Who is Everyones Other Team?

alaska

Reaction score
Lets face it. The Gophers are tough to root for. They are tough to watch. the game is pretty boring, and they are not in the hunt the majority of the time. It will only get worse with the addtions to our conference. So who is everyone elses team they root for? Everyone has a backup team to go to to get some positiviity in their life.

Lets face it. The Gophers are tough to root for. They are tough to watch. the game is pretty boring, and they are not in the hunt the majority of the time. It will only get worse with the addtions to our conference. So who is everyone elses team they root for? Everyone has a backup team to go to to get some positiviity in their life.
I've been a fan since the 80s. I don't need a backup.

Maybe you should just drop the Gophers all together and cheer for your backup if it's too tough? If it's so miserable, why bother?
Your probably right!

Not even going to tell us yours?

My "other teams" vary from time-to-time. Lately, it has been Iowa State. It has been fun watching that team take down Iowa (multiple times), Texas, Oklahoma, etc. Their fans are not shy about storming the field; and I love that. My undergrad degree is from Western Kentucky, so I will always root for them and my sister went to Boston College, so I root for them too.

There are probably more teams I dislike. In particular, those teams that do well because of a single donor. Oklahoma State is at the top of that list (but also Oregon).

My daughter is in the U Texas Medical school program, but she and her husband are UM graduates, and he was a scholarship athlete…. We have been joking about casually following Texas. 😒

Let’s face it. The Gophers are tough to root for. They are tough to watch. the game is pretty boring, and they are not in the hunt the majority of the time. It will only get worse with the addtions to our conference. So who is everyone elses team they root for? Everyone has a backup team to go to to get some positiviity in their life.
All the U of M sports teams do the trick for me if Gopher football hits a rough patch. I’m talking about the men’s’ and women’s’ teams that sport maroon & gold. A couple of high school teams here in Minnesota too.

I love all the plays, music and places to go and things to do here in Minnesota. Sports is only a small part of a Minnesota life.

You have my sympathy. you have to go a long ways for a back-up plan in Alaska. But Wyoming & Montana?

Yikes!!!

I own some property in TN. So I sort of root for the Vols.

I live not far from the Arizona State campus, I follow them too. Their program mirrors the Gophers a lot more than you would think. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

1) Gophers

2) Tennessee Vols (for now)
3) Houston Cougars
4) LSU Tigers

My backup team is whoever is playing your team.

No other teams.

However I am super high on playing the Southern Cal teams. I know others are "not enthused" about Big Ten to the Pacific Ocean, but that's a huge media market with celebrities, and the nature/weather in California blows everything else away, at least in Continental USA. Go hiking on some hill, go down the coast to Marina Del Rey or up to Zuma Beach. Bring on November games please!

Born a UGA Bulldog (so always for them) but pulling for Michigan in the bowl season this year.

They schooled us totally. Go Blue.

MSU-Moorhead - My alma mater
I also root for South Dakota State because they've been beating up on NDSU as of late, my cousins went there, and my wife's family is from SD.

Also, Coastal Carolina. I know that sounds odd. During the covid season, when it looked like the B1G might not play, I figured I would choose a team to root for for the season. I chose Coastal and still follow them - they play a fun style of football.

Umm, as an alumnus of the U of MN, there is no back up. That’s why the further commercialization of college sports is so annoying - this idea that fandom is casual or can be replaced. Just like a better team! That’s not how school loyalty works.

Notre Dame and FSU. I grew up without cable/satellite, so Gopher football wasn't exactly readily available for me.

Huge Badger and Hawkeye fan when the Gophers are struggling. Or Husker fan until game 2 and I realize they aren't back yet. I also love the Boilermakers and I'll follow any Bielema coached team. I hate NW though. How dare they fire Fitz.

Lot of Navy grads in the family so I always root for them. Although they’re also typically boring and not very good. Montana is fun to right for too, and I have plenty of friends who go there.

Top Bottom