2023-2024 College Football Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

Sources: Boston College coach Jeff Hafley is expected to become the new defensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers. Hafley has brought BC to bowl eligibility in three of his four years.

Hafley's reasons for taking this coordinator job are rooted in both the overall state of college football and the opportunity to work for one of the NFL’s most respected franchises.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

Chances are he would have been fired at BC soon but it doesn't really shock me that all the other BS in college football right now is driving some coaches away. The money is great but this college football landscape is messy and very little of it involves actually playing the game.

It is all about collectives and the portal and pay for play contracts. I am sure the NFL is even more appealing now to coaches that actually want to you know.....coach.

You've got to think that the new world of NIL and the portal is going to continue to push coaches out of the college game (especially older coaches who made their bones in a system without either). Saban retires. Harbaugh goes to the NFL. And now P5 head coaches (Hafley at BC and Kelly) are willing to take coordinator positions in the NFL to escape the bullshit and focus only on football. I'm guessing more coaches are going to throw their hands up and walk away unless the system is brought under control.

You've got to think that the new world of NIL and the portal is going to continue to push coaches out of the college game (especially older coaches who made their bones in a system without either). Saban retires. Harbaugh goes to the NFL. And now P5 head coaches (Hafley at BC and Kelly) are willing to take coordinator positions in the NFL to escape the bullshit and focus only on football. I'm guessing more coaches are going to throw their hands up and walk away unless the system is brought under control.
I agree on principle but at the same time this isn’t what happened with Hafley and Kelly.

Hafley finishes 5-7 instead of 6-6 last year and he gets fired.
Kelly very publicly almost got fired this year.

This is more about two guys getting out of town before they get fired.

Making sure this thread is up to date, Chip chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Went from Seattle to Tuscaloosa back to Seattle in a matter of weeks.

What? Birk has to be interested. He doesn't need NIL

Brutal timing. It’s hard to feel too bad for coaches that complain about the portal when stuff like this happens.

Imagine our new DC leaving now to go to WI or IA. I’d question if I’d even want to hire a guy that would do this. I’m sure the money is better but yikes.

Edit: He’s even from Grand Forks and played at UND.

Lots of coaches getting hired and then leaving right away.

This situation just feels like it ends poorly in Washington.

Unrealistic expectations coming off last year.
Comparisons of Jedd to DeBoer.
New/tougher conference.
Rumors that you were already looking around.

To me, Washington as a program feels much closer to Iowa as a program, than to Oregon or Michigan.

Washington 2023 season was like Iowa 2015 season, if they had beaten MSU in the Big Ten champ game.

We will see. People on here closer to that program say they have strong NIL.

Still got to get players to choose to come to Seattle, which is pretty far away from everything and only has so much local population itself, which has the natural youth tendency to not want to stay home.

Analogous in some ways to Minnesota.

Top Bottom