Who is Everyones Other Team?

1. Gophers, 2. Air Force, born at the Academy. Interesting to see AFA come up a couple of times here.

Florida and Florida St. I used to live down there...

Lets face it. The Gophers are tough to root for. They are tough to watch. the game is pretty boring, and they are not in the hunt the majority of the time. It will only get worse with the addtions to our conference. So who is everyone elses team they root for? Everyone has a backup team to go to to get some positiviity in their life.
Just the Gophers for me.

1. GOPHERS
1a. THE Ohio State University.
Liked OSU as a kid because they were red and on tv quite a bit. That continued into adulthood and my daughter is there and her moms family is all from there, so.........

Anyone playing the Huskies, probably Oregon State the most. Especially since they got left out in the cold during the conference reshuffle.

(First time caller here...)

1. Gophers (my first GFB memory is watching a game in 1967 as a small kid when there was a 3-way tie for the B10 title...attended GFB games coached by Cal Stoll, Smokey Joe, Glenn Mason, Tim Brewster, Kill, PJF)
2. Martin Luther College Knights (my Lutheran synod)
3. Army (former E-5, did four years regular Army; root for Navy and Air Force, too)
4. UW Stout (my alma mater)
5. If I had to pick another P5 school, three years ago Alabama (my first high school girlfriend moved here her junior year from Alabama). Since HC Kirby Smart? Georgia.

P.S. I'm one of those who roots for every B10 school during bowl season and who does not hate on Colorado...so there's that. Back to lurking.

(First time caller here...)

1. Gophers (my first GFB memory is watching a game in 1967 as a small kid when there was a 3-way tie for the B10 title...attended GFB games coached by Cal Stoll, Smokey Joe, Glenn Mason, Tim Brewster, Kill, PJF)
2. Martin Luther College Knights (my Lutheran synod)
3. Army (former E-5, did four years regular Army; root for Navy and Air Force, too)
4. UW Stout (my alma mater)
5. If I had to pick another P5 school, three years ago Alabama (my first high school girlfriend moved here her junior year from Alabama). Since HC Kirby Smart? Georgia.

P.S. I'm one of those who roots for every B10 school during bowl season and who does not hate on Colorado...so there's that. Back to lurking.

Nice list! Welcome to GH posting!

Not a second team but my sister-in-law graduated from Ole Miss and is a huge fan. So I've been waiting 20 years for a bowl match up for all of us to go to. Always miss each other though and has yet to happen.

The Gophers are by far and away my favorite but I am also a fan of Miami and Texas. Not sure why Texas... they are just like a Minnesota team, just on a bigger scale. It is a constant letdown each season following the Longhorns.

I wouldn't say I am a fan of Michigan or Notre Dame but I like when both teams are good. Might be a bit of nostalgia and brings me back to being a kid, but something just seems right when both teams are winning.

Last edited:

Gophers by far my favorite, but I taught for a bit at Iowa State, so they are 2nd in my mind.

NDSU. And I invite all of you to be Bison fans . The better the gophers get the better players they go after and seldom conflict with NDSU

Plus NDSU dynasty is a blast to watch

NDSU at Colorado Aug 31 game 1 baby!!

Wyoming for two reasons, my cousins kid wrestled for them, and Jay Sawvel. I appreciate that our success in developing defensive backs started with him.

Not a second team but my sister-in-law graduated from Ole Miss and is a huge fan. So I've been waiting 20 years for a bowl match up for all of us to go to. Always miss each other though and has yet to happen.

A part of me wishes we had nabbed Lane Kiffin...

Gophers by far my favorite, but I taught for a bit at Iowa State, so they are 2nd in my mind.

Lots of Iowans visit New Ulm during Oktoberfest...whenever I talk to Iowa State fans they are so nice...we have wonderful football conversations...most of them say, and people here can disagree with them, "I like your coach." They also will tell me, which I already knew, "Iowa fans are so nasty!"

Top Bottom