***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT INDIANA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Who was expecting us to win last night? Most were expecting an 'improved' Gopher team to be competitive on the road with a chance to win against an Indiana team who's not as good as the last two seasons, yet they were blown out.

Outside of Michigan, who is the worst team in the B1G right now, the Gophers haven't been competitive on the road this season.

A 12 point loss isn't a blowout. And brace yourself.....but the #1, #2, #4 and #5 teams in the country lost this past week on the road to unranked teams. Maybe you don't watch much college basketball.....but playing on the road is difficult. Gophers still have a Big Ten road win and a winning BT record currently. Must upset you.

Amongst their contemporaries, they are bad. I brought up BC, because they are similarly rated. They are also bad. If you want rank them among all of CBB, they are average. They aren't close to an ncaa tournament level team at this point. I'm well aware of their losses.

RPI doesn't rank the quality of the team. It's an obsolete ranking at this point too. It's not even included on the ncaa team sheets.

Average is a far cry from *bad*. Bad teams don't have winning (power) conference records no matter how you slice it. And the closest thing to a bad loss they have is a road loss to Rutgers. Bad teams pick up way more bad losses than Indiana has. They are an average team. But as I mentioned above.....even the top five teams in the nation lose on the road to average teams. So the hand wringing over this loss just comes off as desperate.

Average is a far cry from *bad*. Bad teams don't have winning (power) conference records no matter how you slice it. And the closest thing to a bad loss they have is a road loss to Rutgers. Bad teams pick up way more bad losses than Indiana has. They are an average team. But as I mentioned above.....even the top five teams in the nation lose on the road to average teams. So the hand wringing over this loss just comes off as desperate.

If they still have a winning record in B1G play after their next 3 games, I'll stop calling them a bad team.

Again, me calling IU bad isn't some sort of reflection on the Gophers or the game. It's just my assessment of IU, independent of what the Gophers are. We lost. I didn't expect us to win(although I did think we'd cover).

A 12 point loss isn't a blowout. And brace yourself.....but the #1, #2, #4 and #5 teams in the country lost this past week on the road to unranked teams. Maybe you don't watch much college basketball.....but playing on the road is difficult. Gophers still have a Big Ten road win and a winning BT record currently. Must upset you.

A 12 point loss when they were down 20 several times in the 2nd half isn't a blowout? The game was never close.

Maybe you don't watch much college basketball, but that's a blowout. And I never said winning on the road was easy. Keep revising history though.

The gophers have been non-competitive in 3 out of 4 road games. That does upset me. It should upset everyone.

A 12 point loss when they were down 20 several times in the 2nd half isn't a blowout? The game was never close.

Maybe you don't watch much college basketball, but that's a blowout. And I never said winning on the road was easy. Keep revising history though.

The gophers have been non-competitive in 3 out of 4 road games. That does upset me. It should upset everyone.
We had it cut to 5 in the first half and clearly didn’t have an answer in the 2nd. We haven’t shot the ball well from 3 the past few games. We’ll see eventually whether that is a slump or just a return to normal and if we’re in for a rough rest of the season. The sooner we figure out how to get more offense in the paint the better though because that’s pretty much all we have right now with not much falling from deep.

If they still have a winning record in B1G play after their next 3 games, I'll stop calling them a bad team.

Again, me calling IU bad isn't some sort of reflection on the Gophers or the game. It's just my assessment of IU, independent of what the Gophers are. We lost. I didn't expect us to win(although I did think we'd cover).

Well we clearly have different definitions of "bad". But then again....I remember you trying to argue that San Francisco was bad too. So obviously your opinions are motivated by something else. :rolleyes:

12 points is not and has never been a blowout. I get that making things up is all you have to fall back on because the Gophers aren't as bad as you had hoped.....but pull yourself together. It's embarrassing.

You're so bad at definitions and knowing how to use words, it's unreal.

Well we clearly have different definitions of "bad". But then again....I remember you trying to argue that San Francisco was bad too. So obviously your opinions are motivated by something else. :rolleyes:

12 points is not and has never been a blowout. I get that making things up is all you have to fall back on because the Gophers aren't as bad as you had hoped.....but pull yourself together. It's embarrassing.

I don't recall calling SF bad, but maybe I did. If I did, I was wrong, as they are a decent team, but nothing spectacular. I do remember saying they won't make the ncaa tournament as an at-large team.

