Utah State wins MWC tourny over #4 SDSU -- hire Craig Smith now??

I will agree with you that we have a better defensive identity.....but we still don't pressure the ball. Of course Carr has to play 40 minutes (does he) so would no doubt kill himself if he played pressure defense. You lose me when you say he's "recruiting with a purpose." Greenlee and Freeman had no sample size, Williams is our quickest player and he didn't get much run either.

Our identity doesn’t require or focus on intense ball pressure all the time. It’s more containment and staying in front of guys. Guys like Greenlee and Freeman and Williams are being sold as more your “worker/grinder” type of players. Jamal Mashburn while heralded fits that as well. That’s more of the “purpose” I see when selecting guys compared to the IWs of the world

Not hard at all. YOU are the one that is/was spouting.

I tend to think it is time to move on - that position is based on the ad's ability to hire a coach that will be at MN long term and elevate the program to a consistent winner and tournament participant.

We shall see if the ad has stones - and a pocket full of top coaches that want to make MN home. Historically, the ad had to hire from waaaaaaay down the list. Will that continue to be the case?
Thanks for the response and it appears we’re in agreement. Coyle isn’t going to make a move unless he has a few people lined up.

Our identity doesn’t require or focus on intense ball pressure all the time. It’s more containment and staying in front of guys. Guys like Greenlee and Freeman and Williams are being sold as more your “worker/grinder” type of players. Jamal Mashburn while heralded fits that as well. That’s more of the “purpose” I see when selecting guys compared to the IWs of the world
I don’t think it’s any kind of real identity. It’s taking what he can get.

Thanks for the response and it appears we’re in agreement. Coyle isn’t going to make a move unless he has a few people lined up.
Solid post. I think he will pull the trigger. However, finding the right fit, the guy you are sure of and having that guy want to come here is not easy. I hope that in the case that Coyle does not nail down that guy and stays the course, that those who have been derisive of Pitino (not you) can back him and the team next year, just because we are all Gopher fans (or at least most all of us).

The last thing we want Coyle to do is just go get a guy out of desperation and hope it works.

Solid post. I think he will pull the trigger. However, finding the right fit, the guy you are sure of and having that guy want to come here is not easy. I hope that in the case that Coyle does not nail down that guy and stays the course, that those who have been derisive of Pitino (not you) can back him and the team next year, just because we are all Gopher fans (or at least most all of us).

The last thing we want Coyle to do is just go get a guy out of desperation and hope it works.

Its not the best job in the world but not the worst either. Any elite mid-major coach would probably have significant other options. Money talks though.

Brian is not coming back to Minnesota. I have that directly from members of his family. He has loved the San Diego lifestyle since leaving the tundra of the Midwest. He's retiring right where he is.

Having spent a lot of time in SD, its a no-brainer. I'd never leave SD for MPLS.

I don’t think it’s any kind of real identity. It’s taking what he can get.
This used to be true. Jeter and Lindsted have changed some of that. All are high character and defend. Didn’t used to be that way

We have to be better than 10th in the conference in defense.

Agreed, which is why I finally moved on the get a new coach bandwagon. I’m not saying our evals were right, but at least I could see a type they were/are targeting.

Agreed, which is why I finally moved on the get a new coach bandwagon. I’m not saying our evals were right, but at least I could see a type they were/are targeting.
I am all for this coach doing it but i keep waiting and waiting and waiting. One good defensive team in 7 years.

Exactly.

He recruits who he can get to say "yes." He has no other strategy.
I felt this was true with his earlier recruiting. I see us go after guys who fit certain profiles now (doesn't mean they will all work out). I wish he'd done this Fromm the start, I think he'd had more success.

This used to be true. Jeter and Lindsted have changed some of that. All are high character and defend. Didn’t used to be that way
He didn't take Freeman and Greenlee, and give an unused scholarship to Rudrud because of "defense and character."

He did so because he couldn't get anyone he actually wanted.

I am all for this coach doing it but i keep waiting and waiting and waiting. One good defensive team in 7 years.
I've lost most of my faith. Will still cheer and hope we are successful, but my confidence is pretty low

He didn't take Freeman and Greenlee, and give an unused scholarship to Rudrud because of "defense and character."

