2023-2024 College Football Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

No reason to move. Harbaugh will F things up in Michigan coming back to the pack. Firing a coach that has never lost a conference game outside of MI, would awaken the football Gods.
To clarify, my point was not that he would be fired, but rather tire of the noise in Columbus, which I’m sure would be deafening and bothersome after a while.

It will be interesting to see who Indiana can attract, they are in a very similar position as Minnesota.
From The Athletic this morning (getting this out in the public realm, seems like a good way for them to float a trial balloon and see if it would be palatable in Bloomington) -

One major wild card candidate that could get involved in the search is former NFL coach Jon Gruden. Gruden, who won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 39, won 117 total games as an NFL head coach, but resigned as the Las Vegas Raiders coach in 2021 after an NFL investigation uncovered emails Gruden sent from 2011 to 2018 that used racist, misogynistic and homophobic language.

The 60-year old Gruden, who won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 39, does have some support with a few key people high up at the school, I’ve been told. Gruden has connections to the school, too; he visits Bloomington fairly often. His father, Jim, was a coach at Indiana on Lee Corso’s staff in the 1970s. Word is that Gruden does have some interest in the job. Whether the Indiana administration would have the appetite for a move like this, though, remains to be seen.

Last edited:

From The Athletic this morning (getting this out in the public realm, seems like a good way for them to float a trial balloon and see if it would be palatable in Bloomington) -

One major wild card candidate that could get involved in the search is former NFL coach Jon Gruden. Gruden, who won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 39, won 117 total games as an NFL head coach, but resigned as the Las Vegas Raiders coach in 2021 after an NFL investigation uncovered emails Gruden sent from 2011 to 2018 that used racist, misogynistic and homophobic language.

The 60-year old Gruden, who won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 39, does have some support with a few key people high up at the school, I’ve been told. Gruden has connections to the school, too; he visits Bloomington fairly often. His father, Jim, was a coach at Indiana on Lee Corso’s staff in the 1970s. Word is that Gruden does have some interest in the job. Whether the Indiana administration would have the appetite for a move like this, though, remains to be seen.
This would be the worst hire they could make. Unbelievable that someone even dreamed it up.

Yes there are four FBS teams in the state of Indiana, but it’s not like IU would struggle to pull an in-state recruit away from Ball State. Not any more than we would from Mankato State. The MAC schools are all Mankato State schools in their states, just that they decided to be DI long ago and stuck with it.

(Also disagree that ND goes after the same recruits as IU and Purdue.)

All that said, it’s a silly point to try to say that a school can only pull in top recruits in their own state.

Therefore, it is 100% correct, and Ryan Burns has correctly made this point a bunch in the past few weeks, that the Gophers have the lowest amount of talent in a 300mi radius around the school of the entire Big Ten including the new schools.

And the blue chips that the TC metro does produce largely loathe the idea of staying home.

(I might not agree with Oregon, that might be the closest one … but they obviously recruit quite well so it’s a moot point.)

Yes there are four FBS teams in the state of Indiana, but it’s not like IU would struggle to pull an in-state recruit away from Ball State. Not any more than we would from Mankato State. The MAC schools are all Mankato State schools in their states, just that they decided to be DI long ago and stuck with it.

(Also disagree that ND goes after the same recruits as IU and Purdue.)

All that said, it’s a silly point to try to say that a school can only pull in top recruits in their own state.

Therefore, it is 100% correct, and Ryan Burns has correctly made this point a bunch in the past few weeks, that the Gophers have the lowest amount of talent in a 300mi radius around the school of the entire Big Ten including the new schools.

And the blue chips that the TC metro does produce largely loathe the idea of staying home.

(I might not agree with Oregon, that might be the closest one … but they obviously recruit quite well so it’s a moot point.)
Additionally, Oregon has the cache of being Phil Knight U, with all the cool pre NIL gear.

They also have talent laden CA to the south.

I'd say Nebraska has less talent in that radius.

That is possible. But KC firmly there.

It’s not population strictly, but number of prospects.

I would trust a guy who works for 247 to have actually looked at those numbers. Maybe it was just an educated guess.

I would think Nebraska and Oregon are low as well, but both recruit well beyond their region so a bit of a moot point.

Nebraska for sure, Denver is not wihin 300 miles of denver. Although I guess we are not within 300 miles of Chicago if you go downtown. Only major (top 30)metro area within 300 miles is KC for them. But nebraska has more resources.

Looks like the Carolina Panthers coach is available if anybody wants him.

Nebraska for sure, Denver is not wihin 300 miles of denver. Although I guess we are not within 300 miles of Chicago if you go downtown. Only major (top 30)metro area within 300 miles is KC for them. But nebraska has more resources.
3-star recruits via 247 in the state 2023 & 2024:

Nebraska 15 & 18
Minnesota 18 & 18

This is just state wide so not the same as 300 miles, but pretty close. Not great for either, but amazing given our much larger population. MN being the state of hockey has its drawbacks. I know how many good athletes played hockey when I was in high school. A lot of them. This is a permanent disadvantage for Gopher recruiting. Just being realistic.