I thought IU was bad before they beat us. Doesn't have anything to do with the Gophers.

I don't recall calling SF bad, but maybe I did. If I did, I was wrong, as they are a decent team, but nothing spectacular. I do remember saying they won't make the ncaa tournament as an at-large team.

I thought IU was bad before they beat us. Doesn't have anything to do with the Gophers.

Gophers7633 said:
Awesome. We're 20 points worse than the 4th place team in the WCC, that wont sniff the tournament. Great loss!!

Gophers7633 said:
It's always surprising to me when GH posters were defending every CBJ move. He's run this program so far into the ground, we're hyping up San Francisco now. They lost FOURTEEN games in a mid major league last year.

As I said.....some people like you have weird motivations to shit on the team no matter what.....and it makes for some lousy opinions.....like your opinion that Indiana is a "bad" team.

Nonsense. We have eight home games left on the schedule.

IU's B1G rankings:
13th in KenPom
11 in the NET
12th in BPI
10th in T-Rank

In terms of actual quality, they are a bottom tier B1G team.There are 64 P6 schools rated ahead of them in KenPom. There are 80 P6 schools. When I say they are bad, that is my level of comparison. They are a bad P6 team, at this point. And I'm not saying that solely on numbers. I've watched them a bunch, and they struggled against some of the worst teams on their schedule.

They've had a pretty easy start to their B1G schedule. Overall they are 2-5 against Q1/Q2. If they beat Purdue that will change my outlook on them.

I think people are reading too much into me saying IU is bad, and in a roundabout way slighting this team because of it. I'm not, they've just performed like a bad P6 team this year. They are no different than a team like Boston College.
KenPom rankings are as meaningless as an opinion from Barn Burns.

As I said.....some people like you have weird motivations to shit on the team no matter what.....and it makes for some lousy opinions.....like your opinion that Indiana is a "bad" team.

I've been a fan for almost 30 years. I am not motivated to shit on this team or program. Also, it doesn't look like I called them bad. They are likely going to finish 3rd in that league, so I was off by a spot there. But I still don't think SF is a good team or likely to make the tournament as an at large team.

No BC doesn't. And I agree IU has NBA talent. But that NBA talent also beat Morehead St by 1, Wright St by 9, Army by 8, Louisville by 8 and FGCU by 6.

It's okay to admit they are a bad P6 team, at this point. There's a ton of evidence to suggest it. They've looked like shit in about 10 of their games this year.
Is it your opinion that coaches do or should play for margin of victory? Is a win by 20 better than a win by six?

Game was never close and blowout. Adding that to other times you made things up like CBJ couldn't fill his staff and this team wouldn't be better than last year.

You've gotten so used to watching bad basketball and defending the disaster that this program is, that this is now considered a close game and not a blowout.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 11.16.45 AM.png

I was on the edge of my seat during this thrilling, back and forth battle last night.

I've said since the beginning of the season that this would be a 3-4 B1G win team, which means they would be better than last year but similar to year 1. After already getting to 3 wins, I would hope I end up being wrong on this.

But you better hope they beat Iowa on Monday, or they may be stuck on 3 wins for a long time.

Is it your opinion that coaches do or should play for margin of victory? Is a win by 20 better than a win by six?

Yes, it's better to win by 20 than 6. I don't think coaches coach with MOV in mind though. Its a by-product of how you play during the game. Beating Alcorn St by 30 is better than beating them by 6.

Granted, every team is inconsistent, but man, it's been frustrating watching this team. If this were a product I ordered on Amazon, I'd return it, because there's obviously a short circuit somewhere. The second-half team in the Nebraska game was unstoppable. The team I saw last night played worse than last year's abomination. That thread asking what this team is: good goddamn question.

One way or another, the premise of this team being talented balances on Garcia being a star and a future pro. He's not that right now.
The premise of the team being talented, good, decent, improved ..... is hitting a reasonable percentage of shots. Gophers went 3-20 last night from three. If they go 7-20, which is only 35% and below their normal capability, they win the game.

If they go 6-20, a mere 30% and below our average, and Christie hits 3-3 free throws when he's fouled on a three, and Payne makes 4-7 free throws rather than 2-7, we win the game. Or if Michell scores half his average.

