version (only swap was to avoid intra-conference).

Game to watch for Gopher fans is the UMass game. They beat BC and they'll be a 3 seed, which I'd say would greatly increase the chances we head out east.

In any regard, fun time of year and think we can beat anyone if we show up. As we've seen before, all it takes is getting in (even if it's by .0001) and getting hot at the right time and having a little luck along the way.

Also a chance (at least how I read the USCHO Pairwise Predictor) that we could be 8 and Q 9 and then we'd play that game out east in the BC region. Does that seem plausible? Be a tough region.

Also a chance (at least how I read the USCHO Pairwise Predictor) that we could be 8 and Q 9 and then we'd play that game out east in the BC region. Does that seem plausible? Be a tough region.
if Q loses, they will be the 9 by every result (Michigan and Omaha cannot catch them). I guess they could send us instead, but WI will be the 8 in that setting so they'd be the likely one being sent east. It would be more likely we go east to play UMass (they'll very likely be a 3 if they win). Odds of us getting Q are extremely low.

if Q loses, they will be the 9 by every result (Michigan and Omaha cannot catch them). I guess they could send us instead, but WI will be the 8 in that setting so they'd be the likely one being sent east. It would be more likely we go east to play UMass (they'll very likely be a 3 if they win). Odds of us getting Q are extremely low.
OK, thanks. Just trying to decipher data.

OK, thanks. Just trying to decipher data.
No for sure. It’s really hard to know much for sure. There’s also a chance UMass is out this year by .0001 if it’s basically chalk but Q loses. Tons to still be decided but it’ll get a ton clearer after the semis

Praise the lord the Gophers ended up avoiding BC's region. Unless the committee decides to screw them for no apparent reason.

Salvaged the weekend from disaster but by no means a good weekend. MSU might be top 8ish but by the end of the year Michigan and maybe uw will be teams actually capable of beating anyone four times in a row because of UM's talent and uw's coaching.
I feel like people give a lot of crap to those that know Michigan's recruiting and talent sets them up for success every single year...

I feel like people give a lot of crap to those that know Michigan's recruiting and talent sets them up for success every single year...
Literally nobody has disputed that recruiting high end talent is beneficial. You are making stuff up to play the victim.

I will however give crap to those who are talking about UW's "superior coaching" when we have a coach who has accomplished more than theirs has.

Literally nobody has disputed that recruiting high end talent is beneficial. You are making stuff up to play the victim.

I will however give crap to those who are talking about UW's "superior coaching" when we have a coach who has accomplished more than theirs has.
Something along the lines of me calling them a contender and never calling the Gophers one, and people pointing at the records.

Wisconsin stumbled. Michigan State is the new power threat. Michigan continues at top. UMD disappeared.

And then the Gophers. Build on what they have during a regroup season.

Something along the lines of me calling them a contender and never calling the Gophers one, and people pointing at the records.
I mean it's fair to call us a contender - we went toe to toe with a team who has a very good shot at raising the trophy. And nobody said Michigan wasn't a contender, they just don't buy that Michigan was on a whole different level than us this year, and I'm not sure a couple close games in a one and done tournament changes that.

Wisconsin stumbled. Michigan State is the new power threat. Michigan continues at top. UMD disappeared.

And then the Gophers. Build on what they have during a regroup season.
What do you mean "continues"? This is the first year they finish ahead of us in the tourney since 2018, and they have not won a big ten regular season championship in the entire existence of the league.

What do you mean "continues"? This is the first year they finish ahead of us in the tourney since 2018, and they have not won a big ten regular season championship in the entire existence of the league.

Frozen Four appearances recently is like gold bling.

Top Bottom