***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT INDIANA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I don't think they'll sniff the tournament(from an at large perspective). They have no good wins. You need to beat quality teams to make the tournament. If SF, only loses once of twice more, I'll change my stance. The Gophers are their best win, that should tell you all you need to know about their tournament at large chances.

I consider a top 25 team to be good. Top 8-10 to be elite within the context of the season.

You didn't say that they wouldn't sniff the tournament from "an at large perspective". You said they wouldn't sniff the tournament and brought up that they lost 14 games last year.

If you believe that only the top 25 teams are "good", then your personal assessment of Indiana is a little more defensible. But I also think there are more good teams than that.....and that the drop off from "good" doesn't go immediately to "bad".

The premise of the team being talented, good, decent, improved ..... is hitting a reasonable percentage of shots. Gophers went 3-20 last night from three. If they go 7-20, which is only 35% and below their normal capability, they win the game.

If they go 6-20, a mere 30% and below our average, and Christie hits 3-3 free throws when he's fouled on a three, and Payne makes 4-7 free throws rather than 2-7, we win the game. Or if Michell scores half his average.

Despite not playing well, we were well within reasonable range of shooting expectation to win the game.
Hahahahahahahahaha.

Literally the worst post in GH history.

No. But thinking the Gophers were just a few made 3 point shots away from winning last nights game shows once again that you know nothing about basketball.
How much would you need to know about math to understand four more made threes equals 12 points?

And IF the Gophers just made a few more 3 pointers against Missouri, San Francisco, Ohio St, and Indiana they would be undefeated and at the top of the B1G.

What a demonstration of math and knowledge!
I didn’t demonstrate it, I commented on someone else’s post, ergo THEIR demonstration🤗

Funny how you magically disappear when the team is winning. Odd how that works🧐.

I have no problem being wrong😉, my ego isn’t that fragile.

I’ll go back to ignoring you, have fun with whatever the heck you’re trying to accomplish.

☮️

Last edited:

Nothing is more significant than winning. But yes, I'll be more impressed if someone is winning by 30 than 6. Especially given the competition level. If you're beating awful teams by less than 10, I won't be impressed by that.
I’m not as interested in what would impress you as I am in common sense which says a win goes in one column and a loss goes in the other.

And IF the Gophers just made a few more 3 pointers against Missouri, San Francisco, Ohio St, and Indiana they would be undefeated and at the top of the B1G.

What a demonstration of math and knowledge!
Missouri obviously. We lost by two points. Ohio State and SF no.

on hitting 3's: when you make them can be as important as how many you make.

If the Gophers had hit a couple of 3's in the first 5 minutes of the game, that could have changed the flow of the game. also, making some 3's early could help to extend the defense and create more room inside for Payne, JOJ to maneuver.

but beyond that:

so far in the B1G, the Gophers are 2-0 at home and 1-2 on the road.

if the goal is to get to 10 B1G wins, then you either have to sweep at home - or come up with 1 road win for every home loss. right now they are ahead of schedule with 1 road win.

they have 8 home games and 7 road games left on B1G schedule. if they can find a way to grab one or two more road wins, that goes a long way toward a successful season. (providing that they don't shat their pants at home)

If if if.... Well that didn't happen... So if if if all you want.. it means zero

Saying if we shot a whopping 35% from three we could have had a chance to win is the worst thing you have ever read on GH suggests you don’t think well.
"If we just scored more points we would have won."

Hahahahahaha.

This is ridiculously shallow thinking. Moronic.

As expected from a wingnut

Didn't like the match ups from the start yesterday.
They literally had the edge in length on 4 of the 5 match ups at the start.
I wonder if we would have been better served having Carrington and Payne starting against Indiana. Our perimeter defense was slow coming off picks and IUs poor shooters got uncontested looks right away. I don't think that happens if Carrington is on the court instead of Mitchell.

In the end, Assembly Hall is just a very hard place for visitors to win. Look at IUs record at home and the kids can learn from playing in that environment.

On to Monday and a home game against Francon.

on hitting 3's: when you make them can be as important as how many you make.

If the Gophers had hit a couple of 3's in the first 5 minutes of the game, that could have changed the flow of the game. also, making some 3's early could help to extend the defense and create more room inside for Payne, JOJ to maneuver.

but beyond that:

so far in the B1G, the Gophers are 2-0 at home and 1-2 on the road.

if the goal is to get to 10 B1G wins, then you either have to sweep at home - or come up with 1 road win for every home loss. right now they are ahead of schedule with 1 road win.

they have 8 home games and 7 road games left on B1G schedule. if they can find a way to grab one or two more road wins, that goes a long way toward a successful season. (providing that they don't shat their pants at home)
Yet another reason to start Payne. Him in- forces the defense to sag- offering better looks from the arc.