What kid wouldn't play hockey if their parents had the money and the time? That sport is so fun to play! Can't stand watching it, but pond hockey as a kid was great!

They are a middle rung B1G team with recruiting challenges and limited NIL money, that is exactly like the Gophers.
Indiana is not a middle rung B1G team, they are a bottom rung team. Arguably the very bottom rung.

Notice how many 3-star or better recruits Iowa has for their relatively small population vs. Wisconsin? I think the same thing is going on there. Hockey is just a big thing in MN & WI. Get down to Iowa and Nebraska where the lakes and ponds are much less likely to freeze for very long and it's just not as big a thing in the culture of the state. Sorry, off topic for this thread, but couldn't help myself! I'm sure this has been said previously on other threads.

Notice how many 3-star or better recruits Iowa has for their relatively small population vs. Wisconsin? I think the same thing is going on there. Hockey is just a big thing in MN & WI. Get down to Iowa and Nebraska where the lakes and ponds are much less likely to freeze for very long and it's just not as big a thing in the culture of the state. Sorry, off topic for this thread, but couldn't help myself! I'm sure this has been said previously on other threads.
Hockey isn't all that big in Wisconsin, certainly not compared to MN. Otherwise yes your point probably makes some sense.

Yeah, I’m shocked. Not because I think Allen is incredible (he’s competent), but that money is eye watering for a program like IU. I’m surprised they didn’t instead sprinkle that amount towards assistants and/or NIL — assuming most of it is covered by boosters. Just doesn’t seem very smart to me.
Tom Allen is 12-42 in big ten games that weren’t during 2020.
(22%)

Tim Brewster was also 22% but only got 3.5 years whereas Allen got 7.
In his last 3 years Allen was 3-24 (11%)

I honestly thought Dan was done, he seemed to be enjoying the studio life and not having to deal with recruiting and boosters.
I'd imagine the stress and pressure at Syracuse would be exponentially less that at the SEC schools he was previously. Coaches generally love coaching and it's hard for them to give that up, especially at his age.

Last edited:

Frank Reich, former Panthers and Colts head coach, might be an interesting hire for Indiana. He's well known in the state but he doesn't have a college coaching background and he is getting up there in age.

Syracuse hires Georgia DB coach
Not DC, DB coach

There is a chance he is a great head coach. There is a chance he is awful.
There is a chance he is in the middle.

But that being what Syracuse lands is why I am willing to give fleck another year or two. I think the chances of fleck having a 9+ win season is better than shot in the dark guy. He may prove me wrong and have me change my mind in the next year or two.

Additionally, Oregon has the cache of being Phil Knight U, with all the cool pre NIL gear.

They also have talent laden CA to the south.
Lots of competition for Calif recruits. Little schools like USC, UCLA, Ohio St, Mich, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Washington, Michigan, etc. they all recruit Calif hard. You can't win today without recruiting nationally or internationally, it's that simple. If the recruits come from Hawaii, Somoa, Austrailia, Germany, Sweden, Japan, you have to go where the athletes are. I put Japan in there because Colorado State has a former Sumo wrestler on their team.

Smith to MSU surprises me a little. I see this as a lateral move at best. Oregon State is his Alma mater and he’s built that program into something good. Yes, the PAC-12 is going away and there is some uncertainty, but he could have made this move a year from now too because everyone knows he can coach. If they merge with the MWC, they could be the power in that league and if you still have a path to the playoffs, it’s gonna be easier to win at Oregon state than Michigan state.
I can see Jonathan Smith winning 10 games at MSU in a year or two. He's a very good coach, MSU will play a much more physical game under Smith. Ball control grind you into the ground football.

MSU appears to be very soft on both the defensive and offensive line, once that gets fixed MSU will be a lot tougher

Lots of competition for Calif recruits. Little schools like USC, UCLA, Ohio St, Mich, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Washington, Michigan, etc. they all recruit Calif hard. You can't win today without recruiting nationally or internationally, it's that simple. If the recruits come from Hawaii, Somoa, Austrailia, Germany, Sweden, Japan, you have to go where the athletes are. I put Japan in there because Colorado State has a former Sumo wrestler on their team.
Yup there is and Oregon is a helmet school at this point, gets all sorts of cool gear for their player, far enough away (that you “went away” to school, yet close enough for your parents to see your games) and they got a rocking game experience and amazing cheerleaders as well.

Quick scrolling showed 9 Caly kids on thur roster through the 0-20 (roster is numeric, as it should be vs, alphabetical).

Lots if speed coming to the B10 next season.

Syracuse hires Georgia DB coach
Not DC, DB coach

There is a chance he is a great head coach. There is a chance he is awful.
There is a chance he is in the middle.

But that being what Syracuse lands is why I am willing to give fleck another year or two. I think the chances of fleck having a 9+ win season is better than shot in the dark guy. He may prove me wrong and have me change my mind in the next year or two.
Georgia coordinators get major jobs not low level FBS jobs.

Top Bottom