Despite not playing well, we were well within reasonable range of shooting expectation to win the game.

I've been a fan for almost 30 years. I am not motivated to shit on this team or program. Also, it doesn't look like I called them bad. They are likely going to finish 3rd in that league, so I was off by a spot there. But I still don't think SF is a good team or likely to make the tournament as an at large team.
Can a team that won't make the tournament play some good games during the course of the season?

Really? Because you said that they wouldn't sniff the tournament. And I thought you liked NET rankings. They are the highest ranked WCC team in the NET currently.

But your response makes sense. Got to keep the narrative alive that they aren't good. Maybe a better question would be to ask how many teams in the NCAA qualify as good. 25? 15? Maybe 95% of the NCAA D1 teams are bad?

Really? Because you said that they wouldn't sniff the tournament. And I thought you liked NET rankings. They are the highest ranked WCC team in the NET currently.

But your response makes sense. Got to keep the narrative alive that they aren't good. Maybe a better question would be to ask how many teams in the NCAA qualify as good. 25? 15?

I don't think they'll sniff the tournament(from an at large perspective). They have no good wins. You need to beat quality teams to make the tournament. If SF, only loses once of twice more, I'll change my stance. The Gophers are their best win, that should tell you all you need to know about their tournament at large chances.

I consider a top 25 team to be good. Top 8-10 to be elite within the context of the season.

You've gotten so used to watching bad basketball and defending the disaster that this program is, that this is now considered a close game and not a blowout.

View attachment 29528

I was on the edge of my seat during this thrilling, back and forth battle last night.

I've said since the beginning of the season that this would be a 3-4 B1G win team, which means they would be better than last year but similar to year 1. After already getting to 3 wins, I would hope I end up being wrong on this.

But you better hope they beat Iowa on Monday, or they may be stuck on 3 wins for a long time.
Your knowledge of basketball and enjoyment of games is based on a graph at the end of the game? Sad life.

Yes, it's better to win by 20 than 6. I don't think coaches coach with MOV in mind though. Its a by-product of how you play during the game. Beating Alcorn St by 30 is better than beating them by 6.
Just like the Twins beating the Tigers by four runs is so much more significant than beating them by two runs. I see.

Your knowledge of basketball and enjoyment of games is based on a graph at the end of the game? Sad life.

No. But thinking the Gophers were just a few made 3 point shots away from winning last nights game shows once again that you know nothing about basketball.

The premise of the team being talented, good, decent, improved ..... is hitting a reasonable percentage of shots. Gophers went 3-20 last night from three. If they go 7-20, which is only 35% and below their normal capability, they win the game.

If they go 6-20, a mere 30% and below our average, and Christie hits 3-3 free throws when he's fouled on a three, and Payne makes 4-7 free throws rather than 2-7, we win the game. Or if Michell scores half his average.

Despite not playing well, we were well within reasonable range of shooting expectation to win the game.
Correct usuage of math/“metrics”

Thank you for cutting through the noise in this thread.

Last edited:

Just like the Twins beating the Tigers by four runs is so much more significant than beating them by two runs. I see.

Nothing is more significant than winning. But yes, I'll be more impressed if someone is winning by 30 than 6. Especially given the competition level. If you're beating awful teams by less than 10, I won't be impressed by that.

Correct demonstration of math/metrics”

Thank you for cutting through the noise in this thread.

And IF the Gophers just made a few more 3 pointers against Missouri, San Francisco, Ohio St, and Indiana they would be undefeated and at the top of the B1G.

What a demonstration of math and knowledge!

Wisc and NW have disciplined players who know how to win.

Dude, many of your posts are just condescending insults because you disagree with someone about a basketball team. It'll be okay, we play Iowa Monday. I'm feeling really good about that one. You make great posts when sticking to basketball.

Look, I'm at the point in my life that I'm not going to suffer fools unless I have to. If that offends you, that is your right.

The old guy is REALLY bent out of shape by that fact wow! I don't think anyone said we weren't winning any more road games, simply pointing out the schedule.

Guess that's what happens after a loss and he and a few others can't tell the board about how amazing their opinions are of this team 🤣

It's not a "fact" that one of our future road games is going to be the hardest or easiest at this point. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to say. At the end of the season, we will know which road games were our hardest and easiest.

Top Bottom