How much would you need to know about math to understand four more made threes equals 12 points?

I know enough about basketball to know there's a lot more to the game, especially last nights game than that.

Hey, if the Gophers just made more 3s every game, maybe BJ's B1G record would be 35-9 instead of 9-35. So close.

"If we just scored more points we would have won."

Hahahahahaha.

This is ridiculously shallow thinking. Moronic.

As expected from a wingnut
So tell us, Marx, does hot or cold shooting have anything to do with winning? Maybe ask a comrade?

I know enough about basketball to know there's a lot more to the game, especially last nights game than that.

Hey, if the Gophers just made more 3s every game, maybe BJ's B1G record would be 35-9 instead of 9-35. So close.
Does hot or cold shooting affect the outcome? Ever?

So tell us, Marx, does hot or cold shooting have anything to do with winning? Maybe ask a comrade?
Does hot or cold shooting affect the outcome? Ever?
Two games which immediately popped in my head -

Brandon Johnson vs. Iowa on Christmas Day (IIRC), when he was lethal from 3.

Villanova vs. Hoyas when they shot ~75% in their upset.

There would, of course, be numerous other examples for college buckets.

Kirby with his six hit barrage (2 HRs)against Brewers in 87.

Jordan in NBA Playoffs when he drills another 3 and gives the infamous shoulder shrug 🤷‍♀️.

While I can’t speak for the two Illustrious posters you queried, I can share my experience.
I was fortunate to go 4-4 in a Legion game, so it does happen and can be completely random; as I was coming off a double dip where I went 0-7 and didn’t sniff a hit.

Last edited:

Two games which immediately popped in my head -

Brandon Johnson vs. Iowa on Christmas Day (IIRC), when he was lethal from 3.

Villanova vs. Hoyas when they shot ~75% in their upset.

There would, of course, be numerous other examples for college buckets.

Kirby with his six hit barrage (2 HRs)against Brewers in 87.

Jordan in NBA Playoffs when he drills another 3 and gives the infamous shoulder shrug 🤷‍♀️.

While I can’t speak for the two Illustrious posters you queried, I can share my experience.
I was fortunate to go 4-4 in a Legion game, so it does happen and can be completely random; as I was coming off a double dip where I went 0-7 and didn’t sniff a hit.
All of which is true due to being simple common sense. Yet to deniers, one team makes two threes, the other team misses two threes, but shooting had nothing to do with the first team having six additional points. Remarkable.

You didn't say that they wouldn't sniff the tournament from "an at large perspective". You said they wouldn't sniff the tournament and brought up that they lost 14 games last year.

If you believe that only the top 25 teams are "good", then your personal assessment of Indiana is a little more defensible. But I also think there are more good teams than that.....and that the drop off from "good" doesn't go immediately to "bad".

If we're talking in terms of quality, winning the auto bid doesn't mean much in that regard in what will a one bid league most likely. If a team wins the SWAC, great for them, but they aren't a quality team. Obviously the WCC isn't the SWAC, but I'm doing that to make my point.

The team played about as bad as possible. The game really did highlight our lack of depth.

We weren’t moving around. We were making bad decisions. And shots weren’t falling.

Let’s smash Iowa and pretend last night didn’t happen. Show that tape once to the team about the importance of moving without the ball and entry passes, then throw it away.

If we're talking in terms of quality, winning the auto bid doesn't mean much in that regard in what will a one bid league most likely. If a team wins the SWAC, great for them, but they aren't a quality team. Obviously the WCC isn't the SWAC, but I'm doing that to make my point.

So you went from "wouldn't sniff the tournament" and are now pivoting toward "winning the auto bid doesn't mean much".

Good stuff.

It amazes me how Wisconson keeps winning basketball games while the Gophers flounder. Maybe it's the Minnesota kids.

So you went from "wouldn't sniff the tournament" and are now pivoting toward "winning the auto bid doesn't mean much".

Good stuff.

You think winning the auto bid is the same as being an at large quality team? As as example, Texas Southern won't sniff the tournament, but yeah they might win the auto bid. If SF doesn't win the auto bid, they won't sniff the tournament IMO. My whole argument is that they won't be good enough to get an at large bid. I never pivoted off my original stance.

Top Bottom