Who is Everyones Other Team?

Jumping on some other team's bandwagon would feel icky. If I'm not cheering for the Gophers, I'm not cheering for anyone.

I generally will watch Washington and Missouri if they are on the tube. No teams in the ACC or Big XII really gather my attention.

I've been a fan since the 80s. I don't need a backup.
I second this.

I had student season tickets for the last year in Memorial Stadium and the first years in the Dome. That tested my loyalty to the team, but I survived.

Outside the Gophers I like lower level teams in MN and the FCS teams in the Dakota's.

Stanford
Arkansas
Kansas State

Are teams I enjoy

Ohio State because they are a northern team that can actually compete for a national championship. Boy, their QB room looks like a mess though! Devin Brown seems injury prone and Lincoln Kienholz has a long way to go. I hope the 5-star they are bringing in pans out!

I root for Missouri in the SEC. I wish the Big Ten had gotten them instead. They would have been a logical expansion to our footprint.

Oh, and SDSU because several friends went there. I think I’m having some success making the Gophers their second team too!

I’ve been a big Bijan Robinson fan for a few years now so I’ve taken on cheering for the Texas Longhorns in my spare time.

Was able to make it down to the 2022 Red River Rivalry, was an amazing experience (the game, not so much).

I usually follow and root for the other teams I've coached in the NCAA Football games with dynasty mode. So those include:
  • Northern Illinois
  • Pittsburgh
  • Cincinnati
  • Colorado
  • Buffalo
  • Iowa State

On further reminiscence, I think my "other team" might be Oklahoma. As a kid, before my family started taking me to Golden Gopher games, I always took the side of Oklahoma in the Oklahoma/Nebraska battles. YMMV

Wyoming. Bohl much better coach than givin credit for. Got screwed by N and Steve peterson

Moniker name is sort of a giveaway. Cyclone alumni but Gophers are my #2 as I am a "naturalized" Minnesotan by now after decades here. More a Gopher fan for WBB and football, MBB not so much.

#1 Iowa State Cyclones
#2 The Gophers
#3 University of Washington. Ex was a Husky so I still have an interest in seeing them do well.
#4 Used to be anyone playing the Hawkeyes but being decades away from Iowa now I've sort of outgrown that rivalry and it doesn't mean much to me except when Hawks come to town to play Gophers.

Lets face it. The Gophers are tough to root for. They are tough to watch. the game is pretty boring, and they are not in the hunt the majority of the time. It will only get worse with the addtions to our conference. So who is everyone elses team they root for? Everyone has a backup team to go to to get some positiviity in their life.
The Gophers are not boring to me when they are running the ball well. As re other teams, if you mean PBS teams, I'm not interested in any of them. I follow some FCS, D2, and D3 teams.

Used to be a Colorado Buffalos fan until Deion arrived. And while this is kind of cheating, the non-Gopher teams I root for are the ones playing the teams I cannot stand:
- Any non-SEC team playing an SEC Team (especially if Tennessee's involved - although it has been almost 40 years, I still have a bitter taste in my mouth experiencing the Tennessee fans in the 1986 Liberty Bowl) AND
- Any non-SEC team playing Florida State

Iowa State, since they paid me to teach there. Kansas State, since cousins went there. But neither team can approach the Gophers!

I generally will watch Washington and Missouri if they are on the tube. No teams in the ACC or Big XII really gather my attention.
Minnesota, Washington, Missouri …. these are the kinds of programs that I assume no one would just pick up and follow unless they either have a personal connection to the school or live close to the school and want to follow the local team.

Minnesota, Washington, Missouri …. these are the kinds of programs that I assume no one would just pick up and follow unless they either have a personal connection to the school or live close to the school and want to follow the local team.
I would agree, Washington if fun to watch for sure

Top Bottom