He did so because he couldn't get anyone he actually wanted.
You don't get everyone you want. Freeman and Greenlee are fit certain profiles which would be they are hard workers, good character kids, and can defend. They are not their first choices of course. Also many programs leave or have open scholarships. With the amount of transfers and players wanting immediate playing time, it's hard to keep that many scholarship guys. Giving an extra to a walk on is common for many programs.

You don't get everyone you want. Freeman and Greenlee are fit certain profiles which would be they are hard workers, good character kids, and can defend.

How TF would you know any of this?

You don't get everyone you want. Freeman and Greenlee are fit certain profiles which would be they are hard workers, good character kids, and can defend. They are not their first choices of course. Also many programs leave or have open scholarships. With the amount of transfers and players wanting immediate playing time, it's hard to keep that many scholarship guys. Giving an extra to a walk on is common for many programs.
Yeah, I think some on here are being too hard on the Beave. This is a top 50 team who are a few close games away from being a top 40 team and being in NCAA consideration. That's no mean feat considering their unbalanced and thin roster. To my eyes they play better defense now that Jeter is on staff--although they don't do it with enough consistency that they can hang their hat on it.

The problem is that, even though Richard has figured some things out and added coaches to supplement his deficiencies, he's still so far away from being a good program builder and manager, he's wasted so much time getting to this point, and he's squandered the benefit of the doubt that any new coach gets in the local community. As a result, the local players, families and coaches generally believe they'll get better coaching and development elsewhere. Richard faces a steep climb, not just to become an elite coach and program builder, but to fix his local reputation. I don't care what anyone says, the local talent pool is a gold mine waiting to be exploited. It kills me to see the caravan of excellent players head east on 94 because Ryan was and Gard is head and shoulders better.

We are similar or better than all but 3 big ten schools the last three seasons in touney appearances and wins. This despite strong headwinds. All big ten coaches go thru ups and downs with their programs and fans - except Izzo and maybe Painter. Will agree with you, BG, that our roster construction is a concern. Regarding Gard, Badger fans were after him until here at the end of the season - ups and downs. Slow ball is an equalizer and helps him. If Pitino were fired and somehow Gard came available would prefer any of the speculated names over him. Not to take anything away from him, but slow ball is just not a personal preference.

Yeah, I think some on here are being too hard on the Beave. This is a top 50 team who are a few close games away from being a top 40 team and being in NCAA consideration. That's no mean feat considering their unbalanced and thin roster. To my eyes they play better defense now that Jeter is on staff--although they don't do it with enough consistency that they can hang their hat on it.

The problem is that, even though Richard has figured some things out and added coaches to supplement his deficiencies, he's still so far away from being a good program builder and manager, he's wasted so much time getting to this point, and he's squandered the benefit of the doubt that any new coach gets in the local community. As a result, the local players, families and coaches generally believe they'll get better coaching and development elsewhere. Richard faces a steep climb, not just to become an elite coach and program builder, but to fix his local reputation. I don't care what anyone says, the local talent pool is a gold mine waiting to be exploited. It kills me to see the caravan of excellent players head east on 94 because Ryan was and Gard is head and shoulders better.

Good post with many valid points and most I generally agree with. I think the construction has gotten better and will continue because he is recruiting certain styles of players instead of just getting whoever. I do strongly believe we will never keep a majority of kids in MN period. There are just dynamics of the university and city that will not make it appealing to kids that live here. That being said, we can do better than landing 3 of the last 22 MN kids we've offered. RJ had a podcast recently talking about his lack of ability to get in and create relationships long term. To be fair, Tubby had ruined his as well, along with Mason for football. Sometimes I wonder if our MN HS and AAU coaches (I used to be one) are the problem too.

Good post with many valid points and most I generally agree with. I think the construction has gotten better and will continue because he is recruiting certain styles of players instead of just getting whoever. I do strongly believe we will never keep a majority of kids in MN period. There are just dynamics of the university and city that will not make it appealing to kids that live here. That being said, we can do better than landing 3 of the last 22 MN kids we've offered. RJ had a podcast recently talking about his lack of ability to get in and create relationships long term. To be fair, Tubby had ruined his as well, along with Mason for football. Sometimes I wonder if our MN HS and AAU coaches (I used to be one) are the problem too.
It takes a kid to realize the grass is not greener. It takes a kid that is not afraid, willing to sacrifice a bit, and be a LEADER. Someone that is proud to call MN home, and be willing to back it up with a commitment. Someone that has a level of confidence that they can make it, and make a DIFFERENCE.

Oturu appears to fit all of the above. He is not scared, and it shows. He is willing to lead, and it shows.

Kids that run to Duke etc miss a real opportunity, imo. Many opportunities, for that matter.

It takes a kid to realize the grass is not greener. It takes a kid that is not afraid, willing to sacrifice a bit, and be a LEADER. Someone that is proud to call MN home, and be willing to back it up with a commitment. Someone that has a level of confidence that they can make it, and make a DIFFERENCE.

Oturu appears to fit all of the above. He is not scared, and it shows. He is willing to lead, and it shows.

Kids that run to Duke etc miss a real opportunity, imo. Many opportunities, for that matter.

I appreciate every kid that wants to stay here and I do think a couple more would be willing if relationships were developed a little better earlier, which is an adjustment that has been made with kids like Holloman and others that are coming. If a MN kid wants Duke or Wisconsin for that matter, I could care less. You are right about it's not always greener and many end up coming back to live here. The fact is this place is a good school and great place that many would want to come and make great if the direction is clear and win games.

I appreciate every kid that wants to stay here and I do think a couple more would be willing if relationships were developed a little better earlier, which is an adjustment that has been made with kids like Holloman and others that are coming. If a MN kid wants Duke or Wisconsin for that matter, I could care less. You are right about it's not always greener and many end up coming back to live here. The fact is this place is a good school and great place that many would want to come and make great if the direction is clear and win games.
Think Coughlin for FB and the impact he and his MN mates made on the program, especially last season. Not easy, and now he and they can take a great deal of satisfaction and PRIDE in what they accomplished.

I still don't see how Madison is inherently more appealing than Minneapolis-St. Paul, other than the basketball program being superior in practically every way. Let's not overthink this.

I still don't see how Madison is inherently more appealing than Minneapolis-St. Paul, other than the basketball program being superior in practically every way. Let's not overthink this.

Go be 18 and go visit Madison lol. It's more "fun" than the U especially for a kid who wants to leave home for a college experience. I'm not overthinking it, I've heard it from kids.

Go be 18 and go visit Madison lol. It's more "fun" than the U especially for a kid who wants to leave home for a college experience. I'm not overthinking it, I've heard it from kids.
My daughter visited there and turned up her nose. She liked the U 3 times better. We gotta get past this inferiority complex.

Dismiss it and trash it all you want ... but for suburban and exurban kids, there is more than zero affect of the U being a very urban campus, with a perception of crime nearby and even on campus.

My daughter visited there and turned up her nose. She liked the U 3 times better. We gotta get past this inferiority complex.
Your daughter is right. And for some amount of kids in-state, they also share that.

But I think you're just failing to acknowledge that for other kids, they don't agree. Even ignoring the "wanna get away" aspect of it, for a second.

I agree with your daughters choice as well, but many kids feel this way. It's not an inferiority complex. There is a reason a ton of suburban kids venture out to Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, Madison, Stout, Eau Claire, etc...

Dismiss it and trash it all you want ... but for suburban and exurban kids, there is more than zero affect of the U being a very urban campus, with a perception of crime nearby and even on campus.
I'm not saying it's for everybody. Different strokes for different folks. But the idea that you can't begin to disrupt the caravan of 4-star talent to Madison because the U and Minneapolis inherently suck: I don't buy that for a minute. I know a crutch when I see one.

I'm not saying it's for everybody. Different strokes for different folks. But the idea that you can't begin to disrupt the caravan of 4-star talent to Madison because the U and Minneapolis inherently suck: I don't buy that for a minute. I know a crutch when I see one.
OK, tell me this then: do you notice any difference in the geography of the high schools between the recent Madison traitors, and the higher level kids Pitino has landed?

Top Bottom